Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,653 members, 7,813,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo (15749 Views)

Our Tactics Made Life Difficult For South Africa, Says Nigeria Coach Rohr / Chelsea FC Reacts To Omeruo's Performance / Kenneth Omeruo And Chioma Nnamani's Pre-Wedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by oshozondii: 7:19am On Feb 13
Super Eagles defender Kenneth Omeruo has admitted that the three-time African champions lost the Africa Cup of Nations final due to the tactics employed by the coaching crew.

The Nigerian side were defeated 2-1 by the hosts, ending the team’s dreams of a fourth continental crown.

Speaking after the game in a video posted on the social media, Omeruo stated that the Eagles played too deeply while dealing with a barren attack against the host nation.

“I don’t know. I think it wasn’t our day. We couldn’t create a lot of chances and we played too deep.”

Super Eagles observe a minute silence for Fans Who Died During South Africa match

The 2013 AFCON winner congratulated Ivory Coast but felt Nigeria’s shortcomings proved decisive before he revealed the mood in the Nigerian camp was one of deep disappointment.

“They (Super Eagles players) are sad, obviously,” he added. “It’s heartbreaking, they have worked hard and deserved to win this trophy but we’ve lost it.”

Looking ahead, the Turkey-based player stated: “For me, it’s back to my club, train and get ready for Friday’s game.”

Omeruo and Kasimpasa will host Fatih Karagumruk in a Super Lig encounter on Friday.

Meanwhile, Alex Iwobi has deleted photos from his Instagram page following Nigeria’s 2-1 loss to Ivory Coast.

Hours after the encounter, Iwobi who has been a subject of stiff criticism from fans, deleted photos from his Instagram handle for fear of cyber abuse.
https://dailytrust.com/afcon-omeruo-blames-eagles-loss-on-peseiros-tactics/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Quest7777: 7:22am On Feb 13
Abeg forget tactics. You guys tried but Ivory Coast was simply better in that Final - either because of their home advantage or the extra motivation they had by the miraculous way they qualified from the Group.

We played against 12men in that Final.
I strongly believe we would have won any other country aside Ivory Coast in that Final.

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Inobeyourmate: 7:27am On Feb 13
Una go use Mourino style, and e finally cost una 🤣🤣🤣

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by HeroicMeastro: 7:27am On Feb 13
oshozondii:

Rubbish!!
It is understandable to play well and still loose, but to play very poor and loose a final is miserable.
The super eagles played poorly in my general assessment.
How can a team play a FINAL like that? They should play better than this even if the whole world was against us.
Going forward, I think the NFF should better use homegrown players for tournaments like this. They have more hunger to win and infact they would play even better to sell their talent to the football world.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by HeroicMeastro: 7:28am On Feb 13
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by mytime24(f): 7:28am On Feb 13
Otilo

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Ladiesdoctor(m): 7:28am On Feb 13
Congratulations to the team for the Silver Medal

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Akalia(m): 7:29am On Feb 13
No blame games here. Una try shaa.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Wisejohnson47(m): 7:29am On Feb 13
You guys try, second position no easy, na men dey play the game

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by athaboi(f): 7:29am On Feb 13
E don do Abeg... what cost us the Economy, is it Buhari or his senior brother Tinubu? Or APC is just an evil party that Nigerians should have avoided from onset

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by pepperandsalt(m): 7:29am On Feb 13
Congratulations to you guys.
It wasn't easy

5 Likes

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Marvieduke(f): 7:30am On Feb 13
A game where there is no play maker, well at least we got silver from tournament, still I celebrate you guys..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by meum: 7:30am On Feb 13
Make I no talk wetin Dey my mind

3 Likes

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Kingrshd3: 7:30am On Feb 13
This guy dey yarn dust because to me all the matches they won are all by luck and in the finals the luck ran away..

because the highest goal they scored in all matches is just 1 goal 🥅

So luck is all around u

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by MikeMicheal(m): 7:31am On Feb 13
Una go final go dey play defence, mumuu team.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by santaclaws: 7:31am On Feb 13
At least they tried! They got to the finals. Only Nigeria and the host country made it that far...

All the countries trying to banter Nigeria are just making fools of themselves, cos you can't have 1 naira and mock someone with 10 naira.

We made it to the finals and it's arrogant to think we're the only country that deserved to win. Let's celebrate that small win. Super Eagles did well...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by joshjc(m): 7:31am On Feb 13
The coach cost us the match and should be fired

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by kennyz247(m): 7:31am On Feb 13
Coach with Zero modern football tactics

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by meedoLock(m): 7:31am On Feb 13
oshozondii:

Hiss!! Tell that to Sir Paseiro who watch the whole match few metres away from the pitch and didn't see anything bad in sitting deep for the most part of the game... undecided

6 Likes

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by money121(m): 7:31am On Feb 13
Ok
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Kingrshd3: 7:32am On Feb 13
Quest7777:
Abeg forget tactics. You guys tried but Ivory Coast was simply better in that Final - either because of their home advantage or the extra motivation they had by the miraculous way they qualified from the Group.

Those guys were just too good for them

4 Likes

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by erai30(m): 7:33am On Feb 13
Medicine after death, nation's cup is come and gone so no need for all these talk about playing deep or playing at the surface.
Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by GanagiBitrus: 7:33am On Feb 13
After Ivory Coast managed to qualify even after losing 4-0 to Eq Guinea
&somehow beat Senegal
&somehow beat Mali with 10men
I knew they were destined to win the AFCON. The whole country turned out for them & became the 12th man in their matches.

3 Likes

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by NaijaCowFarm: 7:33am On Feb 13
Abeg, go and watch the match. CIV outplayed the Eagles all round. From possession, shots at goal, shots on target, etc.
Eagles were just lucky, it would have been 5:0

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by geoworldedu: 7:34am On Feb 13
If I am a coach, after I have scored one goal, that is when I will start serious attack, especially when I have a team like super eagles who have many attackers like Moffi, Osimhen, Simon Moses, Chukwueze, Lookman. Wetin I dey find again?
I remembered wolfsburg vs Real Madrid Champions league that year. Wolfsburg won Real Madrid 2-0 first leg. They played Real Madrid hands down in that game. Then second leg they went for defence. Quickly within 20 mins real Madrid knack them 2-0. The mumu still kept playing defence till it turned 3-2. Then after that, Wolfsburg began to play them like small pikin again, but they couldn't equalise. No be mumu be that?
If you can read games as a coach, you will end up being a great coach.

When Super Eagles game became 1-1, as a coach I will tell them to switch to attacking football immediately. How will they equalise me and I will still remain vulnerable by playing defensive style?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Kingrshd3: 7:34am On Feb 13
NaijaCowFarm:
Abeg, go and watch the match. CIV outplayed the Eagles all round. From possession, shots at goal, shots on target, etc.
Eagles were just lucky, it would have been 5:0

God bless if not for our keeper that saved goals

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by Swanzi(m): 7:35am On Feb 13
Abi you guys didn't Cedis coming.
AYEW kidding me
9ja KUDUN't do it
So NO PARTEY for them😫😂😂

7 Likes

Re: AFCON: Our Tactics Cost Us The Final, We Played Too Deep - Omeruo by CapitalBank: 7:35am On Feb 13
Quest7777:

Ivory Coast look better because there was no pressure at all from Nigeria. They were defending instead of attacking. And it’s said that the best form of defense is attack.

15 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rollover Bets To Millions / Ralf Rangnick Appointed As The New Manager Of The Austrian National Football. / Zidane Has Rejected Real Madrid Job Already - Ramon Calderon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.