Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa (1098 Views)

Russian Troops Tried To Swim To Shore In Failed River Crossing / Photos Of Giant Crater Left By The 1000kg Bomb That Hit Mariupol Kids Hospital / Man Swims 12 Hours To The Shore After Helicopter Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 15, 2020
An incredibly rare deep sea giant squid, about 14ft long, was found washed up on the shores of Britannia Bay in South Africa.

Jaw-dropping footage was captured of the washed up deep sea beast by eye witnesses showing scale of the 440lb sea monster, which has a beak-like mouth where its tentacles meet.

Giant squid can grow up to 43 feet long, and their terrifying size is thought to have inspired belief in the existence of the kraken, a mythological sea monster.

The footage captured by the eye witnesses, shows the deep sea beast intact with a huge cone-shaped body, enormous eyes – the largest in the animal kingdom – and eight sprawling tentacles.

The large beak-like mouth is used by the marine giant to devour its diet of deep-sea fish and smaller squid species it pulls in with its strong tentacles.

It is very unusual to see a giant squid as the live more than 3,000ft below the surface of the ocean, but we are learning more about them thanks to increasingly sophisticated technology and creatures washed ashore.

Earlier this year the full genome of the mammoth creatures was sequenced for the first time and revealed it had high intelligence not far behind a human.

The mysterious squid, also known as Architeuthius dux, has eyes as big as dinner plates and tentacles that snatch prey from 10 yards away.

Marine biologists at Iziko Museums of South Africa were soon alerted to the giant squid washed ashore and are now preserving the 440lb specimen ready for future study.

Wayne Florence, curator of marine invertebrates, said it was 'rather astounding to see it in the flesh', when asked about the creature.

'We have had major public interest with many people being surprised that giant squid actually exist!'

At this point, it's unclear what led to the creature's demise, but scientists hope to closely study the 14-foot-long squid once coronavirus restrictions ease.

'The cause of death may only be known when we dissect the specimen, after the COVID-19 lockdown is lifted,' said Dr Florence.

'But the specimen was in very good physical condition so I think we can rule out something like trawl damage.

'The specimen is already in the museum holding freezer and we have done preliminary measurements and taken tissue samples for DNA analyses.'

He said the next move will be to bring in an expert squid scientist to dissect the creature and document it scientifically.

This will include studying its genetic makeup and looking for a deeper insight into exactly what caused it to become washed ashore.

After it is dissected and imaged, the squid will be preserved in ethyl alcohol for long term storage in the museum collection.

'We may even decide to put this one on display for the general public in an upcoming exhibition,' said Florence.
Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8414097/Beachgoers-stunned-14-foot-long-giant-squid-washed-shore-South-Africa.html

Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by donbachi(m): 9:20pm On Jun 15, 2020
Bayelsa eeeeh!
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by EzzyCarter: 9:26pm On Jun 15, 2020
"After it is dissected and imaged, the squid will be preserved in ethyl alcohol for long term storage in the museum collection"

Talk about true civilisation. If this had happened in one Particular West African country I won't mention cheesy , a whole multitude would be organising the sharing formula of the squid, dead or alive grin. "Divine provision" as they call it. SMH

4 Likes

Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Artiiclebeast: 9:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
E get luck say no be Nigeria, dem for no see him dead body snap picture.

Na the mark wey e leave for ground dem for dey see.

4 Likes

Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by yudo: 9:28pm On Jun 15, 2020
What
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by GOFRONT(m): 9:29pm On Jun 15, 2020
This one is lucky.....
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Poloyanabo2(m): 9:34pm On Jun 15, 2020
Wow! This is massive!
In a situation like this, Bayelsa comes to mind grin
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by SKhanmi: 9:40pm On Jun 15, 2020
EzzyCarter:
"After it is dissected and imaged, the squid will be preserved in ethyl alcohol for long term storage in the museum collection"

Talk about true civilisation. If this had happened in one Particular West African country I won't mention, a whole multitude of would be organising the sharing formula of the squid, dead or alive grin. "Divine provision" as they call it. SMH

Say Nigeria, nobody will beat you. I doubt they'll be stupid enough to eat this one anyway.
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by EzzyCarter: 9:44pm On Jun 15, 2020
SKhanmi:

Say Nigeria, nobody will beat you. I doubt they'll be stupid enough to eat this one anyway.

grin grin grin
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 15, 2020
Ancient of the days grin

Some foolish Christians could quote me for using that phrase... No just try me o ...
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by obonujoker(m): 9:53pm On Jun 15, 2020
Lol.... How come whales or sharks haven't eaten this squid??
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by PremierGuy(m): 9:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
If this had been Nigeria, the squid parts will be dancing in various peppersoup pots. In South Africa, it is for research purposes to study more about the marine life.

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by micfoley: 10:02pm On Jun 15, 2020
Peeps for wack this one even though dem no know the name
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Vyzz: 10:13pm On Jun 15, 2020
SKhanmi:

What do u mean...

There is nothing we don't eat in this country...

We are basically consumers.....

As I am sure we ain't no producer
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by McGg: 10:28pm On Jun 15, 2020
The squid made a nice destination choice to be South Africa... If the squid had mistakenly chosen nigeria Lala and descendants would have had a nice day mealing on it

1 Like

Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by AmuRubber(m): 11:28pm On Jun 15, 2020
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by AmuRubber(m): 11:29pm On Jun 15, 2020
I'm in shock! shocked
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by BlackfireX: 1:52am On Jun 16, 2020
If it is in Nigeria we would have preserved it well
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Abbeybailey(m): 2:49am On Jun 16, 2020
SKhanmi:

Some people in Nigeria will eat anything. Anyone that eats snakes, monkeys and gorilla will eat anything. So sad some people are that hungry.
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by illicit(m): 9:41am On Jun 16, 2020
Naija go chop am
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Originality007: 11:01am On Jun 16, 2020
if the squid find itself in any Nigerian Shore, na inside person pot u go dey see am grin
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by austine4real(m): 11:34am On Jun 16, 2020
grin grin grin grin

This is pepper soup ooo

I get spoons and plates � �� �

What's the sharing formula
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Righteousness89(m): 11:47am On Jun 16, 2020
It's during the Great Tribulation, when the Wrath of God Almighty is poured on those here that people will see the Kind of unbelievable creatures that exist both on land and sea..

They will all be out to torment and make life unbearable for people!
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Nobody: 2:54am On Jun 17, 2020
Timbers sad
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by Timbers(m): 2:57am On Jun 17, 2020
Booked
Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by seunny4lif(m): 3:35am On Jun 17, 2020
grin
Some Nigerians looking at the location of google map like

Re: Photos Of 14ft-long Giant Squid Washed Up On The Shore In South Africa by TheFacelessMan: 4:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
Many years back, I fought a similar monster...

(1) (Reply)

Ukraine: Russia's Victory Is A Realistic Possibility Says Boris Johnson. / Corrupt Politicians Of Other African Nations: Surprise, Surprise! / How I Went From Hating To Loving Israel And The Jewish People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.