Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,075 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters (77830 Views)

FBI Arrests Many Nigerian Fraudsters In US / White Man In Tears, Was Scammed By Nigerian Fraudsters / Finnish Policewoman Gets Scammed Of N73m By Nigerian Fraudsters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by naptu2: 9:14pm On Jun 16, 2020
The US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo today issued a statement about Nigerian fraudsters. Some people are speculating that he was referring to Hushpuppi and his friends.

U.S. Sanctions Nigerian Cyber Actors for Targeting U.S. Businesses and Individuals

PRESS STATEMENT

MICHAEL R. POMPEO, SECRETARY OF STATE

JUNE 16, 2020

Technological advancements that provide greater interconnectivity also offer greater opportunity for exploitation by malicious actors who target at-risk Americans. Today, in coordination with the U.S. Department of Justice, the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control took action against six Nigerian nationals, pursuant to Executive Order 13694 as amended, for conducting an elaborate online scheme to steal more than $6 million from victims across the United States.

The six individuals designated today manipulated their victims to gain access to their sensitive information and financial resources. The U.S. will not tolerate such gross misuse of technology. The United States will use all of the tools at our disposal to defend the American people and businesses from malign actors that seek to target them, including cyber-enabled actors who prey on vulnerable Americans and businesses.

https://www.state.gov/u-s-sanctions-nigerian-cyber-actors-for-targeting-u-s-businesses-and-individuals/

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by aieromon(m): 9:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:
The US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo today issued a statement about Nigerian fraudsters. Some people are speculating that he was referring to Hushpuppi and his friends.

You can get the full details here
https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm1034

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/20200616.aspx

7 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
Firstly - Cyber crime (yahoo yahoo) can't stop in Nigeria, obviously.

Secondly - There will gradually be more restrictions and harsh treatment on Nigerians all over the world.

Thirdly - Nigeria as a country is currently at the edge of collapse (Economy, Security, Terrorism infact everything...... Everything about Nigeria is going backwards on a fast speed).

In conclusion - The Problem of Nigeria is Nigerians and not only leaders. We are our own problem. Truth is bitter. GREED is in the soul of 99% of Nigerians at the moment.

Solution - This country needs serious prayers, spiritual aide, physical realm can't handle nigeria's issue at the moment. If you can pray, please let us pray, Nigeria's issue is beyond physical, it is grace that we receive that we never collapse, sincerely. Pray for your country!

And for those calling for split, be aware that if that occurs, it can't happen peaceful, people will die. Pray

Nigeria should have ruined a long time, it is the little prayers that is buying time, The spiritual controls the physical. Now, more prayers are needed, sadly, People don't believe in prayers anymore, sincerely, please Pray!

352 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by BelieveinGod1: 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
Hushpuppi
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Eficator: 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
A
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by VirginSearcher(m): 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
Crime is not specific to we Nigerians alone even though I know say we no dey try, however if the system was good it wouldn't have been so bad like this

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Samylekey(m): 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
Some Nigerians just like to drag Nigeria in the mud.

I just hope it doesn't get to a point where countries start refusing Nigerians entry.

Nigerians, we are our own problem. Make una give Nigeria small rep na. Fraud today, Killings tomorrow, bad government, all sort of rubbish full our hands - Other countries no fit respect us if we no respect ourselves first.

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by DenreleDave(m): 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
Thank God no time to abuse igbo or Yoruba

If only Nigerians know the opportunities we are losing as a nation on the internet.
My frnd changed is ip address today and tried assessing online opportunities.. Coman see as opportunities plenty.

The most painful thing is that these opportunities ain't available to Nigerians... Nigerians are barred.. Ordinary south Africans can explore it
Meanwhile our people still praise fraudsters not knowing these people have tarnished our image outside.

I went to bank today to collect western union, just less than 30 dollars oo. Immediately I mentioned WU to the security men, see how they created chance for me among plenty crowd....

They think I am part of those yahoo boys.. Las Las I still settle them o coz they were asking for sumtin.. Anybody dt wants to collect WU is a gee boy for their face.. Chai naija

216 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Onedolar: 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
m
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nigeriabiafra80: 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
In no distance time
,Nigeria will face isolation from other countries cos of increase in internet fraud,most of Nigeria celebrities and big boys
Are into this scam,therefore tarnishing Nigeria image,now I can’t relate with a foreigner with them being suspicious
Each time I travel,I will pass through many security check just Because I possess Nigeria passport
And this tide is growing
And the worst scammer
Having an impostor impersonating your President

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by ndiko: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
This one no be news.

1 Like

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by naptu2: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
PRESS RELEASES

Treasury Sanctions Nigerian Cyber Actors for Targeting U.S. Businesses and Individuals

June 16, 2020

WASHINGTON – Today, in a coordinated action with the U.S. Department of Justice, the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action against six Nigerian nationals for conducting an elaborate scheme to steal over six million dollars from victims across the United States. The individuals designated today targeted U.S. businesses and individuals through deceptive global threats known as business email compromise (BEC) and romance fraud. American citizens lost over $6,000,000 due to these individuals’ BEC fraud schemes, in which they impersonated business executives and requested and received wire transfers from legitimate business accounts. Money was also stolen from innocent Americans by romance fraud, in which the designees masqueraded as affectionate partners to gain trust from victims.

“Cybercriminals prey on vulnerable Americans and small businesses to deceive and defraud them,” said Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin. “As technological advancement increasingly offers malicious actors tools that can be used for online attacks and schemes, the United States will continue to protect and defend at-risk Americans and businesses.”

Malicious actors are exploiting the increased availability of online tools and technology to target at-risk Americans. The six individuals designated today manipulated their victims in order to gain access to usernames, passwords, and bank accounts in furtherance of the scheme. Several of those who engaged in romance fraud used online tools, including social media and email, to further their social engineering tactics.

OFAC closely coordinated with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which today released details regarding its indictment against members of the conspiracy. The FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) receives romance fraud victim reports from all ages, education, and income brackets. However, the elderly, women, and those who have lost a spouse are often targeted.

E.O. 13694 SANCTIONS

Today’s action includes the designation of six individuals pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13694, as amended by E.O. 13757, which targets malicious cyber-enabled activities, including those related to the significant misappropriation of funds or economic resources for private financial gain.

As a result of today’s action, all property and interests in property of the designated persons that are in the possession or control of U.S. persons or within or transiting the United States are blocked, and U.S. persons generally are prohibited from dealing with them.

1 Like

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by janedonez(m): 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
G men are really giving the country bad image

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by martineverest(m): 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
with this current attitude of some Nigerians , innocent Nigerians in.diaspora will find it getting jobs in computer/cyber related companies

in nearest future many countries will start denying Nigerians visa en-masse...debut American visa seekers should brace up....it's going to be hard

#sayNoToCrime

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by dannzy30(m): 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
Hmmn
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by mosegifted: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
Somebody should please tell this man to STFU, check the statistics of black hackers around the world you will see USA and RUSSIAN toping the list, you see this guys hack into people's emails to extract classified information and the rest of them, is there any fraud bigger than that

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Nadaken: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
Without doubt that $6m case is hushpuppi, I guess the full law would be unleashed now that the government has taken stance

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by bright007(f): 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
grin
American visa issuance to Nigerians just got more elusive.

Before they use to give one person in every 20 that visits. Now it will be one in a hundred.

Tueeer!

This country is a sshit hole

8 Likes

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by SILVERLINES: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
cheesy

It baffles me a lot how some guys disguise themselves behind the internet to defraud people of their hard earned money.

Anyways, I closely and thoroughly checked the names and I can clearly says it's the brown roofs region that top the list. It's either skull mining or the other

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Anazp: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by apokan200(m): 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
Awon hush advance fraud �

4 Likes

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Enoch07: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
see them!!!! this people just want to spoil our already destroyed name internationally. who be this uzuh of a guy sef? come enter heaven make I see

16 Likes

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by dewaskillz: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
Honestly anybody still justifying fraud is just stupid and crazy.

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by OPECINHO: 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
T
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Carlyboi(m): 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
Hushpupu no dey here Na....I think America has the weakest and most insecure banking system in the world I mean for a country that owns the Silicon Valley they should be able to do much better...inasmuch you wanna blame these fraudsters soiling our reputation globally as a nation their financial institutions should buckle up and stop making their citizens easy targets...you see 18,19,20 yr old boys without any tangible source of income,no craft,technical or creative skill,no education and no gainful employment riding all around town in Toyota and benzes partly and the old fools are not left out too the mid 20s to late 30s and 40s still engage in cyber and Internet fraud...fools at 40 never do wells due to their Porous American bank info system.The most fitting punishment for this recalcitrant and unrepentant scammers is to seize all the money and properties acquired from their scam trade and restitute to the owners and victims then a 3-6months jail time as first time offenders would suffice whereby the next time you’re caught it’s gonna be 3-6years without no fine or bail option depending on the severity I think that way they’d get it.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Dadaboy: 9:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
grin
Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Inception(m): 9:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ok

Abike Dabiri food don done ooo grin

5 Likes

Re: Mike Pompeo Issues Statement About Nigerian Fraudsters by Owodan(m): 9:23pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

https://www.state.gov/u-s-sanctions-nigerian-cyber-actors-for-targeting-u-s-businesses-and-individuals/
nice move!!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Police Squad Who Tracked Down Vampire And Killed The Notorious Criminal (Pic / 16 Year Old Boy Robs, Rapes 52-Year-Old Woman In Ogun / Why We Killed Three Policemen On Covert Duty "Nigerians Army Revealed" (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.