Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,404 members, 7,819,434 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising (3533 Views)

Hebrews 7:9, Should A Pastor, General Overseer Pay Tithe And To Who If So? / If You Read This And Still Later Pay Tithe And First-fruit, Then Prove Me Wrong. / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by ogoamaka99(m): 2:23pm On Jan 21, 2011
@garyarnold,
As I said some where I am glad you do read Bible. However I must remind you that the Bible is a Spiritual book and not an ordinary literature book. It therefore takes the presence of the Holy Spirit to understand the content thereof. That is why the Bible said in 2 Cor. 3: 6, “Who hath made us able ministers of the new testament, not of the letter but of the Spirit: for the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.”

Coming to the topic of our discuss- TITHE, I wish to remark that your major problem is that you already have a mind set on the issue of tithe. You thought you know all about tithe while as you are totally wrong in your approach and interpretation thereby distorting the truth about tithe. I wish that you open your mind to new ideas, knowledge on the subject of tithe and tithing 

The first issue is to look at the meaning of tithe. From what you said in my thread “basic truth you need to know about tithe and tithing” you defined tithe based on Leviticus 30 as if tithe started in Leviticus. My dear, tithe did not start in Leviticus but in Genesis. Tithing was in operation in Genesis before the law came into force in Exodus. That is our covenant fathers (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob) operated tithe in Genesis before the law came into existence (see Genesis 14 vs. 20 and Genesis 28 vs. 22. In Genesis our covenant father Jacob defined what tithe is (meaning of tithe) for us which SHOULD SERVE AS THE BASIS OF ANY TRUE DEFINITION OF TITHE “All that thou shall give me I will SURELY give one tenth (tithe) unto thee”.

The issue of tithe was in operation in Genesis while as in Exodus the law came into force. In Leviticus 30 your reference scripture the children of Israel was defaulting in their covenant obligation of tithe, vows and offering. They were not paying correct tithe they should be paying and that is why GOD has to remind them what their tithe should be. Please read the entire chapter of Leviticus 30. The same thing still happens today as some people still pretend as they don’t know how to determine their tithe. For avoidance of doubt, Genesis 28 vs. 22 is the authentic and true definition of tithe, “ALL THAT YOU SHALL GIVE ME I WILL SURELY GIVE ONE TENTH (TITHE) TO YOU”.
Another issue that needs more emphasis is who tithe should be directed to? Still Genesis 28 vs. 22 gives us the answer, “All that you shall give me I will surely one tenth (tithe) UNTO THEE.” That is tithe should be directed to GOD not to man, priest, Levites, Prophets or any MOG. However, Priests (MOG) by reason of their service are to collect the tithe from the hand of the people of GOD.

The next issue that needs to be emphasized is WHO SHOULD PAY TITHE? As I said earlier, Tithe is a covenant obligation by covenant people. Many people are paying tithe without having a covenant relationship with GOD as a result, they are not getting the required covenant benefits that goes with tithe. YOU MUST ENTER INTO COVENANT WITH GOD BEFORE YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO PAY TITHE.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by garyarnold(m): 6:33pm On Jan 21, 2011
First, because I have an open mind, I have come to my understanding of the tithe. Three years ago I would not have debated this topic.

Three years ago this month my pastor asked me to teach a Sunday School Class in Finances. Before actual preparation for my class, I thought I'd better do some real in-depth prayer and study. I quickly found that everything I had been taught regarding the tithe was wrong. I went back to my pastor and told him what I had come up with. He said he didn't think I was correct, but he would do his own research. A few weeks later he STOPPED teaching tithing and told me I was correct. This pastor has taught tithing for twenty years.

Weeks later another pastor I knew agreed to meet with me. He also said he thought I was wrong. He had always been taught to tithe, and he had always taught tithing to his congregation. But he too agreed to do his own research. Next time I visited his church, he also had STOPPED teaching tithing.

A few weeks later another pastor I knew agreed to meet with me. He immediately told me he knew I was correct, BUT that he HAD TO TEACH TITHING BECAUSE PEOPLE JUST DON'T WANT TO GIVE. So he KNOWS HE IS A LIAR.

There are pastors and Bible Study instructors from many parts of the world that have emailed me to tell me they are using my material to teach from, or that they have totally changed their teaching because of what they have learned from me. Somewhere around 1,600 or so people have downloaded my book. NO ONE has sent an email to me disputing anything in my book.

I have spend, literally THOUSANDS OF HOURS studying the topic of tithing and giving. I have prayed, and God has spoken to me several times, showing me where to find the answers in the scripture, PLUS explaining it to me by way of The Spirit.

I am now aware of MANY pastors who admit, in private, that tithing is NOT for Christians, but say they must teach it in order to bring in more money.

The truth is getting out. Later this year, a book written against tithing will be available in Baptist Churches all over the world. It was written by several Baptist theologians.

Not all denominations even teach tithing. Many Baptist pastors (for just one example) don't teach tithing. It seems to be up to each pastor, but when money is involved, Satan is there with temptation.

The way tithing is taught in many churches today started in the US around 1870, and because of satellite tv, has spread all over the world.

The first time tithe is mentioned in the Bible is Abraham's tithe of pagan spoils of war, and Abraham kept NOTHING for himself. This was NOT an act of worship. The goods that Abraham gave the tenth from didn’t even belong to Abraham:

Genesis 14:21 (NIV) - The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself.”

Notice in verse 21 the king of Sodom didn’t ask Abraham if he would give back to him the people, but rather said GIVE ME the people and keep the goods for yourself. The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him and those he represented.

Genesis 14:22-24 (NIV) - 22But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath 23that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’ 24I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share.”

Notice in verses 23 and 24 Abraham also acknowledges that the goods belonged to the king of Sodom and those he represented.

Therefore, it is clear that both the king of Sodom and Abraham acknowledged that the spoils of war did NOT belong to Abraham, yet he gave a tenth of the spoils to King Melchizedek. This would seem that Abraham did something wrong, if not even illegal, but Biblical historians agree that it was custom in Abraham's day to give the king a tenth of the war spoils. Had Abraham not given the tenth, he would have gone against custom.

Conclusion: Abraham did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth. Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him. That is NOT an example for Christians to follow today. Furthermore, the law did NOT require a tenth of war spoils to be given, but rather 1.1%, so to say that tithing was before the law and then in the law is not true. What Abraham did was NOT codified into the later law.

The next mention of a tithe is Jacob's VOW to tithe. Jacob set the conditions, not God. Nowhere in The Word does it tell us that Jacob actually tithed. Genesis 28:10-22

NO ONE is following Abraham's example of tithing. There is only ONE example of Abraham ever tithing, and that ONE example is on war spoils that didn't even belong to him, and he kept nothing for himself. To ASSUME that Abraham was a regular tither is to draw a conclusion on an assumption NOT backed up with scripture.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 21, 2011
The next issue that needs to be emphasized is WHO SHOULD PAY TITHE? As I said earlier, Tithe is a covenant obligation by covenant people. Many people are paying tithe without having a covenant relationship with GOD as a result, they are not getting the required covenant benefits that goes with tithe. YOU MUST ENTER INTO COVENANT WITH GOD BEFORE YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO PAY TITHE.

I suppose an atheist like bill gates has a acovenet with God,that's why he is getting too much benefit 4rm him
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 7:47pm On Jan 21, 2011
ogoamaka99:

However, Priests (MOG) by reason of their service are to collect the tithe from the hand of the people of GOD.

Your MOG is no priest (going by the function of the levitical high priest), so he is not eligible to collect the tithe. Besides he is not even a levite.

ogoamaka99:

As I said earlier, Tithe is a covenant obligation by covenant people.

One you locked yourself into when you personally prepared the tithing agreement, signed and gave to God.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by ogoamaka99(m): 9:42pm On Jan 21, 2011
The basis of our discuss is not what the Baptist theologians or what any body believes but what the Bible is saying.We are free to believe anything, however, our believe or not believing on an issue does not make it or determine what is correct or wrong. Let GOD be true and all men lairs.The Bible is our standard and the truth of the Bible is our standard and the basis of our faith.
Covenant people who KNOW their GOD are faithfully paying their tithe and are equally enjoying the blessing that goes with it. Others are mocking it and are paying dearly for it because the devourer are at work . Only fools doubts proof.Those who are faithful in their tithe obligation have proof to show for their obedience.
Moreover, that you are not paying tithe has it any effect on the kingdom? No! no! no!. Your paying tithe or not paying does not benefit any body but yourself. Having said that do stop distorting the truth about tithe simply because your baptist church does not believe on it or that you don't believe on it.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by garyarnold(m): 10:01pm On Jan 21, 2011
I don't attend a Baptist church. I just gave that as an example.

You seem to be injecting Malachi into your arguments - getting blessed for tithing and cursed if you don't.

You are trying to BUY God's favor.

Jesus already paid the price IN FULL. God will bless who He wants, when He wants, and forever reason He wants.

There are so many examples of lifetime tithers that have nothing but financial problems. I don't tithe, but have been blessed financially beyond my wildest dreams and in many other ways. But I am a generous giver.

You aren't following Abraham's example of giving a tenth of war spoils and keeping nothing for yourself. You aren't following any of the three tithes commanded by God. But you ARE following what man came up with around 1870.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by yommyuk: 3:58am On Jan 22, 2011
Christian giving or tithing should not be the following;

1. Used as a way of raising church funds
2. Using psychological manupulative means of extracting funds for church members
3. Tithes card holders for social approval
4. Quoting scriptures as a means of intimidating people to tithe.
5 Should not be taken under compulsion
6. Mandated percentages

The purpose of giving should be to glorify God for his provision. God is glorified only when His all-glorious character is being expressed within
His creation.

Should we expect a return for our giving? why not!

Matthew 6:4 promises us that when we give to the Lord in private, the Father who sees everything will rewards us. How?

The "return" on our giving would be the fullness of blessing we have in Jesus Christ, and the joy of being vessels through whom
God is working and fulfilling His intent.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by ogoamaka99(m): 10:47am On Jan 22, 2011
yommyuk:

Christian giving or tithing should not be the following;

1. Used as a way of raising church funds
2. Using psychological manupulative means of extracting funds for church members
3. Tithes card holders for social approval
4. Quoting scriptures as a means of intimidating people to tithe.
5 Should not be taken under compulsion
6. Mandated percentages

The purpose of giving should be to glorify God for his provision. God is glorified only when His all-glorious character is being expressed within
His creation.

Should we expect a return for our giving? why not!

Matthew 6:4 promises us that when we give to the Lord in private, the Father who sees everything will rewards us. How?

The "return" on our giving would be the  fullness of blessing we have in Jesus Christ, and the joy of being vessels through whom
God is working and fulfilling His intent.

When the use of a thing is not known abuse is inevitable .Tithe in the mind of GOD is never an avenue to raise church fund but to express our gratitude and appreciation to GOD for giving us the resources. That ignorant MOG has turned it into fund raising avenue is unfortunate.But that does not change the meaning and idea of tithing. Moreover, in tithing what matters most is the heart with which you give not as a legalistic approach which many churches has turn tithe into. Churches and MOG who has correct knowledge about tithe took time to teach their members never coerce or cajole their members to pay tithe yet millions are realized every Sunday.
garyarnold:

I don't attend a Baptist church.  I just gave that as an example.

You seem to be injecting Malachi into your arguments - getting blessed for tithing and cursed if you don't.

You are trying to BUY God's favor.

Jesus already paid the price IN FULL.  God will bless who He wants, when He wants, and forever reason He wants.

There are so many examples of lifetime tithers that have nothing but financial problems.  I don't tithe, but have been blessed financially beyond my wildest dreams and in many other ways.  But I am a generous giver.

You aren't following Abraham's example of giving a tenth of war spoils and keeping nothing for yourself.  You aren't following any of the three tithes commanded by God.  But you ARE following what man came up with around 1870.
    As i pointed earlier the Bible is our standard and the book of Malachi is in the Bible. So if GOD said something in Malachi it is settled and must be used whether you believe it or not. If GOD said do this, we must do it or otherwise it is a disobedience before GOD.  
    Yes there are many tithers that are in financial mess.Tithe is never a means of bribing GOD AND MUST BE GIVEN IN RIGHTEOUSNESS.Moreover some think they are tithing by giving any amount. Tithe is not any amount but 10% of your income. Anything less renders tithe invalid and unacceptable before GOD. Those you gave as example of people who tithe and are in financial mess should ask themselves whether they are paying their tithe CORRECTLY and with their heart not to register their name in tithe register which many churches maintain or to please their pastors.
     You don't pay tithe and feel you are blessed.What about atheists who are wealthy? Remember in the Bible, Cain and Abel all offered offering to GOD but one was accepted and the other was not. The Bible IS STILL THE FINAL STANDARD ON ISSUE CONCERNING TITHE not what we think or anybody else. All am saying is that your not believing in tithe or paying tithe does not make tithe wrong. So stop distorting the truth about TITHE.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by garyarnold(m): 6:11pm On Jan 22, 2011
If GOD said do this, we must do it or otherwise it is a disobedience before GOD.

And God told you to take His tithe to the Levites. Otherwise, you are disobedient before God.

And God told you His tithe was a tenth of crops and animals. To change what God say is being disobedient.

And God said to kill disobedient children. You must do it or otherwise you are being disobedient before God.

God said many things to many different people. God never told Christians to tithe.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Joagbaje(m): 7:14pm On Jan 22, 2011
Abraham didn't pay to levite ,Abrahams tithe was not on animals and crops only

We are not paying tithe because law say so. We are not under the law.Tithing is based on faith revelation which receded the law
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by garyarnold(m): 7:58pm On Jan 22, 2011
Abraham didn't pay to levite ,Abrahams tithe was not on animals and crops only

We are not paying tithe because law say so. We are not under the law.Tithing is based on faith revelation which receded the law

You are confusing tithing with giving.

Abraham gave a tenth of war spoils and kept nothing for himself. A one-time recorded event. Anyone here follow Abraham's example?

No one pays the Biblical tithe today - crops and animals raised on the Holy land.

Those who wish to give a tenth of their income should do so, but don't confuse that with the Biblical tithe. That would be comparing apples to oranges.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 22, 2011
^^^ You have said it all.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Demainman1: 12:06am On Jan 23, 2011
Modern day tithers are fools. Tithe collectors are thieves aka rogues aka 419s = conmen pastors. Hell fire awaits them.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by ogoamaka99(m): 7:20am On Jan 26, 2011
Demain_man:

Modern day tithers are fools. Tithe collectors are thieves aka rogues aka 419s = conmen pastors. Hell fire awaits them.
My dear, what actually are the basis for your comment? Your comment should be with facts not just say something for saying sake otherwise keep your mouth shot if you don't understand what is been discussed.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Demainman1: 10:46am On Jan 26, 2011
What fact do u want? What has the likes of Kunle and Gary not told you that you what to hear again from me? Keep deceiving urself that God will bless you by offering him bribe. Let me tell you the good Lord will bless whoever he wants to bless tithe or no tithe.

You gullible people are just contributing money so your pastors can live large at your expense. You are too blind and unwise to see it that is your problem. If you expect further proof from me you are not serious. Go read your bible and pray that my God will open your eyes to all the proofs it contain. If not, na you sabi.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by daokworld(m): 11:49am On Jan 26, 2011
First and foremost I must appreciate you guys for doing a nice job. See until we pay our tithe we will never be blessed.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by KunleOshob(m): 12:33pm On Jan 26, 2011
^^^
It is you that would never be blessed for not falling for a scam, the good lord is blessing the rest of us abundantly even though we don't tithe and we speak against the fraudulent teaching of it.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Snowwy: 12:48pm On Jan 26, 2011
grin For all those calling Christian's fools, I think you should mind Christ's words in Matt. 5:22.
Also note that that wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. That is the reason why so many of you just do not understand.
Your rationalising divine things will never enlighten you as Proverbs 11:24-25 says:

'24 One person gives freely, yet gains even more;
   another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

25 A generous person will prosper;
   whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.'

'24 There is one who scatters, yet increases more;
      And there is one who withholds more than is right,
      But it leads to poverty. '

If you think giving your tithes and offerings is giving to your Pastor to make him wealthy then it shows how warped your thinking is.
Keep talking, it will get you nowhere as your approaches are just so wrong.

@Kunle Oshob (the self-acclaimed tithe-fighter),
focus and fulfill your purpose in life. This your 'ministry' is not edifying in any way and I know that deep in your heart you know it. Than spewing all this on Nairaland, try and meet this MOGs one-on-one and tell them the way you feel. As i tell you, you are talking based on feelings and nothing more.
You have come to 'idolise' these men to the extent that you must mention them in a large number of your post.
Try and get a life as this bitterness will do you only harm.
Peace.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by KunleOshob(m): 2:04pm On Jan 26, 2011
@snowwy
My position on tithes is based on sound untwisted biblical facts, try justing your position on tithes without twisting scriptures and adjusting it to suit the greedy desires of the promoters of these mordern day version of tithing which is different from the biblical one that was not even directed to christians. I reteriate that the mordern day tithes being preached today is a monumental fraud and is NOT the will of God for christians as it was arrived at by twisting and adding to God's word.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by ogoamaka99(m): 9:00am On Jan 27, 2011
@ garyarnold,

Your problem hinges on your limited understanding of the mystery of tithing. You, some how behave like Apollos in the Bible as recorded in Acts 18 vs. 24-28. Apollos was sincere and fervent in his teaching of the word of GOD, THOUGH he knew only the baptism of John. But thank GOD for Aquila and Priscilla who took him aside and guided him or explained to him the way of the GOD more accurately.

You may be sincere in all you are saying based on your limited understanding of the mystery of tithing. I assure you that if you are sincere and open more to GOD, your limited understanding concerning tithing will be enlarged.

As I pointed out earlier, the Bible and what it says is our authority and standard on any spiritual matters and that should form the bed rock of our argument. Moreover, the standing point to understanding tithing is to understand tithe in its true meaning. And Genesis 28 vs. 20 - 22 and Genesis 14 vs. 18-20 are our anchor scripture and authentic definition and meaning of tithe. I wonder why you are afraid of the truth. If not why are you avoiding Genesis 28 vs. 20-22 in your argument? Please kindly explain Genesis 28 vs. 20- 22 for us.

You talked much about Abraham and the tithe he paid In Genesis 14 vs. 14-20. Understanding Genesis 14 vs. 18 to 20 will confirm Genesis 28 vs. 20 to 22. Abraham paid tithe of ALL. What constitute the war spoil that Abraham paid tithe from? Definitely it is not cattle or farm crops alone as they don’t carry such to battle. We are told Abraham paid tithe of ALL.What does it means to pay tithe of all? It means Abraham paid tithe from the totality of what he realized from war spoils. “All you shall give me I will surely give the tenth or tithe to you.”

Tithe started with our covenant fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. So what they said concerning tithe should guide us in understanding the truth about tithe. You can never say any thing meaningful without reference to the truth on GENESIS 28 VS. 20 TO 22.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by ogoamaka99(m): 9:19am On Jan 27, 2011
KunleOshob:

@snowwy
My position on tithes is based on sound untwisted biblical facts, try justing your position on tithes without twisting scriptures and adjusting it to suit the greedy desires of the promoters of these mordern day version of tithing which is different from the biblical one that was not even directed to christians. I reteriate that the mordern day tithes being preached today is a monumental fraud and is NOT the will of God for christians as it was arrived at by twisting and adding to God's word.
@kunle, What Biblical verses support what you are saying?. The BIBLE still remain the final authority as far as the issue of tithing is concerned. You don't know the meaning of tithe and that is why you are confused and go about confusing others. As i told garyanorld, you don't have adequate understanding on the issue of tithing even though they call you tithe master. That you don't believe tithing does not make tithe not scriptural. That some modern day MOG without adequate understanding are abusing tithing DOES NOT IN ANY WAY REVERSE THE TRUTH ABOUT TITHE.
You said that tithe is not directed to Christians. Who is it directed to ? Tithing started before the nation of Israel was formed. So tell me from the Bible not what you think or any person thinks.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Joagbaje(m): 9:44am On Jan 27, 2011
Demain_man:

Modern day tithers are fools.

If you call those who gave 10% fools , what do you call those who gave all to God?
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by KunleOshob(m): 10:25am On Jan 27, 2011
@ogoamaka
Seems you still have a lot to learn about tithes. There is NO indication in the bible that abraham's tithe had religious connotations as he gave the tithe to melchizedek who was the King of Salem. It was customary in those days to give a tenth of war booty to their kings. For your information Abraham was from the land of Ur in babylonian/ mesopotamian area, there civilization there preceeds the Jewish civilization and tithing [to rulers] was part of their custom it was on this basis Abraham tithed and NOT on religious basis. If you are in doubt just google "babylonian tithe" or "mesopotamian tithe" and you would learn that tithing is an old pagan custom practised by the mesopotamians [where the patriach of Israel Abraham originated from]
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Snowwy: 11:00am On Jan 27, 2011
KunleOshob:

@snowwy

@KunleOshob ,
All I can say is that neither you nor any of your anti-tithe crew has given me a scripture that proves that tithe is unbiblical, abolished or done away with.

Your favourite Hebrews 7 argument talks about the law changed regarding who is authorised to be a priest and nothing more.

Therefore, I will say your claims are baseless.

If in the new testament, Jesus said it in Matthew 23:23 and Paul confirmed that tithe was received by a priest made not according to a carnal law (Hebres 7:7-8, 16, 28), I think you should therefore understand that there is nothing wrong with paying tithe.
I think I am done here.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by KunleOshob(m): 11:25am On Jan 27, 2011
@snowwy
If you read hebrews 7 well in verse 5 it stated thus "commandment to tithe under the law"[KJV] it is this same commandment that was described as carnal in verse 16 and weak, useless an unprofitable in verse 18. I suggest your read that whole passage in context without any biase and it would be clear that the only commandment spokern about throughout that passage and was condemned was the one to tithe. As far as matthew 23:23 is concerned Jesus was talking to pharisees who were under the law and thereby obligded to tithe and NOT christians who are not subject to the law. Even then the tithe being referred to their was that of agricultural produce and not the fraudulently twisted money version we have today.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Demainman1: 11:26am On Jan 27, 2011
Joagbaje:

If you call those who gave 10% fools , what do you call those who gave all to God?

Pastor, I was talking about the 10% hourly/daily/weekly/monthly contributions you normally threaten your church members to contribute to you in the name of tithe and not 'freewill' giving please.

God loves a cheerful giver and not he who have been brainwashed to give grudgingly like you guys do. I only give what i can afford and I do appreciate any blessings that come my way from my heavenly father. My whole life is a miracle so I don't need any special prosperity miracle based on any 10%. Afterall unbelievers also prosper as well. What is the big deal

I pray for good health and good home and good friends around me and by His Grace I have them and more and i am happy.

I have often prayed for a good Nigeria that my kids can be proud of (by the way they are not overly enthusiastic about that country for now) no thanks to all the terrible leadership. I just hope that God will answer that my prayer because there is no way I can beat my chest as having arrived (naija prosperity crusders) when all I see around me are suffering !!!!!

I give to God. I don't tithe. I leave that to the levites.

Read Matthew 6:33

And please don't refer me to those your old testament teachings because that is what you guys do when it suits your pockets and when it doesn't you quickly remind your flock that the laws have been done away with
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Snowwy: 12:09pm On Jan 27, 2011
@KunleOshob ,
I have read the whole passage in context and still cannot see where it was abolished. I only see the mention of tithe there as an analogy to explain the priesthood of Melchizedek and Christ as agaisnt that of the Levites. I think you are the one taking this out of context.

As per the law you said, there are a lot of laws that was given to the people then which are still in effect today so please I need you to know that Christ took the curse of the law on Himself, but you keep coming up like we should not follow God's laws at all.

The difference between the law then and now is that the people obeyed out of fear/duty but we obey the law of God out of love. 1 John 2:4, 1 John 3:4, Romans 8:2-4, Romans 7:7

Romans 7:22-25 (New International Version)

22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[a] a slave to the law of sin.

We are not condemned by the law because we are under grace as the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:4

Also, if you say that Jesus was talking to the Pharisees then, are you invalidating the meaning of His words? Do you think Jesus said this just for the fun of it?
The Pharisees were hypocrites who were more concerned with ceremonial show of good works, so anyone that is a hypocrite today is just like a pharisee.Are you saying that the weightier matters of justice, mercy and faithfulness do not apply to us too?
Why did He add that tithe should not be neglected?

When Jesus was saying unless a man is born again to the Pharisee in John 3:1-3, are you saying He also was not referring to us? lipsrsealed
I think you should stop confusing yourself, all in your bid to discredit tithe
. cheesy

The people laid their 100% at the feet of the Apostles and even Ananias and Saphira died due to their error of lying against the Holy Spirit. That seemed like a hard punishment for someone who was giving isn't it? They were not under the law where they?

Since you are following only the apostles, have you given 100% of all your earthly goods to the poor (since you are their advocate).
Why bicker all because someone tithes?
Do you know that even though I tithe, it does not invalidate my having to help the poor and orphans (who will always be with us), give offerings, care for family and all with a joyful heart and in faith by God's grace?
If you are truly a giver, you will not have issues with someone paying tithe. That is the simple truth.

Anyway, I can see how you are straining at a gnat.
If you have issues with the way tithe is preached, then you can start another thread but saying tithe is unbiblical is so wrong.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by KunleOshob(m): 5:48pm On Jan 27, 2011
@snowwy
You claim you tithe based on scripture, can you please enlighten us us on which of the various type of biblical tithes you practise with biblical scriptures [untwisted] to support the act as I am not aware of any "christian" today that even tithes based on the now confirmed irrelevant old testament injunction to tithe to the israelites.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by garyarnold(m): 6:01pm On Jan 27, 2011
The first time tithe is mentioned in the Bible is Abraham's tithe of pagan spoils of war, and Abraham kept NOTHING for himself. This was NOT an act of worship. The goods that Abraham gave the tenth from didn’t even belong to Abraham:

Genesis 14:21 (NIV) - The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself.”

Notice in verse 21 the king of Sodom didn’t ask Abraham if he would give back to him the people, but rather said GIVE ME the people and keep the goods for yourself. The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him and those he represented.

Genesis 14:22-24 (NIV) - 22But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath 23that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’ 24I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share.”

Notice in verses 23 and 24 Abraham also acknowledges that the goods belonged to the king of Sodom and those he represented.

Therefore, it is clear that both the king of Sodom and Abraham acknowledged that the spoils of war did NOT belong to Abraham, yet he gave a tenth of the spoils to King Melchizedek. This would seem that Abraham did something wrong, if not even illegal, but Biblical historians agree that it was custom in Abraham's day to give the king a tenth of the war spoils. Had Abraham not given the tenth, he would have gone against custom.

Conclusion: Abraham did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth. Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him. That is NOT an example for Christians to follow today. Furthermore, the law did NOT require a tenth of war spoils to be given, but rather 1.1%, so to say that tithing was before the law and then in the law is not true. What Abraham did was NOT codified into the later law.

The next mention of a tithe is Jacob's VOW to tithe. Jacob set the conditions, not God. Nowhere in The Word does it tell us that Jacob actually tithed. Genesis 28:10-22

Next is The Lord's Tithe. God gave His definition as a tenth of crops and animals which came from God's hand, not man's income. God NEVER commanded anyone to tithe on anything that man made or earned. Leviticus 27:30-33.

The ordinances (instructions, or laws) for The Lord's Tithe are in Numbers 18. God gave strict orders to take His tithe to the Levites. God NEVER changed that command. Anyone who takes God's tithe to anyone other than the Levites is being disobedient to God's Word.

There are other tithes in the Bible such as the Festival Tithe and the Tithe for the Poor. It is The Lord's Tithe that churches pattern their teaching after.

Church leaders ignore God's definition of His tithe, and ignore God's ordinances for His tithe. They change the words to fit their pocketbook. This is nothing but manipulation of God's Word. They are false teachers.

The Bible CLEARLY SHOWS that the tithe ENDED at the cross in the Book of Hebrews. In the first nine verses of Hebrews 7 the words tenth or tithes appears SEVEN TIMES. The ONLY place in the Bible, after Calvary, that tithing appears is in Hebrews 7.

In Hebrews 7:5 we are told that Levi (the Levites) took the tithes under the law. In Hebrews 7:12 we are told that when the priesthood changes, the law will change. Hebrews 7:18 is telling us that Numbers 18 was disannulled. Numbers 18 established the Levitical priesthood, and part of that establishing included tithing. When the Levitical priesthood ended (at Calvary, or at least in the year 70AD when the temple was destroyed), all laws that established that priesthood were canceled. If Numbers 18 wasn't canceled, we would still be under the Levitical priesthood.

Those who argue they didn't have money or income then really need to study the scriptures. They had money and wages, even in Genesis. The farmers had income from barter exchanges, and they had markets to buy and sell as proven in Deuteronomy 14:24-26.

Those who argue Malachi 3:8, robbing God, need to start with verse 7. God is talking about His ordinances in Numbers 18 which we learned were disannulled according to Hebrews 7:18. Also, if you start with Malachi 1, you will see that God is speaking to the priests, not the people. The priests robbed God of the tithe (Nehemiah 13) and the priests robbed God of the offerings (Malachi 1).
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by garyarnold(m): 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2011
Matthew 5:17-18 states Christ came to fulfill the law and not abolish it.

This is where some education in law is useful. What does fulfill mean? What does abolish mean?

Let me give an example. A legal contract is enforceable under the law. Let’s say you hire a contractor to build a swimming pool in your back yard. Once the contractor has completed the job, and everything in that contract has been completed, the contract has been fulfilled. The contractor’s job is to fulfill the contract, not abolish it. He fulfills it by completing the terms, bringing it to an end.

Consider:

Hebrews 8:13 (KJV) - In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Colossians 2:14 (KJV) - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Galatians 5:18 (KJV) - But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Galatians 3:19 (KJV) - Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. In other words, until Jesus came and fulfilled the law.

Galatians 3:23-25 (KJV)
23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Galatians 3:10-14 (KJV)
10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by garyarnold(m): 6:12pm On Jan 27, 2011
Facts:

The scriptures give only ONE example of Abram giving a tenth, and that tenth was of war spoils, NOT from Abram's regular income or wealth. Abram kept NOTHING for himself. There is no example of Abraham giving a tenth on a regular basis. No other example. Does anyone on this blog follow Abram's example? Tithing to a church on a regular basis is not following Abraham's example.

Jacob made a vow to give a tenth, but ONLY IF God would bless him first. Jacob set the conditions, not God. There is no scripture to show that Jacob ever kept his vow. Does anyone on this blog follow Jacob's example and put conditions on God before you will tithe, make the vow to God, but then maybe never in fact ever give the tenth?

No one is using Abram's example. Rather, you are making assumptions and then using those assumptions for your example.

No one is using Jacob's example. Rather, you are making assumptions and then using those assumptions for your example.

Isn't it odd that even though Abram gave a tenth directly to Melchizedek, the king/priest, that some Christians think they can give directly to God by giving it to their pastor?

I find it quite offensive that pastors have appointed themselves to be the receiver of what belongs to God. After all, the pastor says the tithe belongs to God. Then he self-appoints himself to receive the tithe!!!

God never gave any pastor or church permission to receive his tithe or his gifts. God commanded His tithe be taken to the Levites, FOREVER, in Numbers 18.

Since the tithe belongs to God, if your pastor accepts it isn't he stealing it from God?

Lucky for those of you who think you tithe, you are merely giving a tenth of your income to your church. You aren't paying the Biblical tithe or you would be disobeying God's command to take His tithe to the Levites. But then, if in your heart you are paying the Biblical tithe, then I guess you are sinning by breaking God's commands.
Re: Tithe And Tithing- Matters Arising by Snowwy: 8:03pm On Jan 27, 2011
@KunleOshob,
You have tactfully dodged response to my last post. Stop jumping around like a grasshopper. grin
Maybe when you answer my questions and quit dodging the facts I have presented, I will be obliged to answer you.
But as is typical of your nature, since you have no answers to my questions, you deviate to another area.
cheesy I know you.  grin
Answer me first then lets see where it leads from there. Kapish?!

@garyarnold, The Money and Finance Minister,
I bet you do not give offerings too in church as the offerings are also meant to be for God. If then you give offerings, does that mean you are sinning, since it is not to the Levites too?
In instances in the new testament, Jesus told the rich to sell their goods and give to the poor. The early Christians sold their property and brought it to the feet of the Apostles. A wrong heart led to the death of Ananias and Saphira and you come here and are foaming because of tithe.
Have you done a quarter of what the early Christians did?
Look, all this your literature on tithing will get you nowhere.
Keep all your money to yourself since that makes you happy as its people like you that will grumble/murmur when it comes to parting with anything that belongs to you. We give and do it cheerfully ok. I wonder why you feel so pained.
Give rest to your soul brother.
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jesus Did Not Die To Forgive You Of Your Sins / Meet Children Of Redeemed Church Founder Pa Akindayomi,celebrate Their Father / Opium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.