Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,055 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project (15518 Views)

Converted My Peugeot 407 Coupé V6 From Auto To Stick-shift / My Peugeot 406 V6 Conversion Project To Performance Brakes / Unbelievable Prices Of Naija Used Old VW Beetle, Peugeot 404,505,504(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:16am On Jun 14, 2020
MY PEUGEOT 505 V6 NEW XN1A ENGINE CONVERSION PROJECT.

It's not a secret that I am doing this project/conversion on my 505 V6 manual. As much I love the zippy attitude of the lion with the PRV ZN3J Engine, but I know I have missed the wild aggressive grunt roar and oomph attitudes the XN1 & XN1A carburetor engines possess (including their simplicity), for a very long time, which none of the newer PSA engines have fulfilled for me. So, when my ZN3J water pump started acting up, it gave me opportunity to realize my new excitement with the lion: TIME TO BRING BACK MY OLD-SCHOOL EXCITEMENT TO THE PRESENT. Hence, the New XN1A Engine project.

Since, I know for a fact that I can't get a used XN1A in top good condition to my taste (be it tokunbo/foreign or Nigerian Used), I decided to build or assembly a brand new one from scratch with new OEM or original Aftermarket new parts which are available in Nigeria and other parts of the world. I also have the option to buy a brand new OEM XN1A Engine that comes without accessories and available in Nigeria, but where is the fun if I don't get to enjoy assembling the Engine (pin by pin) the old exciting way? Because even the cost of assembling the new XN1A with OEM/original parts is almost close to the price of new XN1A Engine being offered to me. So, I chose the most exciting route for me: the build (putting my knowledge into action and acquiring more in the process).

So, since my announcement about the project in late January 2020, I have been gathering parts for building the new engine from scratch and below are parts purchased/gotten so far:

1. New set of Rings, Pistons & Liners (OEM - Standard).

2. New Solex Double Barrel Carburetor: 34 - 34 Z1 (OEM).

3. New Crankshaft - 504 GL Model (Aftermarket - Standard).

4. New Engine Head Gasket (Aftermarket - Elring - UK).

5. New Alternator - 50Ah (OEM - Valeo).

6. New Alternator Belt (Aftermarket - Dayco - UK).

7. New Alternator Belt (OEM - For Spare).

8. New Twin/Double Timing Chain (OEM).

9. New Timing Chain Tensioner (OEM).

10. New set of Engine Main Bearings (Aftermarket - Standard).

11. New set of Conrod Bearings (OEM - Standard).

12. New set of Intake Valves (OEM).

13. New set of Exhaust Valves (OEM).

14. New set of Intake Pushrods (OEM).

15. New set of Exhaust Pushrods (OEM).

16. New set of Spark Plugs (OEM).

17. New set of Spark Plug High Tension Leads (OEM).

18. New Camshaft (OEM).

19. New Crankshaft Pulley (OEM - For Alternator, AC & PAS).

20. New Clutch Fork (OEM - For BA 7/5 Gearbox).

21. New Timing Chain Cover (OEM).

22. New Engine Mounts/Mountings (OEM - 2 units).

23. New Distributor/Oil Pump Shaft (OEM).

24. New Engine Oil Pump (Aftermarket - SASIC).

25. New set of Thrust Washer (Aftermarket - Standard).

26. New set of Valve Oil Seals (OEM).

27. New Engine Block (OEM).

27. New XN1A Engine Cylinder Head (OEM).

28. New Water Pump (Aftermarket).

29. New Fuel Pump (Aftermarket).

30. New set/complete Engine Gaskets, excluding Cylinder Head Gasket (Aftermarket).

31. Etc.

More parts will be added/purchased gradually, as soon as I can. Even the Manual gearbox is also going to be a brand new one, including the rear Differential. Will try as much as possible to use new OEM & new original aftermarket parts for the project (at least up to 95% parts). I can't wait for the Lion to roar with the brand new engine.

It's an exciting project that has kicked off already (no timeline and pressure on myself on the project though). There are 3 other projects I am running together with this on my other lions, in terms of performance upgrade (an exciting time or year for me).

For those wondering the fate of the V6 Engine and other V6 components that would be removed from the 505, I am keeping everything pin of them. My intension is to source and convert a Peugeot 504 to a V6 Stick-shift with those V6 components from the 505 when I find a rust-free European Assembly 504 GL/TI or any American Assembly 504 in good body condition (don't care about the mechanicals and electricals, since I won't be needing them anyway). I understand the challenge in getting the listed 504 that the body is rust-free and generally in good condition. I have zero interest in the phase II 504 produced in Nigeria that lacked performance suspension & Braking System set ups that can't handle the way I drive and the power of that V6, especially the rear end (in fact, including the front end).

Aside the 505, I have 2 other Peugeot vehicles (modern ones) that are more powerful than the 505 V6. Those ones will continue to serve the EFI purpose and experience for me, including more newer Lions I will add. But I also want a car with less electrical Control (about 97% mechanicals). My current 505 V6 is a perfect car for that purpose and has given me the opportunity to not only have a pure mechanical car, but also to have a new one in this modern era.

I can't describe how excited I am about this project. Last time I carried out a project like this was in 2004 when I converted a Peugeot 504 GL to Peugeot 505 GL by myself that lasted for about 3 years. It's a kind of creation a man like me would beat his chest in excitement and I acknowledge "I DID THAT!" I am hardcore when it comes to Internal Validation which begets Inner Satisfaction. I live the dreams I desire whenever I am able or have the capacity to live them, following my path of least resistance, unlike most men who are so doubtful and living in self-denial of their desires because they are worried how people might react, what they might say, think, define, invalidate or criticize if they choose to live their dreams when they can afford or be able to.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

15 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:18am On Jun 14, 2020
Qe

2 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:22am On Jun 14, 2020
Et

4 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:24am On Jun 14, 2020
Ui

2 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:26am On Jun 14, 2020
Fg

3 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:27am On Jun 14, 2020
Po

3 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:29am On Jun 14, 2020
Bh

2 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:31am On Jun 14, 2020
Gf

1 Like

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:34am On Jun 14, 2020
Ga

2 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:35am On Jun 14, 2020
Hg

4 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by FirstCounsel(m): 9:41am On Jun 14, 2020
Great guy. I'll keep an eye on this thread as you proceed
Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by uboma(m): 9:42am On Jun 14, 2020
Nice looking Peugeot 505.
Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 9:45am On Jun 14, 2020
I love all my Lions and Proud of my journeys, blissful exhilarating experiences & successes with them.

4 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by dedeorji(m): 10:34am On Jun 14, 2020
I can feel your passion and love for the lion brand �
All your post on the brand I have seen so far ended up resurrecting my love for the brand especially the 406 & 407.
I wouldn't mind paying you a visit if your office is in Lagos.
Keep up the good work, I'm with you all the way.

3 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Internet247(m): 10:38am On Jun 14, 2020
gon be watching this space grin

1 Like

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Alfred74: 10:50am On Jun 14, 2020
So if I get you correctly you will remove the V6 engine and install a 4cylinder engine?

This Coro no reach your side sha.

5 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by ksmart027(m): 11:18am On Jun 14, 2020
Good luck with your adventure.
Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by yungboss(m): 11:29am On Jun 14, 2020
Ikenna351:

It's not a secret that I am doing this project/conversion on my 505 V6 manual. As much I love the zippy attitude of the lion with the PRV ZN3J Engine, but I know I have missed the wild aggressive grunt roar and oomph attitudes the XN1 & XN1A carburetor engines possess (including their simplicity), for a very long time, which none of the newer PSA engines have fulfilled for me. So, when my ZN3J water pump started acting up, it gave me opportunity to realize my new excitement with the lion: TIME TO BRING BACK MY OLD-SCHOOL EXCITEMENT TO THE PRESENT. Hence, the New XN1A Engine project.

Since, I know for a fact that I can't get a used XN1A in top good condition to my taste (be it tokunbo/foreign or Nigerian Used), I decided to build or assembly a brand new one from scratch with new OEM or original Aftermarket new parts which are available in Nigeria and other parts of the world. I also have the option to buy a brand new OEM XN1A Engine that comes without accessories and available in Nigeria, but where is the fun if I don't get to enjoy assembling the Engine (pin by pin) the old exciting way? Because even the cost of assembling the new XN1A with OEM/original parts is almost close to the price of new XN1A Engine being offered to me. So, I chose the most exciting route for me: the build (putting my knowledge into action and acquiring more in the process).

So, since my announcement about the project in late January 2020, I have been gathering parts for building the new engine from scratch and below are parts purchased/gotten so far:

1. New set of Rings, Pistons & Liners (OEM - Standard).

2. New Solex Double Barrel Carburetor: 34 - 34 Z1 (OEM).

3. New Crankshaft - 504 GL Model (Aftermarket - Standard).

4. New Engine Head Gasket (Aftermarket - Elring - UK).

5. New Alternator - 50Ah (OEM - Valeo).

6. New Alternator Belt (Aftermarket - Dayco - UK).

7. New Alternator Belt (OEM - For Spare).

8. New Twin/Double Timing Chain (OEM).

9. New Timing Chain Tensioner (OEM).

10. New set of Engine Main Bearings (Aftermarket - Standard).

11. New set of Conrod Bearings (OEM - Standard).

12. New set of Intake Valves (OEM).

13. New set of Exhaust Valves (OEM).

14. New set of Intake Pushrods (OEM).

15. New set of Exhaust Pushrods (OEM).

16. New set of Spark Plugs (OEM).

17. New set of Spark Plug High Tension Leads (OEM).

18. New Camshaft (OEM).

19. New Crankshaft Pulley (OEM - For Alternator, AC & PAS).

20. New Clutch Fork (OEM - For BA 7/5 Gearbox).

21. New Timing Chain Cover (OEM).

22. New Engine Mounts/Mountings (OEM - 2 units).

23. New Distributor/Oil Pump Shaft (OEM).

24. New Engine Oil Pump (Aftermarket - SASIC).

25. New set of Thrust Washer (Aftermarket - Standard).

26. New set of Valve Oil Seals (OEM).

27. New Engine Block (OEM).

27. New XN1A Engine Cylinder Head (OEM).

28. New Water Pump (Aftermarket).

29. New Fuel Pump (Aftermarket).

30. New set/complete Engine Gaskets, excluding Cylinder Head Gasket (Aftermarket).

31. Etc.

More parts will be added/purchased gradually, as soon as I can. Even the Manual gearbox is also going to be a brand new one, including the rear Differential. Will try as much as possible to use new OEM & new original aftermarket parts for the project (at least up to 95% parts). I can't wait for the Lion to roar with the brand new engine.

It's an exciting project that has kicked off already (no timeline and pressure on myself on the project though). There are 3 other projects I am running together with this on my other lions, in terms of performance upgrade (an exciting time or year for me).

For those wondering the fate of the V6 Engine and other V6 components that would be removed from the 505, I am keeping everything pin of them. My intension is to source and convert a Peugeot 504 to a V6 Stick-shift with those V6 components from the 505 when I find a rust-free European Assembly 504 GL/TI or any American Assembly 504 in good body condition (don't care about the mechanicals and electricals, since I won't be needing them anyway). I understand the challenge in getting the listed 504 that the body is rust-free and generally in good condition. I have zero interest in the phase II 504 produced in Nigeria that lacked performance suspension & Braking System set ups that can't handle the way I drive and the power of that V6, especially the rear end (in fact, including the front end).

Aside the 505, I have 2 other Peugeot vehicles (modern ones) that are more powerful than the 505 V6. Those ones will continue to serve the EFI purpose and experience for me, including more newer Lions I will add. But I also want a car with less electrical Control (about 97% mechanicals). My current 505 V6 is a perfect car for that purpose and has given me the opportunity to not only have a pure mechanical car, but also to have a new one in this modern era.

I can't describe how excited I am about this project. Last time I carried out a project like this was in 2004 when I converted a Peugeot 504 GL to Peugeot 505 GL by myself that lasted for about 3 years. It's a kind of creation a man like me would beat his chest in excitement and I acknowledge "I DID THAT!" I am hardcore when it comes to Internal Validation which begets Inner Satisfaction. I live the dreams I desire whenever I am able or have the capacity to live them, following my path of least resistance, unlike most men who are so doubtful and living in self-denial of their desires because they are worried how people might react, what they might say, think, define, invalidate or criticize if they choose to live their dreams when they can afford or be able to.

Good luck Ikenna,

I wish I can do something like an e30/m52tub28 or b25 upgrade..
Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by alphaNomega: 11:39am On Jun 14, 2020
Ikenna351:

It's not a secret that I am doing this project/conversion on my 505 V6 manual. As much I love the zippy attitude of the lion with the PRV ZN3J Engine...

Abeg what is zippy about this car? angry

1 Like

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by bigx(m): 11:52am On Jun 14, 2020
The type of thread cartalk was setup for.

Is it possible to add costs?
To guide anyone considering same.

9 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by chukel(m): 12:21pm On Jun 14, 2020
Ikenna trying to restore cartalk to what it should be.

10 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by kingreign(m): 12:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
Congratulations on your conversion. Happy conversion.

1 Like

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 12:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigx:

You mean the cost of the parts?

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by bigx(m): 12:56pm On Jun 14, 2020
Ikenna351:

You mean the cost of the parts?

Yes, or at least rough estimate since I know some would have freight and other indirect components.
Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by MOTIONTECH(m): 1:02pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigx:

gbam.

1 Like

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by MOTIONTECH(m): 1:03pm On Jun 14, 2020
chukel:
Ikenna trying to restore cartalk to what it should be.
you said it all.
Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Ikenna351(m): 1:38pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigx:

Yes, or at least rough estimate since I know some would have freight and other indirect components.

I intentionally chose not to include the costs of the parts here, because of what Car Talk has degenerated to for a long time. I decided to not to share some information about my car projects to public place like Car Talk, but only share them to individuals worthy to get them from me privately, with or without conditions.

I have known you for years when Car Talk was still decent (both online & offline), and I have high respect for you (was surprised to see your posts/activity recently on Car Talk). So, I may consider your request since it came from you.

7 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by welgate(m): 10:53pm On Jun 14, 2020
Mr. Ikenna I love your contributions on Nairaland. Your post on Appreciation of ES9J4S V6 Peugeot Engine of 10 January 2016 made me to purchase my Peugeot 407 V6 (ES9A Engine) in July 2016. This is almost 4 years now still enjoying my car, thanks to the maintenance tips given by you.

Please Mr. Ikenna don't be distracted by negative comments people make on contributions made by you. Their are a lot of people like me on nairaland that appreciate what you do and it has gone a long way in helping to keep our Peugeot cars in good shape. Once again thanks a lot for all your priceless contributions.

As for your project/conversion of your Peugeot 505 V6 manual, I am wishing you the best and I will be following you closely to see how it goes.

14 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by afoife: 4:41am On Jun 15, 2020
Following
Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:31am On Jun 18, 2020
Ikenna351:

Numerous calls, messages & emails I receive weekly are request from people asking me to recommend a reliable, trusted and knowledgeable Japanese mechanic/technician in Abuja and other parts of Nigeria. Likewise, majority of Lion owners I have met in Abuja owns Japanese vehicles as well and would always ask me to recommend a good trusted Japanese technician to them for their non lion Vehicles. While kingreign is here having fun with his fingers and losing these prospective clients/customers from me with his insults and mocks. He is too childish to realize or understand what he is doing to himself. I don't even operate automobile workshop and he does (or used to) and need those people more than I do. As a Monk, I am my only responsibility, financially and otherwise. While his financial responsibility will keep increasing since he is married, requiring more money to sustain his new married life. Please, let him enjoy himself.

kingreign, GAZZUZZ and the remaining gang members have ruined Car Talk section with their hate, envy, jelousy and attack on other active or former active members on this section. I wanted to use this thread to share information on how to successfully Convert a Z9 V6 from Auto to Manual, which doesn't exist anywhere online. But they have successfully stopped that from happening. This section would have been the only place in the whole world/online that the information would have existed. What a waste! Just as Jesus said, if you enter a house and they are not interested in the free information you come with, dust your sandals, shut the door behind you and walk away with your peace/information. I am not even a Christian or a religious man, yet I always find my life choices, perspectives or lifestyle a match/similar to that of Christian's God (Jesus Christ). I wonder why.

You got my attention now.

I admire your 505 V6 manual with the PRV ZN3J Engine, it is unique, personally it's the only one I have heard of and I have not had the privilege to come in contact with one.

There are a lot of 505 vehicles across the country, especially in the north of Nigeria, it is a sturdy vehicle, in plateau especially where I partly grew, it was an every day car.

I even have a less than 30,000km engine bought from pan in 1995 in storage somewhere in jos. Engine is in perfect condition. I stripped it out of a Peugeot 504 that had a very bad body, it was the only thing good in the car.

You are about to embark on a project to convert a unique Peugeot 505 v6 to a 4 cylinder with carburettor. That's more like a downgrade but well it's your time and money. Personally I would have left this as it is, gone to the market and bought a 4cylinder 505.

If you were installing a turbo charger or a switching it to diesel or installing a CNG kit that would be nice. Infact it would have been mind blowing if you were making it a sleeper with a V8 engine cheesy .

Uncle monk carry on you are doing well.

Gazzuzz

(What's the Opposite of monk? undecided )

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:35am On Jun 18, 2020
No come back talk say nah because of me you no wan share the knowledge o! I will just enter market and buy 505, remove the engine scatter it, put it back together and document it (YouTube tins) patapata 1 week I don finish (you know I have another life outside NL)

Waiting for your 1 page epistle which I will not respond to.

GAZZUZZ

(What's the opposite of monk? undecided)

8 Likes

Re: My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project by Henryabuja: 9:51am On Jun 18, 2020
GAZZUZZ:
No come back talk say nah because of me you no wan share the knowledge o! I will just enter market and buy 505, remove the engine scatter it, put it back together and document it (YouTube tins) patapata 1 week I don finish (you know I have another life outside NL)

Waiting for your 1 page epistle which I will not respond to.

GAZZUZZ

(What's the opposite of monk? undecided)
What's your problem Mr?

Allow us to enjoy this thread in peace na haba

Google mechanic cheesy cheesy cheesy

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? / Photos: Dangers Of Potholes And How To Handle It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.