Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Western Influence On African Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Western Influence On African Marriage (4596 Views)

Married Men...Negative Influence On Single Ladies? / Failed Marriages In Nollywood: Bad Influence On The Youth's Future Families! / Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Western Influence On African Marriage by samtoye(m): 12:19pm On Jan 28, 2011
I write this with no prejudice neither is it a display of macho jingoism, It’s such sarcasm where most African women would readily downgrade the traditional marriage values as archaic and tyrannical but still want to hold on to the appended benefits on the sanctity of African Marriage, they habitually ignore the fact that the desired connubial bliss hangs on the tenets of these trivialized values. 
The Western Culture which champions the so called “conjugal liberation” have diminutive or no provision for this same sentiments Africans hold about the institution called marriage, what paradigm we have if most marital liberation laws and ideologies originate from the US albeit their rate of divorce remain unprecedented.
Divorce was a rare occurrence then in the African culture but with the influx of our new believes; the monster is gradually rearing its ugly head all over. Instead of engaging in sanctimonious marathon prayers concerning your marriage why don’t you simply check and amend your ways, like a Yoruba adage says - “Obinrin so iwa nu, o ni owun ko lori oko”(The woman blames ill luck for her marital failure rather than her bad attitude).
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by tpia6: 12:27pm On Jan 28, 2011
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by Emmyk(m): 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2011
Where's my dictionary ? I need synonyms for all these Vocabularies cheesy . Message is true!
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by MLSwiss: 12:01am On Jan 30, 2011
Hello there, misogynist,

I am not a believer so sanctimonial prayers mean sh[i]i[/i]t for me. And we've been influenced by the western culture in so MANY areas so why not marriage? What happens when your sanctimonial prayers don't work? Why remain in a situation that makes you unhappy? Nobody in their right mind would want to get divorced. We get married because we HOPE that our significant other is the one. But if that isn't the case, then divorce. Go your seperate ways.
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by Outstrip(f): 12:58am On Jan 30, 2011
Africans do not have better marriages than the western world. Don't kid yourself. It is just not true.
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by iice(f): 5:26pm On Jan 31, 2011
Rofl. Humans!
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by mutter(f): 10:30am On Feb 01, 2011
Once upon a time:
THE AFRICAN MAN was a provider and a protector.
What is the african man today?
When the position of a king becomes merely ceremonial, what do you expect?
Some citizens will not accord the king any respect, while some may do so merely to maintain tradition.
Certainly you cannot expect blind submission from all.
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 01, 2011
samtoye:

I write this with no prejudice neither is it a display of macho jingoism, It’s such sarcasm where most African women would readily downgrade the traditional marriage values as archaic and tyrannical but still want to hold on to the appended benefits on the sanctity of African Marriage, they habitually ignore the fact that the desired connubial bliss hangs on the tenets of these trivialized values. 
The Western Culture which champions the so called “conjugal liberation” have diminutive or no provision for this same sentiments Africans hold about the institution called marriage, what paradigm we have if most marital liberation laws and ideologies originate from the US albeit their rate of divorce remain unprecedented.
Divorce was a rare occurrence then in the African culture but with the influx of our new believes; the monster is gradually rearing its ugly head all over. Instead of engaging in sanctimonious marathon prayers concerning your marriage why don’t you simply check and amend your ways, like a Yoruba adage says - “Obinrin so iwa nu, o ni owun ko lori oko”(The woman blames ill luck for her marital failure rather than her bad attitude).

Wait let me get my dictionary
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by samtoye(m): 1:28pm On Feb 03, 2011
Let this not be misconstrued as a gender supremacy debate rather it’s an exposition on our marital institution. “Misogynist” -Uncalled for! The advocacy for liberation within the ambiance of marriage is hypocrisy extraordinaire because you willingly subscribe to “BOND-age” so if you don’t want it don’t subscribe.
I so much believe the woman owns the marriage depicted by her right as the legal custodian of the marriage certificate and also as it is written on the wedding invitation “Woman WEDS Man“. Therefore; by implication the women decide consciously or unconsciously the duration of the union moreso don’t complain about a divorce, you've only chosen to “un-WED or Liberate” yourself.

N.B - Antecedents dictates we have more stable matrimonial union than our western counterpart.
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by MLSwiss: 1:57pm On Feb 04, 2011
samtoye:

Let this not be misconstrued as a gender supremacy debate rather it’s an exposition on our marital institution. “Misogynist” -Uncalled for! The advocacy for liberation within the ambiance of marriage is hypocrisy extraordinaire because you willingly subscribe to “BOND-age” so if you don’t want it don’t subscribe.
I so much believe the woman owns the marriage depicted by her right as the legal custodian of the marriage certificate and also as it is written on the wedding invitation “Woman WEDS Man“. Therefore; by implication the women decide consciously or unconsciously the duration of the union moreso don’t complain about a divorce, you've only chosen to “un-WED or Liberate” yourself.

N.B - Antecedents dictates we have more stable matrimonial union than our western counterpart.

This is bullsh*t ! You're using words that are evidently bigger than you to spread MISOGYNIST ideas ! Why in the world should marriage be bondage? This is not even worth it ! I'm going to let this topic die !
Re: Western Influence On African Marriage by NAJALYN: 5:44pm On Feb 04, 2011
There is western influence on African marriage, & I believe that has its merits & demerits. We all know that in the past, before the advent of western culture, we had very rare cases of divorce. Our parents believed that it was wrong to divorce, so rather than divorce they would do anything to remain in their matrimonial home. The christians did not want to offend God, the pagans did not want to offend their gods. They were brought up with the belief that no matter what, a married woman should stay married until the end; it would be disgraceful not to. Some men would marry so many women, & rather than fending for his wives & kids, he goes out in the mornings to meet with friends to smoke & drink kainkain (push me I push you, God no go vex). After thoroughly soaking themselves in alcohol, they go home, & make a nuisance of themselves. The wives would, with their meagre earning from farming & sales from the market cook for the man, taking turns, & train their kids, where possible; no contribution from the man. Under-aged girls where given away in marriage to their great grandfathers. Now with civilization, most people embrased a lot of changes & some not too good changes as well. The sensible ones should do what is right to remain happily married till the end. Like the poster rightly said, the woman, & I wish to add, the man as well, should correct themselves when necessary, at least for the sake of the kids, to ensure that they make their marriage work. With concerted efforts by both parties, how can they fail!

(1) (Reply)

What If Your Daughter Doesnt Utilize Her College Education? / contract Marriage / What Was Your Bad Habits When You Were A kid?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.