Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Homeless Mom Sentenced To 5 Years, For Using Friends Address To Enroll Her kid - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Homeless Mom Sentenced To 5 Years, For Using Friends Address To Enroll Her kid (461 Views)

University Of Ibadan Lecturer Calls Security On A Student For Using A Skateboard / Nollywood Actor 'AGUBA' Is Homeless (Photos) / Akin Baruwa Jailed 21 Years For Raping Admission Seeker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Homeless Mom Sentenced To 5 Years, For Using Friends Address To Enroll Her kid by Jamesrock(m): 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
A homeless woman from Bridgeport, Connecticut, was sentenced to five years in prison for enrolling her son in a school district where he did not reside.

In 2011, Tanya McDowell wanted a better education for her then 5-year-old son Andrew, and enrolled him in an elementary school in the neighboring town of Norwalk — using her son’s babysitter’s address for registration papers. At the time, she and her son were living out of her van and homeless shelters, and spending nights at an apartment in Bridgeport, the Connecticut Post had reported.

The mother was arrested and charged with first-degree larceny and sentenced to five years behind bars for the “stolen” education, confirmed with PEOPLE by the Newark Courthouse Chief Clerk’s Office.

“Who would have thought that wanting a good education for my son would put me in this predicament?” McDowell, who was also facing drug charges that she later served time for, said in court at the time of her sentencing. “I have no regrets seeking a better education for him, I do regret my participation in this drug case.”

Re: Homeless Mom Sentenced To 5 Years, For Using Friends Address To Enroll Her kid by vastolord4(m): 6:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
Too harsh naa! And this kind of crime is legal in nigeria
Re: Homeless Mom Sentenced To 5 Years, For Using Friends Address To Enroll Her kid by abobote: 9:29pm On Jun 16, 2020
Very harsh judgement, who will now take care of the 5yr old son. Thank God is not a crime over here, I have used fake address so many times, during job search

(1) (Reply)

The Greatest Story On Rape | The Biggest Secrets Why Men Rape / Meet Inioluwa Raji, Named to 2020 MIT Top Innovators Under 35 / Cheapest Spanish Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.