Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Opinion: Mandatory Vaccination For COVID-19 Is Flawed - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Opinion: Mandatory Vaccination For COVID-19 Is Flawed (343 Views)

Bala Mohammed Tests Positive For COVID-19 / My Experience Trying To Get Tested For Covid-19 In Lagos / Enugu Conducts Mass Meningitis Vaccination For Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Mandatory Vaccination For COVID-19 Is Flawed by snthesis(m): 11:25pm On May 09, 2020
Sequel to the proposal by WHO for the mandatory world wide vaccination for the COVID-19 virus,
https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---4-may-2020
key note: "None of us can accept a world in which some people are protected while others are not. Everybody should be protected.

None of us are safe until all of us are safe"

here is my critique on the proposal and would welcome open discussion on it as well:

The basis for mandatory vaccination is flawed for the following reasons;
1. The proposed vaccine is meant to provide protection from the COVID-19 virus.

2. Once vaccinated the patient develops immunity to the COVID-19 virus

3. From reports, gestation period for the virus hasn't exceeded 3months from infection to death i.e for patients unable to build enough immunity/antibodies to fight the virus.

4. Thus the mandate is either you get vaccinated or risk getting infected and hope your own immunity system can fight off the virus i.e build your own antibodies /"pseudo self-vaccination".

5. In view of premise 1,2,3 and 4, un-vaccinated persons are at risk only to themselves and doesn't warrant the proposed world wide mandatory vaccination.

As such W.H.O calling for mandatory vaccination in response to the COVID-19 virus is flawed. the onus for W.H.O is to make the vaccination as cost effective/available as possible to enable all interested persons access to vaccination

Logical discussion only...

@seun
Re: Opinion: Mandatory Vaccination For COVID-19 Is Flawed by Jamesbiodun(m): 11:53pm On May 09, 2020
I want to comment but I don't really know what to type, is the vaccine available already? If it is how did the WHO get the vaccine so fast and know it effectiveness?
Re: Opinion: Mandatory Vaccination For COVID-19 Is Flawed by Seun(m): 9:15am On May 10, 2020
I don’t think he was talking about making vaccinations mandatory. He was talking about making the vaccine available to everybody. The truth is that, even when the vaccines become available, it will be difficult for people in poor countries to get vaccinated. Just as there is a shortage of PPE and test kits right now making it hard for poor countries (and rich countries with bad leaders) to protect their people, there will be a shortage of Coronavirus vaccines for a long time, and rich countries will get them first. The WHO might intervene to get health workers in poor countries vaccinated early but the rest of us will remain unprotected for a long while. People who afraid of mandatory vaccination will have nothing to worry about for a very long time, sadly.

The key to vaccine effectiveness is to get a large majority of people vaccinated. 60% and above, depending on the disease. If enough people volunteer to be vaccinated then there will be no need to make it mandatory. If not, then it must be mandatory. But we won’t have enough vaccines for everyone for a very long time.

6 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Opinion: Mandatory Vaccination For COVID-19 Is Flawed by snthesis(m): 9:29pm On May 10, 2020
Seun:
I don’t think he was talking about making vaccinations mandatory. He was talking about making the vaccine available to everybody. The truth is that, even when the vaccines become available, it will be difficult for people in poor countries to get vaccinated. Just as there is a shortage of PPE and test kits right now making it hard for poor countries (and rich countries with bad leaders) to protect their people, there will be a shortage of Coronavirus vaccines for a long time, and rich countries will get them first. The WHO might intervene to get health workers in poor countries vaccinated early but the rest of us will remain unprotected for a long while. People who afraid of mandatory vaccination will have nothing to worry about for a very long time, sadly.

The key to vaccine effectiveness is to get a large majority of people vaccinated. 60% and above, depending on the disease. If enough people volunteer to be vaccinated then there will be no need to make it mandatory. If not, then it must be mandatory. But we won’t have enough vaccines for everyone for a very long time.

I think your comment is contradictory in one line its not mandatory and in another it has a caveat of having 60% population willingly vaccinated or else it becomes mandatory.

well the fallout of this is that the Nigerian house of assembly was just about to pass the infectious disease bill (already passed 2nd reading), the bill which in summary will contravene the fundamental human rights by forceful vaccination and grant the DG of NCDC autonomous powers, which i believe is far reaching, vaccination should be by individual choice.

a Public review of the Bill is scheduled this week and its important that clarification is provided to enlighten the citizens.
Re: Opinion: Mandatory Vaccination For COVID-19 Is Flawed by snthesis(m): 9:31pm On May 10, 2020
Jamesbiodun:
I want to comment but I don't really know what to type, is the vaccine available already? If it is how did the WHO get the vaccine so fast and know it effectiveness?
Research is ongoing, while some countries like U.K has started human trials

(1) (Reply)

Nobody Treated Us, Niger COVID-19 Discharged Patients Allege / Health Benefits Of Tiger Nuts You May Not Know / Types Of Cough: How To Prevent Chronic Cough Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.