Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,081 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

What Is This Insect Called In Your Language?eat Or Nay - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is This Insect Called In Your Language?eat Or Nay (1215 Views)

How Do U Call This Insect In English? / I Want To Know More About This Insect. (pic) / Nairalander Finds A New Specie Of Insect Called Horn-head Mantis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is This Insect Called In Your Language?eat Or Nay by Elimon(m): 11:33am On Jun 23, 2020
There have been series of influx of these termites in the southern part of Nigeria..while many tribes find it more edible,others do not but frown at it.
Many people enjoy it as snack after frying it dry with spices and served hot or called..
Different tribes have different name they give to it..in Ibibio/Annang it is call Ndube or Nduwe
Tell us what it is called in ur language and do you find it paletable

Re: What Is This Insect Called In Your Language?eat Or Nay by Elimon(m): 11:40am On Jun 23, 2020
Some of the insects are eaten raw directly from the emergence hole. Although termite harvest begins with the onset of the rains and the swarming of the winged termites, villagers have shown that some termites could be induced to emerge even during the dry seasons, making them available throughout the year. Banjo et al. were of the view that this has created attachment to the termite enterprise by locals to the extent that in some parts of the region, termite mounds are owned by individuals and sometimes form part of inheritance when one dies.

In many households, termites are a delicacy enjoyed by almost all ethnic communities in western Kenya. They are consumed as part of a meal or as a complete meal with tapioca, bread, roast corn or simply eaten as snack food. Some mothers grind the dried termites into flour and use it as a sprinkle in baby porridge. Termites are also eaten raw directly from the emergence hole . Addition of termites to maize resulted in significant increase in β-carotene, niacin, vitamin B6, and B12 content, with significant reduction in thiamine, riboflavin and ascorbic acid content of enriched complementary foods.

The utilisation of insects as a sustainable and secure source of animal-based food for the human diet has continued to increase in popularity in recent years. Many ethnic groups in approximately 130 countries utilise insects as essential elements of their diet. In recent years, in the United States, there has been an increasing interest in insect-based food products. More than 2000 insect species and other small invertebrates are consumed as food by humans and animals alike and used for either self-sufficiency or commercial food products in many parts of the world.
Re: What Is This Insect Called In Your Language?eat Or Nay by clockwisereport: 1:05pm On Jun 23, 2020
Nsukka people call it aku.
Re: What Is This Insect Called In Your Language?eat Or Nay by prosper87: 1:28pm On Jun 23, 2020
Termites are very delicious when fried properly. It's been a while since my parents and I ate them. I pray that Nepa will give us light and rain should fall verrry well so that I can chop the thing

;DTermites are very delicious when fried properly. It's been a while since my parents and I ate them. I pray that Nepa will give us light and rain should fall verrry well so that I can chop the thing
Re: What Is This Insect Called In Your Language?eat Or Nay by prosper87: 1:30pm On Jun 23, 2020
Termites are very delicious when fried properly. It's been a while since my parents and I ate them. I pray that Nepa will give us light and rain should fall verrry well so that I can chop the thing
Re: What Is This Insect Called In Your Language?eat Or Nay by hardbody: 10:54pm On Jul 07, 2020
Elimon:
There have been series of influx of these termites in the southern part of Nigeria..while many tribes find it more edible,others do not but frown at it.
Many people enjoy it as snack after frying it dry with spices and served hot or called..
Different tribes have different name they give to it..in Ibibio/Annang it is call Ndube or Nduwe
Tell us what it is called in ur language and do you find it paletable

Efiks call it mbube.

Aros call it Aku-nwa-mkpi

I used to eat it but it suddenly feels awkward.

(1) (Reply)

How To Earn With Rally Trade / Anyone With The Information Of Unad Direct Entry Form / Lasu Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.