Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,495 members, 7,847,033 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:45 AM

Credit Card Fraud - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Credit Card Fraud (1360 Views)

Cashier Caught Sharing Customer's Credit Card Details Via Facetime (photos) / EFCC Re-arraigns American Over $1.2m ‘green Card Fraud’ / Nigerian 'Yahoo' Boy Sentenced To Jail In UK Over Credit Card Fraud. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Credit Card Fraud by Incredible20: 11:44am On Jun 14, 2020
Hello good morning. I've been feeling depressed i jst wanted to know if anything could be done.
I received a debit alert last week of my money (over a million) was removed from my account leaving nothing at all i went to the bank they said someone used my card details to do transaction online nd I can't remember giving anyone my atm card its still in my wallet till now though I've blocked the account. I don't know if i can get a track of the person or still recover my money... I haven't involved the police yet because people are saying nothing can be done. I don't know if anyone can help me out.
Re: Credit Card Fraud by jom28gy(m): 11:53am On Jun 14, 2020
Involved the police,so that they can track it, and commence investigation on the Bank,no smoke without a fire

1 Like

Re: Credit Card Fraud by MummyIMadeIt: 11:57am On Jun 14, 2020
Too bad that you have to spend more to recover your funds. The police I know will want to determine the amount zapped and from their bill you in accordance.

That's how fuucked the Nigeria security system is, but in all I advice you involve both police and efcc.

Sorry for the loss
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Jabioro: 12:04pm On Jun 14, 2020
Petition the bank,it an authorized transaction..get the account number that received the fund.. from the your efforts will be crown
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Simplyleo: 12:12pm On Jun 14, 2020
The bank can track it for you, disturb them very well. Safety of your money is the joint responsibility of you and your bank. The bank should play their part.

If the branches are giving you problem, write to their headquarters, copy the cbn and efcc. They will swing into action.

I have had a similar case, though the amount involved was less than 100k. Not to bother you with stories, my money was recovered. Though I dont know how the efcc finally handled the criminal and I didn't bother to follow up the case. I was too busy for that.

1 Like

Re: Credit Card Fraud by Freestainworld(m): 12:46pm On Jun 14, 2020
don't let the matter down, walk to the bank and demand investigation, if they refuse, sue them
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 14, 2020
Mine was I tried to make withdrawals I will be debited but no cash is forthcoming and my credit card amount will also reduce I'm talking about 45k here.
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Mayng01(m): 4:57pm On Jun 14, 2020
This is one of the reasons why online transaction scares the shit out of me. Please let’s stop clicking links unnecessarily & filling forms unduly & trust nobody with your phones, laptops, and other sensitive tools that has got to do with finances. Sorry for your loss, get police & efcc involved. If you can cope with their demand financially, go ahead & let them flush your money out but if other wise, let it go and get your life back. Heaven will be your strength.
If l may ask, I hope it isn’t access bank?
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Incredible20: 10:02pm On Jun 14, 2020
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Incredible20: 10:04pm On Jun 14, 2020
Mayng01:

If l may ask, I hope it isn’t access bank?
yes it is diamond (access) account
Re: Credit Card Fraud by urchcoded(m): 10:13pm On Jun 14, 2020
I'm sorry nothing can be done. Scammers are not so foolish as to transfer the money to a bank account. It was all used to purchase stuff online. Probably 3 iPhone 11pros. Den Dy sell it and collect the money. Maybe you can look for a way to track the purchase made with your card, then trace the delivery. That will definitely involve the police and you will spend much and your chances of recovering your money is very very low.
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Ahmback(m): 12:49am On Jun 15, 2020
I'm suspecting that bank oo

Re: Credit Card Fraud by xperiencelove(m): 7:55am On Jun 15, 2020
As a software engineer, I will advise everyone to shun online banking in Nigeria till further notice. Anything you can't do in banking hall, USSD transaction, bank mobile App; just ignore it.

Try as much as possible to have a separate account card where you will transfer fund into for online store payment and make sure the store is popular and secured with SSL (google how to know if website or mobile app has SSL)
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Chemicalboy1: 8:08am On Jun 15, 2020
Simplyleo:
The bank can track it for you, disturb them very well. Safety of your money is the joint responsibility of you and your bank. The bank should play their part.

If the branches are giving you problem, write to their headquarters, copy the cbn and efcc. They will swing into action.

I have had a similar case, though the amount involved was less than 100k. Not to bother you with stories, my money was recovered. Though I dont know how the efcc finally handled the criminal and I didn't bother to follow up the case. I was too busy for that.

Bro how did you involve EFCC?
Re: Credit Card Fraud by Emax911: 8:17am On Jun 15, 2020
pls if u use access bank, stop........they r scams....I made account with them even without collecting card, someone tried to log in to my account with acess mobile, I started receiving otps.....stop dat bank
Re: Credit Card Fraud by nedekid: 8:28am On Jun 15, 2020
positivevibez:
Mine was I tried to make withdrawals I will be debited but no cash is forthcoming and my credit card amount will also reduce I'm talking about 45k here.
If it was atm withdrawals you did, your is a minor matter.
Asked for picture evidence from the atm machine showing the money dispensed and you got it.
Very minor matter.
Re: Credit Card Fraud by nedekid: 8:31am On Jun 15, 2020
xperiencelove:
As a software engineer, I will advise everyone to shun online banking in Nigeria till further notice. Anything you can't do in banking hall, USSD transaction, bank mobile App; just ignore it.

Try as much as possible to have a separate account card where you will transfer fund into for online store payment and make sure the store is popular and secured with SSL (google how to know if website or mobile app has SSL)
Do you mean purchased in Nigeria based online sites eg jumia etc? What about aliexpress? Are they safe?
Re: Credit Card Fraud by xperiencelove(m): 9:31am On Jun 15, 2020
nedekid:

Do you mean purchased in Nigeria based online sites eg jumia etc? What about aliexpress? Are they safe?

Aliexpress, Jumia, konga are secured and save but beware of their imposters.
If you are using browser, never click on a link that links to a website where you will pay with your credit card. Instead, write the URL (web address) directly into your browser. E. G. Write www.jumiadotcomdotng directly into your browser if you want to go to Jumia instead of click a link that links to the address. By this, you won't mistakenly click on a link that links to a fraudulent site like Jumiia.com.ng (do you notice the double i instead of one i) that is imposting Jumiadotcomdotng

1 Like

Re: Credit Card Fraud by nedekid: 9:52am On Jun 15, 2020
xperiencelove:

Aliexpress, Jumia, konga are secured and save but beware of their imposters.
If you are using browser, never click on a link that links to a website where you will pay with your credit card. Instead, write the URL (web address) directly into your browser. E. G. Write www.jumiadotcomdotng directly into your browser if you want to go to Jumia instead of click a link that links to the address. By this, you won't mistakenly click on a link that links to a fraudulent site like Jumiia.com.ng (do you notice the double i instead of one i) that is imposting Jumiadotcomdotng
Very educative. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How We Escaped 4rm A Ritualist! / A noticeable pattern / 20-year-old Nigerian Boy Drowns After Jumping Into River Thames

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.