Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,973 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread (1754 Views)

University Of Port Harcourt Lecturer Caught Sexually Harassing A Female Student / Mother, Son And Daughter Convoke Together At University Of Port Harcourt / Nairaland Thread For Admission processes 2019/2020 (All Universities) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 7:58pm On Jun 13, 2020
This is the Unique University of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread

This thread is mainly for students and aspirants in uniport, but all is welcomed...

Please make yourself known by introducing yourself, your faculty and department, you can also tell us your level(optional).

Welcome to Unique UniPort!

1 Like

Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 7:59pm On Jun 13, 2020
Let's start with me

Faculty of Science
P.I.C

1 Like

Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Chuky7(m): 10:30pm On Jun 13, 2020
Kimcutie:
Let's start with me
Faculty of Science P.I.C
I would like to see uniport aerial view on FP please....
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Odiaze(m): 5:00am On Jun 14, 2020
Nice thread, i hope this thread helps every uniport aspirants and students. As for me i am a Chemical Engineering aspirants of UNIPORT, and i dont know how competitive the course is there.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 8:41am On Jun 14, 2020
Odiaze:
Nice thread, i hope this thread helps every uniport aspirants and students. As for me i am a Chemical Engineering aspirants of UNIPORT, and i dont know how competitive the course is there.
Welcome Odiaze.

With 200+ in jamb and 220+ in post utme, you will be able to secure the admission, but it depends on the numbers of aspirants on that same course.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 8:46am On Jun 14, 2020
Chuky7:

I would like to see uniport aerial view on FP please....
Okay, I will create a thread on that.

1 Like

Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by DharmieDhrey(m): 10:39am On Jun 14, 2020
Good day everyone. How does UNIPORT admit students? as in modality and what was last year's departmental cut off for MBBS?
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Odiaze(m): 12:07pm On Jun 14, 2020
Mr kimcutie, my jamb score is 256, for Chemical Engineering what is my chance of gaining admission on merit and what should i score in putme to increase my chance.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 12:49pm On Jun 14, 2020
Odiaze:
Mr kimcutie, my jamb score is 256, for Chemical Engineering what is my chance of gaining admission on merit and what should i score in putme to increase my chance.
You have a good jamb score smiley now all you need is 220+ in post utme and you're good to go.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 12:54pm On Jun 14, 2020
DharmieDhrey:
Good day everyone. How does UNIPORT admit students? as in modality and what was last year's departmental cut off for MBBS?
250 was the cut off.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by dprpikin: 2:20pm On Jun 14, 2020
Odiaze:

I would say your score is decent. However, prepare very well for the putme, because in uniport ( especially engineering) it is very very tough.

To put it into projection, during my time, I got either 220 or 244 ( I guess so) in jamb but couldn't get up to 200 in the putme. Yet, I got admitted on merit. All of my acquintances got in on merits too.

In terms of meritocracy in admissions, uniport can stand up to any public school anywhere in this country. What you need is just to study hard. Simple.

By the way, I'm a graduate of Chemical Engineering.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Odiaze(m): 3:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
Thanks for the advice mr dprpickin and mr kimcutie, i will work on my putme like u said, but mr dprpickin how difficult and stressful is chemical engineering in uniport, looking at the courses, lecturers, lecture halls, learning facilities and all others. And also what job oppournities are outside for a graduate of the course apart from oil companies. THANKS
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by oyetunjibaba: 9:16am On Jun 18, 2020
?
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 3:19pm On Jun 19, 2020
oyetunjibaba:
?
What's the issue?
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by oyetunjibaba: 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2020
Kimcutie:
What's the issue?

Boss mi
No mind me jae...
I won book space
Wetin be nursing cutoff for last year ?
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by PrinceMon101(m): 6:56pm On Jun 19, 2020
I am here also, a unique student
FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCE HUMAN ANATOMY

3 Likes

Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by MelaninGold(f): 11:02pm On Jun 19, 2020
I just have this inkling that uniport may not conduct POST UTME this year as a result of the pandemic. What do y'all think?
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by dprpikin: 1:05am On Jun 20, 2020
Odiaze:
Thanks for the advice mr dprpickin and mr kimcutie, i will work on my putme like u said, but mr dprpickin how difficult and stressful is chemical engineering in uniport, looking at the courses, lecturers, lecture halls, learning facilities and all others. And also what job oppournities are outside for a graduate of the course apart from oil companies. THANKS
Your questions are actually subjective. However, simply put, Chemical engineering is very stressful, you have to up your game. This is by no means a discouragement, just to sensitize you. In our set, about 90+ candidates were admitted, but only about 10 or there about finished with second class upper divisions and there was no first class. Though, some left midway.

To answer your other questions:
1) some of the courses are simple others are difficult.
2) I have no issues with the lecturers, they are decent.
3) There is a big challenge in the lecture venues due to over crowdedness in the first and second years respectively. From third year no much issues.
4) In terms of facilities nothing to impress in this area. In fact, I was disappointed. This is a general problem across Nigerian public schools, anyway.

Chemical engineering is very versatile, arguably the most versatile besides Elect Elect.

As a graduate of Chem Eng, you can work in a Fertilizer, Paint, Resins, Food and Beverages, Cement, Polymer (plastic and others), Drug, Cosmetics and other consumer goods, and automobile production industries.
In fact, any process that involves transfer of material and or exchange of heat, the services of a Chemical engineer is required.

Hope this helps, though coming late?
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by oyetunjibaba: 2:18am On Jun 20, 2020
PrinceMon101:
FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCE HUMAN ANATOMY
what level sir? what was the cutoff mark for nursing science last year?
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Odiaze(m): 9:09am On Jun 20, 2020
Thanks for the advice mr dprpickin, i pray GOD helps me in my career pusuit as a chemical engineer
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by paul100(m): 10:10am On Jun 20, 2020
dprpikin:

Your questions are actually subjective. However, simply put, Chemical engineering is very stressful, you have to up your game. This is by no means a discouragement, just to sensitize you. In our set, about 90+ candidates were admitted, but only about 10 or there about finished with second class upper divisions and there was no first class. Though, some left midway.

To answer your other questions:
1) some of the courses are simple others are difficult.
2) I have no issues with the lecturers, they are decent.
3) There is a big challenge in the lecture venues due to over crowdedness in the first and second years respectively. From third year no much issues.
4) In terms of facilities nothing to impress in this area. In fact, I was disappointed. This is a general problem across Nigerian public schools, anyway.

Chemical engineering is very versatile, arguably the most versatile besides Elect Elect.

As a graduate of Chem Eng, you can work in a Fertilizer, Paint, Resins, Food and Beverages, Cement, Polymer (plastic and others), Drug, Cosmetics and other consumer goods, and automobile production industries.
In fact, any process that involves transfer of material and or exchange of heat, the services of a Chemical engineer is required.

Hope this helps, though coming late?
I am studying chemical engineering in uniport too,so i will like to know why people hardly get first class in the department.Sorry to ask this but did you just graduate.Is it the lecturers,the courses or unseriousness from the students.I will like to know.Thanks
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by dprpikin: 11:43am On Jun 20, 2020
paul100:

I am studying chemical engineering in uniport too,so i will like to know why people hardly get first class in the department.Sorry to ask this but did you just graduate.Is it the lecturers,the courses or unseriousness from the students.I will like to know.Thanks

Well, I'm not really in a good position to answer this question, as I had never been in a first class position during my time.

However, there were innuendoes that some lecturers were not happy to see students graduate with first class, because themselves couldn't in there own time. I don't really treat such stories or rumours seriously, so don't take it hook, line and sinkers, it might be untrue. But again, fact is Chemical engineering Dept does not in anyway encourage their students to aim at first class. I could remember in our own time, some students that graduated with first class in other depts were rumoured to have been helped one way or the other by their lecturers. While our own guy who has been on first class from year one couldn't make it eventually. Such is life.

The courses are difficult, no doubt about that. Some of the supposed serious ones couldn't even make second class upper, let alone the unserious ones. Uniport lecturers also seem to take pride in failing there students, especially Chemistry Dept.

A professor in Civil Engineering Dept once told us that when he was employed newly in Uniport, his first year precisely, he marked his scripts and graded the students with 80% as benchmark for grade A. He, however, afterwards made enquires just to be sure his gradings were accurate, but was told it was 70% instead for grade A. He adjusted the results accordingly and most of the students got A. And when he presented the result to the Senate, they rejected it on the grounds that there were too many grade As in it. Nevertheless, he himself stood his grounds that instead of altering anything in that result he'll better resign. Because he taught the students, set the exams, marked and graded it all by himself hence, what he presented is the true representation of the students' performance. The Senate seeing his determination had to accept the result.

So it seems Uniport as an institution is wired to fail students generally.

Just do your best. The truth is that it is difficult for one or two lecturers to influence the final grade of a student whose cgpa is closer to 5 than 4.5 in the closing years of his studies.

I graduated in 2014.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 2:36pm On Jun 20, 2020
PrinceMon101:

FACULTY OF BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCE
HUMAN ANATOMY
Welcome...
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 2:38pm On Jun 20, 2020
MelaninGold:
I just have this inkling that uniport may not conduct POST UTME this year as a result of the pandemic. What do y'all think?
If UniPort don't conduct PUME,who will? They will conduct, if covid allows it.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by paul100(m): 3:29pm On Jun 20, 2020
dprpikin:

Well, I'm not really in a good position to answer this question, as I had never been in a first class position during my time.

However, there were innuendoes that some lecturers were not happy to see students graduate with first class, because themselves couldn't in there own time. I don't really treat such stories or rumours seriously, so don't take it hook, line and sinkers, it might be untrue. But again, fact is Chemical engineering Dept does not in anyway encourage their students to aim at first class. I could remember in our own time, some students that graduated with first class in other depts were rumoured to have been helped one way or the other by their lecturers. While our own guy who has been on first class from year one couldn't make it eventually. Such is life.

The courses are difficult, no doubt about that. Some of the supposed serious ones couldn't even make second class upper, let alone the unserious ones. Uniport lecturers also seem to take pride in failing there students, especially Chemistry Dept.

A professor in Civil Engineering Dept once told us that when he was employed newly in Uniport, his first year precisely, he marked his scripts and graded the students with 80% as benchmark for grade A. He, however, afterwards made enquires just to be sure his gradings were accurate, but was told it was 70% instead for grade A. He adjusted the results accordingly and most of the students got A. And when he presented the result to the Senate, they rejected it on the grounds that there were too many grade As in it. Nevertheless, he himself stood his grounds that instead of altering anything in that result he'll better resign. Because he taught the students, set the exams, marked and graded it all by himself hence, what he presented is the true representation of the students' performance. The Senate seeing his determination had to accept the result.

So it seems Uniport as an institution is wired to fail students generally.

Just do your best. The truth is that it is difficult for one or two lecturers to influence the final grade of a student whose cgpa is closer to 5 than 4.5 in the closing years of his studies.

I graduated in 2014.
Thanks,i am in my 200level.I wanted to ask you little about your life now since you are done with school like was the degree useful,stuffs like that but you may find it worrisome.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by jcdon06: 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2020
Odiaze:

you have asked this question like a thousand times on this platform, just relax and go write your postutme (wish you best of luck) ,I got a similar jamb score, got 240 in the postutme ,and was admitted on merit... currently in my 3rd year (chemical engineering)
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by ProfChris10(m): 10:25pm On Jun 21, 2020
paul100:

I graduated last year from Chemical Engineering with 2nd class upper, to be sincere, the course is not child's play. Especially from your year 3. We do two projects in final year, your normal final year project and the design project is kind of application of what you have learnt so far. Its a group work. But I don't think the lecturers are to blame. It lies in our hands, because my set produced a first class. The guy truly deserved it. I would say one has to be balanced psychologically, emotionally, spiritually name them. Mine was God's grace because from my year 3, I was very unstable as my dad had issues in his work, it really afftected me psychologically. But all the same, no one will take it as an excuse, I fought hard, studied and came out with a 2.1. But finally anyone that has a poor O level background should not even think of first class in chemical engineering, men, you'll have to do too many reading to meet up. Shalom

1 Like

Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by dprpikin: 10:32pm On Jun 21, 2020
ProfChris10:

I graduated last year from Chemical Engineering with 2nd class upper, to be sincere, the course is not child's play. Especially from your year 3. We do two projects in final year, your normal final year project and the design project is kind of application of what you have learnt so far. Its a group work. But I don't think the lecturers are to blame. It lies in our hands, because my set produced a first class. The guy truly deserved it. I would say one has to be balanced psychologically, emotionally, spiritually name them. Mine was God's grace because from my year 3, I was very unstable as my dad had issues in his work, it really afftected me psychologically. But all the same, no one will take it as an excuse, I fought hard, studied and came out with a 2.1. But finally anyone that has a poor O level should not even think of first class in chemical engineering, men, you'll have to do too many reading to meet up. Shalom

Good to hear you guys had first class.

1 Like

Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by paul100(m): 11:23pm On Jun 21, 2020
ProfChris10:

I graduated last year from Chemical Engineering with 2nd class upper, to be sincere, the course is not child's play. Especially from your year 3. We do two projects in final year, your normal final year project and the design project is kind of application of what you have learnt so far. Its a group work. But I don't think the lecturers are to blame. It lies in our hands, because my set produced a first class. The guy truly deserved it. I would say one has to be balanced psychologically, emotionally, spiritually name them. Mine was God's grace because from my year 3, I was very unstable as my dad had issues in his work, it really afftected me psychologically. But all the same, no one will take it as an excuse, I fought hard, studied and came out with a 2.1. But finally anyone that has a poor O level background should not even think of first class in chemical engineering, men, you'll have to do too many reading to meet up. Shalom
Thanks bro.I appreciate your opinion.I am in 200level and the courses are not really hard.I will try my best.
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Reuben700: 1:24am On Jun 22, 2020
Kimcutie:
This is the Unique University of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread

This thread is mainly for students and aspirants in uniport, but all is welcomed...

Please make yourself known by introducing yourself, your faculty and department, you can also tell us your level(optional).

Welcome to Unique UniPort!
What of pharmacy
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by Kimcutie: 10:09am On Jun 22, 2020
Reuben700:

What of pharmacy
I don't understand your question?
Re: University Of Port Harcourt Nairaland Thread by ProfChris10(m): 8:40pm On Jun 22, 2020
paul100:

Thanks bro.I appreciate your opinion.I am in 200level and the courses are not really hard.I will try my best.
Sure you can. In fact 200level was when I had my best result. I had about 4.54 in first semester.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady, Has Emerged The Best Graduating Student From A University In US. / 3 Quick And Easy Ways To Enter Europe In 2022 (even If You Have Tried Over 10… / Why Anambra Has The Best School Completion Rate Across Basic & Secondary Level N

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.