Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,923 members, 7,835,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? (1302 Views)

Simon Odo ‘King Of Satan’ Dies: Enugu Native Doctor Who Married 59 Wives Is Dead / Do You Subscribe To The Doctrine Of Trinity? If "Yes", Take This Challenge! / My Take On The Doctrine Of Trinity And Those Saying Jesus Is God Almighty! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Abbeylanre15(m): 8:11am On Jun 07, 2020
Good Morning and Happy Sunday to everyone. First of all, I will like to bring it to the knowledge of everyone reading this post that; I am a Christian, therefore, I'm posting not to spark any controversy but rather to acquire knowledge.The rationale behind this my post is that; I like backing every statement I make with fact or substantial reference. So please,no comparing and condemning of any religion.

Growing up, we've always been told that CHRISTAINITY is against marrying two wives. But going through the Bible,I've learned that a some of the good and respected characters in the Bible actually married two wives or more.
From Abraham who God describe as His Friend,to Jacob who fought bought man and God and won,to David who is recorded as the A man of God's Heart,to Solomon the wealthiest and most knowledgeable king and so on....

Looking at those aforementioned, I do like to know if there is a particular verse in the Bible that categorically frown against marrying two wives as a Christian or it was coined by our religious leaders.

Note, I'm not a fan of a polygamous marriage and it is the last thing I wish myself. I come from one and I know how turbulent a polygamous home could be. I just want to learn so as to be able to back any of my argument with fact.

Bible Scholars in the house,over to you. Please educate me.

Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by ebenhazard(m): 8:14am On Jun 07, 2020
Someone to come educate us
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by AntiChristian: 8:19am On Jun 07, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by malvisguy212: 8:19am On Jun 07, 2020
Abraham, Jacob, David Solomons. GOD did not command them to marry second wife . Sarah ask Abraham to marry second wife, David lust over the wife of his soldier, Jacob was Deceive, and Solomons was Deceive. In fact, no were in the Bible that God address hagi as the wife of Abraham. God only address her as the bond woman. When God created Adam and eve, God systematically design how marriage should be. He did not create One Adam and many Eve. He design ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN. Jesus explain it further in the Gospel.
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Righteousness89(m): 8:20am On Jun 07, 2020
You don't Question your owner!

The Bible is the Manual to guide you.

Matthew 19:3-8
3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

We don't own ourselves! Someone owns us! We can't live outside the way our owner told us to..

Questioning Him is irrelevant.. we are nothing but mere creatures..
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Baawaa(m): 8:20am On Jun 07, 2020
God created Adam and Eve,not Adam and Eves,that was the genesis
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Abbeylanre15(m): 8:24am On Jun 07, 2020
malvisguy212:
Abraham, Jacob, David Solomons. GOD did not command them to marry second wife . Sarah ask Abraham to marry second wife, David lust over the wife of his soldier, Jacob was Deceive, and Solomons was Deceive. In fact, no were in the Bible that God address hagi as the wife of Abraham. God only address her as the bond woman. When God created Adam and eve, God systematically design how marriage should be.

Agreed! But sir, David had more than two, Batseba, Abigail,Mikael. Solomon had 700, if he didn't worship a strange god, God wouldn't have frown at the number of his wives.
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Kobojunkie: 8:24am On Jun 07, 2020
Thou shalt not commit adultery grin Any attempt to marry more than one wife can be said to violate that law grin
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Abbeylanre15(m): 8:25am On Jun 07, 2020
Baawaa:
God created Adam and Eve,not Adam and Eves,that was the genesis

U try Sir. But d point is, does marrying two wives violate God's rule?
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Abbeylanre15(m): 8:28am On Jun 07, 2020
Righteousness89:

3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

We don't own ourselves! Someone owns us! We can't live outside the way our owner told us to..

Good. But sir, Moses also had two wives
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by SouthNigerian: 8:29am On Jun 07, 2020
malvisguy212:
Abraham, Jacob, David Solomons. GOD did not command them to marry second wife . Sarah ask Abraham to marry second wife, David lust over the wife of his soldier, Jacob was Deceive, and Solomons was Deceive. In fact, no were in the Bible that God address hagi as the wife of Abraham. God only address her as the bond woman. When God created Adam and eve, God systematically design how marriage should be. He did not create One Adam and many Eve. He design ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN. Jesus explain it further in the Gospel.

Now that World Statistics says that women population is higher than men's, how do all marry evenly?

Why won't God give everyone an even number of children?

Why will He let us give birth to 2 gals 1 boy; 3 boys 2 gals?

Why dint He create the gender balance?

My questions are asked based on wanting to acquire more Knowledge about God.

EDITED.
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by malvisguy212: 8:29am On Jun 07, 2020
AntiChristian:
lipsrsealed
as a Muslim, can you explain, what drives a man marriage into Adultery? When you marry your wife, what push you to go for second wife? Is it not lust? Is that not supposed to be adultery?
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Abbeylanre15(m): 8:30am On Jun 07, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Thou shalt not commit adultery grin Any attempt to marry more than one wife can be said to violate that law grin

grin grin
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by malvisguy212: 8:31am On Jun 07, 2020
Abbeylanre15:

Agreed! But sir, David had more than two, Batseba, Abigail,Mikael. Solomon had 700, if he didn't worship a strange god, God wouldn't have frown at the number of his wives.
my point is that God did not command them to marry many wife. Is NOT biblical
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Baawaa(m): 8:32am On Jun 07, 2020
Abbeylanre15:

U try Sir. But d point is, does marrying two wives violate God's rule?
The answer is yes,the Bible says, "man should leave his father and mother and cleaves with his wife,not his wives
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Kobojunkie: 8:32am On Jun 07, 2020
Abbeylanre15:

grin grin
The old covenant was not so defined, probably the reason why it was not taken as seriously.

Jesus' New Covenant base rules as far as adultery is concerned.

Matthew 5 vs 27 - 30
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’
28. But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
29. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.
30. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.
If a man who already has one wife so much as looks at another woman, to desire her or to make her his second, the man is guilty of adultery and has broken God's commandment.
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Righteousness89(m): 8:32am On Jun 07, 2020
Abbeylanre15:

Good. But sir, Moses also had two wives

I never saw where Moses had 2 wives.

But even if He did, Is Moses your Standard?
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by ryom(m): 8:33am On Jun 07, 2020
There is levirate marriage. ¶ If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.
- Dt 25:5

3 Likes

Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by LordIsaac(m): 8:33am On Jun 07, 2020
Plus scripture says a bishop must be the husband of one wife (all believers are priests).
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by malvisguy212: 8:34am On Jun 07, 2020
SouthNigerian:

Now that World Statistics says that women population is higher than men's, how do all marry evenly?
Because of sin and disobedience, many people may not even marry ( am not praying for that) but we live in an adulterous generation.
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by SouthNigerian: 8:36am On Jun 07, 2020
malvisguy212:
Because of sin and disobedience, many people may not even marry ( am not praying for that) but we live in an adulterous generation.

How does sin affect me not getting married?

1 Like

Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by malvisguy212: 8:40am On Jun 07, 2020
SouthNigerian:

How does sin affect marriage?
sin break marriage bro. How can you ask such a question? Be truthful my brother, is it everybody that will marry? Unless you want to tell yourself lie. But as long as you are obedient to God command, marriage is certain for you .
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by ryom(m): 8:46am On Jun 07, 2020
LordIsaac:
Plus scripture says a bishop must be the husband of one wife (all believers are priests).

The word 'mia' in Greek translated as 'one' can be interpreted as 'a'. So Paul was actually implying a Bishop should be married, the husband of a wife, this is supported by the subsequent admonition of being able to 'rule' over his household (immediate family) . In other words, Paul was saying a single man should not be a Bishop. He wasn't addressing polygamy in that scripture.
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by AntiChristian: 8:48am On Jun 07, 2020
malvisguy212:
as a Muslim, can you explain, what drives a man marriage into Adultery? When you marry your wife, what push you to go for second wife? Is it not lust? Is that not supposed to be adultery?

I am married to one wife for now. The Islamic options are 2 or 3 or 4 or 1.

I can take any of the options!
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by malvisguy212: 8:58am On Jun 07, 2020
AntiChristian:

I am married to one wife for now. The Islamic options are 2 or 3 or 4 or 1.

I can take any of the options!
if you want to take the second wife, what push you to do it? Is it not what adultery is all about? When you are married, you are not supposed to lust into another woman. Now tell me, how you gonna marry the second wife without lust into her?
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by AntiChristian: 9:12am On Jun 07, 2020
malvisguy212:
if you want to take the second wife, what push you to do it? Is it not what adultery is all about? When you are married, you are not supposed to lust into another woman. Now tell me, how you gonna marry the second wife without lust into her?

Moses married more than one. Did he commit adultery? No!

David, Abraham, Solomon, etc. had more than one wives. Are they adulterous?

Where did the Bible call them adulterous?

I will marry other ladies as I did the first. That's if I want to. Lust is to fornication while love is to nikaah!
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by letu(m): 9:28am On Jun 07, 2020
Righteousness89:

For some obvious reasons you choose to ignore Mtt 19v1-2 instead you jump 1and2, then started it with v 3. The chapter your quoting is speaking about divorce and it's not speaking about marrying more than one wife, from v1-2 that you choose to ignore clearly shows that Mtt 19 wasn't all about Jesus and the Pharisees inwhich there where already a large crowd that was with Jesus before the Pharisees decide to show themselves.
So back to the large crowd who where Hebrews in Origin, this Hebrews are strong followers of their Hebrew tradition/faith in the ways of their ancestors which means that many of them all have more than one wife, then such idea that says the chapter is speaking against marrying more than one wife won't add up because the Hebrews there with Jesus are strong practitioner of their tradition/faith, Omelaala/Odinala of their ancestors inwhich Jesus is also strong believer of his ancestors faith/Omelaala Odinala and also Christ practiced the tradition of his ancestors, I'm not saying that Christ married and have more than one wife but Christ was a traditional Hebrew man filled with the spirit of God, well kindly please stop twisting the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by pyyxxaro: 9:41am On Jun 07, 2020
Depends on how homely she is
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Righteousness89(m): 11:16am On Jun 07, 2020
letu:
For some obvious reasons you choose to ignore Mtt 19v1-2 instead you jump 1and2, then started it with v 3. The chapter your quoting is speaking about divorce and it's not speaking about marrying more than one wife, from v1-2 that you choose to ignore clearly shows that Mtt 19 wasn't all about Jesus and the Pharisees inwhich there where already a large crowd that was with Jesus before the Pharisees decide to show themselves.
So back to the large crowd who where Hebrews in Origin, this Hebrews are strong followers of their Hebrew tradition/faith in the ways of their ancestors which means that many of them all have more than one wife, then such idea that says the chapter is speaking against marrying more than one wife won't add up because the Hebrews there with Jesus are strong practitioner of their tradition/faith, Omelaala/Odinala of their ancestors inwhich Jesus is also strong believer of his ancestors faith/Omelaala Odinala and also Christ practiced the tradition of his ancestors, I'm not saying that Christ married and have more than one wife but Christ was a traditional Hebrew man filled with the spirit of God, well kindly please stop twisting the Bible.

My Brother, Marriage is what we talking about!

From the Beginning he made them Male and female!

We didn't see Male and Females
We didn't see Males and Females

Male and Female is One man , one wife..

That is GOD'S plan for Marriage..
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by LordReed(m): 12:14pm On Jun 07, 2020
malvisguy212:

David MARRIED several wives before he ever saw Bathsheba.
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Dantedasz(m): 12:31pm On Jun 07, 2020

Christian's always conveniently forget or pretend to forget DEUTERONOMY CHAPTER 25 VERSES 5-10.
undecided

5 If brothers are living together and one of them dies without a son, his widow must not marry outside the family. Her husband's brother shall take her and marry her and fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her. 6 The first son she bears shall carry on the name of the dead brother so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel. 7 However, if a man does not want to marry his brother's wife, she shall go to the elders at the town gate and say, "My husband's brother refuses to carry on his brother's name in Israel. He will not fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to me." 8 Then the elders of his town shall summon him and talk to him. If he persists in saying, "I do not want to marry her," 9 his brother's widow shall go up to him in the presence of the elders, take off one of his sandals, spit in his face and say, "This is what is done to the man who will not build up his brother's family line." 10 That man's line shall be known in Israel as The Family of the Unsandaled.
Re: Christainity And The Doctrine Of Not Marrying Two Wives. Is It Biblical? by Dantedasz(m): 12:40pm On Jun 07, 2020
Christian's also conveniently forget or pretend to forget GENESIS CHAPTER 38 VERSES 6 -10.

6 And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. 7 But Er, Judah’s firstborn, swas wicked in the sight of the Lord, and the Lord put him to death. 8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to tyour brother’s wife and uperform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his. So whenever he went in to his brother’s wife he would waste the semen on the ground, so as not to give offspring to his brother. 10 And what he did was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and he put him to death also.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Many Times Can A Christian Be Born Again? / Pastor Adeboye Celebrates His Daughter Bolu Adubi On Her Birthday / Meet The Man Who Has Been Praying Since 1986

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.