Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,163 members, 7,860,170 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:16 AM

Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front (771 Views)

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Rooted Phones / Infinix S5: Unboxing & Review Of The First Punch Hole Device By Infinix / Xiaomi Redmi 5 Unboxing Honest Review Pros And Cons Pics Included (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front by bmdmixer: 12:47pm On May 14, 2020
Since its inception, the notch - that black-out area to the top of many flagship phones where the front-facing camera and sensors hide - has been a divisive smartphone design.

Many want an uninterrupted full-screen experience, yet won't forego that selfie camera. And the hole-punch camera is changing all that - most recently on the Samsung Galaxy S20 series which features a central hole-punch camera.

Last year's Galaxy S10+ even featured dual front cameras punched into the display, but that has been superseded.

Over the last couple of years, we've seen brands experimenting with all kinds of solutions. From the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3's and Honor Magic 2's slider phone mechanism - we take a closer look at that here - to Vivo's full dual-screen approach in the NEX Dual Display. All have their merits and downsides.

Then there's the hole-punch camera, as first seen outside of China in the Honor View 20, which wraps the front-facing camera into a small circular area within the screen itself. No big notch, no big distraction? That's the theory.

And now with Honor, Samsung, Motorola and many others with this setup available on the market, what are the good, the bad and the ugly truths about this design?

The upsides

There's no unsightly notch
The most obvious benefit of a hole-punch solution is that it's far smaller than a notch, thus doesn't get in the way of your viewing experience overall.

In the Honor V20 the camera is placed in an area where the default software-derived blackout strip occurs, so for many apps and much of the software experience, it's hidden from view by default.

Full-screen really means full-screen

Many apps can be designated as full-screen - and in the V20 that really does mean full screen. Apps can extend beyond the hole-punch to the outer edge of the display, for full immersion, especially on 6.4-inch screen size.

It puts the camera in a good place - no slider/second screen required

With a slider phone, such as the Honor Magic 2, the camera pops-up by pulling the upper screen portion down. While that sounds great, it means various dust and debris can get into the area where the camera is hidden. With the hole-punch solution that's no such issue.

The downsides

It's a potential distraction

One of the most obvious downsides is how suddenly apparent the hole-punch can be when an app goes full-screen. After all, it's a totally black area, which really shows up on a bright screen. Sometimes that'll see your eyes dart towards it.

It can get in the way of operation

The other potential issue is that the hole-punch area can hide specifics within an app. One example we've found is video adverts that have the close 'x' positioned almost exactly where the front camera is - which makes hitting it to close the ad a little trickier than it could be. It's not a common issue though.

Furthermore not all apps have to run in full-screen mode - in the Honor V20 it's possible to designate per-app whether you want a black-out strip (notch style, we suppose) to contain the app within a given space.

source
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/146822-hole-punch-camera-vs-notch-vs-slider-honor-samsung.amphtml

1 Share

Re: Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front by Holumhidey(m): 1:14pm On May 14, 2020
Iphone11 is out, and i have not even used iphone1
Re: Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front by seunfly: 6:25pm On May 14, 2020
Punchhole itself is not the end game, i believe it is temporary solution just like notch was and in a year or 2years time, phone design will move to under the screen camera. Huawei has already pioneered the inscreen acounstic speaker, Nokia, samsung, OPPO and host of others are working on under the screen camera sensor which is the end game for this cuthole/punchole or notch phone design.
Re: Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front by bmdmixer: 6:33pm On May 14, 2020
seunfly:
Punchhole itself is not the end game, i believe it is temporary solution just like notch was and in a year or 2years time, phone design will move to under the screen camera. Huawei has already pioneered the inscreen acounstic speaker, Nokia, samsung, OPPO and host of others are working on under the screen camera sensor which is the end game for this cuthole/punchole or notch phone design.
i will prefer under screen cam, a hole on d screen is just a no no for me
Re: Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front by seunfly: 6:59pm On May 14, 2020
bmdmixer:
i will prefer under screen cam, a hole on d screen is just a no no for me

There are other options available such as motoriaed pop u camera, OPPO switch càmera, double screen camera pioneered by ZTE etc, how ever those options are either expensive to produce or too complicated which might lead to possible part failure. Like i v said before they are all temporary solution
I believe flagship may start to have under display camera sensor by mid of 2021 while midrange may start to have it by 2022.
Re: Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front by bmdmixer: 12:42pm On May 21, 2020
yh d motorised one seem ok, but dat aspect of phones being dropped, some thing tells me it won't last
Re: Is The Hole-punch Camera Here To Stay? We Look At The Pros And Cons Of The Front by skywalker240(m): 2:48pm On May 21, 2020
cheesy

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Phone Urgently Budget Is 40k!! / How Much Is A Fairly Used Iphone 8? / When Will The Ban On SIM Cards And Registration Be Lifted?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.