Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly (41634 Views)

I Finished My Salary Before 24hrs (picture) / Reasons Why I Don't Tell People My Salary / Appointment Terminated Unjustly And The Staff Asked To Refund Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 20, 2020
My people, he should tell us the job descriptions for that job. Was there Medical examination before employment or the employer believed he is medically fit having worked in similar environment. Did he tell them his medical condition before employment?

Depending on your level, you cannot work on board a ship and be allergic to ocean. You cannot determine where to work except it is agreed on your terms of employment. Having being on suspension, you are already in the bad book of company politics. Just endure and look for another job or return to your former place if it is possible.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Jokerman(m): 2:20pm On May 20, 2020
Thomthom:
All this private work palaver.. my next life I want to be a successful business man..

But you would still employ people to work in your private business too
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by bigtt76(f): 2:27pm On May 20, 2020
Sad really but look at it this way.

1. At your former company, you didn't work at the production but got N40k. Now at the new company, you were probably paid more for you to work on the production line.

2. I assume the fumes from the chemical is what affects you health wise, it's not for you to diagnose this. Best you could've done was get a medical report from a reputable or company's hospital to be exempted from the production line if the chemicals were in use.

3. Request for an industrial respirator to protect you from the fumes. I expect them to do this without you asking though.

4. By refusing to do what you were instructed to do could cost your employer negatively hence your suspension which is in order. You left undone the action required of you till the next day and didn't report it undone until you were asked. Your boss expectations was that you had done it.

5. The rent loan has tied you to the company's apron for now, either you do what is required of you or risk losing your job.

I wonder what sort of company employs you without medical tests to confirm you can work in their environment, it's even against the labour law. You shouldn't be forced working in an unsafe environment but you probably erred by not presenting a medical report to exempt you from such during your interview.

PhenomenalAustin:
I'm sorry for bothering you all but please hear me out.

I'm posting this on behalf of my uncle.

I was working in a company, and was being paid 40,000 a month not including other allowances. A new company called me to work with them as an Officiator and we negotiated a salary of 60,000.

Both companies produce the same products.

They agreed to pay and I resigned from the other company. I started my new job in Oct. last year and was paid all through Oct., Nov. and Dec.

Earlier this year, January precisely, I had a little issue with my boss. The misunderstanding was that I complained to him that the chemicals we use during productions was adversely affecting me. In the previous company where I worked, I didn't work during the production of the products as I was allergic to the chemicals used.

On a working day, during the time for production, he asked me to join in the production but I politely reminded him about my allergies to the chemicals being used. He commanded me while shouting that I should go back and work. I normally have heart burns, dizziness and severe migraines when I'm exposed to these chemicals.
I left during production as the chemical adversely affected me.

The next day, he came and asked if I had finished the work he commanded me to do the previous day. I apologised to him that I didn't because of the chemicals rxns which he knew about. He didn't say anything but from his body language, I thought everything was alright.

I returned the following day, only to receive a 2-week suspension notice. I was surprised and asked about my offense which the General manager told me, the boss was really pissed and so mad at me which I also explained to the GM and he was really surprised as I did no wrong. Nonetheless, he advised I serve my suspension sentence.

After suspension, I was given a review of my salary and my salary was slashed by 20,000 to 40,000 because of the issue...

I was really confused and bewildered because out of the revised 40,000 I receive per month, the company takes 15,000 out of it for my rent loan...

I've been apologising while also pleading with my boss to reconsider his decision as I'm a family man and 25,000 realistically, will not be sufficient for I and my family. He hasn't yet changed his stance.

I'm so confused, please I need your opinions, suggestions and help whatsoever..

I'm sorry for bothering you.. Thanks

Please help me out please... My uncle is really down at the moment...

Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Bluffly: 2:27pm On May 20, 2020
Are there no safety gears to wear to prevent you from inhaling those chemicals. If they don't give you, improvise and stop complaining or leave the job if you can't afford it
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by mechanics(m): 2:27pm On May 20, 2020
Sorry for that, but did you tell the new company that you are allegic to chemicals, if not you should be blamed, and if you knew you will work in the production department, you shouldn't have taken the job, you should have just stayed in your previous place, be that as it may, my advice is for you to either go back to your former work and beg them to accept you back or you look for another work, I know how it feels for you to depend on ₦25,000 for a month and being a family man, it's well.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by PeaceNexus(m): 2:27pm On May 20, 2020
Let me say that I have been in your boss shoes before and I can quite relate.

I had a similar experience. I took people who work in the production chemistry lab on a safety course ; how to manage some of the chemicals especially the solvents.

After one week, one of the employees approached me that she was reacting to toulene (chemical used in water content in crude).

I noticed that it was probably a combination of fear and inappropriate use of PPEs. I told her that if she can't work with solvents then she might have to be relived of her job, meanwhile, we are substituting toulene with xylene for the mean time to see how she fared.

I asked the supervisor to get toulene and label it xylene which he did. I asked the young lady to come and do some work using the supposed "xylene". I ensured that she utilized appropriate PPEs.

I watched her carry out the test till the end and nothing happened. I asked her to observe herself and report back to me. After several trials she came to tell me that she was fine with xylene grin grin, no reactions observed.

I explained to her that she has been working with toulene the entire time and since she hasn't noticed any reaction she would have to continue. But she should report to me if she notices any further reaction.

And that was the end of the story of her reacting to toulene. She never complained again. I'd use it as joke and everyone would just laugh.

So Mr. Man, kindly be sure that you use the PPEs appropriately.

If the reaction persists, honestly demonstrate that you would want to work if not for the reaction. Don't go and start doing strong head.
Someone was talking about going to your employment letter and taking the case against your company Don't even bother because there is always this suttle clause in the letter that says "...and any other role as maybe assigned to you...."... Resolve your matter amicably sir.

Judging from your account, you left the work and never updated your boss until he asked you.....

you didn't employ yourself fella and no one wants to employ you and then you select what to do and what not to do.

I wish you luck. It isn't easy but it's well
PhenomenalAustin:

I was working in a company, and was being paid 40,000 a month not including other allowances. A new company called me to work with them as an Officiator and we negotiated a salary of 60,000.

They agreed to pay and I resigned from the other company. I started my new job in Oct. last year and was paid all through Oct., Nov. and Dec.

Earlier this year, January precisely, I had a little issue with my boss. The misunderstanding was that I complained to him that the chemicals we use during productions was adversely affecting me. In the previous company where I worked, I didn't work during the production of the products as I was allergic to the chemicals used.

On a working day, during the time for production, he asked me to join in the production but I politely reminded him about my allergies to the chemicals being used. He commanded me while shouting that I should go back and work. I normally have heart burns, dizziness and severe migraines when I'm exposed to these chemicals.

The next day, he came and asked if I had finished the work he commanded me to do the previous day. I apologised to him that I didn't because of the chemicals rxns which he knew about. He didn't say anything but from his body language, I thought everything was alright.

I returned the following day, only to receive a 2-week suspension notice. I was surprised and asked about my offense which the General manager told me, the boss was really pissed and so mad at me which I also explained to the GM and he was really surprised as I did no wrong. Nonetheless, he advised I serve my suspension sentence.

After suspension, I was given a review of my salary and my salary was slashed by 20,000 to 40,000 because of the issue...

I was really confused and bewildered because out of the revised 40,000 I receive per month, the company takes 15,000 out of it for my rent loan...

I've been apologising while also pleading with my boss to reconsider his decision as I'm a family man and 25,000 realistically, will not be sufficient for I and my family. He hasn't yet changed his stance.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by MUYEEKFIRST(m): 2:30pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!
you resign from one company to another company because of pay. Well that serve you right for not be loyal and be patient to the first master.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Nobody: 2:31pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!

Why not try to use protective measures why handling the chemicals . I'm allergic to dust but I can handle dust very well without being affected
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Motivational324: 2:32pm On May 20, 2020
‪Queen Elizebath visit to Nigeria �� ‬
‪How African win their heart for independence ✨������‬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUHVEwlqFYg
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by femi4: 2:32pm On May 20, 2020
1030:
You can not earn 100% of your salary as long as you were placed on suspension.

If by the end of the month same amount of 40,000 less Housing loan is paid,you can fall back to your appointment letter where terms of employment and renumeration is clearly defined and seek for legal action against the company.

There was a downward review of his salary from 60k to 40k when he returned from suspension
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Jokerman(m): 2:33pm On May 20, 2020
Lol ... Greediness.

You see why some employers treat employees, coz when things take the curve, the employees bail and run grin
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Kingspin(m): 2:34pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

I've been apologising while also pleading with my boss to reconsider his decision as I'm a family man and 25,000 realistically, will not be sufficient for me and my family. He hasn't yet changed his stance.

I'm so confused, please I need your opinions, suggestions and help whatsoever.

I'm sorry for bothering you. Thanks

Please help me out, please... My uncle is really down at the moment...

Thanks!
Can't you manage any PPE while doing the job?
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by bamasite2: 2:37pm On May 20, 2020
How old are you?

That will determine my advice
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Kingspin(m): 2:38pm On May 20, 2020
iLegendd:
If you know you have lots of responsibilities or will have lots of responsibilities, try to be a master at all cost — legally.

If you know you won't have any responsibility in life and all money you make is for you and you alone till the end of time, then be a slave.

Just be a master first and don't worry about others yet.
Many bosses you see today passed through the servant level before becoming a master.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Branduche: 2:38pm On May 20, 2020
Your job has its terms and conditions.
Your responsibility should always be challenging not you challenging the responsibilities, giving it conditions is a bridge of agreement at first acceptance to do certain task. Since this act of yours is not scalable to the company, your salary will also not be attractive to you.

Your CEO is not doing anything wrong sir.

Cheers
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by bamasite2: 2:42pm On May 20, 2020
Good points
DirtyGold:
Let's remove emotions here, the loan money is what you've collected and used already.
The switch of job isn't the issue because, what you weren't doing in the other job is what you don't want to do in the current job which means equal pay on both sides. I'm sure what your boss wants you to do is an important aspect of your job which you're refusing to do - forget the earlier discussion - he won't employ someone else to do it or do it himself!

If you insist on doing the job and your health deteriorates badly, do you think the company will foot your medical bill? If no, then that pay cut is the price to pay for your health.

Besides, is there no way you can use some kinda equipment to protect yourself during production?

What's tha business?

1 Like

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by lomprico(m): 2:44pm On May 20, 2020
go n get a gas mask!

or look for another job.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Blessnelly(f): 2:49pm On May 20, 2020
Try looking 4 another job cos u neva can't tell whn he will sack u using dis same issue
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Ubiman(m): 2:50pm On May 20, 2020
Did you present a medical report of current state of health before resuming duties at your current place of work, which would state your health limitations? If yes,
do you have a copy of that particular report? If yes, then serve the fucking retard.

PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Emma1Oj(m): 2:51pm On May 20, 2020
ideabuilder:
Soorry o but unless if you have another job elsewhere, just take the small pay and manage it.

And try to make peace with your boss. It will do you a lot of good.

Nobody can help you here
" Nobody can help you here"?? you must definitely kn wen a child talks bcus dey mess up everywhere.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Trutherme: 2:54pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!
Unfortunately, no one from the company is here to defend these charges but I see insubordination here on your uncle's part. Your uncle has a case or can be transferred to another department if he can get a medical report from a doctor stating that he can't do his assigned job. It looks like his pay was cut because of the two weeks suspension. Not sure they can legally slash his salary without a written explanation. He should wait for his next salary to see if they will pay him 40k again.

3 Likes

Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by hush15: 3:02pm On May 20, 2020
michlins:
Something about change is that it usually comes with a price

Yep.

Sometimes, the grass is never greener on the other side. I am not saying we shouldn't desire more and pursue our goals but we should also be consider our peace of mind and contentment. The solution is a discerning heart and a discerning heart can only come from a prayerful and contrite heart.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by awa(m): 3:09pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks so much for this!

I'll relate this to him...I'm grateful

The advise is the best so far. I really hope your uncle learn to look before leaping
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 20, 2020
Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound a little like you're lazy. From what you have related your boss asked you to do specific duties that have to do with your job and you refused. How come you haven't figured out that the higher pay offered you by the new company goes hand in hand with a higher level of responsibility? Or you think it's a paid partial vacation where you maintain the same level of involvement as in your previous job but paid 20k more? Or, do you think an employer would simply employ you because he likes you, or more because he intends for you to increase his company's productivity and competitive advantage?

Please don't get it twisted. If you knew your health would not allow you to carry out certain fundamental aspects of your new job then you shouldn't have accepted their offer on the ground of health. But if what you're now required to do that is inimical to your health was not part of your job contract then I will advise you stop using mouth to communicate this to your boss. Go get a doctor's report. I must say that too many people shy away from their responsibilities on health ground. Get an official medical report from a government hospital and let it be filed at your company.

PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by CodeTemplar: 3:17pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks!
You wanted to go back to you former work place arrangement and they equally gave you your former salary In exchange for the unplanned exception. It is straight equation and logic.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by OVB123: 3:20pm On May 20, 2020
bmdmixer:
not possible
Na our people say "Road wey person nor fit pass ham come back." since u say is impossible no problem.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Ishilove: 3:22pm On May 20, 2020
PhenomenalAustin:

Thanks so much for this!

I'll relate this to him...I'm grateful
Can you get a genuine medical report to defend your claims before the company?
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by lanchy: 3:29pm On May 20, 2020
Buy FFP1, 2 or 3 Re-usable respirators and carry on, check online. Some are really awesome and you can be bathing in chemicals and not smell a damn thing just clean air.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Safety/Worker-Health-Safety/Personal-Protective-Equipment/Reusable-Respirators/?N=5002385+8709322+8711017+8711405+8720539+8720550&rt=r3
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by ideabuilder: 3:36pm On May 20, 2020
Emma1Oj:
" Nobody can help you here"?? you must definitely kn wen a child talks bcus dey mess up everywhere.

Mr Oga, instead of quoting me you for try to help OP na. You can recommend a good lawyer and policeman that will recover his lost money.

U better start working to know what it means to work in a company..
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Vicyace: 3:39pm On May 20, 2020
DirtyGold:
Let's remove emotions here, the loan money is what you've collected and used already.
The switch of job isn't the issue because, what you weren't doing in the other job is what you don't want to do in the current job which means equal pay on both sides. I'm sure what your boss wants you to do is an important aspect of your job which you're refusing to do - forget the earlier discussion - he won't employ someone else to do it or do it himself!

If you insist on doing the job and your health deteriorates badly, do you think the company will foot your medical bill? If no, then that pay cut is the price to pay for your health.

Besides, is there no way you can use some kinda equipment to protect yourself during production?

What's tha business?

Spoken like a typical Nigerian "one man business ownerc
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Cloud699999: 3:40pm On May 20, 2020
olamidedivotee:
go and read iLegend book

Shey that yahoo boy using books as disguise.
Re: Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly by Lessel: 3:45pm On May 20, 2020
In your subsequent negotiations with your boss, look at the possibility of personal protective equipment that can limit your exposure to the chemicals used for production. I'm sure your boss just want to get the maximum benefit of his investment on you as an employee. You will do same I guess as an employer.

Goodluck

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Two Workers Caught On CCTV Performing Rituals In Office (video) / Sade Adenuga Is Now A Barrister & Solicitor Of The Supreme Court Of Nigeria / This 24-year-old Makes Millions Playing FIFA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.