Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive (4494 Views)

Missing OAU Student Is Found Alive (Photo) / Bizarre Photo Of Monkey 'Working' At A University In Taiwan Goes Viral / 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Ghozky(m): 11:47pm On Jun 03, 2020
Shoebill (Balaeniceps rex) also known as whalehead, whale-headed stork, or shoe-billed stork, is a very large stork-like bird. It derives its name from its enormous shoe-shaped bill. The adult is mainly grey while the juveniles are browner. It lives in tropical east Africa in large swamps from South Sudan to Zambia.
The shoebill is a tall bird, with a typical height range of 110 to 140 cm (43 to 55 in) and some specimens reaching as much as 152 cm (60 in). Length from tail to beak can range from 100 to 140 cm (39 to 55 in) and wingspan is 230 to 260 cm (7 ft 7 in to 8 ft 6 in). Weight has reportedly ranged from 4 to 7 kg (8.8 to 15.4 lb). A male will weigh on average around 5.6 kg (12 lb) and is larger than a typical female of 4.9 kg (11 lb). The signature feature of the species is its huge, bulbous bill, which is straw-coloured with erratic greyish markings. The exposed culmen (or the measurement along the top of the upper mandible) is 18.8 to 24 cm (7.4 to 9.4 in), the third longest bill among extant birds after pelicans and large storks.

The Shoebill seriously creeps me out, they eat baby crocodiles and fish, but they freaking decapitate their food before swallowing it. They have actually been depicted in Egyptian artwork, so they've been around for a long time. They seem to be one of the closest reminders that birds developed from Dinosaurs!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Oluwasaeon(m): 11:50pm On Jun 03, 2020
No gock am, dem go chop am for Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Ghozky(m): 11:51pm On Jun 03, 2020
Oluwasaeon:

You sure?

1 Like

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Oluwasaeon(m): 11:56pm On Jun 03, 2020
Ghozky:

You sure?
Before nko?
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Kwamecron(m): 12:04am On Jun 04, 2020
If this one enter pot finish Na turkey u go call am

5 Likes

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by FlordFlorez(m): 12:08am On Jun 04, 2020
Mafo! Omo see meat.

1 Like

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by illicit(m): 12:10am On Jun 04, 2020
Oluwasaeon:

dis thing wey resemble Oracle

4 Likes

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by pyyxxaro: 12:18am On Jun 04, 2020
Oluwasaeon:

Naaa the drumstick we go start with self

Then we go barbecue the rest part cool

1 Like

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Kpokakpoka(m): 12:26am On Jun 04, 2020
A weird looking bird i must say...
If i owned one, iwd use it for security...like a dog.., difference is iwd tie red cloth with cowrie to its feet, and glue a Calabash to its head. grin
Dem neva born the thief! angry

I dont doubt those guys above me would really chow this thing, there is hunger in the land.

8 Likes

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by internationalman(m): 12:57am On Jun 04, 2020
When you said animal I thought you meant *****I

Vulture should make that list
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Emilokoiyawon: 2:01am On Jun 04, 2020
Please Mr. and Mrs. Shoebill do not venture into Nigeria. These niggas will hunt you and eat you into extinction.

2 Likes

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by VickyRotex(f): 2:07am On Jun 04, 2020
Shoebill looks cute. They eat baby crocodile embarassed cry cry

I read they're very friendly and calm with humans and the first image seems to depict that.

The poster above me though grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Makz: 3:03am On Jun 04, 2020
Kpokakpoka:
If i owned one, iwd use it for security...like a dog.., difference is iwd tie red cloth with cowrie to its feet, and glue a Calabash to its head. grin

I dont doubt those guys above me would really chow this thing, there is hunger in the land.
grin
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by bukkysam(f): 4:39am On Jun 04, 2020
Jesus still remain the only way to escape fear and he'll.

1 Like

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by MichaelBukamzy(m): 6:07am On Jun 04, 2020
If this one enta oga mannabbq hand eh,he go perform wonders with am.
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by olamidedivotee(f): 7:03am On Jun 04, 2020
If this one mistakenly enter Nigeria, I trust my people, them no go dull am
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by mytime24(f): 7:21am On Jun 04, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:
Please Mr. and Mrs. Shoebill do not venture into Nigeria. These niggas will hunt you and eat you into extinction.
haha, cheesy
And lala wil help in posting it here hw it went down

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by greatbrian(m): 8:04am On Jun 04, 2020
Kwamecron:
If this one enter pot finish Na turkey u go call am

You need jesus grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by rowland545(m): 8:08am On Jun 04, 2020
This oyibo people self...something way suppose don day pot since...instead dem day use camera snap do documentary ....I trust my country shaa...if nah here d only documentary e for get nah for our belle

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by kollinskollins(m): 8:10am On Jun 04, 2020
This one go worse pass turkey if e pursue u
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Shukusheka(m): 8:21am On Jun 04, 2020
Kpokakpoka:

This is not true, it is not about hunger it is a feeling of entitlement we have here in Africa. That as human we are the apex predator and have the ultimate right eat any animal we want plus it is free food. It is a culture thing here.

Even people with abudance of food at home still kill and eat these animals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Dreyton36: 8:31am On Jun 04, 2020
Kpokakpoka:

Bros u never see thief, Nigerian thieves they thief not just for hunger but also for record and fun grin
If person go get mind thief a whole shrine including the babalawo and ship them go abroad wetin remain
Babalawo land for Italy , he shock

1 Like

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by VictorJoshua(m): 8:57am On Jun 04, 2020
FlordFlorez:
Mafo! Omo see meat.

We need to think like biologists in this scenario and not just barbaric humans that are ready to kill anything to satisfy their hunger. Such species should rather be preserved to ensure perpetuation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Ghozky(m): 6:27pm On Jun 04, 2020
VictorJoshua:

We need to think like biologists in this scenario and not just barbaric humans that are ready to kill anything to satisfy their hunger. Such species should rather be preserved to ensure perpetuation.

Well said.

1 Like

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by KingMack(m): 6:33pm On Jun 04, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:

Only the pictures self men for nairaland don dey salivate grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 04, 2020
Thank God it's not in Nigeria. It would've been eaten by now.
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Emilokoiyawon: 7:08pm On Jun 04, 2020
KingMack:

Only the pictures self men for nairaland don dey salivate grin

grin Tell me about it. They way they are looking at that beautiful creature grin
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Elimon(m): 7:25pm On Jun 04, 2020
How can i tell them i have this Animal in my backyard?

Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by KingMack(m): 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2020
Emilokoiyawon:

grin Tell me about it. They way they are looking at that beautiful creature grin

The most beautiful thing is only when it ends in their stomachgrin
Re: The Most Bizarre Animal Still Alive by Ghozky(m): 12:46am On Jun 11, 2020
KingMack:

The most beautiful thing is only when it ends in their stomachgrin
I can't imagine people tryna eat stuff like this angry angry

(1) (Reply)

The Moment NTA Reporters Mistakenly Asked Paul Enenche This... / I Need 2 Know Whn Will Mapoly Post Jamg / How Did You React To Your First "Carry-over" In School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.