Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,858 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

What Makes Someone "african"? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Makes Someone "african"? (3839 Views)

What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? / What Makes Igbo's Different And Proud From The Rest Of Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes Someone "african"? by ladysteph: 7:37am On Jan 18, 2011
Does one only have to be born in Africa to be considered African?

What if one has African parents but was born in the states; can they consider themselves African?

Is it just about being involved in the culture(eating African food,Lang. African music,visiting their home country and etc)??

My parents are from Africa but they came to the States and had me( I was close to being born in Africa).
Basically, I was born in the states but I am very into African culture 100%(Been to Africa a couple of times as well,eat the food, cook the food,date African men,African music,wear African clothing sometimes and etc). Everytime someone ask me what I am, I say I am African.

The dilemma is that a few other Africans don't consider me African because of the way I talk (I don't have the African accent) but I can use it and I can speak broken English. Am i less African because I wasn't born there or don't have an accent?

So what makes one "African" or qualified to be considered and called "African".

Please give me your opinion. grin
Re: What Makes Someone "african"? by tpia6: 7:20pm On Jan 18, 2011
where are your parents from?
Re: What Makes Someone "african"? by ladysteph: 8:20pm On Jan 18, 2011
liberia
Re: What Makes Someone "african"? by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:26pm On Jan 18, 2011
dont be confused by

1 african born people in forcing you that you are african becoz you are different from them becoz you where born in america

2 by whites becoz they take you as second class citizen

3 by blacks like you born to parent who came from africa

look at this have YOU ever heard whites saying i am european (that is in US ) am sure they dont but they say i am an AMERICAN becoz he was born in AMERICA period though he might say my great great migrated from britain

so whats the difference with you ? nothing you are all AMERICANS american is a country of immigrates  the british founded the country and called it AMERICAN
Re: What Makes Someone "african"? by tpia6: 9:49pm On Jan 18, 2011
Re: What Makes Someone "african"? by Tsiya(m): 8:42pm On Jan 20, 2011
Simple!!!

What make a chinese, chinese? Is Chinese American, Chinese?

What make an Indian, Indian? Is Indian American, Indian?

If you have an answer to this question, then u got ur solution!

(1) (Reply)

Michael Jackson's Brothers Attend Ofala Festival At Onitsha / What Is A Bush Baby? / Learn English And Hausa Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.