Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,046 members, 7,838,645 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Are Catholics Really Christians? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Catholics Really Christians? (12608 Views)

Are Catholics Idol Worshippers? Pls See Pics / Do Catholics Really Know Who What And Why They Worship (pictures) / Are Catholics Idol Worshippers ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 3:14pm On Mar 30, 2006
they act like they prefer mother of jesus than they like jesus because everywhere around them you see pics of mary and they kneel to her and pray whereas God says jesus is the way to God(christianity) so they might not be 100% christian

whiteroses this is for you

Hail mary full of grace the lord is with you blessed at thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb jesus
Holy mary mother of god pray for us sinners now and at the hour of or death.

We pray to her to pray for us
The angle of the lord came to her saying hail oh favoured one

go to luck 1 vers46 to48

we give her that respeckt as the mother of god.
If am a king of the world and you come to my house you greet me but do not greet my mum what do you think i will say.
If you want something from me and i say no to you .
Lets say you meet my mum outside will you not ask her to talk to me?
will i say no to my mum.?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 3:41pm On Mar 30, 2006
Where in the bible are we instructed to say a rosary prayer?

Is that not being narrow meinded?

Luck1 :41 And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of mary the babe leaped in her womb.
And Elizabeth was filled with the holy spirit and she excclamed with a loud cry Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb !why is this granted me that that the mother of my lord should come to me.

The rosary is not only full of hail mary but also the lords prayer.
and the glory be

Glory be to the father the son and the holy spirit , as it was in the beginning , is now and ever shall be world with out end.

What do you have aganist these prayers.
A insult to mary is an insult to the mother of god.
Elisbeth was filled with the holy spirit when she made this statement.
The Rosary is used to count , its better than using fingers to count.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 3:44pm On Mar 30, 2006
@ Ono think of what jesus said to Peter .
To peter we trace or pope.
Did jesus not say what is bound on eath will be bound in heaven.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by charlisco(m): 4:29pm On Mar 31, 2006
Where does the rosary prayer originated from, i mean who initiated the rosary prayer
and for those not saying the rosary prayer, have they committed sin to the Almight God

Does any one during the bible period prayed to God using the rosary?

If the rosary prayer is not instructed from the bible, why must we practise it?

1 Like

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 4:45pm On Mar 31, 2006
Must every thing be from the bible .
The bible says this , the bible says that.
Sometimes if i come to a mans house and i greet his Mother is that an offence.
If i greet her everyday is that an offence.

It is not a sin not to say the rosary.
But i think it will be a sin to insult the mother of Jesus.
And i do not thing she was just a vessle.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by charlisco(m): 4:57pm On Mar 31, 2006
how important the rosary is to catholic christian?

1 Like

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 5:57pm On Mar 31, 2006
Could a Catholic explain to me the meaning of addressing Mary as "mother of God" - it does not appear to me that is what she was called in God's Word. I'll appreciate a reasonable and unbiased response that is based on God's Word. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 5:58pm On Mar 31, 2006
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 6:02pm On Mar 31, 2006
Is it not said in One god there are 3 persons.
God the father , God the son and the holy spirit
If jesus is the son of god ,
You tell me first is he a god or not.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 6:11pm On Mar 31, 2006
I would like you to point me more to the Bible, not the traditions many people are too familiar with. God has no beginning nor end - no one created Him. "Mother of God" suggests that Mary gave birth to 'God' (to even think of such a thing! - Lord have mercy!) - which is not true. If I'm missing something out, please kindly direct me to God's Word so I could check it out as well.

2 Likes

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 7:58pm On Mar 31, 2006
Luck1 :41 And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of mary the babe leaped in her womb.
And Elizabeth was filled with the holy spirit and she excclamed with a loud cry Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb !why is this granted me that that the mother of my lord should come to me.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 8:11pm On Mar 31, 2006
Luke 1:41 does not call Mary the 'mother of God', and you didn't explain. So, what am I missing?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mochafella(m): 10:51pm On Mar 31, 2006
welborn:

Luke 1:41 does not call Mary the 'mother of God', and you didn't explain. So, what am I missing?

um welborn,

it does clearly say "mother of my lord". What do you think was meant there? Sounds like you are splitting hairs. Besides catholics do know Mary was God's birth mother/vessel. No one is suggesting she had a hand in God's "creation".

charlisco:

how important the rosary is to catholic christian?
It's a set of beads used to pray to God and to ask Mary to pray to God for the individual saying the rosary. I beleive it's importance is restricted to that.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 3:31am On Apr 01, 2006
mochafella:

um welborn,

it does clearly say "mother of my lord". What do you think was meant there? Sounds like you are splitting hairs. Besides catholics do know Mary was God's birth mother/vessel. No one is suggesting she had a hand in God's "creation".
It's a set of beads used to pray to God and to ask Mary to pray to God for the individual saying the rosary. I beleive it's importance is restricted to that.

Many thanks for your reply, but no I'm not trying to split hairs.

Luke 1:43 indeed mentions 'mother of my Lord' but is that the same thing as mother of God? And just what I feared you would conclude by that title is the idea that Mary was God's birth mother/vessel - it sounds like you're saying Mary gave birth to God!

Jesus is God, no doubt (John 1:1) but He was God before Mary even existed! Jesus created Mary (see John 1:3). For somebody to be God's mother (or 'mother of God', or even 'God's birth mother'), that person should have existed before God - which is impossible with Mary or anyone else for that matter. Jesus became Man (John 1:14) and it is in the sense of His humanity that Mary is His mother, not in the sense of His deity. Mary did not give birth to God, nor is she God's birth mother. Read through the Bible for yourself - there's no idea of the 'birth of God' because He has no beginning nor end.

I've tried to reason as to why the early Christians did not call Mary 'mother of God', or 'God's mother'. For one thing, while they were gathered in prayer in the upper room, no one addressed Mary as such, and no one even asked Mary to pray to God as the intermediary or go-between for those who were gathered - even though she was present there with them; they simply prayed to God (see Acts 1:12-14. . . did you notice that Mary is called the 'mother of Jesus' in verse 14, rather than 'mother of God'?).

Second of all, in at least two recorded situations we see how Jesus responded to events connected with His mother: (a) when Mary approached Him with the request for wine at the wedding of Cana, He simply called her 'woman' instead of 'mother' in John 2:4; (b) when someone in the audience called out to Him that His mother and brethren stood outside and desired to speak with Him, Jesus said that whosoever did the will of the Father was His brother, and sister, and mother - Matt. 12:46-50. If you are also doing the will the Father, you certainly would not call yourself a 'sister of God' or 'God's sister', would you? That you are a 'child of God' by faith in Jesus Christ is not something for me to argue about; but that is not the same thing as someone calling you a 'sister of God', is it?

Once again, my aim is not to cause a skirmish. However, I've often wondered what Catholics mean by 'mother of God'. Don't get me wrong - Mary indeed is one of the special women in the Bible. But it seems to me that the Catholic doctrine of venerating her to the status of 'mother of God' (or 'God's mother', or yet 'God's birth mother' as if she gave birth to God) is an unbiblical tradition that has no convincing historical basis with the apostles and early Christians.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 8:22am On Apr 01, 2006
And who did he appear too after his death.
Was Jesus not born as a baby, did he not grow in his mothers house.
Do you think he only talked two times to his mother
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 11:47am On Apr 01, 2006
Jesus appeared to several women including Mary His mother after His resurrection; He was born as a baby and grew up in His mother's house; and more than twice, He addressed her.

Do all these matters make Mary the 'mother of God'?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 12:17pm On Apr 01, 2006
Is Jesus god
is Jesus the son of god
is Jesus god that was made man to die for us.
Do you believe in the holy trinity.
Is there a difference between lord and god.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 1:02pm On Apr 01, 2006
Give me just one place in your Bible where Mary is directly called 'mother of God' by anyone - whether in the Gospels or the Epistles where the doctrines of the Church are established. If you're trying to indirectly call Mary that title, then according to Matt. 12:50, would you indirectly call yourself the "sister of God"?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 1:21pm On Apr 01, 2006
you have not answered my question who is LORD
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 1:37pm On Apr 01, 2006
I'll grant you that - Jesus is Lord.

Having said that, would you also be saying that Mary is the 'mother of God' if you admit that the Father is also God as well as is the Holy Spirit? If you said that Mary is 'God's birth mother/vessel', are you ignoring the fact that the Father is God also in the Trinity?

In fair exchange, would you answer my question which I repost --

>>If you're trying to indirectly call Mary that title, then according to Matt. 12:50, would you indirectly call yourself the "sister of God"?<<
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 1:49pm On Apr 01, 2006
Thats why they call it the mystery of the holy Trinity
I will not call myself a sister of god
But a child of God are we not all Gods children He is our maker.
And i did not call mary a vessel . I said she should not be seen as a vessel.
As long as i dont know if jesus is god i cannot answere you Question.
If Jesus is "ONly" the son of God then he is not God but the son of god .
But if he is god that was born as man, then he was born through a woman.
And this woman is the mother.
What is a mother.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by charlisco(m): 1:55pm On Apr 01, 2006
Can you pinpoint, were we are authorize to used rosary for prayer
I would like you to point me more to the Bible, not the traditions many people are too familiar with.

and if you have finished answer that question, what other thing apart from the rosary can will used to pray to God

but please answer the first one
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 2:07pm On Apr 01, 2006
The rosary is a means to remember what happened.
And when we reseit it we do not forget why dont you just read the link.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2006
we pray to Mary to pray for us and the rosary is not only full of Mary prayers.
Like i say i i want something from you and i don't get it what stops me from going to your mother,
I i now say its from the pope you will say the pope is human.
What was Peter .
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 2:59pm On Apr 01, 2006
mamaput:

Thats why they call it the mystery of the holy Trinity
I will not call myself a sister of god
But a child of God are we not all Gods children He is our maker.
And i did not call mary a vessel . I said she should not be seen as a vessel.
As long as i don't know if jesus is god i cannot answere you Question.
If Jesus is "ONly" the son of God then he is not God but the son of god .
But if he is god that was born as man, then he was born through a woman.
And this woman is the mother.
What is a mother.

Alright then, if you cannot call yourself a 'sister of God' directly or indirectly, I don't see why you want to call Mary the 'mother of God' by any indirect rule of application. The whole discussion is centered on what God's Word says in direct statements - and so far, there is not a single verse in Scripture that refers to Mary as the 'mother of God.' Let me share why this is important for me as a Christian who is humbly seeking God's truth.

God Himself inspired the Scriptures (II Tim. 3:16) and as such it makes sense to understand that if He wanted Mary to be called 'mother of God', then He would definitely have inspired at least one of the apostles to inscribe that title in the Bible.

There's a deep lesson to be learnt in God's Word about giving people titles that have no foundation in God's Word. Paul was inspired to write to the Corinthians to warn them not to go beyond and call anyone something more than they deserved: this is how he put it - "I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another." (I Cor. 4:6).

Further, Jesus Himself warned that the tradition of men constitutes vain worship before God (Matt. 15:9). That is why it is important for me to know if most of the things in any Church originates as the tradition of men, or the Word of God.

When investigating any subject of Scripture, one needs to be careful to use the Biblical words than mere human conjectures. Take for example the apostle Paul's use of this rule of context: "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seed[b]s[/b], as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ." (Gal. 3:16). There's defintely a world of difference between 'seeds' and 'seed', and the apostle was careful to point that out. Jesus even used this same rule in discussing with people. Often you would read of Him saying, "It is written" or "What is written in the law? how readest thou?" (Luke 10:26).

If it was important to the Lord Jesus to keep to what is written in God's Word, I think anyone who seeks God's truth should take that same attitude - "What is written?" It is a healthy practice "not to go beyond what is written", as the apostle Paul warns in I Cor. 4:6. That's why I asked you to show me where in the Scriptures Mary is called the 'mother of God'.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 3:05pm On Apr 01, 2006
That i don't know .
But I also believe that there are scripts that have not been opened to us.
That there are things that have not been reviled to us.
But Mary is supposed to have appeared to people several times, the church also investigated the cases and found some for true eg our lady of Fatima.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 3:58pm On Apr 01, 2006
mamaput:

we pray to Mary to pray for us and the rosary is not only full of Mary prayers.
Like i say i i want something from you and i don't get it what stops me from going to your mother,
I i now say its from the pope you will say the pope is human.
What was Peter .

You pray to Mary? I think your inference here is also flawed. First, how do you know that if you asked something from Jesus you would not get it? That is not a promise found in God's Word, for Jesus said everyone who asks will receive (Matt.7:8 ); and He also promised that "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son" (John 14:13). He did not say we should ask Mary in His name, but rather we ask the Father in Jesus' name (John 15:16 & 16:23).

The Bible does not tell us to pray to Pope, Paul or Peter. . nor even Mary - because it is only to God that worship and prayers are to be directed, not to men: "All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name." (Psa 86:9). Why is it that no one in Biblical times prayed to Mary or any of the apostles? And why did Jesus Himself ask His disciples to pray directly to the Father in Jesus' name? Why did the Israelites (or Jews) not ask Abraham, Moses, Miriam, Samuel, Deborah, Hulda, David, Daniel and so many other men and women of God to pray for them after these men and women passed into blessed memory?

We are not asked to pray to men or women, neither are we asked to seek the prayers of the dead - that is called necromancy in God's Word.

1 Like

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 4:01pm On Apr 01, 2006
mamaput:

That i don't know .
But I also believe that there are scripts that have not been opened to us.
That there are things that have not been reviled to us.
But Mary is supposed to have appeared to people several times, the church also investigated the cases and found some for true eg our lady of Fatima.

I respect your sincerity in answering my questions, mamaput - and may I further remark that you're one of the few rare Catholics I've been able to discuss issues with in a friendly way without fights and outburts. Thank you for your patience.

All I'm asking is that you take time to go through the Word of God - that is the surest ground that can guarantee you the truth against the traditions of men. These things you are defending will only make sense if they are found in the Scriptures rather than the traditions of men - because the traditions of men do FIVE serious things in the lives of those who follow them -

(a) they make people transgress God's commandments
(b) they make the commandments of God of no effect in people's lives
(c) they encourage people to lay aside God's commandments
(d) they bring in a whole lot of other traditions that are foreign and vain to worship
(e) they encourage people to reject the commandments of God in favour of traditions of men

"But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?. . .Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition" (Matt. 15:3 & 6).

"For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do,  .And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition." (Mark 7:8 & 9).

I don't mean to be crude with respect to whatever you want to adopt in your worship style; however, my friendly appeal is that we all seek God's truth from God's Word rather than from the traditions of men. That is what is informing my questions and why I would appreciate that you point me more to the Bible than something else.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 4:10pm On Apr 01, 2006
I want to remind you of the religion we had before the white man came.
It was not a bad religion.
We believed in God the almighty but we believed that he was too Almighty that we talk to him .
so we had the lesser gods. The priests and the ancestors. We all read things fall apart to have a small idea.
Please forget the juju stuff thats evil spirit.
Nobody has seen God but we believe.
Its about believing and also believing in things we do not see.
But i think i will read a bit more in my bible. By the way the bible i have is still the same one from my school over 20 years old.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 4:16pm On Apr 01, 2006
Wow! That's a great treasure to have, you know cheesy

When I was in secondary school, the Gideons visited our school and gave us copies of the New Testament, but I never read it for years even though I believed I was a 'good person' - that was way back in 1985. . . uhm, yep - just over 20 years ago, too! Today, that little copy is a treasure to me, even though its binding/spine is weak. .lol; but, of course, I have acquired more copies of the Bible in several translations and versions.

Way to go, mamaput. Once again, thank you for your calm responses - and be encouraged to read more in God's Word. wink
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by mamaput(f): 6:03pm On Apr 01, 2006
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by welborn(m): 8:14pm On Apr 01, 2006
Hey mamaput, after a great break this afternoon, I'm back - and then I saw the weblinks you'd posted. Let me assure you that I had already visited them and several others before you posted. Greatly appreciate your efforts. However, there are some concerns that I should table here:

From the first weblink [Catholic Answers]: http://www.catholic.com/library/Mary_Mother_of_God.asp

Catholic Answers applies a logical syllogism to arrive at the title of Mary as 'mother of God'. What they don't understand is that the syllogism could be applied to arrive at a lot of other flawed and horrifying notions that bear no Scriptural basis. Let me attempt what a syllogism is:

By definition:
A syllogism is type of deductive reasoning containing two premises and a conclusion,
logical argument in the form "if A=C and A=B then B=C" (Logic); deductive reasoning.

Quote from Catholic Answers:
"Since Mary is Jesus’ mother, it must be concluded that she is also the Mother of God:
If Mary is the mother of Jesus, and if Jesus is God, then Mary is the Mother of God.
There is no way out of this logical syllogism, the valid form of which has been recognized
by classical logicians since before the time of Christ."

Now let's see if logical syllogism applies to the following Scriptures:

(1) Since Jesus is God, and He calls believers His brethren (Heb. 2:11-12), by logical syllogism is it correct to say that believers are 'brethren of God'?

(2) Since Jesus is God, and He calls those who do the Father's will His sisters and brothers (Matt. 12:50), by logical syllogism, is it correct to call you the 'sister of God' and a Catholic male 'brother of God'?

(3) Since Jesus is God, and He was surely put to death on the Cross (Matt. 27:50), by logical syllogism, is it correct to say that 'God was put to death?'

(4) Or, since Jesus is God, and He was crucified (Mark 15:25), is it correct by the same logical syllogism to say that 'God was crucified'?

If we keep up with this logical syllogism, you'll come to see that what Catholic Answers has done is untenable. The Word of God is not interpreted by logic; Jesus said that the Holy Spirit will teach us all things (John 14:26), and any careful reader of God's Word will see that logical syllogism is too weak a tool in matters of divine revelation.

Catholic Answers website got it wrong. They can't find a clear scripture giving Mary the title of 'mother of God', and the only way they have sought to defend that title is by classical logic - not the word of God. Have you wondered that the Bible always uses the respected title of 'the mother of Jesus' (or 'Mary his mother') for Mary? (see for example John 2:1-3 and Acts 1:14). Nowhere in scripture was Mary ever called 'mother of God'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Salvation Plan / THE RED SEA CROSSING. Did It Really Happen? [See pictures] / How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.