Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

My Niece Behave Badly - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Niece Behave Badly (2717 Views)

Is This Enough Reason To Send My Niece Back To The Village? / I Am Cancelling All Marriage Plans Because Of What My Girlfriend Did To My Niece / I Caught My Husband Sucking My Niece’s Breast, Sleeping With Our Maid -wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 4:28pm On May 23, 2020
I am caring for my niece these days. She is 8 years old and cries loudly if she wants something or doesn’t get what she requests. My sister spoil her too much. I’m looking for best way in discipline her. I spank her most times with my hand and she can cry more than one hour but for now still screams a lot and cry like a baby. Please help me to know how to handle her.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Nettybrown(m): 4:29pm On May 23, 2020

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Righteousness89(m): 4:35pm On May 23, 2020
Handle her as you will Handle your own Baby

Whatever you will do to Discipline your own child.. do it to her

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:36pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:
I am caring for my niece these days. She is 8 years old and cries loudly if she wants something or doesn’t get what she requests. My sister spoil her too much. I’m looking for best way in discipline her. I spank her most times with my hand and she can cry more than one hour but for now still screams a lot and cry like a baby. Please help me to know how to handle her.

spanking is not gonna help, just ignore her every time she cries loudly, and go about your business, as hard as it may be at the beginning, after a while she will understand that her cries dont get to you... and most importantly, that YOU are in charge and she cant get her way like that.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mariangeles(f): 4:42pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:

It depends on how long she's staying with you.
If it is a short term stay, there's nothing much you can do but to endure it or return her back to her mother.
You can't really discipline someone else's child, even if the child is your sister's.

4 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mariangeles(f): 4:44pm On May 23, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

spanking is not gonna help, just ignore her every time she cries loudly, and go about your business, as hard as it may be at the beginning, after a while she will understand that her cries dont get to you... and most importantly, that YOU are in charge and she cant get her way like that.

She might go insane cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:48pm On May 23, 2020
Mariangeles:

She might go insane cheesy

believe me, she will get her senses back way before going insane... and furthermore, thats the only way forward, as you will be creating a DEMON if you allow this child to only/always have her way.

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 4:48pm On May 23, 2020
I can discipline her how I see fit it’s no problem plus my sister ask for help. The crying is never stopping unless she get what she want. Very stubborn child, with her grandmother she will not display same behaviours.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:50pm On May 23, 2020
Mariangeles:
It depends on how long she's staying with you.
If it is a short term stay, there's nothing much you can do but to endure it or return her back to her mother.
You can't really discipline someone else's child, even if the child is your sister's.

so that child can have her way and be in charge in that place?!
some want to eat ice cream for breakfast lunch and dinner, should the aunt/uncle allow it because she cries?!

5 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by ProtectMyMoney: 4:50pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:

Give her a naughty corner.
Draw a small square in a corner of your seating room (away from TV view) where you name naughty corner.

When she misbehaves, send her to the naughty corner. If she leaves take her back to the corner and let her know anytime she misbehaves, she will always go to the naughty corner.

She will start behaving properly

Try the above and give us your feed back.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 4:50pm On May 23, 2020
Righteousness89:
Handle her as you will Handle your own Baby

Whatever you will do to Discipline your own child.. do it to her

I will beat them if they try it.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:52pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:
I can discipline her how I see fit it’s no problem plus my sister ask for help. The crying is never stopping unless she get what she want. Very stubborn child, with her grandmother she will not display same behaviours.

children are very smart... parents have already fallen to her tricks but sadly, grandma never did, so now its uncle/aunt turn to decide which personality they want to discover from that child.

3 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 4:52pm On May 23, 2020
ProtectMyMoney:

Draw a small square in a corner of your seating room (away from TV view) where you name naughty corner.

When she misbehaves, send her to the naughty corner. If she leaves take her back to the corner and let her know anytime she misbehaves, she will always go to the naughty corner.

Thanks I have to say this is one stubborn girl. I think she can cry for the whole day!!! She is smart and no problems other than being spoilt.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Righteousness89(m): 4:53pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:

I will beat them if they try it.

Do exactly that!
But don't make beating a habit! They get used to it.

There are also punishments you could give

2 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by ProtectMyMoney: 4:55pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:

Thanks I have to say this is one stubborn girl. I think she can cry for the whole day!!! She is smart and no problems other than being spoilt.

Try the naughty corner idea ...let's see if it works

2 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 4:55pm On May 23, 2020
Righteousness89:

Do exactly that!
But don't make beating a habit! They get used to it.

There are also punishments you could give

The threat is enough most times, I don’t have to beat them for many years now.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 4:58pm On May 23, 2020
I forgot to say her mother is sick so she can’t handle this behaviour well by herself.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mariangeles(f): 5:00pm On May 23, 2020
ProtectMyMoney:

grin grin grin
Thinking about it, I'm even scared of the naughty corner grin

2 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by LordKO(m): 5:13pm On May 23, 2020
Her disposition shows that she's innately greedy - and she'll grow up a greedy woman. Unfortunately, attribute isn't eradicable, but malleable and manageable.

The best way to manage her and help her to grow up without the attribute destroying her is by placing an unrealizable duty on her desire at any given time, regardless of her age. Then after her moments of trial and failure on the duty, you give her just a consolation part of her desire. If you can maintain this strategy her possessive and entitlement attitudes will reduce and, by extension, her tantrums. And with time, she'll master the act of managing her weakness by herself.

5 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 5:20pm On May 23, 2020
LordKO:
Her disposition shows that she's innately greedy - and she'll grow up a greedy woman. Unfortunately, attribute isn't eradicable, but malleable and manageable.

The best way to manage her and help her to grow up without the attribute destroying her is by placing an unrealizable duty on her desire at any given time, regardless of her age. Then after her moments of trial and failure on the duty, you give her just a consolation part of her desire. If you can maintain this strategy her possessive and entitlement will reduce and, by extension, her tantrums. And with time, she'll master the act of managing her weakness by herself.

I do not completely understand

4 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Hathor5(f): 5:26pm On May 23, 2020
ProtectMyMoney:

It works with children and I hope it will work with the niece. She may not accept it because she is not used to rules around her parents.
I would also explain the naughty corner before she misbehaves so she accepts it from a place of peace. And I would also tell her that I will warn her two times and by the third time send her there. This way she has time to adjust, something she must have time and opportunity to learn, self-regulation.

Cc:Mamasessy

6 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 5:31pm On May 23, 2020
Hathor5:

It works with children and I hope it will work with the niece. She may not accept it because she is not used to rules around her parents.
I would also explain the naughty corner before she misbehaves so she accepts it from a place of peace. And I would also tell her that I will warn her two times and by the third time send her there. This way she has time to adjust, something she must have time and opportunity to learn, self-regulation.

Cc:Mamasessy

She knows about naughty chair because I use it at times but she still cries so much for an hour I get angry as my neighbours are elderly I don’t want to disturb them
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Hathor5(f): 5:35pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:

She knows about naughty chair because I use it at times but she still cries so much for an hour I get angry as my neighbours are elderly I don’t want to disturb them

Maybe they don't hear that well if they are older. When next time she calms down and stops crying, tell her that you are going to take away her favorite toy for two days if the next time she cries so loud again. Also tell her that she disturbs other people and that they will be angry with her.

4 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 5:40pm On May 23, 2020
Hathor5:

Maybe they don't hear that well if they are older. When next time she calms down and stops crying, tell her that you are going to take away her favorite toy for two days if the next time she cries so loud again. Also tell her that she disturbs other people and that they will be angry with her.

I hope they don’t hear, I tell her of disturbing others but she is too spoilt. It will take a lot of effort raising this child as she is boss with her mother
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 6:27pm On May 23, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

so that child can have her way and be in charge in that place?!
some want to eat ice cream for breakfast lunch and dinner, should the aunt/uncle allow it because she cries?!

Yes she would like to eat ice cream for breakfast lunch and dinner. If I show her cain she may improve
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:41pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:
Yes she would like to eat ice cream for breakfast lunch and dinner. If I show her cain she may improve

cane may work but IMHO it is the wrong way to instill proper values in children, especially obedience. that child should listen to you, not because she "fears" you but simply because she understands that she should listen/respect the words of adults.

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Hathor5(f): 6:50pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:

I hope they don’t hear, I tell her of disturbing others but she is too spoilt. It will take a lot of effort raising this child as she is boss with her mother

If her mother wants to raise her like that then leave her with her mother. Nothing good will come out of you doing two different things. I promise you she will hate you when she grows up.

2 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 7:26pm On May 23, 2020
Hathor5:

If her mother wants to raise her like that then leave her with her mother. Nothing good will come out of you doing two different things. I promise you she will hate you when she grows up.

Her mother is sick and can’t cope she ask of me to help her plus maybe my niece will thank me in the future
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Hathor5(f): 8:36pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:

Her mother is sick and can’t cope she ask of me to help her plus maybe my niece will thank me in the future

Maybe your niece's behavior is the result of the separation then and not her being too spoilt.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by yvelchstores(f): 8:57pm On May 23, 2020
there is no other way than to ignore her,no matter how hard it is for you.let her cry her eyes out,no problems.plus take away existing privilege,not what she is crying for o, like TV, snacks,outing, etc.let her experience the consequences of ill behaviour. this is how I discipline my child since she started saying "it didn't pain meeee" when I spank her.

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Bluehill1051: 9:37pm On May 23, 2020
Here's the fact, when you beat her, add punishment like kneel down and hold your lips. You've got to make her understand that the louder she gets, the more severe her punishment. Haven't you ever seen a child holding her lips n still crying in her closed mouth like she's going to explode?
My own nephew is different. Go n kneel down, he'll do it but the next 15mins, he'll forget and be playing. I go just laugh. He doesn't scream like an afonja bitch.

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 9:39pm On May 23, 2020
Bluehill1051:
Here's the fact, when you beat her, add punishment like kneel down and hold your lips. You've got to make her understand that the louder she gets, the more severe her punishment. Haven't you ever seen a child holding her lips n still crying in her closed mouth like she's going to explode?
My own nephew is different. Go n kneel down, he'll do it but the next 15mins, he'll forget and be playing. I go just laugh. He doesn't scream like an afonja bitch.

I’ll be doing this one with the lips

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ladies, Share Your Selection Of Good Songs To Spice Up The Bedroom / . / A Program Designed To Bless The Singles And The Married... Be There!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.