Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad (5600 Views)

Is Relocation Abroad The New Success? / Any One Staying In Porto-novo? Please Help A Brother With Some Guidelines. / Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 1:13am On May 23, 2020
The average Nigerian assumes all their friends and family members abroad are living the good life and sipping on champagne. That is not the true reality for most Nigerians that choose to relocate abroad. Jobs one will never have contemplated such as security, cleaner,cashier,warehouse worker becomes an attractive prospect to most immigrants living abroad to put food on their table and have shelter over their heads.

The truth is if you want to achieve your full potential and acquire wealth, then staying back in Nigeria is the best option. In terms of fixed and liquid assets you will find majority of your peers in Nigeria have surpassed you. Life abroad for even those with white collar jobs involves: lay-offs and a mortgage you will spend 10-30 years paying off.

What relocation abroad offers you and your children is security which no money can buy in Nigeria. You can travel across any western country after midnight without fear of running into kidnappers,ritualists,armed robbers and facing extortion from law enforcement.Also, the stress of not worrying about your children when they venture to any part of the city at odd hours of the night is something that cannot be bought with money.

What well to do Nigerians realize is that their money can't buy security or health. Nigeria has descended to full anarchy, that unless you move with bulletproof car and have a battalion of armed soldiers and mopols your safety is not guaranteed. Every Nigerian has been affected by the insecurity plaguing the country. One of the memories I remember as a child was when my family got attacked by armed robbers along Benin-Ore expressway and later in my University days when my Dad got kidnapped for a week.

The reason most Nigerians choose to relocate abroad is to sleep with two eyes closed and to live in environment where the security of their family is guaranteed.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 6:53am On May 23, 2020
Nigeria is a failed state, where you can make a fortune at the expense of your personal security.

3 Likes

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by OgbeniOptional(m): 6:56am On May 23, 2020
Do anything and everything to get out of this country. No be them chad, Lesotho ooo. I mean to better country.

8 Likes

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by ednut1(m): 7:00am On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Nigeria is a failed state where you can make a fortune at the expense of your personal security.
no where is secure last last in the world. So many maniacs killing people in usa and Canada with guns. I only need canada for the pali

5 Likes

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 7:12am On May 23, 2020
OgbeniOptional:
Do anything and everything to get out of this country. No be them chad, Lesotho ooo. I mean to better country.

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by olalekan9320(m): 7:12am On May 23, 2020
ednut1:
no where is secure last last in the world. So many maniacs killing people in usa and Canada with guns. I only need canada for the pali
is this for USA or Canada
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by DeeFlask(m): 7:19am On May 23, 2020
olalekan9320:
is this for USA or Canada
I don't even like USA self

1 Like

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by olalekan9320(m): 7:43am On May 23, 2020
DeeFlask:

I don't even like USA self
me too o. I feel it's not safe. That's the reason I asked if the stat he gave is for U.S or Canada. If it's U.S, it's not a new thing
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:37am On May 23, 2020
How easy is it to actually be rich in Nigeria? Your business can only be as successful as the quality of your Market. Nigerians today are much poorer than ever and are getting poorer. It's being estimated that by 2050, 40 percent of the world's poorest will be Nigerians. What kind of business do you want to run in the midst of stark poverty to acquire the billions people talk about.

Most people who say these things have never in their lives ran a business in Nigeria. For people born in the 90s, leave Nigeria if you can. We aren't responsible for fixing this country at all. We were all born into this mess. We are so much more poorer than our parents and predecessors it's insane. Compare us to our mates in the west and in Asia and we are so far behind. It's not uncommon for people to be unemployed for 5 6 7 years living with their parents until their 30s and early 30s.

The country is doomed and will only get worse. As for the get rich in Nigeria crew, time is coming when you would bring a container load of goods and you won't be able to sell a single farthing. The poverty here is increasing and spreading amongst the populace.

Ps people who are earning millions monthly working in posh corporate jobs are leaving the zoohole and it's someone who doesn't make 100k a month that believes he will be Dangote in Nigeria grin. Nigerians abroad in 2016 sent in more money than Nigeria as a country made in revenue.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 9:55am On May 23, 2020
Na USA Pali Mii need
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 9:59am On May 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
How easy is it to actually be rich in Nigeria? Your business can only be as successful as the quality of your Market. Nigerians today are much poorer than ever and are getting poorer. It's being estimated that by 2050, 40 percent of the world's poorest will be Nigerians. What kind of business do you want to run in the midst of stark poverty to acquire the billions people talk about.

Most people who say these things have never in their lives ran a business in Nigeria. For people born in the 90s, leave Nigeria if you can. We aren't responsible for fixing this country at all. We were all born into this mess. We are so much more poorer than our parents and predecessors it's insane. Compare us to our mates in the west and in Asia and we are so far behind. It's not uncommon for people to be unemployed for 5 6 7 years living with their parents until their 30s and early 30s.

The country is doomed and will only get worse. As for the get rich in Nigeria crew, time is coming when you would bring a container load of goods and you won't be able to sell a single farthing. The poverty here is increasing and spreading amongst the populace.

Ps people who are earning millions monthly working in posh corporate jobs are leaving the zoohole and it's someone who doesn't make 100k a month that believes he will be Dangote in Nigeria grin. Nigerians abroad in 2016 sent in more money than Nigeria as a country made in revenue.
You're correct niggar ✌️leave that op alone

5 Likes

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by ednut1(m): 10:36am On May 23, 2020
olalekan9320:
me too o. I feel it's not safe. That's the reason I asked if the stat he gave is for U.S or Canada. If it's U.S, it's not a new thing
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-toronto-sees-record-number-of-shootings-in-2019-but-fewer-deaths/ they are shooting and stabing in canada too. But not as much as usa
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by olalekan9320(m): 11:50am On May 23, 2020
ednut1:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-toronto-sees-record-number-of-shootings-in-2019-but-fewer-deaths/ they are shooting and stabing in canada too. But not as much as usa
US is extreme, anywhere is not 100% safe but some places are far better. Nigerian police has killed more than corona in this lockdown.

every Nigerian youth should have a second passport

3 Likes

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

As a Nigerian and a black man/black woman regardless of how smart and hard you work, there is a glass ceiling they will not let you go above in the corporate world in western countries. Regardless of how hard by Dad worked, they never promoted him, he had to go back to Nigeria and choose to leave our family abroad. He ended up achieving his full potential in Nigeria and made over a N100 million annually working in the corporate world and was able to acquire multiple properties.
If he choose to stay abroad he will have remained stagnant. The choice is between choosing to build wealth in Nigeria or security for your family abroad.

3 Likes

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:43pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

As a Nigerian and a black man/black woman regardless of how smart and hard you work, there is a glass ceiling they will not let you go above in the corporate world in the western world. Regardless of how hard by Dad worked, they never promoted him, he had to go back to Nigeria and live our family abroad. He ended up achieving his full potential in Nigeria and made over a N100 million annually working in the corporate world and owned multiple properties.
If he choose to stay abroad he will have remained stagnant
Good luck to your dad but I don't believe the ceiling theory. The western world thrives on merit. We have Nigerians who are top doctors, entrepreneurs, programmers and are living in the west. There was no ceiling to their accomplishments.

I don't know how old you are but we 90s kids have it much worse than any other previous Nigerian generation and it's getting worse daily.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Minsk24: 12:44pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

As a Nigerian and a black man/black woman regardless of how smart and hard you work, there is a glass ceiling they will not let you go above in the corporate world in the western countries. Regardless of how hard by Dad worked, they never promoted him, he had to go back to Nigeria and live our family abroad. He ended up achieving his full potential in Nigeria and made over a N100 million annually working in the corporate world and owned multiple properties.
If he choose to stay abroad he will have remained stagnant. The choice is between choosing to build wealth in Niuugeria or security for your family abroad.

Thanks for sharing... One thing is obvious... Different strokes for different folks.. To each his own destiny...
Please the OP has made a good point.. Lets all reason in a matured way without bashing anyone
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Good luck to your dad but I don't believe the ceiling theory. The western world thrives on merit. We have Nigerians who are top doctors, entrepreneurs, programmers and are living in the west. There was no ceiling to their accomplishments.

I don't know how old you are but we 90s kids have it much worse than any other previous Nigerian generation and it's getting worse daily.
How many Nigerians immigrants became Directors,General Manager,Vice Presidents or CEO's? Will you ever see a Nigerian in any of this positions in Netherlands,Finland,Sweden,Germany,UAE,Japan? They publish data of the percentages of minorities in Management positions and it is nothing to write home about.
The country that I found minorities (blacks,Indians,Asian etc) have a chance of achieving their full potential is USA. The management of Fortune 500 companies accurately represents the countries demographics, for example blacks occupy 13% of management positions,which reflects the population demographics. Other western countries around the world minorities occupy only 1-5 percent of management positions, despite accounting for a much larger segment of the countries demographics.

1 Like

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:55pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

How many Nigerians immigrants became Directors,General Manager,Vice Presidents or CEO's? Will you ever see a Nigerian in any of this positions in Netherlands,Finland,Sweden,Germany,UAE,Japan? They publish data of the percentages of minorities in Management positions and it is nothing to write home about.
The country that I found minorities (blacks,Indians,Asian etc) have a chance of achieving their full potential is USA. The management of Fortune 500 companies accurately represents the countries demographics, for example blacks occupy 13% of management positions,which reflects the population demographics. Other western countries around the world minorities occupy only 1-5 percent of management positions.
How many Nigerians who are very educated go to those listed countries. How many Nigerians are in Japan? Japan has only one million foreigners. How many of them are Nigerians ? Nigerians are much more in the UK and USA where they have made a name for themselves.

Back to Nigerians in Nigeria. How many doctors earn above 150000 naira a month? How many lawyers make above 70000 naira a month here? No matter how bad things are abroad it can never be as horrible as Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

How many Nigerians who are very educated go to those listed countries. How many Nigerians are in Japan? Japan has only one million foreigners. How many of them are Nigerians ? Nigerians are much more in the UK and USA where they have made a name for themselves.

Back to Nigerians in Nigeria. How many doctors earn above 150000 naira a month? How many lawyers make above 70000 naira a month here? No matter how bad things are abroad it can never be as horrible as Nigeria.
I am referring to blacks from all nationalities and even the blacks born and raised there. How many them were able to get into management in the corporate world?You will eventually come to that realization in the western world, the colour of your skin will limit your advancement. Only America offer's the chance to achieve your full potential based on merit and can overlook your skin tone.
Check the statistic's of any western country besides USA,the composition of management in the corporate sector. It will make you weep as a minority and as a woman.Are minorities and women less competent to occupy management positions?

1 Like

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:16pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

I am referring to blacks from all nationalities and even the blacks born and raised there. How many them were able to get into management in the corporate world?You will eventually come to that realization in the western world, the colour of your skin will limit your advancement. Only America offer's the chance to achieve your full potential based on merit and can overlook your skin tone.
Check the statistic's of any western country besides USA,the composition of management in the corporate sector. It will make you weep as a minority and as a woman.Are minorities and women less competent to occupy management positions?
Okay and are Africans achieving their full potentials in Africa? Japanese and Europeans honestly have the right to discriminate against Africans if they want to. They toiled and built their countries. Most African countries are shitholes. Cesspools of shit. No matter how bad it is in the west, it can not be as bad as being in Africa. Our politicians rush outside to get second citizenships and birth their kids there and turn around and tell people here to have hope in the continent. No one falls for that scrap anymore.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Okay and are Africans achieving their full potentials in Africa? Japanese and Europeans honestly have the right to discriminate against Africans if they want to. They toiled and built their countries. Most African countries are shitholes. Cesspools of shit. No matter how bad it is in the west, it can not be as bad as being in Africa. Our politicians rush outside to get second citizenships and birth their kids there and turn around and tell people here to have hope in the continent. No one falls for that scrap anymore.
No one is disputing what you stated. If you have the connections in Nigeria in the corporate there is a fortune to be made. Why do you think expatriates rush to Nigeria?They make more money in Nigeria than they would back home.
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 23, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

No one is disputing what you stated about Nigeria. It is the worse country I ever lived in and in all my travels by far the most dangerous and disorganized.
However, if you have the connections in Nigeria, you can make a fortune in the corporate world and achieve your full potential based on merit. Why do you think expatriates rush to Nigeria?They make more money in Nigeria than they would back home.
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Babyvet: 2:48pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

No one is disputing what you stated about Nigeria. It is the worse country I ever lived in and in all my travels by far the most dangerous and disorganized.
However, if you have the connections in Nigeria, you can make a fortune in the corporate world and achieve your full potential base on merit. Why do you think expatriates rush to Nigeria?They make more money in Nigeria than they would back home.

Thank you very much , there are so many expats moving to Nigeria . Not only are they moving for the money but also the lifestyle which caters to them .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Kidron2020: 2:51pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
The average Nigerian assumes all their friends and family members abroad are living the good life and sipping on champagne. That is not the true reality for most Nigerians that choose to relocate abroad. Jobs one will never have contemplated such as security, cleaner,cashier,warehouse worker becomes an attractive prospect to most immigrants living abroad to put food on their table and have shelter over their heads.

The truth is if you want to achieve your full potential and acquire wealth, then staying back in Nigeria is the best option. In terms of fixed and liquid assets you will find majority of your peers in Nigeria have surpassed you. Life abroad for even those with white collar jobs involves: lay-offs and a mortgage you will spend 10-30 years paying off

What relocation abroad offers you and your children is security which no money can buy in Nigeria. You can travel across any western country after midnight without fear of running into kidnappers,ritualists,armed robbers and facing extortion from law enforcement.Also, the stress of not worrying about your children when they venture to any part of the city at odd hours of the night is something that cannot be bought with money.

What well to do Nigerians realize is that their money can't buy security or health. [b]Nigeria has descended to full anarchy, that unless you move with bulletproof car and have a battalion of armed soldiers and mopols your safety is not guaranteed.
Every Nigerian has been affected by the insecurity plaguing the country. One of the memories I remember as a child was when my family got attacked by armed robbers along Benin-Ore expressway and later in my University days when my Dad got kidnapped for a week.[/b]

The reason most Nigerians choose to relocate abroad is to sleep with two eyes closed and to live in environment where the security of their family is guaranteed.

Bro, where do Emoney, Cubans boss, Davido, Tiwa, Kcee, Psq. Rmd + all Nigerian top entertainers live?
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 23, 2020
Babyvet:

Thank you very much , there are so many expats moving to Nigeria . Not only are they moving for the money but also the lifestyle which caters to them .
They can work in Nigeria for 5-10 years and retire early. There going rate can range from $20k-$50k a month. And the tax rate in Nigeria is low and living expenses. They can save and invest most of their disposable income.
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 2:55pm On May 23, 2020
Kidron2020:

Bro, where do Emoney, Cubans boss, Davido, Tiwa, Kcee, Psq. Rmd + all Nigerian top entertainers live?
They live in Lekki and Ikoyi. Abuja is the only city in Nigeria that has somewhat organized and has order. And that is because it is the seat of power and billions of dollars have been pumped into it, since it was declared the nation's capital.

I don't think any returnee will have any issues with Abuja. It is just too expensive because of dirty money flowing in the city with the fantastical corruption and embezzlement that inflated the real estate market and general cost of living.
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Babyvet: 3:47pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

They can work in Nigeria for 5-10 years and retire early. There going rate can range from $20k-$50k a month. And the tax rate in Nigeria is low and living expenses. They can save and invest most of their disposable income.

Wow , how many Nigerians going to the US make that kind of money per month ?
Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 3:53pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Quick one: How come this narrative of yours doesn't affect Indians, Chinese and Pakistanis in the west? Across top universities in the US, most Asians dominate the academic positions if one looks at the number of minorities but very few blacks. In Europe, there's a Pakistani mayor in London, an Indian Chancellor of the Exchequer, an Indian prime minister in Ireland, a Moroccan mayor in Rotterdam etc. I wager that there would be either an Indian or Pakistani prime minister in the UK as the first non-White PM. Which brings me to the quality of migrants blacks constitute and the paths they choose to follow when integrating into western countries. When the quality of migrants is low and the path they choose to follow when integrating is weak (go to lowly ranked schools = not being able to climb to top positions, not understanding the corporate culture in the country and adapting, asking for waivers without putting in the work, wants to be placated instead of working hard etc). These factors will most likely affect the rise of blacks in the society.

During the early 1900s, there were more blacks than Asians in Stuyvesant High School. Currently, there are more Asians than blacks in the same school and this is a school that sends most of her graduands to Ivy League universities which translates to them becoming top professionals in their fields in the future. However, instead of blacks to do what the Asians did (overtook whites as largest group of enrolled students in the '90s in Stuyvesant), they ask for dampening of the standards to enter the same school whereas Asians never asked for same. Unsurprisingly, these Asians dominate academic, corporate, governmental, public policy etc. positions. What about African students aspiring to study in the US? The vast majority don't bother to apply to top schools whereas Indians and Chinese do same. In the future, who do you expect as minorities to dominate top positions in the society? If there's a concerted effort by blacks to aim for the very highest standards in developed countries, there would be a change. I recall when I was applying to schools in the UK, a distant uncle advised I target the lowly ranked unknown universities, I objected. Explaining that as a black man from Nigeria, it's best to target the top universities as they offer more opportunities, valuable network and access to the top echelon of the society. He said no, that it's the best targeting these lowly ranked universities so that one would start from scratch. But hey, will I expect to be a renowned person or get access to an invaluable network if I don't target the top schools? Check out the Nobel prize laureates in science (there has been no black laureate in the science category), almost all went to or work(ed) in top institutions. There are more Indian and Pakistani winners than blacks. One reason is because these people go to top institutions more than black people. The Nobel Foundation has over years rewarded previous research so in the future, it will reward current researches going on and there would be largely in top universities where you have more Indians, Pakistanis, Japanese, Chinese than blacks (citizens or migrants).

Regarding other developed non-western countries, like I stated earlier, you need to look at the quality of migrants and the number. If there are more blacks in Japan or Malaysia who attend top institutions and understand the corporate culture, then you will get more of them in top positions. There's currently a Malian President (Japan's nomenclature for Vice-chancellor) in a Japanese university just as there has been an Indian mayor in a suburb in Tokyo. Hopefully, with the nature of the express entry by Canada, the quality of migrants who leave Nigeria to Canada will be totally different from same Nigerians who go to Malaysia or the UAE. In the future, there would be a stark difference in the outcome.

At the end of the day, it behoves on black people to embrace capitalism and make the dominant black environment (Africa) to be rich. I'm amused when I read tweets and posts from black people who lampoon capitalism. That's the only way to get rich and earn respect not necessarily love from others. Truth is: black people will keep getting discriminated because they are poor and infact the poorest globally of all races. Last I checked, no one disrespects a rich person, no one does.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 4:01pm On May 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Regarding gender, there are various reasons for that. It wasn't too long ago women were allowed to enter the workforce. Also, the motherhood tax, choosing more non-lucrative courses, working less hours compared to men, not going to top business schools as most men in management positions do and most of all, the evolutionary nature of men to be the provider which makes them to aim for the acme so that they can provide for their families constitute to having less women in management positions. Although in other non-western developed countries, one can blame the perceived gender bias coupled with the factors I listed.

1 Like

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 23, 2020
Gerrard59:

Regarding gender, there are various reasons for that. It wasn't too long ago women were allowed to enter the workforce. Also, the motherhood tax, choosing more non-lucrative courses, working less hours compared to men, not going to top business schools as most men in management positions do and most of all, the evolutionary nature of men to be the provider which makes them to aim for the acme so that they can provide for their families constitute to having less women in management positions. Although in other non-western developed countries, one can blame the perceived gender bias coupled with the factors I listed.
There is no basis why women should not occupy at least 40% of management positions. You are just repeating the talking points of a patriarchal society used to justify the discrimination against women when it comes to appointment into management positions.

1 Like

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 23, 2020
Gerrard59:

Quick one: How come this narrative of yours doesn't affect Indians, Chinese and Pakistanis in the west? Across top universities in the US, most Asians dominate the academic positions if one looks at the number of minorities but very few blacks. In Europe, there's a Pakistani mayor in London, an Indian Chancellor of the Exchequer, an Indian prime minister in Ireland, a Moroccan mayor in Rotterdam etc. I wager that there would be either an Indian or Pakistani prime minister in the UK as the first non-White PM. Which brings me to the quality of migrants blacks constitute and the paths they choose to follow when integrating into western countries. When the quality of migrants is low and the path they choose to follow when integrating is weak (go to lowly ranked schools = not being able to climb to top positions, not understanding the corporate culture in the country and adapting, asking for waivers without putting in the work, wants to be placated instead of working hard etc). These factors will most likely affect the rise of blacks in the society.

During the early 1900s, there were more blacks than Asians in Stuyvesant High School. Currently, there are more Asians than blacks in the same school and this is a school that sends most of her graduands to Ivy League universities which translates to them becoming top professionals in their fields in the future. However, instead of blacks to do what the Asians did (overtook whites as largest group of enrolled students in the '90s in Stuyvesant), they ask for dampening of the standards to enter the same school whereas Asians never asked for same. Unsurprisingly, these Asians dominate academic, corporate, governmental, public policy etc. positions. What about African students aspiring to study in the US? The vast majority don't bother to apply to top schools whereas Indians and Chinese do same. In the future, who do you expect as minorities to dominate top positions in the society? If there's a concerted effort by blacks to aim for the very highest standards in developed countries, there would be a change. I recall when I was applying to schools in the UK, a distant uncle advised I target the lowly ranked unknown universities, I objected. Explaining that as a black man from Nigeria, it's best to target the top universities as they offer more opportunities, valuable network and access to the top echelon of the society. He said no, that it's the best targeting these lowly ranked universities so that one would start from scratch. But hey, will I expect to be a renowned person or get access to an invaluable network if I don't target the top schools? Check out the Nobel prize laureates in science (there has been no black laureate in the science category), almost all went to or work(ed) in top institutions. There are more Indian and Pakistani winners than blacks. One reason is because these people go to top institutions more than black people. The Nobel Foundation has over years rewarded previous research so in the future, it will reward current researches going on and there would be largely in top universities where you have more Indians, Pakistanis, Japanese, Chinese than blacks (citizens or migrants).

Regarding other developed non-western countries, like I stated earlier, you need to look at the quality of migrants and the number. If there are more blacks in Japan or Malaysia who attend top institutions and understand the corporate culture, then you will get more of them in top positions. There's currently a Malian President (Japan's nomenclature for Vice-chancellor) in a Japanese university just as there has been an Indian mayor in a suburb in Tokyo. Hopefully, with the nature of the express entry by Canada, the quality of migrants who leave Nigeria to Canada will be totally different from same Nigerians who go to Malaysia or the UAE. In the future, there would be a stark difference in the outcome.

At the end of the day, it behoves on black people to embrace capitalism and make the dominant black environment (Africa) to be rich. I'm amused when I read tweets and posts from black people who lampoon capitalism. That's the only way to get rich and earn respect not necessarily love from others. Truth is: black people will keep getting discriminated because they are poor and infact the poorest globally of all races. Last I checked, no one disrespects a rich person, no one does.
Research and statistics shows besides America, the composition of management positions does not reflect the population demographics. Your defence of why blacks don't occupy management positions in western countries is falsehood. The majority of Nigerians I know went to the best schools and come from wealthy backgrounds.
Lots of research and statistics still point to the fact that race and gender will play a factor in how far you go in the western world. Major corporations,educational institutions and political parties have noticed the imbalance and are trying to appoint more minorities into leadership positions.
I am sure you put up the same defence when oil companies in Nigeria never appointed a Nigerian MD/CEO to manage the affairs since independence, untiil the early 2000's.

2 Likes

Re: Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad by Tobexin(m): 4:36pm On May 23, 2020
Lovely discussion out here

cc justwise do the needful

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jacky Hathiramani Bags Platinum Excellence Leadership Award / ₦468B: World's Tallest Indoor Waterfall, Forest Unveils In Singapore Airport(Pic / Advice On DIY In Passport Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.