Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,470 members, 7,861,356 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:39 AM

My Niece Behave Badly - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Niece Behave Badly (2737 Views)

Is This Enough Reason To Send My Niece Back To The Village? / I Am Cancelling All Marriage Plans Because Of What My Girlfriend Did To My Niece / I Caught My Husband Sucking My Niece’s Breast, Sleeping With Our Maid -wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 9:40pm On May 23, 2020
Hathor5:

Maybe your niece's behavior is the result of the separation then and not her being too spoilt.
The separation is recently and she behaved like this all her life
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:15pm On May 23, 2020
Mamasessy:
I am caring for my niece these days. She is 8 years old and cries loudly if she wants something or doesn’t get what she requests. My sister spoil her too much. I’m looking for best way in discipline her. I spank her most times with my hand and she can cry more than one hour but for now still screams a lot and cry like a baby. Please help me to know how to handle her.

Human behaviour 101: What gets rewarded gets done.

She behave that way because it has always worked in the past.

If you don't reward her tantrums long enough she'll stop.

3 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Eketem: 10:27pm On May 23, 2020
When she starts crying send her to a vacant room, she should cry there and only come out when she does .

Naughty corner is very effective when she is being hyper
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 11:18pm On May 23, 2020
Eketem:
When she starts crying send her to a vacant room, she should cry there and only come out when she does .

Naughty corner is very effective when she is being hyper
She tried to fight and refuse staying in naughty corner or room
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Hathor5(f): 11:28pm On May 23, 2020
People tell you what to do and you keep adding details to make the child look evil. The story is cooked up and I had the feeling pretty early.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by GboyegaD(m): 2:30am On May 24, 2020
Mamasessy:
I can discipline her how I see fit it’s no problem plus my sister ask for help. The crying is never stopping unless she get what she want. Very stubborn child, with her grandmother she will not display same behaviours.

Aunty, be careful ooo. Why can't your sister discipline her child? Yoruba says "Bami na omo mi, ko de 'nu olomo." Let your sister care for her child ooo. Gone her the days of"it takes a community to raise a child."

One suggestion though, be assertive. Let your no be no even if she chooses to cry. They say "na who look bride eyes see say she dey cry ooo"

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by frozen70(f): 2:40am On May 24, 2020
Mamasessy:
I am caring for my niece these days. She is 8 years old and cries loudly if she wants something or doesn’t get what she requests. My sister spoil her too much. I’m looking for best way in discipline her. I spank her most times with my hand and she can cry more than one hour but for now still screams a lot and cry like a baby. Please help me to know how to handle her.

Her parents should be the one to handle her pls

Some parents doesn't want high hardened hand on their children and if you insist it becomes quarell between you and them

Unless they send you pls just leave her before she develops temperature from your beating and then the parents will give you an open warning, which you will not like

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by ProtectMyMoney: 8:14am On May 24, 2020
Mamasessy:

She tried to fight and refuse staying in naughty corner or room

Being the first time,

That was why i mentioned if she tries to leave the naughty corner take her back there...and let her understand she will only leave the naughty corner when she behaves well.

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Acidosis(m): 9:36am On May 24, 2020
It is easier to train a child than to correct an adult. Your niece is both your child and your sister. With her mother's approval, do all you can to correct her. She won't die.

2 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 10:02am On May 24, 2020
ProtectMyMoney:

Being the first time,

That was why i mentioned if she tries to leave the naughty corner take her back there...and let her understand she will only leave the naughty corner when she behaves well.

Thankyou
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 10:04am On May 24, 2020
frozen70:

Her parents should be the one to handle her pls

Some parents doesn't want high hardened hand on their children and if you insist it becomes quarell between you and them

Unless they send you pls just leave her before she develops temperature from your beating and then the parents will give you an open warning, which you will not like

Yes I think your right
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 10:08am On May 24, 2020
Hathor5:
People tell you what to do and you keep adding details to make the child look evil. The story is cooked up and I had the feeling pretty early.

She is not evil but this is the reality. I didn’t add too much in the beginning as it can get pretty long but she resists naughty corner a lot as that what I have been trying before but the crying is intense so I was looking advice from others to help me.

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Hathor5(f): 10:36am On May 24, 2020
Mamasessy:

She is not evil but this is the reality. I didn’t add too much in the beginning as it can get pretty long but she resists naughty corner a lot as that what I have been trying before but the crying is intense so I was looking advice from others to help me.

If true then you will need a lot of patience. It is not easy for a child to be separated from her mother. She needs rules and lots of love. Be patient but also consistent. I wish you lots of strength. She will soon understand that crying doesn't get her anywhere.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Kiki4: 11:00am On May 24, 2020
ProtectMyMoney:

Give her a naughty corner.
Draw a small square in a corner of your seating room (away from TV view) where you name naughty corner.

When she misbehaves, send her to the naughty corner. If she leaves take her back to the corner and let her know anytime she misbehaves, she will always go to the naughty corner.

She will start behaving properly

Try the above and give us your feed back.

The above method should work. I have only 2kids, please use the cane if you have to, I use mine well. Another thing I do is I reward good behaviour. It could be a drink, biscuits. After punishing her, leave her to cry belleful then you sit her down and have a discussion. The change will be gradual. I promise you.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Greatzeus(m): 11:04am On May 24, 2020
Mamasessy:
What of her mother? If you live with her parents,but you look after her when they're not around,you have no right to beat her. Physically beating a child is assault and child abuse. Let her mother be the one to punish her if need be.
If she lives with you,not her parents,for any reason, you have to decide to return her to her parents or other family members if you can't do without beating her.
She is a child,you are destroying her sub conscious mind by maltreating her. If she is your child will you beat her for every offence?
I don't blame you,I blame her parents.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 11:24am On May 24, 2020
Kiki4:

The above method should work. I have only 2kids, please use the cane if you have to, I use mine well. Another thing I do is I reward good behaviour. It could be a drink, biscuits. After punishing her, leave her to cry belleful then you sit her down and have a discussion. The change will be gradual. I promise you.

Thankyou I will reward when she is good

1 Like

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 11:26am On May 24, 2020
Greatzeus:

What of her mother? If you live with her parents,but you look after her when they're not around,you have no right to beat her. Physically beating a child is assault and child abuse. Let her mother be the one to punish her if need be.
If she lives with you,not her parents,for any reason, you have to decide to return her to her parents or other family members if you can't do without beating her.
She is a child,you are destroying her sub conscious mind by maltreating her. If she is your child will you beat her for every offence?
I don't blame you,I blame her parents.

Her mother had asked me to help because she is struggling. I don’t beat her for no reason only when other methods fail. I’m very loving with her but she is very stubborn.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by merieam16(f): 3:38pm On May 24, 2020
wen shestarts cryin lovk her in a room
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 5:36pm On May 24, 2020
merieam16:
wen shestarts cryin lovk her in a room
Thanks
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 12:35am On May 25, 2020
I tried the naughty corner and she resisted for some time. But I told her she can’t play until she stops making noise. It worked somewhat but still have to keep trying each day.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Ishilove: 2:02pm On May 25, 2020
ProtectMyMoney:

Give her a naughty corner.
Draw a small square in a corner of your seating room (away from TV view) where you name naughty corner.

When she misbehaves, send her to the naughty corner. If she leaves take her back to the corner and let her know anytime she misbehaves, she will always go to the naughty corner.

She will start behaving properly

Try the above and give us your feed back.
Naughty corner.... How strange. A hot slap on the back or few lashes from a koboko usually did the trick when I was growing up.

*sigh

The times we live in undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by ProtectMyMoney: 2:14pm On May 25, 2020
Ishilove:

Naughty corner.... How strange. A hot slap on the back or few lashes from a koboko usually did the trick when I was growing up.

*sigh

Hot slap from your Aunt or from your own Parents?
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Ishilove: 2:18pm On May 25, 2020
ProtectMyMoney:

Hot slap from your Aunt or from your own Parents?
All of the above. My aunt gave me a couple of hard knocks back then.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by bukatyne(f): 3:05pm On May 25, 2020
Ishilove:

All of the above. My aunt gave me a couple of hard knocks back then.

For me, if it graduated to a slap, it was double whammy.

The eyes should have done the trick.
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by cococandy(f): 3:15pm On May 25, 2020
Ishilove:

*sigh

It works magic for my kid.

I don’t know what it is about it. Maybe the fear of missing out on the fun stuff while “incarcerated” grin . A threat of time-out resets her brain instantly.

Think about it like prison. Nobody wants to go there no matter how nice it is.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Ishilove: 4:35pm On May 25, 2020
bukatyne:

For me, if it graduated to a slap, it was double whammy.

The eyes should have done the trick.
Haaaaa, the look. That also worked, especially my mum's. The Look guaranteed that the day lost all flavour you cheesy
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Ishilove: 4:36pm On May 25, 2020
cococandy:

I don’t know what it is about it. Maybe the fear of missing out on the fun stuff while “incarcerated” grin . A threat of time-out resets her brain instantly.

My sister it seems different things work for kids of nowadays o. grin
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by cococandy(f): 5:08pm On May 25, 2020
Ishilove:

My sister it seems different things work for kids of nowadays o. grin
indeed
Re: My Niece Behave Badly by Mamasessy(f): 10:26pm On May 25, 2020
cococandy:

Same for me but now people say it’s abuse. But in my eyes the kid can choose to behave. If they choose not to behave then they have to suffer consequences. My own children I only had to beat them when they small because they learn what will happen if they misbehave.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do I Do??? / 12 Problems Of Marrying A Working Class Lady Bisi Adewale / Is Stripping Prostitution?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.