Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc (700 Views)

Cybercrime: Doing This On The Internet Can Send You To Prison – NCC / MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine / NCC To Sanction MTN, Airtel, Globacom Over Auto Data Service Migration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by Thespecialone(m): 2:50pm On Jan 24, 2011
The Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian
Communications Commission (NCC), Dr Eugene Juwah,
has disclosed that number portability will commence in
the country in May this year.
Juwah, at an interactive session with newsmen in Lagos,
said this was part of the strategic actions of the
commission aimed at improving competition and
accountability of the service providers to the consumers
of their products and services.
Number portability enables mobile telephone users to
retain their mobile telephone numbers when changing
from one mobile network operator to another.
Juwah said: “We have shortlisted those that will drive the
number portability process, but this will be after the SIM
card registration. We want to get a good grasp of SIM
cards before we award number portability and by May we
would have mobile portability in effect ”.
The NCC boss, who unveiled a six point agenda geared at
moving the sector forward, stressed that he will work to
take the telecoms industry to the next level of
development following the successes recorded in the
voice segment in the last decade.

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/number-portability-ll-commence-in-may-says-ncc/85308/
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by amdman: 3:22pm On Jan 24, 2011
This is a good idea!
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by revomind(m): 3:40pm On Jan 24, 2011
Been a long time coming,
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by WackyJ1(m): 4:02pm On Jan 24, 2011
Very Good idea. I just hope it's not all talk and no work
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by semid4lyfe(m): 6:55pm On Jan 24, 2011
The Former NCC boss Ernest Ndukwe said the same thing in 2009 and it ought to have come into effect last year going by what he said.

I'll believe it when it happens.
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by Seun(m): 6:57pm On Jan 24, 2011
Did we really ask for this? It's convenient to know someone's network from the number.
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by 4ll3rbuntu: 7:58pm On Jan 24, 2011
@ seun nope, i fail to see what knowing someone's network adds to my life.

if and when this happens kaboom, mtn is in trouble in my life. i have a line i have used since like 2003/4, i have wanted to drop it like for ever, but i find myself attached to the line simply because the number of things in my life attached to those digits is too much. and practically everyone i know has just that number, decapitating it is kinda problematic.

i also detest carrying more than one fone on my person, weighing my pockets down, hand bags are just a pain, . . . . . . .

besides portability is what will eventually drive uniform tarriffs and flat rates across board. that is when we will see genuine price wars too.

I SAY GR*8 IDEA, pray they do it. at least when one misbehave i will simply pay the token they charge and switch to another network till that one too misbehaves.

besides, service will be better as they will all be forced to share masts, bye to bad network strength for some sluggards.
abeg bring it on
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by Seun(m): 10:55pm On Jan 24, 2011
@ seun nope, i fail to see what knowing someone's network adds to my life.
Cost estimation and control. So you can choose which phone to call with and guess the tariff.
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by frgy1: 7:34am On Jan 25, 2011
Seun:

Cost estimation and control. So you can choose which phone to call with and guess the tariff.
That isn't an issue anymore .Only MTN users still do that today , for Glo Etisalat and Airtel , it's same rate across all network
And for you to be an MTN user this present time, you must be rich enough for that not to be a concern

I am very sure MTN will fight this reform with all they have and I hope to no avail. Their greatest (and perhaps only) strength is the large number of subscribers on their network , which this reform (if it comes to fruition ) will take away .
Let's have an healthier competition
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by aieromon(m): 8:03am On Jan 25, 2011
Will MTN let this see the light of day??
Re: Number Portability’ll Commence In May, Says Ncc by lynxnoon(m): 10:28am On Jan 25, 2011
aieromon:

Will MTN let this see the light of day??
frgy_:

I am very sure MTN will fight this reform with all they have and I hope to no avail. Their greatest (and perhaps only) strength is the large number of subscribers on their network , which this reform (if it comes to fruition ) will take away .
Let's have an healthier competition
Once and If this ever commences, MTN is DEAD, cos i'll be d first person to dump their sorry a*#@ grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Nokia N95 For Sale Just 14000 Working Perfect I Reside In Lagos 08038609801 / Association Of Blackberry Users / Excellent Condition Nokia C6 For Blackberry Bold2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.