Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,525 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

How Banks And Telcos Can Stop Telephone Scammers - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Banks And Telcos Can Stop Telephone Scammers (271 Views)

NIMC Portal Breaks Down, Banks, Telcos, Passport Issuance Suffer / Housewife Stabs Husband To Death Over Telephone Call / Scammers Are Using Dooshima Dennis, Pretty Female Firefighter's Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Banks And Telcos Can Stop Telephone Scammers by trueconscience(m): 6:51pm On May 15, 2020
Seeing the way fraudsters are having a field day conning people of funds,can be reallly painful and if let unchecked, the innocent public and vulnerable ones would lose their heads. How do we put an end / discourage this criminal business? Lets read on.

Recently, an elderly man ran to me, crying about debit alerts he received from his bank after giving his
account details to a David Eguavon, a "First Bank Staff" and though I pitied him and assisted him with some amount of money, there was little else I could do so I started thinking of how to protect Bank customers and prevent them from being scammed. However, for my idea to work, there is the need for cooperation between Banks, telephone companies and the EFCC.

How do these scammers operate? First, they get access to your BVN details (from coniving bank staff or nibss portal?) and using the information there in, they pull-in their preys and convince them they are bank staff and then extract sensitive account information which would now be used to make unauthorized transactions.

The simplest way to stop this ugly trend is still through SIM REGISTRATION but with another step : TELCOS should show the REGISTRATION DETAILS OF ALL INCOMING CALLS. Just like Apps like Truecaller etc, the networks - (Glo, Airtel, MTN , Etisalat etc) should protect customers by BEING THE ONES TO INTRODUCE ALL INCOMING CALLS. When ever a call is coming in, the Telcos should provide the details with which the number is registered on their platform to the call reciever and Unregistered numbers too should also be declared as Unregistered to serve as a caveat to the reciepient.

Is this wrong? As a caller, once you dial someone and you don't want your identity to be known then you have no business making that call. The same way Banks are protecting their platforms from being used for money laundering and other criminal activities is the same way the Telcos should be wired but to get this right, the first step is correct and complete registration of ALL CUSTOMERS' SIM cards. Every sim should be tied to a face, name, and address.

If a scammer calls you and he is aware you have information about his true identity ( real name) would he still be keen on swindling you when he is aware the next knock on his door might be the police? Yes, you are right. Crimes and fraudulent activities prospers in the dark. When the will of anonymity is removed from the scammers/criminals, they won't proceed with their devilish enterprise, would they?

That the Telcos should also be held liable for exposing their customers' vulnerability via non-registration and faulty registration of SIM cards is going to be a good measure to protect bank customers and also safeguard the national security so that actions of kidnappers and terrorists can be easily identified and curtailed.

What measures would you be advising too?
Re: How Banks And Telcos Can Stop Telephone Scammers by PresidentAtiku(m): 8:27pm On May 15, 2020
All these rubbish SIM registration they do at junctions and on the road side?

Those rogues can even register to be a telco agent, use false/pseudo names and images/information to register a SIM and still perpetuate their fraud unhindered.

I CURSE them all. They will never end well
Re: How Banks And Telcos Can Stop Telephone Scammers by trueconscience(m): 11:28pm On May 15, 2020
PresidentAtiku:
All these rubbish SIM registration they do at junctions and on the road side?

Those rogues can even register to be a telco agent, use false/pseudo names and images/information to register a SIM and still perpetuate their fraud unhindered.

I CURSE them all. They will never end well

The liability will be on the Telephone company. Whatever their agents do is on their necks. They should ensure their agents are well-supervised and a good government ID can be used for better SIM registration in which the BVN can also be a plus.

With an enriched SIM registration data base, we are safer

(1) (Reply)

Man Bags 7 Years Jail Term For Raping 15-year-old Girl And Biting Her Clitoris / Reason Why I Stabbed My Husband To Death-18yrs Old Wife / Kidnappers Panic Over Plan To Destroy Camps In Delta Bushes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.