Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit (1580 Views)

The Four Types Of Tithes As Mentioned in The Bible / Pastor E.A Adeboye Reacts To Daddy Freeze's Comments On Tithes (VIDEO) / OAP Freeze's Biblical Misinformation On Collection Of Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 5:02am On May 31, 2020
PAYING OF TITHES: THE LETTERS AND THE SPIRIT

I keep having to share my thoughts on this issue as a lot of Christians are not clear about it. The controversies and falsehood surrounding this topic has also made it a point of derision from detractors of Christianity. So let me try and break it down.
Like in life generally, there are stages to learning, practicing and then gaining a well-rounded understanding or wisdom of human laws and traditions. In this context, the letters usually precede the spirit. The letters can be explained as the exact way a law is laid out for a specific people in specific circumstances of place and time. The spirit on the other hand is what gives us a deeper understanding of why the law is important and how it can be applied in varying circumstances.

Since the whole world is currently talking about covid-19, let me use it as an example. To most governments, when they hear coronavirus, the first thing that comes to their mind is total lockdown. So the letters of “corona law” is; “there is pandemic, order a total lockdown!” But research has shown that lockdowns also have their toll on the society and governments are gradually coming to terms with the fact that the lockdown does not have to be total and should be applied differently, depending on peculiar localized settings. That is why different states in the US and Nigeria also are handling their lockdowns differently; hence applying the spirit of the law.

Back to tithes; what does the word even mean? Simply, tithe means one of ten parts, or a tenth.

When dealing with controversial Christian topics, my foremost point of authority is always Jesus the Christ, who is the head of the Church. I consider his viewpoint on any issue as axiomatic, fundamental and paramount. Beyond that, I may now bring in other scriptural references that may provide more insight. So what did Christ say about tithes? Christ said though paying of tithes was not a “weightier matter of the law", we are not leave it “undone”. (Matthew 23:23) As you can see, Christ’s stance on tithing is quite moderate, not like the extreme views a lot of opinionists bandy around, for or against. So let us now consider other scriptural references.

The very first instance of paying of tithes was by none other than the father of Christianity, Abraham. It was a one-time offering of a tenth of his war spoils which he parted with Melchizedek, the enigmatic priest. (Genesis 14:18-20) Tithe was not mentioned again until the instance of Jacob making a promise to JEHOVAH God, that if he is returned to Bethel, his people would offer tithe to God. (Genesis 28:16-22)
It was not until the time of Moses, after he had led the Israelites out of Egypt that he reeled out statutes governing the paying of tithes to his people. Prior to that, there was no law concerning the paying of tithes.

THE LETTERS
In leading a fledging nation that was just out of captivity, Moses under the inspiration of God, drew up many laws and statutes to guide the Israelites in their day to day operations. In obeisance to the very first commandment – Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, Moses designed a system where the worship of God would be formalized centrally. This was why he consecrated the Levites to the special needs of tabernacle/temple duties. As such, the Levites were denied any inheritance of the land and all the other eleven tribes of the nation were to pay a tenth of their agrarian produce to the Levites, so that they could sustain themselves and their families. This tithe was to be paid at the end of every year. (Numbers 18:21-28; Leviticus 27:30)

Two other less prominent tithes Moses passed a law on were the “refreshment tithe” (Deuteronomy 14:23-26) and the “alms tithe” (Deuteronomy 14:28; 26: 12). Unlike the tithes specifically meant for the Levites, these tithes were not to be offered every year.

Since we’re still on letters, I am inclined to bring in the frequently (mis)quoted Malachi chapter 3. Many pastors and theologians fail to realize or educate people on the simple fact that the “rob God” verses, Malachi 3:8-10, are not applicable to the non-church-worker. A critical look at the verses in context will make one understand that it refers particularly to those who are in charge of collecting and recording tithes, and then moving it to the storehouse as purposed. This duty is for the Levite class only and not for the other eleven tribes. That is why Malachi 3:3 talks about the purification and purging of the “sons of Levi”. In fact, the whole book of Malachi is written with particular reference to the duties of the priests and the Levites. You may read the selected verses of the book and try to place it all in context of the message of the prophet (Malachi 1:6, 7, 10; 2:1, 2, 4-8, 13).

Essentially, the “man” that robs God, and indeed the nation, is not the one that failed to pay his tithe, but the one that corruptly steals what has been paid as tithes already, which he is duty-bound to have moved to the treasury (storehouse).

THE SPIRIT
In dealing with the laws of God, we must remember that the letters foreshadow greater things to come; the spirit. (Hebrews 10:1) Like I already pointed out, the letters are statutes of the law while the spirit is the relevance of it. This is why it is emphasized in 2 Corinthians 3:6 that the letters kill but the spirit quickens or gives life. As Christians, we must endeavour not to get fixated on the letters as Christ has brought the spirit, which is the fulfilment of the letters. The spirit in question is LOVE, which is the greatest commandment, by which true disciples of Christ will be identified. (Romans 13:8-13; 1 Timothy 1:5)

Tithing is a way of demonstrating our professed love for God, by contributing to the welfare of those who minister in His temple. The law of giving of a tenth of our earning is a very good example of how it should be done; hence Christ saying we should not leave it “undone”. St. John says emphatically that you cannot claim to love God if you do not demonstrate this to your fellow man – 1 John 4:20, 21. St. Paul says we should be good to all men, especially to our Christian family. (Galatians 6:10) We are also enjoined to donate cheerfully and willingly to the church. (2 Corinthians 9:6 - 8 ) Although St. Paul proudly asserted that though he never demanded monies from his followers, which he was due; he stressed that he who works for the church should earn his wages or means of livelihood from the church as well. (1 Corinthians 9:11-17) Then in Hebrews 7, he elaborated on how the beneficiaries of tithes had changed from the Levites under the Mosaic Law, (returning) to the ministers of Christ, under the first originally recorded human priesthood – Melchizedek.

I am not a church owner nor can I speak for any; but I believe a tenth of the earnings of all working church members, plus offerings should be sufficient for running the group and catering for church workers (not only pastor) and their non-working family members. It was never meant to be a means of self-aggrandizement but one of modest living that mirrors the average economic class of members of the congregation. This is not the era on getting fixated on the letters of the law; firstfruits, penalty for late payment of tithes, etc. Be guided by the general template of tithes in the Bible; follow the guiding instructions as laid out by your church authorities; remember it’s not about obeying the law to the letters but to show one’s love to God’s work by contributing reasonably to the upkeep of the church and her workers, while keeping a chunk of your earnings for your own upkeep! If your church leaders have some other means of livelihood and do not require tithes from you, following the example of St. Paul, they are very much in order.

This is not the era of stringent adherence to the specifics of the tithing laws. Run from any pastor that tells you to sow a seed with all your earnings; he’s just out to fleece you IMO. If you are so moved, well that’s up to you. Jesus advised the rich young man to sell all his belongings and give the proceeds to the poor before coming to join him (Christ), he did not say bring it to me! The widow that gave all she had, did so because she was poor, not only faithful. What she gave was quite insignificant. I don’t think she would have given “all she had” if she was a millionaire! And remember she did not do it to the knowledge of the temple leaders; Christ knew she had made an extraordinary sacrifice because he sees “the heart” of men, unlike the apostles or the religious leaders.

For Christians who keep coming up with reasons why we should not pay tithes, there is not a single, direct scriptural reference to back it up. If Christ was against the law of tithing, he would not have encouraged it. The most salient reason usually adduced to not paying of tithes, of Christ having made a once-for-all sacrifice, is not relevant to payment of tithes. The blood sacrifice of our Saviour abrogates the need for Christians to offer their prayers and thanksgivings through animal sacrifices, but rather through the name of Christ, the Lamb of God who shed his blood for the remission of our sins. The ordinance has not changed; we are still required to pray, to offer thanksgiving, to give offerings and to pay tithes, but through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. That takes nothing away from the relevance, or the spirit of the law on paying of tithes.

In conclusion, I would point out that tithing is to the Nation of Christ (God's people) as taxation is to governments. They are both meant primarily for three purposes: to provide an income for church/government workers; to provide funds needed to run the church/government; to support the financially challenged in the church/society. If Christ urged his followers to pay their taxes, his disposition towards encouraging paying of tithes should not be in question: Simply, do not neglect payment of tithes.

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by TheSourcerer: 5:04am On May 31, 2020
Find way to help people dying unessesarily from hunger and poverty and stop trying to syphoon the little they have

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 5:11am On May 31, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Find way to help people dying unnesunnecerily from hunger and ooverpo and stop trying to syphoon the little they have

Paying the "alms tithe" is one of the ways; it is meant for the financially challenged in the society
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Humanoid01(m): 5:13am On May 31, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Find way to help people dying unnesunnecerily from hunger and ooverpo and stop trying to syphoon the little they have
Relax bikonu!
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by TheSourcerer: 5:14am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:

Paying the "alms tithe" is one of the ways; it is meant for the financially challenged in the society
well I see the great things it has done to the society , it's very glearing infact

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by TheSourcerer: 5:15am On May 31, 2020
Humanoid01:

Relax bikonu!
edited grammar Nazi mf meathead
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Kobojunkie: 6:30am On May 31, 2020
This is what God told you to do with the Tithe He commanded of you in the old agreement.

Deuteronomy 14 vs 22 -29 ERV
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
22 “Every year you must be sure to save one-tenth(tithe) of all the crops that grow in your fields.
23 Then you must go to the place the Lord chooses to be the home for his name. You will go there to be with the Lord your God. At that place you will eat the tenth(tithe) of your crops—one-tenth of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the first animals born in your herds and flocks. In this way, you will always remember to respect the Lord your God.
24 But that place might be too far for you to travel to. Maybe you will not be able to carry one-tenth(tithe) of all the crops that the Lord has blessed you with. If that happens,
25 sell that part of your crops and take the money with you to the special place the Lord has chosen.
26 Use the money to buy anything you want—cattle, sheep, wine or beer or any other food. Then you and your family should eat and enjoy yourselves there in that place with the Lord your God.
27 But don’t forget the Levites living in your town. Share your food with them because they don’t have a share of the land like you have.
28 “At the end of every three years, you must gather one-tenth of your harvest for that year. Store this food in your towns.
29 Keep this food for the Levites, because they don’t have any land of their own. Also keep this food for the foreigners, orphans, and widows who live in your towns. This will provide enough for them to come and eat all they want. If you do this, the Lord your God will bless you in everything you do.
If you choose to live by the old agreement, note that God still expects you to carry out His command as He, God, has stipulated, not as your pastors/oversees/so-called men of god have instructed you.

Deuteronomy 26 vs 12 - 15 (ERV)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 Every third year is the Year of Tithes. In that year, you must give one-tenth of your harvest to the Levites, to the foreigners living in your country, and to the widows and orphans. Then they will have plenty to eat in every city.
13 You must say to the Lord your God, ‘I have taken out of my house the holy part of my harvest. I have given it to the Levites, to the foreigners, and to the orphans and widows. I have followed all the commands you gave me. I have not refused to obey any of your commands. I have not forgotten them.
14 I have not eaten this food when I was sad.[c] I was not unclean when I collected this food.[d] I have not offered any of this food for dead people. I have obeyed you, Lord my God. I have done everything you commanded me.
15 Look down from your holy home, from heaven, and bless your people Israel. And bless the land that you gave us. You promised our ancestors to give us this land—a land filled with many good things.’
God expects you to obey the portion that He has stipulated for you in His Old agreement, and nothing less and nothing more.

Numbers 18 vs 25-29 (ERV)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25 The Lord said to Moses,
26 “Speak to the Levites and tell them: The Israelites will give one-tenth of everything they own to the Lord. That one-tenth will belong to the Levites. But you must give one-tenth of that to the Lord as your offering.
27 That tenth will be your offering to the Lord. It will be like grain from your own threshing floor or wine from your own winepress.
28 In this way you will also give an offering to the Lord just as the other Israelites do. You will get the one-tenth that the Israelites give to the Lord, and then you will give one-tenth of that to Aaron the priest.
29 When the Israelites give you one-tenth of everything that they own, then you must give the best and the holiest part of these things as your gift to the Lord.

Deuteronomy 30 vs 15-20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15 “Today I have given you a choice between life and death, success and disaster.
16 I command you today to love the Lord your God. I command you to follow him and to obey his commands, laws, and rules. Then you will live, and your nation will grow larger. And the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take for your own.
17 But if you turn away from your God and refuse to listen, if you are led away to worship and serve other gods,
18 you will be destroyed. I am warning you today, if you turn away from God, you will not live long in that land across the Jordan River that you are ready to enter and take for your own.

Jeremiah 7 vs 21- 23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21 This is what the Lord All-Powerful, the God of Israel, says: “Go and offer as many burnt offerings and sacrifices as you want. Eat the meat of those sacrifices yourselves.
22 I brought your ancestors out of Egypt. I spoke to them, but I did not give them any commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices.
23 I only gave them this command: ‘Obey me and I will be your God, and you will be my people. Do all that I command, and good things will happen to you.’

1 Like

Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by petra1(m): 6:43am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:

That's true. Alms doesn't not replace Gods tithes
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by chinebu(m): 6:59am On May 31, 2020
Jesus Christ came and died on the cross of Calvary for our sins and for reunification of man with God.
This sacrifice alone is enough. Accept Christ in your life and live like he did while on earth. We are Christians because we are supposed to live like Christ.
Whatever Christ did while on earth try to emulate him and leave the rest. Heaven at last. Tithe will not prevent you from going to heaven if don't pay. Prove me wrong if you disagree
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Kobojunkie: 7:05am On May 31, 2020
Tithing, as it is done in today's churches, is not according to God's stipulation in His Old covenant, but according to the doctrines and rules of men. Anyone who tithes ought to look closer at how God commanded the people as far as eating/paying their tithes, and then compare that which is written to that which is in practice in today's churches. There are no similarities.
So anyone who chooses to live according to the Old covenant but tithes according to how it is done in today's Churches is living in disobedience to the command of God.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Humanoid01(m): 7:40am On May 31, 2020
TheSourcerer:
edited grammar Nazi mf meathead
Even after editing, you still spelt it incorrectly. Shame!
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Humanoid01(m): 7:43am On May 31, 2020
TheSourcerer:
well I see the great things it has done to the society , it's very glearing infact
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by TheSourcerer: 7:44am On May 31, 2020
[quote author=Humanoid01 post=90146703][/quote] I was been sarcastic 'humanoid ' lol ironic though .
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 8:00am On May 31, 2020
chinebu:
Jesus Christ came and died on the cross of Calvary for our sins and for reunification of man with God.
This sacrifice alone is enough. Accept Christ in your life and live like he did while on earth. We are Christians because we are supposed to live like Christ.
Whatever Christ did while on earth try to emulate him and leave the rest. Heaven at last. Tithe will not prevent you from going to heaven if don't pay. Prove me wrong if you disagree

I quite agree with you. That is why I compared it with paying of taxes, though it is relatively more important. My whole point was Christ's instruction - "do not neglect it". That is different from "you must pay it or you will not be saved". It is a Jewish tradition we should emulate, for the right reasons, as exemplified by Abraham, the natural father of the Christian faith.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Kobojunkie: 8:04am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:
I quite agree with you. That is why I compared it with paying of taxes, though it is relatively more important. My whole point was Christ's instruction - "do not neglect it". That is different from "you must pay it or you will not be saved". It is a Jewish tradition we should emulate, for the right reasons, as exemplified by Abraham, the natural father of the Christian faith.
Where did Christ say "do not neglect it"? undecided
How and where did Abraham exemplify this? undecided
How can Abraham be our natural father when we are called gentiles here, not jews? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 8:05am On May 31, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Tithing, as it is done in today's churches, is not according to God's stipulation in His Old covenant, but according to the doctrines and rules of men. Anyone who tithes ought to look closer at how God commanded the people as far as eating/paying their tithes, and then compare that which is written to that which is in practice in today's churches. There are no similarities.
So anyone who chooses to live according to the Old covenant but tithes according to how it is done in today's Churches is living in disobedience to the command of God.

You don't need to generalize as tithing methods are different from denomination to denomination. Rightly tho, a lot of churches abuse it and I kinda addressed that already. There are a lot of false churches out there, Christ himself warned about that. If all your pastor is doing is living flamboyantly off the contributions of his flock, then check yourself and check the pastor very well cos you're probably in the wrong place.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Kobojunkie: 8:08am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:
You don't need to generalize as tithing methods are different from denomination to denomination. Rightly tho, a lot of churches abuse it and I kinda addressed that already. There are a lot of false churches out there, Christ himself warned about that. If all your pastor is doing is living flamboyantly off the contributions of his flock, then check yourself and check the pastor very well cos you're probably in the wrong place.
What denomination's tithing practices are exactly as defined in the books of Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and Numbers, by God Himself? undecided undecided
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 8:25am On May 31, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Where did Christ say "do not neglect it"? undecided
How and where did Abraham exemplify this? undecided
How can Abraham be our natural father when we are called gentiles here, not jews? undecided undecided undecided

I already shared all this in my original post.

a. Christ said not to neglect payment of tithes - Matthew 23:23

New International Version
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

New Living Translation
“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.

English Standard Version
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.

b/ Abraham was the first person to pay tithes - Genesis 14:18-20

Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, 19 and he blessed Abram, saying,
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Creator of heaven and earth.
And praise be to God Most High,
who delivered your enemies into your hand.”
Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

c/ Abraham is the natural father of the Christian faith - Romans 2:26-29

So then, if those who are not circumcised keep the law’s requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were circumcised? The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker.

A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.

NOTE: Being a Christian makes one a "spiritual Jew". Abraham is the ancestral father of the natural Jews. But his beliefs have gone beyond the natural Jews and into the originally heathen nations. St. Paul was very instrumental in pushing the gospel of Christ beyond Israel, hence his admonition above.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 8:39am On May 31, 2020
Kobojunkie:

What denomination's tithing practices are exactly as defined in the books of Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and Numbers, by God Himself? undecided undecided

My point is tithing is not the same in all churches. I cannot tell you one denomination that practices it exactly as stated in the Bible. I never claimed to know all church denominations, and I don't need to. I know Christ, that is what is important.

Question: Have you ever heard from "God Himself"? God always speaks through his messengers. We all need to understand this; no matter how perfect the law of God is, there is a high chance it will always be translated imperfectly because the person relating the message has his limitations; the prophets and the apostles only received the spirit of God in "part". The only messenger that received the Holy Spirit in full is Jesus Christ. The laws of God through Moses were not perfect, anybody that claims they are should do well to abide by them in-toto, not cherry-picking the ones he finds convenient. The new is greater than the old; the old is a shadow of the new; the old was the letter, the new is the spirit. If the old was perfect, then there would have been no need for the new.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Kobojunkie: 8:40am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:

I already shared all this in my original post.

a. Christ said not to neglect payment of tithes - Matthew 23:23
English Standard Version
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.
I suggest you should re-read the above again. I believe you misconstrue the message that Christ in fact has in there.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 8:43am On May 31, 2020
Kobojunkie:
I suggest you should re-read the above again. I believe you misconstrue the message that Christ in fact has in there.

I might read it a 1,000 times without seeing your point. What exactly are you disputing?
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Kobojunkie: 8:52am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:

b/ Abraham was the first person to pay tithes - Genesis 14:18-20
Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, 19 and he blessed Abram, saying,
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Creator of heaven and earth.
And praise be to God Most High,
who delivered your enemies into your hand.”
Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
Abram's encounter with the 4 Kings, along with King Melchizedek

Genesis 14 vs 16-24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 Then Abram brought back everything the enemy had stolen, as well as the women and servants, his nephew Lot, and everything Lot owned.
17 Then Abram went home after he defeated Kedorlaomer and the kings with him. On his way home, the king of Sodom went out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh. (This is now called King’s Valley.)
18 Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High, also went to meet Abram. He brought bread and wine.
19 He blessed Abram and said,
“Abram, may you be blessed by God Most High,
the one who made heaven and earth.
20 And we praise God Most High,
who helped you defeat your enemies.”
Abram gave Melchizedek one-tenth of everything he had taken during the battle.
21 Then the king of Sodom told Abram, “Give me my people who were captured. But you can keep everything else.”
22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I promise to the Lord, the God Most High, the one who made heaven and earth.
23 I promise that I will not keep anything that is yours—not even a thread or a sandal strap! I don’t want you to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’
24 The only thing I will accept is the food that my young men have eaten, but you should give the other men their share. Take what we won in battle and give some to Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre. These men helped me in the battle.”
Please point out where exactly Abraham paid this TITHE?

okosunehis:

c/ Abraham is the natural father of the Christian faith - Romans 2:26-29

So then, if those who are not circumcised keep the law’s requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were circumcised? The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker.
Keep the old testament laws? Because that is the law which has Circumcision as its seal.
okosunehis:

A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.
A jew is a jew inwardly, got it! One who is circumcized according to the old Covenant is circumcized. Now for the new covenant, however, since the seal is not an outward circumcision but the Spirit of God Himself, I fail to see how that makes the person hence a jew.
okosunehis:

NOTE: Being a Christian makes one a "spiritual Jew". Abraham is the ancestral father of the natural Jews. But his beliefs have gone beyond the natural Jews and into the originally heathen nations. St. Paul was very instrumental in pushing the gospel of Christ beyond Israel, hence his admonition above.

Jesus Christ, the author, and finisher of our faith, never said anything about the Spirit of the Almighty God making all nations into Jewish nations. I think you are grossly mistaken. And Paul would not contradict or add to what Jesus said, would he?
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 9:04am On May 31, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Keep the old testament laws? Because that is the law which has Circumcision as its seal.
A jew is a jew inwardly, got it! One who is circumcized according to the old Covenant is circumcized. Now for the new covenant, however, since the seal is not an outward circumcision but the Spirit of God Himself, I fail to see how that makes the person hence a jew.

Jesus Christ, the author, and finisher of our faith, never said anything about the Spirit of the Almighty God making all nations into Jewish nations. I think you are grossly mistaken. And Paul would not contradict or add to what Jesus said, would he?

Jesus Christ did not say everything about everything; his ministry was only a three and a half year ministry, which was specifically for the natural Jews. But his message was meant for the world, hence the need for his apostles to continue his work. Off course they can add to his teaching, not to contradict but in the context of elaboration or treating areas he did not touch, and there are many of such instances.

The Nation of Christ is not a physical one. With or without circumcision, anyone that believes in Christ and follows his teaching is his true brother and disciple. It is neither familial nor political; but of the spirit. That the gospel of Christ will be taken to all nations does not mean all nations will become Jewish; it only means that you would have "spiritual Jews" in all nations.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 9:16am On May 31, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Tithe means one-tenth. The Mosaic law of tithes is not what Abraham performed, of course that came way after. Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth of his battle spoils. That is the first example of tithing in the Bible and St. Paul corroborated this in Hebrews 7:4-6 (shared below)

4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Kobojunkie: 9:19am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:
Jesus Christ did not say everything about everything; his ministry was only a three and a half year ministry, which was specifically for the natural Jews.
undecided He said everything there was to say about what we needed. He was the new covenant and He left us all the details of the covenant that was He(the blessings, curses, commandments, and the Seal of the new covenant). He only needed 3.5 years to do it and He completed what He came to do for us. When He said on the cross that it was finished, He meant for us to know that the new covenant which God promised to us through the prophets was now in available for us all -- all nations.

His message was not for the natural Jews, because even at the time of His death, He only had a handful of followers, even after preaching to at least 5000 persons during His time on earth. There were some who were not even Jews who heard Him -- so not just the natural Jews heard of Him.
okosunehis:
But his message was meant for the world, hence the need for his apostles to continue his work. Off course they can add to his teaching, not to contradict but in the context of elaboration or treating areas he did not touch, and there are many of such instances.
His apostles had no power to add or remove from the new covenant that is Jesus Christ. And they did not do that at all.
Jesus already warned them of the meaninglessness that is the doctrines and rules of men, and how those who worship God in such a manner, do so in vain. He also instructed them on the importance of obeying His command and His commandments alone. So you see, the apostles knew what not to do -- they preached obedience of Christ's commandments in all wise.
okosunehis:

The Nation of Christ is not a physical one. With or without circumcision, anyone that believes in Christ and follows his teaching is his true brother and disciple. It is neither familial nor political; but of the spirit. That the gospel of Christ will be taken to all nations does not mean all nations will become Jewish; it only means that you would have "spiritual Jews" in all nations.
Circumcision is useless as far as the new covenant(Jesus Christ) is concerned. Again with the mention of "spiritual Jews"? Is the Spirit of the Living God the one responsible for making us these "Spiritual Jews" you speak of?
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 9:38am On May 31, 2020
Kobojunkie:
undecided He said everything there was to say about what we needed. He was the new covenant and He left us all the details of the covenant that was He(the blessings, curses, commandments, and the Seal of the new covenant). He only needed 3.5 years to do it and He completed what He came to do for us. When He said on the cross that it was finished, He meant for us to know that the new covenant which God promised to us through the prophets was now in available for us all -- all nations.

His message was not for the natural Jews, because even at the time of His death, He only had a handful of followers, even after preaching to at least 5000 persons during His time on earth. There were some who were not even Jews who heard Him -- so not just the natural Jews heard of Him.

His apostles had no power to add or remove from the new covenant that is Jesus Christ. And they did not do that at all.
Jesus already warned them of the meaninglessness that is the doctrines and rules of men, and how those who worship God in such a manner, do so in vain. He also instructed them on the importance of obeying His command and His commandments alone. So you see, the apostles knew what not to do -- they preached obedience of Christ's commandments in all wise.

Circumcision is useless as far as the new covenant(Jesus Christ) is concerned. Again with the mention of "spiritual Jews"? Is the Spirit of the Living God the one responsible for making us these "Spiritual Jews" you speak of?

Yes, circumcision is irrelevant to the new covenant. I think I've figured your not being comfortable with the term "spiritual Jews". That's just semantics, you can ignore it! The main point I'm making only echoes that of St. Paul; a "true" Jew, Jew being a child of Abraham, is one who shares the same faith and belief with him, as with Christ.

I agree Christ said "everything that was needed", that does not mean "everything about everything". Christ said he fulfilled the prophets, and he commissioned the apostles. To add to a teaching can mean to elaborate or expatiate. Christ added to the teaching of the prophets and messengers of Christ are adding to his word today. If it means only contradiction for you, again that is semantics. The apostles do not contradict Christ.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by Kobojunkie: 9:54am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:
Yes, circumcision is irrelevant to the new covenant. I think I've figured your not being comfortable with the term "spiritual Jews". That's just semantics, you can ignore it! The main point I'm making only echoes that of St. Paul; a "true" Jew, Jew being a child of Abraham, is one who shares the same faith and belief with him, as with Christ.
I am concerned about the claim that Abraham is the natural father of all Christians though.
okosunehis:
I agree Christ said "everything that was needed", that does not mean "everything about everything". Christ said he fulfilled the prophets, and he commissioned the apostles.
Jesus Christ did reveal everything about everything as far as the new covenant is concerned. Recall that the old testament was a legalistic system … a system of balls and chains. Jesus Christ, our new covenant, however, has only about 46 commandments( compared to 613 statutes of the old covenant).
okosunehis:
To add to a teaching can mean to elaborate or expatiate. Christ added to the teaching of the prophets and messengers of Christ are adding to his word today. If it means only contradiction for you, again that is semantics. The apostles do not contradict Christ.
Then why does your take on what Paul wrote seem to stand in contradiction to what Jesus taught?
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by donnie(m): 9:56am On May 31, 2020
There is no letter or spirit in this matter. No one can lawfully collect tithes today. It's only when it comes to collecting people's money that pastors remember the laws of YAH.

donnie:
1. Only the Priest, a Levite of the House of Israel was authorized to take tithes from the people. No Pastor, Bishop, Evangelist, apostle, prophet ever collected tithes because they were not authorized to do so by The Most High. (Nehemiah 10:37-38)

2. Since temple worship has ceased, so has Tithe and Firstfruit collection ceased until the Saviour returns, who will restore the priesthood and temple worship.

3. Tithes and firstfruits were received from only Israelites only at the place YAH chose to put his name, the temple in Jerusalem. (Deut 14:23, 2Chron 6:6)

4. Only landowners who grew crops and livestock tithed of their harvest, the Savior who was a carpenter couldn't have paid tithes. (Leviticus 27:30,32)

5. Money was not given as tithe. Tithes were in seeds, fruits, livestock, and other agricultural produce. You were penalized for bringing money as the tithe. (Leviticus 27:30-32)

6. The tither, together with the fatherless, the widows, the stranger, and the Levite (who had no land, or business) all came to the temple to eat the tithe and be satisfied. (Deut 14:23,29)

7. FIRSTFRUITS... that one is a whole new level of fraud.

8. Did Abraham and Jacob pay tithes as Christians do today?

These and many more in this video for those who love to know and walk in truth. For those who will continue in this deceit, there is a warning for you.

#AwakeOIsrael

Tithes and Firstfruits, The Christian SCAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVX90LJe_7k
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by okosunehis: 10:07am On May 31, 2020
donnie:
There is no letter or spirit in this matter. No one can lawfully collect tithes today. It's only when it comes to collecting people's money that pastors remember the laws of YAH.

The crux of your post is one of the first points I tried to address. Do you follow you pastor or Moses or Paul or Malachi or Nehemiah or Jesus. And what did Jesus say about paying of tithes?
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by donnie(m): 10:10am On May 31, 2020
okosunehis:

The crux of your post is one of the first points I tried to address. Do you follow you pastor or Moses or Paul or Malachi or Nehemiah or Jesus. And what did Jesus say about paying of tithes?

Follow the TORAH. Even MESSIAH cannot walk outside the TORAH.
Re: Payment Of Tithes: The Letters And The Spirit by donnie(m): 10:13am On May 31, 2020
Problems come when we misuse the words priest, levite, temple etc. And I find that this is deliberate.

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Costly Mistakes Of People With Great Destiny / The Description Of God / 6 Shocking Wonders Of Jehovah's Witnesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.