Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments (29062 Views)

How Much Do You Love Iru (locust Beans) In Your Food? (Picture) / Condiments Available / Using Locust Beans(iru/ogiri/dawadawa) To Cook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by TigerFoods: 9:34am On May 30, 2020
Iru; the Godmother of all Condiments.

African Locust Bean, is the secret behind the making of ‘Iru’ by Yorubas, ‘Ogiri Okpei or Dawa Dawa’ by Igbos, the perfect seasoning used in sauces, soups and stews. If you are not used to the “funky” aroma of Ogiri, you might be taken aback, but the deep savouriness it brings to dishes, especially if first cooked in oil, will leave you impressed. This is one ingredient in soups you can’t miss even if you were miles away. The aroma is bound to keep you on your toes while cooking. Iru is incorporated in soups like Egusi/Oha soup, Efo Riro, Onugbu soup, Ofada sauce, and a crucial ingredient in the preparation of African salad (Abacha).

Ever wondered how these local seasonings are made? Well, we are glad you stumbled on this post as we will show you how these various nutritious and healthy local condiments are made.

Iru/Dawadawa

Sort the locust beans to remove any foreign particles. Soak the locust beans in hot water and leave for seven days or boil for about 8 hours.
Place the seeds in a mortar and pound with a pestle to remove the hull from the seed. Sieve off the chaff. The cleaned seeds are then steamed and spread inside a calabash filled with wood ash and covered with leaves.
The calabash is covered and wrapped with clothes or sack for about 24 to 36 hours for fermentation to take place. Dawadawa is then pressed into cakes, in the form of discs. This can now be used as a condiment for soups or stews. This seasoning is a rich source of protein, vitamins, and other nutrients.

Ogiri Okpei

Ogiri Okpei is a fermented, mashed and compressed locust beans, mostly used by the Igbos.

The seeds of choice are first sorted, washed, and cleaned thoroughly in clean water. Note; you can use Egusi seeds, fluted pumpkin, Mesquite seeds, castor oil seeds, or sesame seeds.
Cook the seeds until they get softened so that the seeds coverings can easily peel off for easy removal. Afterward, wash the seed and pour it in a sieve to drain excess water.
Then add the seed into a vessel then cover with local leaves like plantain leaves and allow to stand for at least 4 days to undergo fermentation.
It is optional to place the vessel or jar under the sunlight during the process of fermentation to hasten up the fermentation process.
Once the fermentation process is complete, ground the fermented seeds into a smooth thick paste, then mould into small balls and allow to dry under the sun.
Once the Ogiri okpei is sun-dried, it is then ready for usage.

Ogiri Ijebu/Egusi

This food flavouring condiment is consumed mostly by the Igbo, Ijebu and the Ondo tribe. While this may not be a popular seasoning, the aroma it gives our soup especially the Egusi soup will leave you wondering where you have been all this while to have missed a whole lot on the delicious taste of this condiment. To prepare this Ogiri;

Boil melon seeds until it becomes very soft and meshed.
Wrap the mashed melon seeds tightly in banana leave and leave it to ferment for 5 to 7 days.
Place the fermented mashed melon in an earthen clay pot and cover with jute bags to provide low oxygen tension.

Place the wrapped fermented mashed melon on a wire mesh and smoke over charcoal heat at a distance for about two hours before using it to cook.

Foodies, if you haven’t used any or tried another type of Iru, you are missing out a great deal. Try making this local seasoning at home

https://www.tigerfoods.com/iru-the-godmother-of-all-condiments/

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by SocialJustice: 10:02am On May 30, 2020
This smelly shiit

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 10:07am On May 30, 2020
SocialJustice:
This smelly shiit
lol

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by chii8(f): 1:12pm On May 30, 2020
In Igbo,it's called okpei and the sister also ogiri.

28 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by SKYloafFISH(f): 1:51pm On May 30, 2020
SocialJustice:
This smelly shiit
That's what you think... It's still sweeter in every meal

105 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Pavore9: 3:11pm On May 30, 2020
@TigerFoods, what is the shelf life and the weight of this Ugu pack? Is your ogiri product already in the market?

4 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by TigerFoods: 7:36am On Jun 01, 2020
At the moment, we do not have Ogiri as a product in the market. Thank you.
Pavore9:
@TigerFoods, what is the shelf life and the weight of this Ugu pack? Is your Ogiri product already in the market?

3 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Pavore9: 7:38am On Jun 01, 2020
TigerFoods:
Vegeta Ugu is a dehydrated Vegetable and hence it has a long shelf life. We don't have ogiri as a product in the market. Thank you.

Noted. What is the weight of each pack of the Ugu? How many grams does each pack weigh?

2 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by TigerFoods: 7:41am On Jun 01, 2020
Our Vegeta Ugu comes in 25g Pouch.
Pavore9:

Noted. What is the weight of each pack of the Ugu? How many grams does each pack weigh?

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Pavore9: 7:45am On Jun 01, 2020
TigerFoods:
Our Vegeta Ugu comes in 25g Pouch.

Re-hydrate by soaking in water before cooking, I guess? How much is the retail/carton price and where can it be picked in Lagos?

2 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by TigerFoods: 8:04am On Jun 01, 2020
Yes. Please our prices differ according to the location.
Pavore9:

Re-hydrate by soaking in water before cooking, I guess? How much is the retail/carton price and where can it be picked in Lagos?
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by TFeminist(f): 5:13pm On Jun 25, 2020
Pavore9:

r u back in naija? Let's do something in IMO na? Cheers
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Pavore9: 7:45pm On Jun 26, 2020
TFeminist:
r u back in naija? Let's do something in IMO na? Cheers

No, still outside. Ndi ne chem kari kwa! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by pocohantas(f): 9:30pm On Jun 26, 2020
chii8:
In Igbo,it's called okpei and the sister also ogiri.

You mean they are different? I used one in my ofe akwu after you gave the inspiration. I am really enjoying it, don’t know if it’s because e done tey or because of the ogiri.

I am just confused... grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by chii8(f): 10:09pm On Jun 26, 2020
pocohantas:

You mean they are different? I used on in my ife akwu after you gave the inspiration. I am really enjoying it, don’t know if it’s because e done tey or because of the ogiri.

I am just confused... grin grin

Lol... the okpei is used for ofe akwu,ofe ogbono,ofe egwusi while ogiri is used when cooking ofe onugbu,ofe nsala,ofe oha,abacha... that's for Anambra people ooo, don't know about other eastern states oooo.They are both really nice in their own way.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by pocohantas(f): 10:13pm On Jun 26, 2020
chii8:

Lol... the okpei is used for ofe akwu,ofe ogbono,ofe egwusi while ogiri is used when cooking ofe onugbu,ofe nsala,ofe oha,abacha... that's for Anambra people ooo, don't know about other eastern states oooo.They are both really nice in their own way.

I think Imo people use it too. Okay, it was okpei I asked for. They are all smelly, but I like the okpei and the twist it brought to my food.

Are they both made from locust bean?

4 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by bigt2(m): 4:44am On Jun 27, 2020
Iru pete or iru wooro? grin

36 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Yankee101: 4:44am On Jun 27, 2020
Dawadawa

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by ursullalinda(f): 4:45am On Jun 27, 2020
I use it only in Ofe akwu......didn't know it can be used in other soups......Then use the main ogiri for ofe ede and Abacha......thou it's not compulsory for ofe akwu.

5 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by hisexcellency34: 4:45am On Jun 27, 2020
Iru...the godfather of odour

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by victorjoe(m): 4:45am On Jun 27, 2020
Yuck! Smelling thing... Yoruba babe came to my house and cooked, iru changed the smell of my house the whole day

11 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Yankee101: 4:46am On Jun 27, 2020
We go buy for here if una fit remove the smell

Oyinbo go just call 911 for persin say you carry dead animal

But e sweet for soup no part 2

7 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by uniqueboi1(m): 4:47am On Jun 27, 2020
cool

1 Like

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 4:47am On Jun 27, 2020
SKYloafFISH:

That's what you think... It's still sweeter in every meal
It's not for every meal please ...Igbo only use it for native meal and it's not compulsory....yorubas use it for everything and most times it doesn't go well

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by ZACHIE: 4:48am On Jun 27, 2020
Too much character, limitless effiizy, Iru is the ultimate soup condiment.
The processes of making Iru can be nauseous, though.

4 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 4:48am On Jun 27, 2020
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CONDIMENT AND INGREDIENT?
PLEASE SOMEONE SHOULD TELL ME WITH EXAMPLES. THANKS.
PEPPER AND SALT FALLS UNDER CONDIMENT OR INGREDIENT?
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Nobody: 4:49am On Jun 27, 2020
E dey sweet for okro and ewedu

20 Likes

Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by klbakare(m): 4:50am On Jun 27, 2020
Am here
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by klbakare(m): 4:50am On Jun 27, 2020
Am cumming back grin grin grin
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by Mordecai(m): 4:54am On Jun 27, 2020
I'd like to know please, am I the only one that dreads having to unwrap a Dangote seasoning cube?

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Re: Iru: The Godmother Of All Condiments by tillaman(m): 4:54am On Jun 27, 2020
Na that smell gan gan Make iru unique, any egusi wen get iru and okporoko gbogbotigbo combined with better swallow Makes your palate screams amazing grace

25 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Make Spaghetti (Delicious Jollof Spaghetti) / A Nairalander Cooking Okra Soup / The Most Delicious Part Of New Year Jollof Rice!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.