Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,770 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) (42383 Views)

70-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Sitting On A Nest Of Eggs Found In China (Photos) / 110-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur's Last Meal Found Preserved In It's Stomach (Pics) / Rare Dinosaur That Roamed Antarctica 110 Million Yrs Ago Found In Australia (Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jun 18, 2020
Australia's 'Badass' T-Rex: How Queensland was once home to a terrifying predator dinosaur who was BIGGER than a tyrannosaurus

Ancient dinosaur footprints stumbled upon by coal miners in Queensland prove that a huge dinosaur larger than the average Tyrannosaurus Rex once roamed through the region's swampland, a local palaentologist says.

The footprints, that measure up to 80cm in length, were discovered by miners in the 1950s and 1960s but were only recently studied by scientists at the University of Queensland.

Head researcher and paleontologist Dr Anthony Romilio told Daily Mail Australia he had no idea why such significant fossils had not been analysed before.

'This is the largest footprint that we have of a meat-eating dinosaur,' he said.

'(The footprint) is 80cm in length which translates to ten metres in (body) length from snout to tail tip, and to put that into perspective the largest known T-Rex was between 12 and 13 metres.'

While the dinosaur described as 'badass' by Dr Romilio does not officially have a name, the fossilised footprints are known as kayentapus.

Dr Romilio said the consistently large size of the footprints proved the animal was one of the largest predatory dinosaurs in the world and was even larger than an average T-Rex.

While the largest discovered T-Rex remains had measured 12-13 metres long and were estimated to have weighed just under 10 tons, the average of the species was a little over half that size.

'If you were to put a saddle on its back you would be about 3.5 metres off the ground,' Dr Romilio said of the Australian-discovered creature.

'We do have other fossils of meat-eating dinosaurs but they range from about the size of a chicken to the size of cattle,' he said.

Not only was the dinosaur huge but they were also fast, allowing them to chase down their herbivore prey with ease.

Some of these really big dinosaurs would be running at about 35km/h,' he said.

'The average speed of a person is about 25km/h so you really need to be bold if you approach one of these guys.'

The footprints or tracks are aged between 165 and 151 million-years-old placing them in the latter part of the Jurassic Period.

Dr Romilio said the footprints were imprinted into swamp land before they were discovered millions of years later on the ceiling of underground coal mines near Ipswich and Toowoomba, west of Brisbane.

Dr Romilio said there is a lot that can be learned from footprints alone and it allowed researchers to map out significant details of the animal accurately.

'We can learn the type of dinosaur in the area, you can see how fast or slow the animal is moving, are they in a heard and what they eat,' he said.

Due to the vast amount of footprints that were studied, Dr Romilio said researchers were able to better understand the animals that made up the ecosystem millions of years ago.

He now hopes the footprints will result in the eventual discovery of a full skeleton that would give palaeontologist considerable incite into what is believed to be Australia's largest meat eating dinosaur.

'I guess they are just still buried and waiting to be discovered by some lucky person,' he said.

'Hopefully someone can find it for me so I can and do some research.'

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8433949/Dinosaur-larger-T-Rex-discovered-Queensland-dug-miners.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Eife(m): 11:57pm On Jun 18, 2020
cool

If only we could time travel, that way we will know more than we do now

7 Likes

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Vyzz: 12:15am On Jun 19, 2020
Atheist say there is no God.... That the Bible isn't proof enough to make them believe there is a supreme being called GOD.....

How would they want theist to believe ịn this with little proof.....?

Modified:

First of all, u guys quoting me are annoying... U can prove ur point without insults.. My comment isn't insulting...

I didn't say I was either an atheist or a theist here... But both of them have what the hold as evidence that what the believe exist... So u can't call the other dumb because u think u are wiser...

At the end of the day which would be a very long day

You might be wrong

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by DenreleDave(m): 1:03am On Jun 19, 2020
This one isn't no dinosaur foot..

This one is a forest duck foot usually giant in nature.. One exist currently in Ebonyi state

Memories: :

I remember then in 1928, there was a war between dinosaurs and humans.. They wanted to be king in Northern Europe but we fought it off.. I lost my grand father in that war....

Guys, if you see a dinosaur for real life, u go fear ooo. Very big and scary but then we were so brave that we fought over 100s of dinosaur which led their extinction..

Recently, I heard some dinosaur still exist, I doubt if this current generation can fight a dinosaur

52 Likes

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by sylve11: 11:52am On Jun 19, 2020
In as much i have little doubt about the discoveries of science because i ain't a scientist, it's good to note that nothing has such power to broaden the mind as the ability to investigate systematically and truly all that comes under thy observation in life.

Nice one @ the scientists. cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Slawormir: 11:53am On Jun 19, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

All these people ehnnnn
Just do small data collection and analysis
Come begin dey interpret nonsense

Na so them use different jurrasic movie take dirsturb us that year

Jurassic world ( the fallen kingdom)
Jurassic world ( Dominion)
Jurrasic park
Jurassic park ( the lost world)
Jurassic park 3

I still dey wait for more dinosaurs movie

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Savagethe21st(m): 11:53am On Jun 19, 2020
I just checked the number of viewers of this post...seems ppl are indifferent about Neanderthal discoveries which maybe misconcepted from something else

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by whytediamond(m): 11:53am On Jun 19, 2020
They have come again.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by oluwaseyi0: 11:53am On Jun 19, 2020
Just one print is not enough

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by henry4991(m): 11:53am On Jun 19, 2020
Is ok
Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by jasent(m): 11:53am On Jun 19, 2020
When will this people stop disturbing us with this nonsense of millions of years?when was the earth created biko?

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Abluvs9ja: 11:54am On Jun 19, 2020
These people have come again grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Dpharisee: 11:54am On Jun 19, 2020
In years to come the footprints of the APC Chinese Covid19 team that came to Nigeria with fanfare but disappeared quietly will be discovered cool

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by joviegghead: 11:54am On Jun 19, 2020
Hmm.
Still waiting a very reliable source on the complete history of the earth. Meanwhile, one book says the earth was by the word of mouth of a greater being. Funny. Very funny.
Tired of speculations.
Moving on please.
Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by bknight: 11:54am On Jun 19, 2020
My curiosity is why there has been a sudden surge of discoveries within the past 1-2years?..

I don't trust all these 'discoveries' undecided

2 Likes

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Bobotic(m): 11:54am On Jun 19, 2020
Dinasour is it our current problems?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by canDy4eva(f): 11:55am On Jun 19, 2020
Oh my...

How did they know how long

Na wa!

1 Like

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Timi141: 11:55am On Jun 19, 2020
Waiting for the science deniers and my earth is only 2000 years old crew.
"How can they know, were they there?".
Una well done.
Nigeria will surely get there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by nanizle(m): 11:55am On Jun 19, 2020
DenreleDave:
This one isn't no dinosaur foot..

This one is a duck foot

Yes. A giant duck grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by itsIYKE(m): 11:55am On Jun 19, 2020
Vyzz:
Atheist say there is no God.... That the Bible isn't proof enough to make them believe there is a supreme being called GOD.....

There is God and you are it, whether you see it or not whether you believe it or not

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Equity15(m): 11:55am On Jun 19, 2020
this dinosaur people don start again..they have been in the news lately.. kilode? thier own no dey pass millions..dem Dom turn naija politician ni?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Dpsychologist: 11:55am On Jun 19, 2020
And how do they know its a dinosaur? Hmmm

3 Likes

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Hypocrit: 11:55am On Jun 19, 2020
ok
Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Buliwyf: 11:55am On Jun 19, 2020
Science deniers will flood here now

Vyzz:

First, you are very ignorant. The existence and proof of dinosaurs have nothing to do with atheism. There are both theistic and atheistic paleontologists.

Secondly, this dinosaur foot is a hundred times more real than your Abrahamic god. If there is a God, it certainly isn't the one that creates humans then puts a fruit they aren't supposed to eat in the same garden with them even though he is omniscient and knows they will eventually eat it.
And when the humans inadvertently ate the fruit he knew they would eat, he got angry and instead of forgiveness and resetting the system he decided to sacrifice himself to himself but not before impregnating an unsuspecting virgin. Later the same god got angry because his angels came down to have a piece of the fine big human asses too.
Then later even after the sacrifice many people were still doing evil so he sent a thousand teachers to create a thousand conflicting teachings and denominations to further confuse and cause rancour within humans even though he is omnipotent and can appear in the sky and to everybody at the same time to set the record straight and stop all the divisions because he loves us all so much and would not want to see us perish. But, no, he chose the most ineffective and silly way possible and left us at the mercy of human vagaries and bias.

At least scientists can give us proof. There is carbon dating and different strata of soil to back them up. They also gave us planes and the phones you insignificant entities use to attack them. If we ask you to show us a proof of your god now you will be telling us stories that cannot be backed up in history. Just fairytales that even the Jews in Israel, whose goat-herding ancestors started the story, take as cultural anecdotes mostly.

Your god does not exist. Just fairytales stubbornly held on to by people under great economic burdens and deprivation.

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Udosky1666: 11:56am On Jun 19, 2020
So watin make we do now?
Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Righteousness89(m): 11:56am On Jun 19, 2020
There are lots of creatures that are here on Earth with us both in water and on land that are yet to be seen..

In Course of the Endtime happenings that will be on Earth, they will come out in the open..

When u read the Bible and see the description of certain creatures, it's scary!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by PussyKing(m): 11:56am On Jun 19, 2020
sad Fake

2 Likes

Re: Coal Miners Discover 160-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Footprints In Australia (Pix) by Balenciagaokey: 11:56am On Jun 19, 2020
sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Strawberry Super Moon Lite Up The Night In Spectacular Pics Frm Around The World / Mutant, One-Eyed Albino Baby Shark Found In Indonesia (Pictures) / How To Build A Quadcopter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.