Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos (1423 Views)

The Agege-pen Cinema Bridge/flyover In Lagos Is Ready (pics, Video) / Who Said Lagos Is Not Beautiful? (Pictures) / 6 Things About Lagos That People From Other Cities Exaggerate About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 2:20pm On Jun 06, 2020
When you talk about developed cities in Africa, you talk about the economy of the city, skylines of the city, bridges in the city, transportation infrastructure of the city, ICT infrastructure of the City, how industrialized the city is and other big things of the city. With the below 15 facts about Lagos, it is easy to conclude that Lagos competes and it's in the league of developed cities such as Johannesburg, Cairo and Nairobi in Africa . Johannesburg is the regional powerhouse and the most developed city in Southern Africa. Cape Town in South Africa still holds the title of the most beautiful city in the region though. Cairo is the regional powerhouse and the most developed city in North Africa. Algiers in Algeria still holds the title of the most beautiful city in the region. Nairobi is the regional powerhouse and the most developed city in East Africa. It's also the most beautiful city in the region. Lagos which is in the same league with them is also a regional powerhouse and the most developed city in West Africa. Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria is still the most beautiful city in the region.

Below are 15 striking facts about Lagos that you need to know:

1. Lagos is the largest city in Africa with a population of approximately 20 million people. It's Africa's largest mega city.

2. Lagos is the richest city (in terms of GDP) in Africa with a GDP of $157,728. If it were to be a country, it would be the 5th richest country in Africa.

3. Lagos has the highest number of tech hubs on the continent with over 40 tech hubs making it the top most innovative city in Africa. According to GSMA Ecosystem Statistics, Nigeria has a total of 85 tech hubs, the highest on the continent and approximately 40 of the hubs are in Lagos.

4. Lagos has the largest interchange bus terminal (Oshodi Interchange) in Africa. The Interchange was built from scratch by an indigenous black Nigerian company called Planet Project Limited.

5. Lagos has the biggest ICT accessory market called Computer Village in Africa. It is located in Ikeja, Lagos and it's a wonder on it's own where things pertaining to computer and phones rock.

6. Lagos has the most expensive artificial island called Banana Island in Africa. Nigerian rich men like Dangote, Adenuga and so on live there.

7. Lagos has the biggest and the best entertainment and fashion industry in Africa. Big parties, big weddings, big events and big celebrations happen in Lagos.

8. Lagos has over 40 bridges with 6 them running over water. This would probably make the city to have the highest number of bridges in Africa. This contributes hugely to the transportation infrastructure of the city. You find this huge number of bridges in mega cities of the world.

9. Lagos has the second longest bridge in Africa. The bridge called Third mainland bridge has a total length of 11.8km running over the Lagoon. It is indeed a huge infrastructure costing a huge amount of money. It used to be the longest in Africa until 1996 when October 6 Bridge was commissioned in Egypt.

10. Lagos has a street called Ajose Adeogun Street, Victoria Island in Lagos which is usually heavily and skillfully decorated during Christmas period every year and would probably be the most decorated street in Africa. The powerful and breath-taking decoration unleashed on that street is second to none on the continent.

11. Lagos is a commercial city and an economic hub in Africa with many industries and headquarters of big companies like Dangote Groups, Globacom, Interswitch, Flutterwave, Paystack, GTB etc. Please note that these companies are indigenous black multinational companies owned by Nigerians.

12. Lagos is a home to many beautiful places like Ikoyi, Lekki, Victoria Island, Banana Island, Eko Atlantic (Under Construction), VGC, Festac Town, Osapa London etc. Please note that Victoria Island, Banana Island and Eko Atlantic City are artificial Island built on water by Nigerians.

13. Lagos has many amazing tourist attractions like Lekki Conservation Center, Nike Art Gallery, Tarkwa Bay Beach, Epe Resort & Spa, Hi-Impact Planet Amusement Park etc.

14. Lagos has many Skyscrapers with beautiful skylines. It's a home to one of the tallest buildings in Africa called NECOM house building which is 160 meters tall.

15. Lagos has one of the biggest and busiest sea port on the continent.

16. The biggest refinery in Africa and one of the biggest in the world is currently under construction in Lagos. There are many other capital intensive projects ongoing in Lagos like the Eko Atlantic City project, Orange Island Projects, Gracefield Island Project, Lagos Metro Project and so on.

Lagos is indeed a very developed city. It never sleeps. It's always lit. It's a city with life. There is nothing like "Welcome to Lagos". It is "This is Lagos". It's a hustling and bustling city. It's a city where you need to be Smart, Sharp & Sound. It's a no dulling and no nonsense city. It's a special city. You can't understand the city. It's a world on it's own.
It's the happiest and the most exciting city in the world. God bless Lagos. God bless Nigeria. God bless Africa.

Source: https://www.rhitten.com/rhites/lagos-is-developed:-16-facts-about-lagos-8a032df13b4g2

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Abfinest007(m): 2:38pm On Jun 06, 2020
let me not say anything before they will tag me as bad belle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 2:50pm On Jun 06, 2020
Abfinest007:
let me not say anything before they will tag me as bad belle

Lol... facts don't lie anyways. Nice one
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jun 06, 2020
Everyone is trying to hustle in this period. No one is interested your ill timed post. Lagos is developed. Is that suppose to inspire. Please deactivate your profile. It is obvious that you are a wicked and insensitive person.
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by ednut1(m): 5:36pm On Jun 06, 2020
Most expensive slum in the world

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by manitoba(m): 6:11pm On Jun 06, 2020
If you have never travelled out of Nigeria, Lagos can be a big deal to you.

Most of the Africans cities are still far off.

Lagos should have done well but we are too corrupt.

A city with poor power infrastructures (you need to see Lagos from an Airplane at night), no portable water in most homes slums every where to mention but a few is nothing to boast about.

Maybe Atlantic City will change the narratives but Banana Island, Parkview and other rich neighbourhoods of Ikoyi are yet to do so.

How do I know?

These are my play yards. Lol

I believe one day, we will start building great cities and towns that can compete globally.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by blackboy(m): 6:54pm On Jun 06, 2020
A state where on Lagos island ppl still fetch water in buckets on their heads to have water.
No subway or proper train service around the state. No Lagos is not developed. A lot of work still needs to be done.
Go to developed cities or states and you go see developed not Lagos that is a show.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Petyprincess(f): 7:02pm On Jun 06, 2020
Lagos is just an overrated crowded state nothing special!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 06, 2020
Op thunder fire you..... Abi na another Lagos way i know..... If danfo sieze to operate 80% of Lagosians na steady streak.
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 11:37pm On Jun 06, 2020
Koboko444:
Everyone is trying to hustle in this period. No one is interested your ill timed post. Lagos is developed. Is that suppose to inspire. Please deactivate your profile. It is obvious that you are a wicked and insensitive person.

Haaaa!!! I no offend you na... chill guy. How far? Don't worry things go better. These are facts and they stand. It's not only Nigeria that is going through this hard time. We will overcome soon. Just be closer to God.
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 11:39pm On Jun 06, 2020
ednut1:
Most expensive slum in the world

There are slums in most developed cities of the world. There are slums in New York, Johannesburg, Nairobi and co and even larger than Makoko in Lagos. Going by what you said... Mokoko Slum has factories and they contribute immensely to the country's GDP.
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 11:41pm On Jun 06, 2020
manitoba:
If you have never travelled out of Nigeria, Lagos can be a big deal to you.

Most of the Africans cities are still far off.

Lagos should have done well but we are too corrupt.

A city with poor power infrastructures (you need to see Lagos from an Airplane at night), no portable water in most homes slums every where to mention but a few is nothing to boast about.

Maybe Atlantic City will change the narratives but Banana Island, Parkview and other rich neighbourhoods of Ikoyi are yet to do so.

How do I know?

These are my play yards. Lol

I believe one day, we will start building great cities and towns that can compete globally.

Still doesn't change these facts. Every country/city has it's own problem. With these problems we are still able to achieve all these facts. That says alot. By the time we get the issue of light fixed... things will really improve.
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 11:54pm On Jun 06, 2020
blackboy:
A state where on Lagos island ppl still fetch water in buckets on their heads to have water.
No subway or proper train service around the state. No Lagos is not developed. A lot of work still needs to be done.
Go to developed cities or states and you go see developed not Lagos that is a show.

Everywhere cant be developed at once. There is no homogenous developed city anywhere in the world. There are bound to be differences. Some places will be developed occupied by upper class and middle upper class people while some other places will be a low brow areas occupied by the middle lower income earners. The most important thing is for developed places to be higher than the developing ones. You cant find people fetching water and carrying on their head in places like Banana Island, VGC, VI and co.
The problem we Nigerians have is that we believe places abroad are entirely developed. The only difference their own is making is that they have more developed places than underdeveloped/developing places.
Atleast the pple in Lagos Island still have access to water to fetch right In some places abroad even in US, there are homeless people who dont even have access to water. The media is powerful and they make you believe everything over there is entirely developed. There are classes. Lagos have many estates now and those estates are getting it right gradually in terms of basic amenities. Understanding is what we need.
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 11:59pm On Jun 06, 2020
katagumBauchi:
Op thunder fire you..... Abi na another Lagos way i know..... If danfo sieze to operate 80% of Lagosians na steady streak.

Danfo is still the basic transportation system in Lagos. It can be phased out later in the future and that's even what will happen with little changes that is going on now. However, there is no way you will shut down the transportation system of a city and the masses will not have problem. So get this right that transportation is key to the running of a city.
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by illicit(m): 12:58am On Jun 07, 2020
The full name is Lagos de Kuramo
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 1:14pm On Jun 07, 2020
illicit:
The full name is Lagos de Kuramo

Lol
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by illicit(m): 2:27pm On Jun 07, 2020
Olumyco:

Lol
Yeah For real, that's the full name as given by the Portuguese
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 5:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
illicit:

Yeah
For real, that's the full name as given by the Portuguese

Ok

1 Like

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by ednut1(m): 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2020
Olumyco:

There are slums in most developed cities of the world. There are slums in New York, Johannesburg, Nairobi and co and even larger than Makoko in Lagos. Going by what you said... Mokoko Slum has factories and they contribute immensely to the country's GDP.
lagos is a slum. Does not have basic amenities like water, drainage, lacks standard transportation (road and sea). Today i drove past cms common rail way they have used 10 years to build with no show. I live on the island and there water is shitty. Lagos water corporation is just useless

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 10:32am On Jun 08, 2020
ednut1:
lagos is a slum. Does not have basic amenities like water, drainage, lacks standard transportation (road and sea). Today i drove past cms common rail way they have used 10 years to build with no show. I live on the island and there water is shitty. Lagos water corporation is just useless

The issue of water from water cooperation you raised is a problem but you and I should know today what works in Nigeria and most especially Lagos. I believe we have solved this issue partly in the sense that real estate is now solving this problem in a small way. There are many estates today in lagos who do not have this problem. I understand that these places are big and are mostly occupied by upper and middle classes. But that is what is working today in Nigeria. The Water Cooperation from the Govt has failed and if we think outside the box... we will know that what works now is private investment. Places like VGC, Rivers Park etc wont have this issue. Even light problem they wont have. So to me it is the number of places like this we have in Lagos that matters and that is why today many people still gets amaze at how Lagos still leads in somethings and despite the challenges.

You talked about transportation, BRT is there and it's still a good transportation system. The Yellow Buses will fade away gradually. BRT phased out Molue and gradually Danfo will phase out when small buses starts coming on board. The Railway will be completed and I think the Govt said 2022 or 2023 or so... Atleast we have a functioning Railway system going from Lagos to Ibadan which is a good thing for a mega city like Lagos. So it's a gradual process. Most of what we hear about other countries are not exactly what is on ground. Do you know that Nairobi and Johannesburg are facing light issue... though they have a good electricity but now they are having some challenges. I know they will soon find a fix...but this is to let you know that things are not just the way it is too with some other countries we think everything is green and rosy. Every country and city have their own challenges. And note that we are comparing within Africa and we cant still leave out Lagos no matter how we paint it. Other countries appreciate Lagos but we Nigerians have problem with pulling down our own country. But I am not saying we should not say the truth but let's be real with statistics and compare fairly with data and facts and not just coming to abuse or insult. That's why all the 16 facts are indisputable and no one has refuted any till now.

Thanks.
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 10:45am On Jun 08, 2020
Kenplay:

AGBAYA, this is pictures from Luanda, Angola

There is no need for insult here na... We Nigerians have problem ooo. The Pictures you even posted about Luanda cant stand the two pictures of Lagos I posted above. Luanda is a beautiful capital city but definitely not in the league of Lagos. Lagos has passed that level. See we talk fact here and not pulling any country down because of frustration or whatever. If you talk about other cities that are regional powers which we have even mentioned above then we will take you serious. But coming out to compare Lagos with Luanda does not follow.

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 10:47am On Jun 08, 2020
Olumyco:

There is no need for insult here na... We Nigerians have problem ooo. The Pictures you even posted about Luanda cant stand the two pictures of Lagos I posted above. Luanda is a beautiful capital city but definitely not in the league of Lagos. Lagos has passed that level. See we talk fact here and not pulling any country down because of frustration or whatever. If you talk about other cities that are regional powers which we have even mentioned above then we will take you serious. But coming out to compare Lagos with Luanda does not follow.

Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by ednut1(m): 11:03am On Jun 08, 2020
Olumyco:

The issue of water from water cooperation you raised is a problem but you and I should know today what works in Nigeria and most especially Lagos. I believe we have solved this issue partly in the sense that real estate is now solving this problem in a small way. There are many estates today in lagos who do not have this problem. I understand that these places are big and are mostly occupied by upper and middle classes. But that is what is working today in Nigeria. The Water Cooperation from the Govt has failed and if we think outside the box... we will know that what works now is private investment. Places like VGC, Rivers Park etc wont have this issue. Even light problem they wont have. So to me it is the number of places like this we have in Lagos that matters and that is why today many people still gets amaze at how Lagos still leads in somethings and despite the challenges.

You talked about transportation, BRT is there and it's still a good transportation system. The Yellow Buses will fade away gradually. BRT phased out Molue and gradually Danfo will phase out when small buses starts coming on board. The Railway will be completed and I think the Govt said 2022 or 2023 or so... Atleast we have a functioning Railway system going from Lagos to Ibadan which is a good thing for a mega city like Lagos. So it's a gradual process. Most of what we hear about other countries are not exactly what is on ground. Do you know that Nairobi and Johannesburg are facing light issue... though they have a good electricity but now they are having some challenges. I know they will soon find a fix...but this is to let you know that things are not just the way it is too with some other countries we think everything is green and rosy. Every country and city have their own challenges. And note that we are comparing within Africa and we cant still leave out Lagos no matter how we paint it. Other countries appreciate Lagos but we Nigerians have problem with pulling down our own country. But I am not saying we should not say the truth but let's be real with statistics and compare fairly with data and facts and not just coming to abuse or insult. That's why all the 16 facts are indisputable and no one has refuted any till now.

Thanks.
i can see mediocrity and say it is progress. With the amount of igr lagos gets we are being scammed and shortchanged. I once woke up to see my car submerged in water on the island in 2016. Island has no drainage all the join join canal and gutters lead no where. In uk some of the buses being used are over 10 years old and still in good condition because the roads are good. Here we have shitty road that in 2 years the buses have become an eyesore. Stop celebrating mediocrity
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by flexerking(m): 11:42am On Jun 08, 2020
Olumyco:

Everywhere cant be developed at once. There is no homogenous developed city anywhere in the world. There are bound to be differences. Some places will be developed occupied by upper class and middle upper class people while some other places will be a low brow areas occupied by the middle lower income earners. The most important thing is for developed places to be higher than the developing ones. You cant find people fetching water and carrying on their head in places like Banana Island, VGC, VI and co.
The problem we Nigerians have is that we believe places abroad are entirely developed. The only difference their own is making is that they have more developed places than underdeveloped/developing places.
Atleast the pple in Lagos Island still have access to water to fetch right In some places abroad even in US, there are homeless people who dont even have access to water. The media is powerful and they make you believe everything over there is entirely developed. There are classes. Lagos have many estates now and those estates are getting it right gradually in terms of basic amenities. Understanding is what we need.
so according to what u're saying one needs to be in an expensive estate to have access to basic amenities?
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 1:48pm On Jun 09, 2020
flexerking:
so according to what u're saying one needs to be in an expensive estate to have access to basic amenities?

Not exactly. The message is, the Govt has failed and private investment/private partnership programme by the Govt is what can help Nigeria. There are low cost estate too and they have basic amenities. What we need is to have many low cost estates like that of Alapere Estate and others all littered around Lagos and some of these problema would be solved at once. If you observed very well real estate biz is now booming in Lagos...
Re: Lagos Is Developed: 16 Facts About Lagos by Olumyco(m): 1:53pm On Jun 09, 2020
ednut1:
i can see mediocrity and say it is progress. With the amount of igr lagos gets we are being scammed and shortchanged. I once woke up to see my car submerged in water on the island in 2016. Island has no drainage all the join join canal and gutters lead no where. In uk some of the buses being used are over 10 years old and still in good condition because the roads are good. Here we have shitty road that in 2 years the buses have become an eyesore. Stop celebrating mediocrity

Well it's not actually mediocrity is trying to identify the problems and measure how far the country has gone in providing solutions to them... actually the country has not done well so far but gradually we will get it right. Most of the time, it's our attitude that causes some of these problems. When the available drainages are littered with dirts there is no way water would flow and there is bound to be flooding. Discipline too is one of our problems.

(1) (Reply)

As An SSCE Holder What Route Can I Use To Travel Out Aside From School. / Travel To Canada,uk,france,england&london Visa Needed Urgently / Travelling On Visit To Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.