Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,450 members, 7,850,572 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:07 AM

Christian Idol - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Idol (228 Views)

As A Christian, Is It A Sin To Appease The Idol Of Ur Father's House? / Muslims Are The Ones Who Say That Allah Is An Idol / Who Is Worshiping Idol Now?; Traditionalist Asks As He Shares These Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Idol by davidinchrist(m): 8:35pm On Jun 18, 2020
There are certain good things, some of which are supposed be very good SERVANTS of Man, but sometimes become glorified and idolized by people, including Christians.

In the Old times, God warned people against the Idolatry of images, creatures, etc:

Exod.20.4 - "You SHALL NOT MAKE for yourself a carved image--any likeness of ANYTHING that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

God requires that we worship and serve him ONLY:

Matt.4.10 - Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, "You shall WORSHIP the LORD your God, and Him ONLY you shall SERVE."'

Therefore, IDOLATRY is the LOVE, worship and the SERVING of other things (living or nonliving things).

However, the most common forms of IDOLS or gods especially in Christendom today are not necessarily images and the likes. But things that are LOVED and cherished very much by people. So loved and cherished that God and His kingdom gets CROWDED OUT of people's hearts and minds.

Jesus himself said:
Matt.6.24 - "No one can SERVE TWO MASTERS; for either he will HATE the one and LOVE the other, or else he will be LOYAL to the one and DESPISE the other.

Some of these idols or gods worshipped and served by men, including good and prominent Religious people include:

1. Money/Material things - this is surely one of the greatest idols in the world of all time, which the devil, the god of this world uses to ENSLAVE people. The Bible refers to it as Mammon:

Matt. 6:24b
You CANNOT serve God and MAMMON.

2. People's opinions/approvals: This is yet another great idol, which is the worship of Human Beings and their opinions, honours/glory, praises, acceptance, admirations, flatteries and other POSITIVE reactions:

Gal.1.10 - Obviously, I'm NOT TRYING to be a "people pleaser"! NO, I am trying to PLEASE God. If I were still trying to please people, I WOULD NOT BE Christ's SERVANT.

John.5.41 - "Your approval or disapproval MEANS NOTHING to me,

3. Entertainment/Pleasures: These include Music (like Secular or Christian ROCK), Films (Christian films or not), SPORTS, ETC. These are tools the enemy uses to get people's minds away from God by making them BUSY DOING NOTHING in general:

2Tim.3.4 - They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and LOVE PLEASURE rather THAN God.

If we are serious, we would be seeking God's grace to ESCAPE the traps of this MODERN IDOLATRY in Common Churches, and in the World at large.

2Tim.3.1 - You should also KNOW THIS, Timothy, that in the LAST DAYS there will be very DIFFICULT TIMES.

2Tim.3.2 - For people will LOVE ONLY themselves and THEIR MONEY...
Vs 4...and LOVE PLEASURE rather THAN God.

1Cor.10.14 - Therefore, my beloved, FLEE from IDOLATRY.

May the Lord Jesus bless you.
Re: Christian Idol by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 18, 2020
davidinchrist:
There are certain good things, some of which are supposed be very good SERVANTS of Man, but sometimes become glorified and idolized by people, including Christians.

In the Old times, God warned people against the Idolatry of images, creatures, etc:

Exod.20.4 - "You SHALL NOT MAKE for yourself a carved image--any likeness of ANYTHING that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

God requires that we worship and serve him ONLY:

Matt.4.10 - Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, "You shall WORSHIP the LORD your God, and Him ONLY you shall SERVE."'

Therefore, IDOLATRY is the LOVE, worship and the SERVING of other things (living or nonliving things).

However, the most common forms of IDOLS or gods especially in Christendom today are not necessarily images and the likes. But things that are LOVED and cherished very much by people. So loved and cherished that God and His kingdom gets CROWDED OUT of people's hearts and minds.

Jesus himself said:
Matt.6.24 - "No one can SERVE TWO MASTERS; for either he will HATE the one and LOVE the other, or else he will be LOYAL to the one and DESPISE the other.

Some of these idols or gods worshipped and served by men, including good and prominent Religious people include:

1. Money/Material things - this is surely one of the greatest idols in the world of all time, which the devil, the god of this world uses to ENSLAVE people. The Bible refers to it as Mammon:

Matt. 6:24b
You CANNOT serve God and MAMMON.

2. People's opinions/approvals: This is yet another great idol, which is the worship of Human Beings and their opinions, honours/glory, praises, acceptance, admirations, flatteries and other POSITIVE reactions:

Gal.1.10 - Obviously, I'm NOT TRYING to be a "people pleaser"! NO, I am trying to PLEASE God. If I were still trying to please people, I WOULD NOT BE Christ's SERVANT.

John.5.41 - "Your approval or disapproval MEANS NOTHING to me,

3. Entertainment/Pleasures: These include Music (like Secular or Christian ROCK), Films (Christian films or not), SPORTS, ETC. These are tools the enemy uses to get people's minds away from God by making them BUSY DOING NOTHING in general:

2Tim.3.4 - They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and LOVE PLEASURE rather THAN God.

If we are serious, we would be seeking God's grace to ESCAPE the traps of this MODERN IDOLATRY in Common Churches, and in the World at large.

2Tim.3.1 - You should also KNOW THIS, Timothy, that in the LAST DAYS there will be very DIFFICULT TIMES.

2Tim.3.2 - For people will LOVE ONLY themselves and THEIR MONEY...
Vs 4...and LOVE PLEASURE rather THAN God.

May the Lord Jesus bless you.
Christians will ALWAYS confuse and contradict themselves.

Even worshipping of Jesus (mere human that God created) is a sin and it is IDOLATRY.
Re: Christian Idol by davidinchrist(m): 9:02pm On Jun 18, 2020
FuckTheWorld:

Christians will ALWAYS confuse and contradict themselves.

Even worshipping of Jesus (mere human that God created) is a sin and it is IDOLATRY.

Friend, maybe this is not for you too:

Matt.11.16 - "But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions,

Matt.11.17 - and saying: "We played the flute for you, And you did not dance; We mourned to you, And you did not lament.'

Goodbye.
Re: Christian Idol by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jun 18, 2020
davidinchrist:

Friend, maybe this is not for you too:

Matt.11.16 - "But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions,

Matt.11.17 - and saying: "We played the flute for you, And you did not dance; We mourned to you, And you did not lament.'

Goodbye.
What sense does all these nonsense mean?

You have derailed from the topic.
Re: Christian Idol by davidinchrist(m): 3:14pm On Jun 19, 2020
1 John 5:17,21 KJV
All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

[21] Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
Re: Christian Idol by davidinchrist(m): 10:44pm On Jun 21, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Religious Group Joins CAN To Pressure Govt To Ban The Song CLOSER By Der Allison / Don't Skip! / A Partner That Chases After God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.