Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,220 members, 7,811,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics (92755 Views)

This Alaskan Road Was Repaired Under 4 Days After Being Destroyed By Earthquake / Man Eating Breakfast While Hanging On A Moving Bus In Lagos (Photos) / Lebanese Female Police Officers In Mini-Shorts To Attract Tourists (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Explorers(m): 1:22pm On Jun 21, 2020
* In 1946, the bus was abandoned by construction workers just west of Teklanika River, Alaska.

* The 1940s-era bus was made famous by 24-year-old adventurer Chris McCandless who died in it during 1992 summer.

A 1940s-era bus where a 24-year-old adventurer starved to death in the Alaskan wilderness has been removed after tourists died while trying to reach it.

A US Army helicopter, Chinook airlifted the vehicle from the spot just west of the Teklanika River, where it had been left to rust for more than half a century.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8438959/Abandoned-bus-famous-Into-The-Wild-removed-Alaskan-authorities.html

34 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Explorers(m): 1:23pm On Jun 21, 2020
The bus was made famous by Into The Wild, a book and film that told the story of Chris McCandless' death after he lived inside it for 114 days during the summer of 1992.

Its removal on Thursday came after the state was called to 15 bus-related search and rescue operations between 2009 and 2017, according to the Department of Natural Resources.

The bus was blamed for encouraging risky hikes as adventurers crossed dangerous terrain trying to find it.

Two travelers died after drowning while on their way to the vehicle in separate incidents in 2010 and 2019, officials said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8438959/Abandoned-bus-famous-Into-The-Wild-removed-Alaskan-authorities.html

35 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Explorers(m): 1:24pm On Jun 21, 2020
Written in 1996 by Jon Krakauer, Into The Wild told a version of 24-year-old Chris McCandless' story.

In 1990 the adventurer graduated, gave his $24,500 college fund to Oxfam, cut communication with his parents and began a journey of thousands of miles across Western US.

At one point early in his journey McCandless crossed the border into Mexico before hiking back into the US.

At Lake Mead he was forced to abandon his car after it got caught in a flash flood, and he labored for months as a grain elevator before hitchhiking more than 3,000 miles to Alaska.

In December 1991, McCandless arrived at Slab City, in the Imperial Valley, and met Tracy Tatro (pictured, played by Kristen Stewart), a teenage girl who showed interest in McCandless, but he rejected her because she was underage.

McCandless headed down the trail with only 10 pounds (4500 g) of rice, a .22 caliber rifle, several boxes of rifle rounds, a camera, and a small selection of reading materialincluding a field guide to the region's edible plants.

He had planned to hike to the coast but the boggy terrain of the summer proved too difficult, and he decided instead to camp in a derelict bus left by a construction company.

In July, 1992, he tried to leave after realizing his life would be better with others in it, only to find the route blocked by a snow-melt raging river.

He died sometime around the week of August 18, 1992, after surviving more than 100 days on edible roots and berries, as well as an assortment of game.

Two weeks after his death, his body was found by moose hunters.

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Explorers(m): 1:24pm On Jun 21, 2020
A film adaptation was released in September 2007, directed by Sean Penn and starring Emile Hirsch as McCandless.

This pushed many to hike the dangerous route to the abandoned bus.

The bus was airlifted away on Thursday, 18th June, 2020 for safety of tourists.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Ugaboy: 1:25pm On Jun 21, 2020
The would bring the bus to nigeria museum
Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Meatballs(m): 1:25pm On Jun 21, 2020
It should be placed in another place naa

at least it will serve as a tourist center

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by pyyxxaro: 1:25pm On Jun 21, 2020
Oyibo people too like adventure

257 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Betakeshi: 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2020
wow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Meatballs(m): 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2020
But how did the bus get there

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by philip0906(m): 1:29pm On Jun 21, 2020
Make I no lie, Oyinbo people dey burst person head atimes.

Their curiosity is out of this world. Like I can imagine a black man, dying while trying to reach a bus left in the wilderness, when no be say him papa leave generational wealth for there.

672 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Ironman3(m): 1:32pm On Jun 21, 2020
How
Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Enoch07: 1:36pm On Jun 21, 2020
some people can be funny sha, adventure that will kee me omo I will not embark I'm a black man jare

26 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by hammed71(m): 1:52pm On Jun 21, 2020
what is life without adventures

12 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Adeyinka12(m): 1:55pm On Jun 21, 2020
This one use stryle deep sha
Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by luminouz(m): 2:03pm On Jun 21, 2020
Deep....

My love for adventure is second to none but ritual killers, herdsmen and now covid-19 no let person pass him boundary.

173 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by tillaman(m): 2:38pm On Jun 21, 2020
Cool, just saw the movie sef it’s quite interesting
Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by blessedchild234(m): 2:49pm On Jun 21, 2020
Is this a video game scene?

2 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by flyca: 2:53pm On Jun 21, 2020
Meatballs:
Read! At least Line 1!

240 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by motherlode: 2:58pm On Jun 21, 2020
At least, no more soul will be risked for this but the game of adventure has been sabotaged.

However, this should be placed in a strategic museum.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by kenny714433(m): 3:04pm On Jun 21, 2020
That's why it's called "Adventure". It's risky and the risks makes it more fun for the adventurers.

I remember what happened to me after reading King Solomon's mine. Damn! A book that told horrifying journey into a dessert just to discover a mine filled with diamonds. Most of the characters died due to thirst and snow.

I smiled, decided to become the next adventurer. Since my place is quite near to blue river of Azumini, Abia state, I considered the river.

The lush vegetation and crystal blue river made the place resemble Caribbean sea. "Oh! Capt. Jack Sparrow d second is here" I boasted to all those who cared to listen.

As I stepped into the cold blue river, it gave me a scintillating and sweet feelings. Little did I know that my egungun is already dancing to the express and my village people won't stop the drum.

One small boy pushed me inside to check my skills and even ran away bcoz they were playing pursue game. I tried screaming for help, the more I did the more gulp I took. I fell like lead and was lucky to push my legs against the river floor.

A hand picked my collar and dragged me back to life. Instead of those little imps to feel sorry, they burst into uncontrollable laughter.

Na so swimming take end for me. Till today the only water I love is the one inside cup. My eyes red as if I smoke expired weed.

When I arrived home, I wrote in my diary "Today I survived shipwreck and was marooned in the island of blue sea. And my next adventure will be in the Bermuda.

513 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by punisha: 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2020
See better molue dey waste.

16 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by chariisGRACE(m): 3:43pm On Jun 21, 2020
Very jagajaga set of people.

Las las na to snap picture with the bus o.

Na Museum the bus dey go so. serious money.

10 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by sgtmark(m): 4:30pm On Jun 21, 2020
I dey come, wink wink
Make I help dem arrange buyer's from Owode-onirin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by ReneeNuttall(f): 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2020
So he just jejely sacrificed his life willingly to nature in the name of adventure? No wife no child nothing nothing. he didn't even carry enough food or at least a adevice that can be used to track him. Wtf!

4 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by oglalasioux(m): 4:50pm On Jun 21, 2020
Meatballs:

You even had to bold your question to announce it very well that you don't read.

43 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Flexherbal(m): 5:06pm On Jun 21, 2020
kenny714433:
That's why it's called "Adventure". It's risky and the risks makes it more fun for the adventurers.

I remember what happened to me after reading King Solomon's mine. Damn! A book that told horrifying journey into a dessert just to discover a mine filled with diamonds. Most of the characters died due to thirst and snow.

I smiled, decided to become the next adventurer. Since my place is quite near to blue river of Azumini, Abia state, I considered the river.

The lush vegetation and crystal blue river made the place resemble Caribbean sea. "Oh! Capt. Jack Sparrow d second is here" I boasted to all those who cared to listen.

As I stepped into the cold blue river, it gave me a scintillating and sweet feelings. Little did I know that my egungun is already dancing to the express and my village people won't stop the drum.

One small boy pushed me inside to check my skills and even ran away bcoz they were playing pursue game. I tried screaming for help, the more I did the more gulp I took. I fell like lead and was lucky to push my legs against the river floor.

A hand picked my collar and dragged me back to life. Instead of those little imps to feel sorry, they burst into uncontrollable laughter.

Na so swimming take end for me. Till today the only water I love is the one inside cup. My eyes red as if I smoke expired weed.

When I arrived home, I wrote in my diary "Today I survived shipwreck and was marooned in the island of blue sea. And my next adventure will be in the Bermuda.

Hmmmmm!

Would you believe that I read your story to the end?

50 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Elimon(m): 5:29pm On Jun 21, 2020
Africa itself is here today because of peoples efforts and crazy ideas about adventuresand explorations of the wild..the unknown..
please lets take a of silence for those who died on crazy adventures to make the world what it is today

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Elimon(m): 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2020
Africa itself is here today because of peoples efforts and crazy ideas about adventuresand explorations of the wild..the unknown..
please lets take a moment of silence for those who died on crazy adventures to make the world what it is today

2 Likes

Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Gosj01(m): 5:52pm On Jun 21, 2020
Reading
Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 21, 2020
Make I siddon here just in case
Re: Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics by venmotors(m): 7:54pm On Jun 21, 2020
kenny714433:

U will make a gud writer
Wow

54 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos) / Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / Dead Bodies From The Helicopter Crash In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.