Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far (14942 Views)

AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo / Chelsea's Win Over Atletico Has Cost Barcelona A Bonus Loss Of 1.7 Million / Suspension Of Premier League Extended Until April 30 Amid Coronavirus Pandemic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by ogbiwa: 6:59am On May 22, 2020
Manchester United say the coronavirus pandemic has cost them an initial £28m - and expect the final figure to be far higher.

United revealed their third-quarter results to 31 March on Thursday.

Chief financial officer Cliff Baty said they are set to hand back £20m in TV revenue to broadcasters even if the Premier League season is completed.

United lost an additional £8m over the final three weeks of March, when they had three matches postponed.

A total of 11 United matches have been postponed because of the pandemic.

Speaking in a conference call after the latest financial results were released, Baty explained that Premier League television broadcasters would get £20m back from the club because of changes in dates and kick-off times resulting from the pandemic.

With games called off - including matches in the Europa League and FA Cup - Baty said that sponsorship revenues had "contracted", and that retail sales had been "impacted" with the club store at Old Trafford still closed.

He added that matchday revenues were "significantly impacted", with an acceptance games will be played behind closed doors for the foreseeable future.

Postponement of Tottenham game 'cost £4m'
United have refused to put a figure on what the anticipated overall financial cost of the pandemic will be ultimately - but executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said the major burden would fall in the current quarter, which runs to 30 June.

"Our third-quarter results reflect a partial impact that the pandemic has had on the club but the greater impact will be in the current quarter and likely beyond," said Woodward.

Revenues for the quarter fell by 18.7% to £123.7m. The club's debt rose by £124.4m to £429.1m.

Baty said the postponement of the Premier League trip to Tottenham on 15 March cost United £4m alone.

"These are unprecedented times and we must recognise that this crisis will not disappear overnight," said Woodward.

"However, our club is built on a solid foundation. We remain firmly optimistic about the long-term prospects for the club once we have worked our way through what is undoubtedly one of the most extraordinary and testing periods in the 142-year history of Manchester United."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52759246

4 Likes

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by logon599: 6:59am On May 22, 2020
Whoever still thinks football is just 22 grown men kicking a round leather around for 90 minutes, should think again. Football is a big deal in the UK and they don't joke with it. I heard Prince Williams contemplated going to watch the FA cup final immediately after his brother Prince Harry's wedding.

Happy birthday to me

Are you planning an upcoming building project and don't have a decent plan yet? Contact me to design the complete building drawings (architectural, as well as securing structural, mechanical, electrical and Bill of Quantities) all at VERY decent costs. See correspondence in my signature below or simply chat/call 0816 124 7898 to get started or see samples. Thank you

79 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by dheespectre: 7:09am On May 22, 2020

Too much money there..
Meanwhile, grow back bald and receding hairline without expensive hair transplant or surgery today. Also turns grey hair dark from the roots up. In 7 days, you'll get to see results.
N4999 a bottle.
081-6662-4268

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by RapistOnBail: 7:09am On May 22, 2020
tongue

Sell rashford and recoup

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Slawormir: 7:09am On May 22, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
logon599:
Wow so a club can make up to £4m from one match day alone. Whoever still thinks football is just 22 grown men kicking a round leather around for 90 minutes, should think again.
So you just dey realize now?
You are not a real niggarrr

21 Likes

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by GeneralPula: 7:09am On May 22, 2020
Damn it!
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Officialgarri: 7:10am On May 22, 2020
This Buhari government sef.....
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by ForeThinker: 7:10am On May 22, 2020
You can’t stop the future You can’t rewind the past The only way to learn the secret …is to press play.

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by ignis: 7:10am On May 22, 2020
Let me keep quiet. Did they know what Coronavirus have cost me?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by obataokenwa(m): 7:10am On May 22, 2020
And no good player worth morethan 20million pounds sef incase so as to cover up. Low grade club for now.
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Ikpa1: 7:10am On May 22, 2020
Nigeria governors will be solving equations now using the €28M as constant.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by smokeindasky(m): 7:11am On May 22, 2020
How old are you
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by smokeindasky(m): 7:12am On May 22, 2020
logon599:
Wow so a club can make up to £4m from one match day alone. Whoever still thinks football is just 22 grown men kicking a round leather around for 90 minutes, should think again.
you're just realizing? Must be a small boy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Sunnycliff(m): 7:12am On May 22, 2020
It will cost more, especially since stadium tickets are no longer been sold.

It's indeed a trying time across boards.

Glory glory united. My Blood is red

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by betterman22(m): 7:12am On May 22, 2020
This coro please pack your load and go because you have caused the world so much. From lost of love ones, economic meltdown, religious shutdown and lots more

1 Like

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Baileyz101(m): 7:12am On May 22, 2020
This are the set of people i can actually believe the figure of the amount they losed not Federal Government of Nigeria. If they sell Lord lingard they should be able to recover the said amount

9 Likes

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Nobody: 7:12am On May 22, 2020
The rate of poverty will triple after this pendamic
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Chirowman(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2020
football is moneybag
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by smokeindasky(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2020
ignis:
Let me keep quiet. Did they know what Coronavirus have cost me?
nothing order than woman
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Roon9(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2020
So you are broke now?
Heard their net debt is almost £500m grin

No wonder their coach was saying he doesn't need Jadon Sancho grin grin

I get am before no be property undecided
Rubbish

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Baileyz101(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2020
smokeindasky:
you're just realizing? Must be a small boy

Maybe he doesn't follow football update. Who knows

1 Like

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Demmtek(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2020
Am.not surprised a lots of clubs are already filing for bankruptcy Hopefully this will end soon, before those Arab billionaires come and be hijacking football clubs, right now they're all spectating club financial conditions so as to kick in there fraudulent support.

2 Likes

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by DrBasit(m): 7:14am On May 22, 2020
Arsenal will always remain buoyant. Man Utd may have to sell some of the their high wages players....

3 Likes

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Jack500: 7:14am On May 22, 2020
RapistOnBail:
tongue

Sell rashford and recoup

U must be a Chelsea fan, why would Man u sell Rashford when thier is Jones,lingard, Pereira and other dead woods

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by zoedew: 7:14am On May 22, 2020
But not your lives!
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Emax911: 7:14am On May 22, 2020
simple sell lingard
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Baileyz101(m): 7:15am On May 22, 2020
awhybliss:
The rate of poverty will triple after this pendamic

While the wealth of some will also triple. In his infinite mercy God should always put us among the fortunate ones

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by DenreleDave(m): 7:15am On May 22, 2020
Chai... I wish I was the coronavirus, I would av become rich now looking at what I av cost people

Guys check in.. How to survive heartbreak

https://www.nairaland.com/5874327/guys-stop-crying-girlfriend-doesnt
Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Emmyjb(m): 7:16am On May 22, 2020
God will create another avenue for everyone that has lost any thing in this pandemic period to be regain back in ten folds....

1 Like

Re: Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far by Nobody: 7:16am On May 22, 2020
Baileyz101:

While the wealth of some will also triple. In his infinite mercy God should always put is among the fortunate ones
yes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Basketball: D'Tigress Beats Mali, Qualify For FIBA 2022 World Cup / Xavi Hernandez Retires From Football / US Open 2019 Men's Final: Rafael Nadal Vs Daniil Medvedev Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.