Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner (26815 Views)

My Cucumber Farming Dairy (pilot Phase) / My Soybean Farming Dairy / What Is The Right Herbicide To Use On My Cassava Farm? Help Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:21pm On Jun 12, 2020
TheNigerianPers:

How much is this and how many do you need for a hectare?
rootout is sold for 5000 naira but there are other cheaper premergence powder.. some are sold for as low as 2000.. we went for the best and we've used it before... I think 2 packs should be enough to cover a hectare.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:22pm On Jun 12, 2020
TheNigerianPers:

Will you repeat this every 3 months?
not really when weeds start to appear only normal herbicides will be applied.. and that should be around September October .
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 10:01pm On Jun 12, 2020
willybaby:
rooter powder basically stops weed germinating on d soil and has an effect on d soil for as long as 3months.. they are other products such as rooter powder the general name for them is premergence powder or chemical... Now the liquid herbicides is used to kill already growing weed.. so in combining them your basically killing already growing weeds and preventing new ones to grow also... I hope you understand
do this pre emergence herbicides affect transplanted crops heavily
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:55am On Jun 13, 2020
ideepaul:

do this pre emergence herbicides affect transplanted crops heavily
it should so I advise you apply it and leave mayb a day before planting
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:47pm On Jun 13, 2020
A little story before I give a breakdown of today's farming activities... While going to the farm today the bike man actually got scared and refused to go further so I had to walk,

Omo na so i hear noise 4 bush o.. I raise my stick well d wait for anything b4 I know big bunny jump out with speed I arrange myself well wipe am stick I carry but I miss d head na leg I wipe e role but continue run.. I shout kia.. buh more noise still d na there I fear o. Cause me no know if na lion d pursue am.. I raise my stick again guess wah na ekute comot with speed kia I miss meat dog ma miss meat.. today no b 4 us...

Now back to the farm view pictures attached below
We lucky we dug a well this gives us steady access to water

1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:49pm On Jun 13, 2020
Chemicals being used.. premergence and post mergence a perfect combination

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:50pm On Jun 13, 2020
My farm manager in action

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:54pm On Jun 13, 2020
We spraying towards the evening because if it was in the afternoon the sun might evaporate most of the chemical so spraying in d evening the chemical remains more on d soil and hopefully night rain falls this will push the chemical deeper into the soil making it more effective

Tomorrow planting of cassava stems starts we will be planting a total of 6800stems on 6800heaps .
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:57pm On Jun 13, 2020
Sand fly doing its thing.. while going to the farm always be prepared I rushed to go observe the spraying and document it forgetting to put on a longsleeve shirt

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 5:11pm On Jun 13, 2020
A survival tip I learnt from Bear Grifl ultimate survivor.. this has proven to be effective so many times.. rub mud on the exposed part of your skin n insects can't bite.. am sandfly free now..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2020
More spraying taking place we almost done...
Am only sad lala won't get to post my thread on first page on how I caught a (snake)rabbit lol while going to the farm

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 5:40pm On Jun 13, 2020
More mixing more spraying more yield

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 5:42pm On Jun 13, 2020
Post mergence herbicides

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2020
Water.....

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:13pm On Jun 13, 2020
willybaby:
Remember the total number of heaps to be formed is 6,000
pls what's the size of your land? 1 acre? how many heaps do you think can fit in 1 acre?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 8:37pm On Jun 13, 2020
Psalmy2cute:

pls what's the size of your land? 1 acre? how many heaps do you think can fit in 1 acre?
willybaby:
Hello everyone, so before I give a break down of today's farming activities, I think I should drop more information about the land.. The proposed cassava capacity to be farmed locally here is called ULA anf we farming 20 ULA... An ULA is basically 400 heaps so that means the farm land will contain a total of 8,000 heaps and we plan to plant 2 cassava stem per heap... So I think that should give u guys a basic idea of land size... It's almost an hectare.......

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:17pm On Jun 15, 2020
Good afternoon everyone, some of you must have noticed a little bit of quiet from my end, well it was due to a little challenge we experienced and that's sourcing of cassava stem in particular TME419 VARIETY it's crazy currently in benue even seeing local variety of cassava to buy is hard..

The good news is our cassava has landed.. although quiet expensive a bundle of 50stems is sold for 1000 but it's well... Cassava is sure gonna be expensive next year so plant plant plant.. below are pictures

1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:17pm On Jun 15, 2020
Stems..

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:18pm On Jun 15, 2020
Planting starts tomorrow sharply

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 5:45pm On Jun 15, 2020
willybaby:
Good afternoon everyone, some of you must have noticed a little bit of quiet from my end, well it was due to a little challenge we experienced and that's sourcing of cassava stem in particular TME419 VARIETY it's crazy currently in benue even seeing local variety of cassava to buy is hard..

The good news is our cassava has landed.. although quiet expensive a bundle of 50stems is sold for 1000 but it's well... Cassava is sure gonna be expensive next year so plant plant plant.. below are pictures
N1000 a bundle? That's expensive o. Maybe it's due to the fact that you planted late sha...time was sold btw 500& 700 depending on the credibility of your source and distance around February/march
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by safepaulooo(m): 6:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
Please did you buy the 1 hectare of land outright or you rented it? How much is a hectare if one is buying and if renting? Which option is better and what factors will determine which option to go for?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:13pm On Jun 15, 2020
safepaulooo:
Please did you buy the 1 hectare of land outright or you rented it? How much is a hectare if one is buying and if renting? Which option is better and what factors will determine which option to go for?
renting and buying are two different things and they are both good.. if you buy it becomes your to use as you deem fit and you saving the cost of consequent rental while renting on the order hand gives you more profit in a farming season because must surely be cheaper, it's up to you.. rented my hectare 20,000 and it's due to my relationship with the land owner can b cheaper can be costlier..
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2020
ideepaul:

N1000 a bundle? That's expensive o. Maybe it's due to the fact that you planted late sha...time was sold btw 500& 700 depending on the credibility of your source and distance around February/march
people are selling as high as 1200 to 1500 I think it's due to farmers harvesting much earlier it's actually not late to plant cassava

3 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by dudufemi(m): 3:58am On Jun 16, 2020
willybaby:
renting and buying are two different things and they are both good.. if you buy it becomes your to use as you deem fit and you saving the cost of consequent rental while renting on the order hand gives you more profit in a farming season because must surely be cheaper, it's up to you.. rented my hectare 20,000 and it's due to my relationship with the land owner can b cheaper can be costlier..

Please continue the good work.

2 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
Am tired, dirty but happy because money was planted.. who says money doesn't grow on trees..
Today didn't actually go as planned cassava was supposed to be planted today on the heaps but due to the fact that we in it for the money while feeding the nation we decided to do a little something called mixed cropping...
Corn was added to the farm and in 3months it will be harvested the money gotten from the sales will go a long way in offsetting cost incurred farming the cassava..
Below are some agricultural facts while we hope both crops would do well..
1. The land in use is very fertile and when the corn is grown fertilizer will still b added this will help both crops.. the harvested dead corn too would serve as manure to the fertilizer
2. The don't share the same pest or diseases
3. Adequate spacing was practiced
4.etc

2 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:59pm On Jun 16, 2020
In the farm nothing ever goes to waste.. the used empty herbicides container was cut up and now is used to hold our grains for planting

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:02pm On Jun 16, 2020
Planting going on.... a custard rubber of corn seeds was bought a total of 6800 heaps was planted today by 3 people with 2 seeds per heap

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:09pm On Jun 16, 2020
So questions, comments, advice all is very much welcome and appreciated.. thanks for all the calls have been getting..

Dig with your heels drop with your hands.. that's how we plant

Say hello to the black giant beetle who came visiting

3 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 1:26pm On Jun 16, 2020
I saw that thing but did not know it's name. But why didn't you employ the services of a tractor? I think it would have been cheaper. There was a farmer paid me to join a team of cassava planters while I was on school break, the spacing was nothing like I have ever seen before. it was so compact we had to call his attention to the spacing instructed by the supervisors, he told us that it's the standard spacing for the cultivar he had, we were never told the cultivar as they were so secretive about everything, including the names of the fertilizer used, they went as far as emptying bags of the unknown fertilizer into rice bags so we won't know the type of fertilizer. Maybe someone experienced in this compact spacing using tractor rigde could help explain the benefits and dangers here

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
ideepaul:
I saw that thing but did not know it's name. But why didn't you employ the services of a tractor? I think it would have been cheaper. There was a farmer paid me to join a team of cassava planters while I was on school break, the spacing was nothing like I have ever seen before. it was so compact we had to call his attention to the spacing instructed by the supervisors, he told us that it's the standard spacing for the cultivar he had, we were never told the cultivar as they were so secretive about everything, including the names of the fertilizer used, they went as far as emptying bags of the unknown fertilizer into rice bags so we won't know the type of fertilizer. Maybe someone experienced in this compact spacing using tractor rigde could help explain the benefits and dangers here
Amazing story now am curious what they were up to
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 5:24pm On Jun 16, 2020
willybaby:
Amazing story now am curious what they were up to
I suspect they were doing research because they were following too many quantified protocols...the spacing was about 50-60cm apart from just looking at it
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:36am On Jun 19, 2020
Good morning everyone and am so so sorry for not posting for a while have just been focused on my farm, now to the good news our cassava as I said earlier has been delivered and planting has been going on for a couple of days now. We were about to finish planting yesterday so on farm 1 our corn and cassava is in the ground. May God bless our efforts.. Amen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Rice Harvest: Kebbi Now Haven To Millers, Buyers / Man Ties Tree With Juju Cloth To Scare People, But See What Happened Next. Pics / A Day Old Foreign Turkeys Are For Sale In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.