Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,749 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

The Last Bus - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Bus (35583 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:00pm On Jun 09, 2020
Chapter Six
The Cave
(Episode 12)

Without thinking twice, I dived after Amitabh and grabbed his hand just at the nick of time and held on to a rung of the guardrail with my other hand. Amitabh dangled above the crocodiles. I tried to pull him up, but the oscillatory movement of the bridge made it difficult. The crocodiles went into a frenzy and kept leaping from the water to catch him. Their jaws clapped with a loud noise each time they caught empty air inches below is his legs, and they splashed up water into the air upon landing into the water. Every time the crocs missed, Amitabh yelled and Sister Elizabeth's Blood of Jesus! grew louder. Both Amitabh and I sweated profusely. I grunted every time I pulled. Oh, this wasn't getting any easier!

The bridge started quaking, and I knew we had little time left. My ears tickled; it picked up a shattering sound. My heart jumped to my mouth. I prayed it wasn't what I was thinking. Holy Father in Heaven! It was exactly as I feared. The deck began shattering into pieces from the beginning of the bridge and was racing towards us in a domino reaction. Fatima, Lilian, and Sister Elizabeth cupped their faces in their palms. Just when I had lost all hopes, Michael rushed down—at the risk of his own life—and grabbed my hand and started pulling. The next thing I knew was that Ubong was pulling Michael and Fiona was pulling Ubong. The very moment they pulled us up, and we made it to the other side, the bridge crumbled down into the swamp.

Under normal circumstances, I would have collapsed to the ground to catch my breath and wrap my head around how I almost ended in the crocodiles' bellies. But this present condition would not permit that. We picked ourselves up immediately and began running. I spotted a big rock ahead and called out to the others to head to it. There must be a cave somewhere in it that could serve as a refuge from the weather. In an instant, the rain poured down, whipping our heads and backs like a soldier's koboko.

We ran into the cave, dripping of water. The cave was big but dark. Ubong's and Fatima's phones were still intact, so they switched on the torches. Immediately, the light illuminated the cave and cast out-of-proportion shadows on the walls. My teeth clattered. From the way the shadows on the wall were shivering as if they were locked down in a shaking contest, I knew I wasn't the only one feeling the biting cold. Since we had no source of heat, everyone engaged in different activities to keep ourselves warm. While some chafed their palms and placed them on their cheeks, others huddled together. Amitabh rested his head on his mother's laps and slept off. The rain raged on outside, ripping trees apart. Before long, we started sleeping off one after the other.

Fiona stood up instead and walked towards the entrance of the cave. She stood and stared at the rain outside while fiddling with the necklace around her neck, completely lost in thought. I approached her, wrapped my hands around her from behind and whispered into her ear, “what are you thinking about, beauty?” She relaxed and leaned back her body against mine. I felt the warmth of her body. She explained that she was thinking about all we had been through in the last five hours or so and expressed her fears over what laid ahead.

She turned around, still wrapped in my arms. It was then I noticed the crescent moon shaped pendant attached to the necklace. I held her hand and led her back inside. We sat down and had a heart-to-heart talk, and I encouraged her. She must have noticed the conviction burning in my eyes when I assured her that we would survive no matter what laid ahead. All along, she kept fiddling with the pendant as if it was a kind of good luck charm. Looking at her and the necklace, I was convinced it meant a great deal to her. I asked her about it, and she didn't hesitate to tell me the story behind the necklace.

The necklace once belonged to her dying mother. Fiona was about seventeen at that time, and her mother had been very ill. Even after several efforts and money, her condition didn't improve. On the day she eventually died, her mother had held Fiona's hand and placed the necklace with the pendant in her palm. She forced a smile and told her that the chain would prove useful someday. Shortly after uttering those words, her mother died in her hands. I saw the pain she carried in her heart when she narrated the story. She must have loved that woman dearly. Since that day, she had never taken the necklace off. It had proved to be a tangible reminder of her mother's love, pain, and motivation to fight for life.

I drew her closer and rocked her shoulder while she nestled her head on mine. We both said nothing anymore. I couldn't think of a better way to comfort her. We remained in that position until sleep took the better of both of us.

By the time we woke up, the day had already broken, and the rain had stopped. The ray of light from the rising sun filtered through the trees and shone into the cave, giving us a better view of our surrounding. It was then I realised that the cave was bigger than we had imagined. I saw what appeared to be an entrance to a tunnel. It was so dark that it sent cold shivers down my spine. One after the other, others woke up too. Some yawned. Some stretched, and others did both.

Fatima suggested that we checked the cave perhaps we could find items that might be useful to us. The idea sounded good, and we started combing the cave. I saw some ancient inscriptions and drawings on the walls of the cave that intrigued me. Fatima wandered off deeper into the cave. Her leg hit a hard spherical object on the floor. She looked down and immediately froze and screamed. When we rushed to her side, we were equally shocked by what we saw.

In front of us were skulls and human bones. There were plenty of them littering the ground from that point on. I looked at Michael, and he returned my gaze. Lilian wanted to scream, but Biggie quickly covered her mouth.

“Sshhhhhhh!” I signalled to all to seal their mouths and carefully backtrack.

However, Fatima could not move. She remained glued to the same spot, whimpering. She covered her mouth with one hand and pointed towards the tunnel with the other. We all turned our eyes to the direction and froze too.

To be continued ... Watch Out for the Next Episode!

NB: The book is NOW AVAILABLE on online stores. For those who can't hold the suspense, get the book here:

1. BAMBOOKS: https://bambooks.io/Book/BookDetail/The-Last-Bus/12725

2. OKADABOOKS: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_bus/33597

3. LITIRESO: https://litireso.com/library/B-530ykalgylh2

4. SMASHWORDS: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1024020

Àdùkẹ́!
...My Story, My World.

Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/adukestories/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Last Bus by becca2017(f): 7:38pm On Jun 09, 2020
[

Well, after reading this last part, I froze too!!!
Thanks for the update sir

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by EkopSparoAyara(m): 8:38pm On Jun 09, 2020
Great team work there.. Am glad they all survived, at least for now..It would have been disheartening if the young lad died in such a horrific manner,it would have literally killed his mother.

Even in all the chaos, they kept pushing on, and by a stroke of luck, the found shelter before the weeping cloud descended heavily on them..

Maybe, just maybe,the cloud was actually weeping for the fate that is about to befall them in the cave..

Yet again another suspenseful suspense. The next episode will bring calmness to my raging curiosity..

BRAVO JAMESKUDOOSKI...

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 09, 2020
Been long I read something like this

I intend to promote investments like HYIP, MLM, FOREX, binary options, and cryptocurrencies but I nor wan chop ban
Re: The Last Bus by cassbeat(m): 9:03pm On Jun 09, 2020
JamesKudooski:

Thank you, cassbeat. And you are welcome to My Story, My World.
Thanks bro
Re: The Last Bus by skubido(m): 10:37pm On Jun 09, 2020
JamesKudooski:

Skuuuuuuuuuubidooooo! It's been a while. We no even see your brake light at all at all.

Hope you're good?

Naso baba, i dey gentle jhor

Baba am good oooo, over good self dey worry me...

How your side?

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Ann2012(f): 10:54pm On Jun 09, 2020
Suspense and action filled.....I like it cheesy

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Reva1(m): 11:02pm On Jun 09, 2020
JamesKudooski:

NB: The book is NOW AVAILABLE on online stores. For those who can't hold the suspense, get the book here:

2. OKADABOOKS: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/the_last_bus/33597

Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/adukestories/

That's me bolded there and I went to okadabooks and paid for it. However, when I clicked on the chapters, I got an 'error 404' response, which I think means the pages are not available. Please look into this biko.
Awesome story!

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 11:16pm On Jun 09, 2020
Reva1:

That's me bolded there and I went to okadabooks and paid for it. However, when I clicked on the chapters, I got an 'error 404' response, which I think means the pages are not available. Please look into this biko.
Awesome story!

Oh! Sorry about that.

Thank you, Reva1 for the patronage.

However, the book is okay and opening without any error. It might be that it didn't download well when you downloaded it.

I suggest you delete it completely from your app and re-download it again. Deleting completely means that after deleting the first time, you will go to your archives and also delete it from there.

If the issue still persists, please let me know.

Thanks.
Re: The Last Bus by Lilly4endu(f): 11:40pm On Jun 09, 2020
Thank God that Amitabh didn't end up in the cocs bellies. In this dangerous adventure Akin has 4gotten the normal lesson of life, that dangerous animals lives in caves..... God will continue be with them.

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:06am On Jun 10, 2020
Lilly4endu:
Thank God that Amitabh didn't end up in the cocs bellies. In this dangerous adventure Akin has 4gotten the normal lesson of life, that dangerous animals lives in caves..... God will continue be with them.

This babe.. I have e-admiration for you oh..

I hope say you no be person wife oh..
grin
Lilly4endu:

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Kaycee9242(m): 3:42am On Jun 10, 2020
nice one op u are doing great

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Reva1(m): 7:17am On Jun 10, 2020
JamesKudooski:

I suggest you delete it completely from your app and re-download it again. Deleting completely means that after deleting the first time, you will go to your archives and also delete it from there.

If the issue still persists, please let me know.

Thanks.

Fixed now! Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:35am On Jun 10, 2020
Reva1:

Fixed now! Thanks

Better.

Thanks once more for the patronage. I know you will enjoy it.

Happy reading.
Re: The Last Bus by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 10, 2020
JamesKudooski:

Better.

Thanks once more for the patronage. I know you will enjoy it.

Happy reading.
I just paid for it from Okadabooks but am yet to get confirmation for the money to reflect. I USE mtn sha

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 12:26pm On Jun 10, 2020
Macro231101:
I just paid for it from Okadabooks but am yet to get confirmation for the money to reflect. I USE mtn sha

Did you mean you refilled your Okadabooks account and the money is not reflecting?

If yes, kindly send a screenshot to themechanic@okadabooks.com.

You can also send it to my whatsapp no: 08028460247 so that I can follow up for you.

Thanks.
Re: The Last Bus by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
JamesKudooski:

Did you mean you refilled your Okadabooks account and the money is not reflecting?

If yes, kindly send a screenshot to themechanic@okadabooks.com.

You can also send it to my whatsapp no: 08028460247 so that I can follow up for you.

Thanks.
which screen shot.. I was asked to transfer 300naira to a number though and it WS successful...that's d number I transferred 300 to.

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2020
Macro231101:
which screen shot.. I was asked to transfer 300naira to a number though and it WS successful...that's d number I transferred 300 to.

Have you filled the refill form on your app?

If yes and it's still not going, please send a mail to themechanic@okadabooks.com.

I'll follow up too. But let me know if nothing happens even after filling the form.

Thank you.
Re: The Last Bus by Lilly4endu(f): 2:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
[quote author=EkopSparoAyara post=90498858]
I hope say you no be person wife oh.. grin Thanks dear. I am ooooh. Just - 3.

2 Likes

Re: The Last Bus by PrudySara(f): 2:43pm On Jun 10, 2020
I'm tensed reading every episode. I pray they all survive this ordeal.
Thumbs up JamesKudooski

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
I have filled the refill form and even sent dem message on Gmail but no respond yet.
JamesKudooski:

Have you filled the refill form on your app?

If yes and it's still not going, please send a mail to themechanic@okadabooks.com.

I'll follow up too. But let me know if nothing happens even after filling the form.

Thank you.
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 3:16pm On Jun 10, 2020
Macro231101:
I have filled the refill form and even sent dem message on Gmail but no respond yet.

OK, I'll follow up.

But please send me the screenshot on WhatsApp. I can't download it here. Include your username on Okadabooks.

Thank you.
Re: The Last Bus by damis28crown(f): 9:37pm On Jun 10, 2020
JamesKudooski:

Damis28crown,
Let's pray he does oooooo. Anyway, you will soon find out.
And you are welcome to My world too.
awwww thank u

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:28am On Jun 11, 2020
becca2017:
[

Well, after reading this last part, I froze too!!!
Thanks for the update sir

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:30am On Jun 11, 2020
EkopSparoAyara:
Great team work there.. Am glad they all survived, at least for now..It would have been disheartening if the young lad died in such a horrific manner,it would have literally killed his mother.

Even in all the chaos, they kept pushing on, and by a stroke of luck, the found shelter before the weeping cloud descended heavily on them..

Maybe, just maybe,the cloud was actually weeping for the fate that is about to befall them in the cave..

Yet again another suspenseful suspense. The next episode will bring calmness to my raging curiosity..

BRAVO JAMESKUDOOSKI...

I love this imagery!!!! You are good, bro.

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:32am On Jun 11, 2020
skubido:

Naso baba, i dey gentle jhor

Baba am good oooo, over good self dey worry me...

How your side?

I'm good too, thanks to Jehovah.

Stay safe!

1 Like

Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:34am On Jun 11, 2020
Ann2012:
Suspense and action filled.....I like it cheesy

Thanks for the update

Glad you like it.

Enjoy.
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:38am On Jun 11, 2020
Lilly4endu:

Guess you are right, Lilly4endu but in that situation, anybody would have done the same. Being in a cave seemed a better option than staying in the open under such heavy downpour that was ripping giant trees apart.

Don't you think so?
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:39am On Jun 11, 2020
EkopSparoAyara:

grin

Hmmmmmmmmm....
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:40am On Jun 11, 2020
Kaycee9242:
nice one op u are doing great

Thanks, baba.
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:42am On Jun 11, 2020
[quote author=Lilly4endu post=90518204][/quote]

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The Last Bus by JamesKudooski(m): 7:43am On Jun 11, 2020
PrudySara:
I'm tensed reading every episode. I pray they all survive this ordeal.

Thumbs up JamesKudooski

PruuuuuudySara,

Good to have you back. It's a long while.

I join you in your prayer too ooo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Corper Sam's Funny Story...don't Laugh Please / THE UNIVERSITY PRESTOS….episode 1 / “I Strongly Disagree With Prof. Soyinka” - Chimamanda Adichie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.