Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,697 members, 7,809,635 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? (2128 Views)

Arnado Debbo: Adamawa Community Where Only Women Can Rule (photo) / The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / Abiku And Emere; How Pregnant Women Can Avoid Them The Yoruba Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 8:44am On Jan 28, 2011
Can women have it all or something has to give?

Can they have the Family, Relationship, Youthful spinster fun, Career and Education? Or is it a failed Western theoretical conceptualization?

If you think they can, how? What is the right strategy? At what stages in life is optimal and practical as there are natural challenges?

Do you have it all? Or you have decided it is an illusion and picked they ones you cherished the most and sacrificed the other(s)?
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by amikpongnd: 9:08am On Jan 28, 2011
women can have all lying down,they loss everything when they stand up to the men

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by amikpongnd: 9:10am On Jan 28, 2011
can I find a naija wife who can cope with a messed up man.The experiences of the past are terrible but I believe there is love somewhere waiting.H
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by dayokanu(m): 9:00pm On Jan 28, 2011
I would be watching this space
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by ifyalways(f): 9:52pm On Jan 28, 2011
Do men have it all,Dayo,Oga space watchman,im asking u?
@Topic,who determines and decide my definition of all? I have all i need and want,expecting more!.i have come to realize that what I, years back saw as/thought to be  all were shadows that exist only in la la land.I have since slapped myself back to reality,adjusted my lens to accommodate more and eliminate some,sacrificed here n there to get the all I really need.IMO,anyone regardless of the sex sitting down to wait till he/she gets it all might end up getting none and losing all.
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by dayokanu(m): 9:53pm On Jan 28, 2011
Ify,

Where is my wife?
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by ifyalways(f): 10:03pm On Jan 28, 2011
Abeg no be me and u go derail Shagamu man thread.Which wife?The one wey u wan marry with IOU shocked ,she dey better man house now,expecting her first set of Ibejis.
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 3:35pm On Jan 29, 2011
[size=18pt]What women really want: To marry a rich man[/size]

Women still want to marry men who are better educated and earn more money than them, a report finds today.

The idea that women dislike being financially dependent on men is a myth, with more choosing to “marry up” now than did so in the 1940s, according to Dr Catherine Hakim from the London School of Economics.

After decades of gender equality campaigning many women now find it hard to admit that they want to be a housewife more than they want a successful career of their own, she said.

The study comes after the Coalition announced a series of measures intended to narrow the pay gap between men and women.

Lynne Featherstone, the Liberal Democrat equalities minister, said large companies could be forced to declare how much more they pay men and announced that firms would be able to use “positive action” to recruit new staff from under-represented groups for the first time.

However, Dr Hakim criticised David Cameron for backing the idea of quotas to ensure that more women gain seats on the boards of leading companies. Men dominate top positions because many women simply do not want long careers in business, she said.

Despite 40 years of reforms to promote gender equality at work, a woman’s financial dependence on a man “has lost none of its attractions”, she said.

In a 52-page report published by the Centre for Policy Studies think tank, Dr Hakim continued: “Women’s aspiration to marry up, if they can, to a man who is better-educated and higher-earning, persists in most European countries.

“Women thereby continue to use marriage as an alternative or supplement to their employment careers.”

Dr Hakim’s research drew on an extensive review of existing studies from around the world, census data, and national surveys conducted in Britain and Spain.

An analysis of figures for Britain shows that in 1949, 20 per cent of women married husbands with significantly higher levels of education than their own.

By the late 1990s, the proportion of women who were “marrying up” had almost doubled to 38 per cent. Similar patterns are seen across much of Europe, the US and Australia.

The widely promoted goal of “symmetrical family roles”, with men and women sharing child-care, housework and employment, is popular among a highly educated, professional elite. But it is “not the ideal sought by most couples”, the report said.

“It is thus not surprising that wives generally earn less than their husbands, and that most couples rationally decide that it makes sense for her to take on the larger share of childcare, and use most or all the parental leave allowance.”

Dr Hakim said many women did not want to “admit” that they were looking for a higher earning partner. They even keep the fact secret from the men they are dating, she said.

“It has become impossible to say ‘I wouldn’t mind being a housewife,’” she said. “It is so politically incorrect that a lot of women don’t want to admit it.”

The report said that the “war” for equal opportunities between men and women was now over in the UK.

The gap in pay between the two sexes has fallen from about 30% in the 1970s to as low as 10% today. Women do now have an equal opportunity to find work, but choose different priorities for their lives.

The report said it was wrong for politicians to expect that equal opportunities would result in equal numbers of women as men in particular jobs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8237298/What-women-really-want-to-marry-a-rich-man.html
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by armyofone(m): 4:35pm On Jan 31, 2011
undecided
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by dayokanu(m): 5:16pm On Jan 31, 2011
Now the truth is out.

Why do women prefer to marry people richer? Do they mean there cant be love to poorer people.

The concept of gold digging still prevails among females
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by iice(f): 5:28pm On Feb 01, 2011
Having it all depends on what you mean by all, person to person.
Do i have it all? Based on my needs and wants, not yet. Just a thing or two not yet achieved.
Did my mother have it all. Yes. She's a formidable woman. She was the richer one as my grandmother is but they both married men of strength, character and understanding, who in the end made themselves what they are today.
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 7:55pm On Feb 01, 2011
iice:

Having it all depends on what you mean by all, person to person.
Do i have it all? Based on my needs and wants, not yet. Just a thing or two not yet achieved.
Did my mother have it all. Yes. She's a formidable woman. She was the richer one as my grandmother is but they both married men of strength, character and understanding, who in the end made themselves what they are today.

They both did not have to sacrifess anything?

Their careers? Their advanced education? They did not have to do majority of the housework? Their beauty did not fade drastically in their 30s/40s from what it used to be because of responsibilities and [delayed age of] child birth?
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by iice(f): 5:01am On Feb 02, 2011
Sagamite:

They both did not have to sacrifess anything?

Their careers? Their advanced education? They did not have to do majority of the housework? Their beauty did not fade drastically in their 30s/40s from what it used to be because of responsibilities and [delayed age of] child birth?

Nope. Well my grandmother didn't work as pa in her time, women stayed at home.
My mother started working right from high school till she graduated uni. Even when she married my dad, he told her to stay home, she refused. Said she's not used to that and would get bored. So he let her. She retired but my mama still doesn't rest. She na business woman till now grin As for housework, she did majority of it. I used to think she was invincible because she rarely gets sick even as she seemed to do it all. And my mom at her age passes for early 30s. She takes care of herself, has always been a healthy eater. Only crow's feet around her eyes. . .probably has to do with genetics but she has like 8 younger siblings and she looks younger than all of them. As for childbearing, it wasn't delayed.
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 11:31am On Feb 02, 2011
iice:

Nope.  Well my grandmother didn't work as pa in her time, women stayed at home. 
My mother started working right from high school till she graduated uni.  Even when she married my dad, he told her to stay home, she refused.  Said she's not used to that and would get bored.  So he let her.  She retired but my mama still doesn't rest.  She na business woman till now grin As for housework, she did majority of it.  I used to think she was invincible because she rarely gets sick even as she seemed to do it all.  And my mom at her age passes for early 30s.  She takes care of herself, has always been a healthy eater.  Only crow's feet around her eyes. . .probably has to do with genetics but she has like 8 younger siblings and she looks younger than all of them.  As for childbearing, it wasn't delayed.

She is a Superwoman then.

If she has a good relationship with her man, got her qualifications soughted, worked when she wanted to, had kids on time and did not face health risks, still looked reasonably hot, and she raised good kids minus one (Note: I am talking of only your siblings as being good because I can vouch for them, but not you, though I will not judge her based on you, the reasons for you na different case. tongue)

Well done by her. She is a minority it appears.

Your grandmother had to sacrifice.
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by iice(f): 5:23pm On Feb 02, 2011
Sagamite:

She is a Superwoman then.

If she has a good relationship with her man, got her qualifications soughted, worked when she wanted to, had kids on time and did not face health risks, still looked reasonably hot, and she raised good kids minus one (Note: I am talking of only your siblings as being good because I can vouch for them, but not you, though I will not judge her based on you, the reasons for you na different case. tongue)

Well done by her. She is a minority it appears.

Your grandmother had to sacrifice.

Lol yes oo Superwoman.
Come ooo. I'm a good kid grin The bestest sef tongue
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 12:53pm On Feb 03, 2011
iice:

Come ooo. I'm a good kid grin The bestest sef tongue

Yeah right!

We all know the truth! grin
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 12:56pm On Feb 03, 2011
[size=18pt]Don't wait too long for a baby: Women are SIX times more likely to suffer from fertility problems when 35 than at 25
[/size]

Doctors have issued a stark warning to couples not to leave it too late to try for a baby.

With more and more women pursuing careers, they and their partners are leaving parenthood to at least their late thirties.

But women aged 35 are six times more likely to have problems conceiving compared to those ten years younger, warns a major study from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.

The report says older parents are making it harder for themselves to have children – and increasing the likelihood of serious medical complications for both mother and baby.

By the age of 40, a woman is more likely to have a miscarriage than give birth.

Men’s fertility also declines rapidly from the age of 25 and the doctors estimate that the average 40-year-old takes two years to get his partner pregnant – even if she is in her twenties.

The report is a clear and authoritative wake-up call on the dangers of late parenthood. However, increasing numbers of couples are doing just that without properly understanding the consequences – and the risks.

Separate figures show that the number of mothers giving birth after their 40th birthday has trebled in the last 20 years.

Almost 27,000 babies were born to mothers over 40 last year compared to with 9,336 in 1989.

The doctors insist women should be given clear reminders that ‘the most secure age for childbearing remains 20 to 35’.

Up to 30 per cent of 35-year-olds take longer than a year to get pregnant, compared to only 5 per cent of 25-year-olds, according to the figures in the report by the Royal College.

The research, which looked at several major studies on fertility, also shows that the average childbearing age has risen from 23 in 1968 to 29.3 today.

Expectant mothers in their late thirties and forties are far more likely to suffer complications such as pre-eclampsia, ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage or stillbirth and they are also more likely to need a Caesarean.

Babies born to them are more likely to be premature, smaller or have Down’s Syndrome and other genetic disorders.

Doctors warn that government campaigns to cut teenage pregnancy and boost contraception uptake may have resulted in young people thinking they can delay parenthood indefinitely.

They also say that IVF has given women a ‘false sense of security’, despite major breakthroughs in recent years.

Fertility treatment has a 3 per cent success rate for women over the age of 44.

More than half of those having such treatment in their forties use donor eggs, because their own supply has diminished, or the quality of those remaining is not good enough.

The study, published in the medical journal Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, says that risks of prolonging parenthood should be taught at school alongside lessons on safe sex.

Researchers also say charts showing the decline of fertility with age should be put up in surgeries and family planning clinics.

David Utting, specialty registrar in obstetrics and gynaecology at Kingston Hospital NHS Trust and co-author of the review, said: ‘Clear facts on fertility need to be made available to women of all ages to remind them that the most secure age for childbearing remains 20-35.

‘However women and doctors should remain vigilant to prevent unplanned and unwanted pregnancies.’

Fertility experts say that there is not enough provision in the workplace to allow women to simultaneously have children while pursuing a career.

Gedis Grudzinskas, a consultant in infertility and gynaecology, said: ‘Many women I see say they find it very difficult to try to do everything.

‘Society has changed and there is now much more opportunity to follow exciting careers – especially with such inadequate provision of childcare.

‘Women achieve career satisfaction and decide they want to start a family but by this time it is too late and they can’t turn the clock back.’

He added: ‘We should be making it easier for women to start a family while they are at work.’

Jason Waugh, consultant in obstetrics and editor in chief of the Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, said: ‘This review highlights the problems associated with later maternal age.

‘There are a number of reasons why women are leaving it later to start a family, for example, career concerns, financial reasons and finding a suitable partner.

‘However, women should be given more information on the unpredictability of pregnancy and the problems that can occur in older mothers.’

Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by armyofone(m): 2:31pm On Feb 03, 2011
singing and humming

''you can eat your cake and have itttt, you can eat your cake and have it, oh yeah baby, you surely can eat your cake and still gat it

singing and whistling you can yes yes you can babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

grin
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 3:12pm On Feb 03, 2011
armyofone:

singing and humming

''you can eat your cake and have itttt, you can eat your cake and have it, oh yeah baby, you surely can eat your cake and still gat it

singing and whistling you can yes yes you can babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

grin

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefTlpSLyuA[/flash]

tongue
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by ifyalways(f): 6:06pm On Feb 03, 2011
. . . Folks are seriously avoiding this thread cos of 2 words:r3tard and m0r0n cheesy tongue cheesy
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 6:19pm On Feb 03, 2011
^^^lol.

I think more like pensive reflectionism of possible or actual reality of life and its limitations is keeping most females quiet.
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by dayokanu(m): 7:26pm On Feb 03, 2011
ifyalways:

. . . Folks are seriously avoiding this thread cos of 2 words:r3tard and m0r0n cheesy tongue cheesy

I have been waiting on this thread for you
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by ifyalways(f): 9:58am On Feb 04, 2011
^Look,im not interested in 3somes . . . definitely not ever with you so Ori eja waka jejely.
Sagamite:

^^^lol.

I think more like pensive reflectionism of possible or actual reality of life and limitations is keeping most females quiet.
Na u sabi.
Add[i] Youtube [/i]videos to r3tard and m0r0n and tell me who wud want to take the risk. lol
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 04, 2011
dayokanu:

Now the truth is out.

Why do women prefer to marry people richer? Do they mean there cant be love to poorer people.

That should be the dumbest question ever undecided

Who wants to suffer eh? Did anybody come to this world to suffer tongue cheesy

But seriously, I find it laughable that a woman who doesn't want to marry a poor man is written off as a gold-digger! I bet the one who would rather be with a pauper is considered the ideal woman! undecided

@ Topic

Can a woman really have it all?

Omotala recently called herself a 'fulfilled woman' . . . and she's not wrong. Not many women at 32 have 4 kids and a lovely home, a very successful career and is still considered to be one of the hottest chic in town!

So yea, a guess a woman can really have it all . . . .

Personally, I've met a lot of accomplished women and that's precisely what I hope to become. cool cool
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 10:25am On Feb 04, 2011
ifyalways:

Na u sabi.
Add[i] Youtube [/i]videos to r3tard and m0r0n and tell me who wud want to take the risk. lol

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx5EoUx7wxo[/flash]

grin
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by armyofone(m): 2:21pm On Feb 04, 2011
Uju, thanks for answering that mugo park called dk 
simple question you asked him, who wan suffer? but you know, nigeria man likes sufferhead woman. it was inscribed in their DNA

Saga, lol to the cartoon you sent grin
we are the cow and you guys are the lil chicken 
see the cow eating it with relish, i'm going to roast, grill, cook, pepperize mine  tongue

who told you we cant have it all, sh.it don hit fan so we know a great deal that 1 not 2 can play that game.
yes we can
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Jenifa1: 3:00pm On Feb 04, 2011
homophobic+misogynistic = sagamite tongue

dayokanu:

why do men prefer to marry people prettier or sexier. do they mean there can't be love to uglier people.

the concept of womanizing still prevails among males
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 4:23pm On Feb 04, 2011
Jenifa_:

homophobic+misogynistic = sagamite tongue

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODwetfioWA[/flash]

tongue grin
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Sagamite(m): 4:29pm On Feb 04, 2011
armyofone:

Saga, lol to the cartoon you sent grin
we are the cow and you guys are the lil chicken 
see the cow eating it with relish, i'm going to roast, grill, cook, pepperize mine  tongue

who told you we cant have it all, sh.it don hit fan so we know a great deal that 1 not 2 can play that game.
yes we can

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWa4TvYGdM&feature=related[/flash]

Dream on, Dreamer. You will meet the guy that will kill that dream soon. tongue grin
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by dayokanu(m): 5:36pm On Feb 04, 2011
Ujujoan:

That should be the dumbest question ever  undecided

Who wants to suffer eh? Did anybody come to this world to suffer    tongue  cheesy

But seriously, I find it laughable that a woman who doesn't want to marry a poor man is written off as a gold-digger! I bet the one who would rather be with a pauper is considered the ideal woman!  undecided

What happened to using your own brains and hands to work and eke out a living, If a woman is not brain dead and not lazy how would she suffer.

How many white collar women can go to their village to marry a carpenter or mechanic.

We were told that to avoid poverty work hard, Are you saying women lack the brains and the hand to work and earn a living for themselves?

The culture of gold digging
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Jenifa1: 8:29pm On Feb 04, 2011
some women are gold diggers because that's what men prefer!!
as far as i'm concerned there are lots of single career women out there in their late 20s (it takes years and hard work to get educated and develop a career). most men just happen not to be interested in them and would rather prefer a young girl who obviously need to rely on a man to feed herself. and these young girls are not silly either. of course they prefer a rich man because otherwise, how are they going to survive.

so it's all give and take. Yes women can have it all!
How? if the men agree to co-operate. ex white males generally don't have problems with having a career wife because they believe in equality. so it works well for white families.
for  many black females on the other hand they usually have to choose one or the other because they usually can't have both. at least that's what I notice. and there aren't many marriages in the black community anyways. so career seem to be the better option for them I would think. because you can have a career and a single parent family. I think nigerian women in diaspora are also experiencing this at least going by the threads on nairaland (the phenomenon of getting educated, developing a career and then hitting your late 20s without finding a husband,  or finding a guy who is a golddigger!! talk about role reversal)
at least that is better than having nothing. no career and no husband. ie single mothers on welfare. lol
Re: Do You Think Women Can Really Have It All? And How? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 04, 2011
Jenifa_:

some women are gold diggers because that's what men prefer!!
as far as i'm concerned there are lots of single career women out there in their late 20s (it takes years and hard work to get educated and develop a career). most men just happen not to be interested in them and would rather prefer a young girl who obviously need to rely on a man to feed herself. and these young girls are not silly either. of course they prefer a rich man because otherwise, how are they going to survive.

Well that is unlikely to be a winning strategy because people tend to marry within their class and within their social circle. How many professionals do you know that would want to marry a liability or a drop-out in this day and age.
Okay maybe I get your misapprehension. You are referring to girls who fall for the lies the players tell them as gold diggers but that is not the case as in most cases these guys don't even have the gold to give out in the first place.  These good-time girls are addicted to bad boys and can not be classed as gold diggers

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cultural Practice In Wedding You Dislike Most? / Let Us Try To Give Etymology To Common Yoruba Words / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.