Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,985 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

How Do I Use Dry Ugu(pumpkin Leaves) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Do I Use Dry Ugu(pumpkin Leaves) (10554 Views)

Cooking Vegetable Soup Using Okro And Pumpkin Leaves(ugu) / Vegetables: Tomato, Ata Rodo, Tatase, Ugu / Pumpkin Leaves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Use Dry Ugu(pumpkin Leaves) by Princessjo: 12:28pm On Jan 21, 2011
Hi guys, pls how do i use dry Ugu( Pumpkin leaves )to make soup. Precisely i wanna try edikaing kong soup. am not so sure of the spelling. my friend gave me some dry Pumpkin leaves that she got from nigeria. I dont have access to water leaf but i may substitute it with spinarch. pls help me with recipe and direction using these two veges.
Re: How Do I Use Dry Ugu(pumpkin Leaves) by ifyalways(f): 12:35pm On Jan 21, 2011
Princessjo:

Hi guys, pls how do i use dry Ugu( Pumpkin leaves )to make soup. Precisely i wanna try edikaing kong soup. am not so sure of the spelling. my friend gave me some dry Pumpkin leaves that she got from nigeria. I dont have access to water leaf but i may substitute it with spinarch. pls help me with recipe and direction using these two veges.
You can use ur ugu for egusi soup.
Re: How Do I Use Dry Ugu(pumpkin Leaves) by MissyB3(f): 3:33pm On Jan 21, 2011
I don't know how Edikainkong is made but here's what Google gave me. . . .

Ingredients:
Edikaikong Soup (Serves Four)
(1) Ugu Leaves (subsitute Spinach) -- 2 Heads (2 standard Packages of Spinach)
(2) Waterleaf -- 2 Heads
(3) Crayfish -- 1 Cup
(4) Dried Fish -- 1 Medium
(5) Giant Snails (escargo) -- 4
(6) Beef or Goat Meat -- 1.5lbs
(7) Kpomo* -- 1 lb
(cool Palm Oil -- 1.5 cups
(9) Onions -- 1 Whole Large
(10) Pepper -- 6 to 10 fresh hot or to taste
(11) Seasoning -- 1 or 2 cubes of beef stock
(12) Salt -- about 2 teaspoons (use discretion)

Preparation:
If necessary wash the ugu leaves. Pluck the leaves from the stem. Discard the stems. Collate and chop the leaves into thin (1/4 inch) slices. Set aside. Do same with waterleaves.
Blend crayfish into coase powder using electric grinder.
If african giant snails are available prepare them by cleaning the meat by rubbing with lemon or soaking and massaging in vineger until all slime is gone and meat is gritty to the touch. Canned escargo is a poor substitute for african giant snails. another substitute for snail may be scallops or any other sea mullusk. However, if any of these are not available, this part of the recipe may be omitted altogether.
Break up the dried fish in a bowl pour in boiling water, add about 2 spoon heaps of salt. Wash the fish in the hot salt water to remove sand and other dirt. Remove fish from salt water and set aside.
Grind peppers to a paste. Set aside.
*Traditionally, kpomo or hide of beef, is also added when preparing Edikaikong soup.
The Cooking:

In a medium sized covered pot, bring all meats (beef, kpomo) but not snails to steam without adding water.
Add beef stock seasoning, 1/4 cup of water and salt, and cook till meat is tender (5 to 15 minutes).
Add waterleaves to meat and beef stock. Stir.
Add the crayfish, stir and let boil until most liquid in the pot evapourates.
Add the snails at this stage so that it will cook just right. Over-cooked snails are leathery, cooked just right, the snails are crunchy and easy to chew.
Add pepper and salt. Stir.
Add the ugu or spinach, stir and allow to boil over (about one minute).
Add the palm oil, stir and let boil for five more minutes.
Turn off heat and serve. Should be able to feed four adults.
Re: How Do I Use Dry Ugu(pumpkin Leaves) by ifyalways(f): 6:02pm On Jan 22, 2011
@Missy B,where is ur reply,spam bot undecided
Re: How Do I Use Dry Ugu(pumpkin Leaves) by MissyB3(f): 6:55pm On Jan 22, 2011
Don't mind the yeye spambot. grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Blenders / Barbecue Catfish Recipes In Foil / Yetkem Catering School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.