Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,798 members, 7,817,308 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) (1204 Views)

Mountain Of Gold In Congo: Villagers Discover A Mountain Full Of Gold In Congo / Tiger Power Is Dead, Kenya Strongest Man Dies At 72 Years (photos) / Isha Sesay Exits CNN After 13 Years (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 16, 2020
Villagers living up a remote 800-meter (2,624-foot) clifftop in southwest China that became famous for the precarious ladders connecting it to the world have been moved to a new urban housing estate.

Atule'er, a 200-year-old village in Sichuan province, made headlines around the world when photographs emerged in 2016 of schoolchildren descending the cliff on unsteady rattan ladders -- or "sky ladders," as locals called them.

The two-hour climb was the villagers' only way to access the outside world, and they had to carry farm produce down the cliff to sell at the nearest market miles away.

In recent years, local authorities replaced their hand-made ladders with a steel one that featured handrails, drastically shortening their travel time.

This week, however, 84 households of Atule'er left the ladders behind for good, resettling in apartment blocks closer to the town center of Zhaojue county, 75 kilometers (46 miles) away, China's state-run news agency Xinhua reported.

Their new apartments range from 25 square meters (269 square feet) to 100 square meters (1,076 square feet), and have modern kitchens, toilets, running water, electricity and gas, according to state broadcaster CGTN.

"I'm very happy that today I got a very good house," villager Mose Laluo told CGTN.

"After moving to the county, life will be very convenient for my family. My children will go to school easily, and hospital services will be convenient too." Not all villagers have been relocated, however -- about 30 households are planning to stay.

Atule'er has become a tourist attraction in recent years. In 2019, 100,000 visitors generated nearly 1 million yuan ($140,878) for the village, according to Xinhua.

Further development will service that industry, with officials planning to build a cable car to carry tourists up and down the cliff, the state-run news site Paper.cn reported.
Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/15/asia/china-cliff-top-village-relocation-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 16, 2020

Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Tissaia(f): 6:47pm On May 16, 2020
Columbus
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Eife(m): 7:11pm On May 16, 2020
shocked
Instead of relocating them, why not build hospitals and schools for them up there, also find faster ways to go up and also come down
many people would love to visit and explore
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by GodPunishBiafra: 7:19pm On May 16, 2020
Wu Send dem?

E pay dem nau.
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by ReneeNuttall(f): 7:53pm On May 16, 2020
And here i am o, to even climb stair case of a two_storey building I will be gasping for air.These ain't ordinary people.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Ghostrye: 8:24pm On May 16, 2020
How will they not be living up to 150 years old, see the amount of exercise they are doing up-and-down
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by CaptainStephen(m): 10:03pm On May 16, 2020
I for like stay here oo
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by FlordFlorez(m): 11:14pm On May 16, 2020
That place could be very peaceful considering its location. The view from that top would be magnificient. I would like to explore but chikos hate blacks.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Nobody: 11:23pm On May 16, 2020
FlordFlorez:
That place could be very peaceful considering its location. The view from that top would be magnificient. I would like to explore but chikos hate blacks.
It would be peaceful, but climbing a cliff for two hours and with heavy stuffs for those going to sell in the markets... lipsrsealed shocked

1 Like

Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by FlordFlorez(m): 11:30pm On May 16, 2020
Macsjebs:

It would be peaceful, but climbing a cliff for two hours and with heavy stuffs for those going to sell in the markets... lipsrsealed shocked
but its doing more good than bad. Its liken to exercise.
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 16, 2020
FlordFlorez:
but its doing more good than bad. Its liken to exercise.
True sha,

But I feel for the kids sha
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by FlordFlorez(m): 11:53pm On May 16, 2020
Macsjebs:

True sha,

But I feel for the kids sha
im sure it has become part of them just as we have to endure Nigerian politics and politicians.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by joshjc(m): 9:56am On May 17, 2020
Interesting
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Everrest9(m): 6:35pm On May 17, 2020
They get mind to climb that shiit.
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Danny50: 11:26pm On May 17, 2020
World leaders are busy spending money on weapons people are suffering and dying everyday imagine those kids am seeing..
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by panafrican(m): 3:54am On May 18, 2020
They are probably healthier than most of those who live in cities.
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by BlackfireX: 1:01am On May 19, 2020
All our politicians in Nigeria, supposed to do NYSC at this location for 9 months
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 20, 2020
Only one question bugging my mind...

What could possibly have informed their ancestors' decision to relocate to such an aery location?

I don't know but I am tempted to think or believe that it must have been something to do with their security or safety.

I mean, it happened just 200 years ago, right? That means it's a very recent human settlement by many standards.

I suspect that it must have had something to do with China's very turbulent past.

And this isn't just about China. Many cliff or mountain settlements started off as mere havens for persons seeking refuge in times of conflicts.

I mean there are some examples in Nigeria too. A good example: Olumo rock.

Tough kids by the way.
Re: Chinese Villagers Lived 2,600 Feet Up A Remote Cliff For 200 Years (Photos) by EmeraldKing7(m): 1:05am On May 21, 2020
How do they breathe up there? Oxygen is thinnner at high altitudes
Their respiratory system go strong ooh

(1) (Reply)

Updates on US Presidential Election / Isreal The God's Nation / Israel Outrage At Russian Claim That Hitler Was Part Jewish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.