Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,375 members, 7,836,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? (22663 Views)

The Difference Between Soul And Spirit, Or Is There One ? / Oro Worshippers & Truth And Spirit Prophetic Church Clash In Lagos, One Dead / Spirit, Soul and Body: Man's Tripartite Nature Explained with Robot Concept (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by backbone503(m): 2:46pm On Jun 28, 2020
dinodesmond:

You illustration is fine

Another explanation is this, the soul needs an identity and cover and that's why it is clothed in the body. After it is clothed, it now needs power to run the mechanism the body will need to survive and this is where the spirit comes in just like electricity in any electrical gadget.

Take away the power(electricity), all electrical gadgets will remain lifeless. When GOD finished moulding man, the soul was lifeless so He gave him His spirit by breathing into him and the soul in his body became active. When a man dies, the soul is forcefully unclothed from the body after the spirit must have found its way back to the source(God). The soul becomes weak and invisible while the body rots away.

You are the soul and this soul must need two things: body and spirit.

Absolutely correct. Do Pastors and Imams now teach this? Which church do you attend?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by backbone503(m): 2:47pm On Jun 28, 2020
alexola20:
By your analogy, so I can still use my body(phone)with my spirit(network)without a soul(sim card)?

Can you make any meaningful use of your phone without a SIM card?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by vioment: 2:51pm On Jun 28, 2020
CalvinGaye:

Which part of it Sir?

All of it to get a full understanding.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by titusmichael27(m): 2:52pm On Jun 28, 2020
"soul" is used in various ways, with diverse connotations found throughout the scriptures and in other Church writings. However, the word also has a precise definition given in latter-day revelation: the soul is the united entity of the spirit with the physical body (D&C 88:15-16 ). This concept is enhanced by an understanding of (1) the creation of humankind as a uniting of the spirit body and the physical body (Gen. 2:7)..... Points of correction; 1 conscience has nothing to do with soul or spirit. 2 spirit is not a force and for the purpose of understanding, there is a different between the breath of life and the spirit. isaiah 42:5.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jun 28, 2020
dinodesmond:

You illustration is fine

Another explanation is this, the soul needs an identity and cover and that's why it is clothed in the body. After it is clothed, it now needs power to run the mechanism the body will need to survive and this is where the spirit comes in just like electricity in any electrical gadget.

Take away the power(electricity), all electrical gadgets will remain lifeless. When GOD finished moulding man, the soul was lifeless so He gave him His spirit by breathing into him and the soul in his body became active. When a man dies, the soul is forcefully unclothed from the body after the spirit must have found its way back to the source(God). The soul becomes weak and invisible while the body rots away.

You are the soul and this soul must need two things: body and spirit.

The illustration was brilliant, but I think on a more deeper note

*The Soul in this case is the Operating System within the phone.

*The Sim card is the Spirit Man which receive signals from the Spirit of God or Holy ghost(Network).

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by backbone503(m): 3:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
shadeyinka:

Very simple. A human being is a Trinity of Body, Soul and Spirit (each one of these is your IDENTITY). Your identity is how you are identified.

1. Your BODY is your physical identity. This is how everyone in the physical realm (your parent, your friend and even including your dog identify you). Your body can be recrafted either surgically or by accident and people will not recognise you again. Without physical light, your body is invisible.

2. Your SPIRIT is your spiritual identity. This is how everyone in the spiritual realm (God, Angels and even demons identify you). Just like Angels have a spiritual form and can be distinguishable from another angel, so also your spirit make you distinguishable from other spirits.

3. Your SOUL is your personal/internal identity. This is how YOU identify yourself as you. Even if you woke up after 2 years in coma and you discovered that you have been surgically physically converted to look exactly like Buhari, you won't mis-identify yourself as Buhari (no matter how perfect the surgery is). This is your internal/personal identity.Your soul is what you refer to as "ME", "I", "Myself" etc. Your soul has these functions:
the seat of your emotion,
the seat of your intellect and
the seat of choice/VOLITION

Animals are Dualities and have a Soul and Body
Angels, demons are Dualities and have a Soul and Spirit
Human beings are Trinities and they have a Body, Soul and Spirit.

When a man physically dies, his body is disconnected from the union of his Soul and Spirit. His Soul and Spirit this fully represent him before resurrection.

I hope this makes a little sense to you

Cc:
coputa
Jacoik
backbone503
LilBlaze24o
Mcslow
Dangrace01:

StUriah thesolutions Proffdada
backbone503 Raydans babag93 delpee

I agree to some extent. However, when you say "Your Soul" for example, it is suggestive of the fact that Soul is been possessed by something else perceived to be the real you. E.g. I say "your bag". This means that you and the bag are different entities, and you possess the bag.

I understand Soul to be the real you. You don't posses a Soul; you are Soul.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
backbone503:

Bro your Analogy is concise and brilliant

But on a deeper consideration, I think

*The Sim card should be likened to our Spirit Man that has to be in constant fellowship with the Holy ghost(which I will attribute as the Network here)

*Then the Soul I will say is the Operating System and Software in the phone.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by backbone503(m): 3:06pm On Jun 28, 2020
Liposure:
god will bless u
Bless you too, broe.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by SweetDipBenny(m): 3:06pm On Jun 28, 2020
Spirit is spirit. Soul is life. Body is dust
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by backbone503(m): 3:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:

My love. kiss
Mama! I hope se I no de-rep you?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Tamakay(m): 3:11pm On Jun 28, 2020
backbone503:
You are Soul, a spark of God. You are merely putting on that physical body, just to survive while here. God didn't create your physical body, He created you, as Soul. And thats why its said that you're created in the image and likeness of God. Just like God, Soul is eternal.

Spirit is the essence of God that sustains ALL life forms. Spirit is God in expression. (i.e. God "stepped down" to a form that we can relate with). Soul exist solely because God loves It.

Using GSM analogy:
your physical body is the Phone,
Soul is the SIM card, and
Spirit is the Network.

You go sabi teach well well oo. Your GSM analogy simplies everything thing. Kudos!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by backbone503(m): 3:17pm On Jun 28, 2020
Tamakay:

You go sabi teach well well oo. Your GSM analogy simplies everything thing. Kudos!

Baba, na try we dey try o!

We are all students in this great school of life. We owe ourselves the sole responsibility of first knowing who and what we are, and later who/what God is, and finally who/what we are to God.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 28, 2020
backbone503:

Lol! Of course bro. As a matter of fact I have been doing so.

I can use any of these online Telecommunication networks (Skype for instance) and buy online Skype credits which I can use in calling anyone anywhere in the world. Even with their local phone numbers.

Moreso, I can use A very good WIFI network to browse and have nothing to do with a Sim card.

You can do all these without a sim-card, but not without an Operating System and Software.

��
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Rapture4real(m): 3:30pm On Jun 28, 2020
marttol:
if you can read download the book ("spiritual man " by watchman nee PDF)... on Google

you won't have to ask this question again... it got all the answers you need.

Thanks.Just did
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 28, 2020
titusmichael27:
"soul" is used in various ways, with diverse connotations found throughout the scriptures and in other Church writings. However, the word also has a precise definition given in latter-day revelation: the soul is the united entity of the spirit with the physical body (D&C 88:15-16 ). This concept is enhanced by an understanding of (1) the creation of humankind as a uniting of the spirit body and the physical body (Gen. 2:7)..... Points of correction; 1 conscience has nothing to do with soul or spirit. 2 spirit is not a force and for the purpose of understanding, there is a different between the breath of life and the spirit. isaiah 42:5.

You are right that the Spirit is not the breath.
But why do you say the conscience has nothing to do with the soul or Spirit??
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by dinodesmond(m): 3:34pm On Jun 28, 2020
backbone503:

Absolutely correct. Do Pastors and Imams now teach this? Which church do you attend?

Some learned religious leaders teach about this while others dont even attempt at all. I attend a pentecostal church.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by dinodesmond(m): 3:37pm On Jun 28, 2020
CalvinGaye:

The illustration was brilliant, but I think on a more deeper note

*The Soul in this case is the Operating System within the phone.

*The Sim card is the Spirit Man which receive signals from the Spirit of God or Holy ghost(Network).

This analogy of yours will ask so much questions but it is illustrative.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by gowonmaharajah(m): 3:40pm On Jun 28, 2020
Evaromantik:
"Soul" is the soul of that person, while "Spirit" is that person's Spirit.

grin grin grin
OLODO...
lol

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by gowonmaharajah(m): 3:48pm On Jun 28, 2020
blackbone989:
The body is the lesser of the three. It's earth n will definitely return to it. Spirit is what gives d body live. Take d spirit away d body is dead. The spirit is that part that takes over when u sleep. It's is not constrain by time n place. It can move in different directions. You can b here n your spirit felt d present of your mum coming back smiling and while your body is still processing it u looked up and saw her coming. The spirit can be controlled by both good n evil.infact what u expose the body to determine what's controls and how strong d spirit is. The soul on the other hand is indestructible. It's what return to the creator. It can never b touched or destroy by any bn except the creator. It is just what it is n nothing more. Your body determine how your spirit will b which will in return determine where d soul go
didn't you say the soul is indestructible and goes back to God after death?
and you are still saying both the spirit and body are what determine where the soul goes.
clarify that
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by DeOTR: 3:50pm On Jun 28, 2020
This is the answer: Genesis 2:7 - And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

The breath is the spirit, and that makes the object formed out of the dust a living soul.
Spirit simply means breath, while soul is a living being. As simple as that.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by DeOTR: 3:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
titusmichael27:
Ecclesiastes 12:7 ...'Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, And the spirit will return to God who gave it.
You're in direct contrast to the above verse which clearly states that the breath of life given to man by God at creation is the spirit that returns to God when man dies.
The original book uses the same word for breath and spirit. For the most part, spirit means breath, or air wherever it appears in the Bible. I'm not taking about the English translations here.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by alexola20(m): 4:14pm On Jun 28, 2020
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by titusmichael27(m): 4:27pm On Jun 28, 2020
DeOTR:

Ecclesiastes 12:7 ...'Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, And the spirit will return to God who gave it.
You're in direct contrast to the above verse which clearly states that the breath of life given to man by God at creation is the spirit that returns to God when man dies.
The original book uses the same word for breath and spirit. For the most part, spirit means breath, or air wherever it appears in the Bible. I'm not taking about the English translations here.
The question is this, did the Bible say that the breath of life will return to God? which one did the bible mention spirit or the breath of life?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 28, 2020
Soul is a Life Force or Energy that can only be absorbed by its source - a Spirit is a body of consciousness existing inside a body
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 28, 2020
titusmichael27:
The question is this, did the Bible say that the breath of life will return to God? which one did the bible mention spirit or the breath of life?

Bible is inconclusive with many parts missing or excluded
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by titusmichael27(m): 4:44pm On Jun 28, 2020
CalvinGaye:

You are right that the Spirit is not the breath.
But why do you say the conscience has nothing to do with the soul or Spirit??
So sorry about the delay. What is conscience in the first place? It is the inner voice or feelings that signal us whenever we do/did something right or wrong. However, it is base on our standard of moral training from infant or so. let's say christian and muslem for instance, do you think people from these religions have the same conscience? of course no! Conscience has a lot to do with mind (brain) and information (knowledge) in it.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by EvangelistChuks(m): 4:58pm On Jun 28, 2020
Man is a spirit( Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and hast fenced me with bones and sinewsJob10:11)has a soul & lives in a body. Man interface with God through his spirit for God is Spirit(John4:24 -God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Prov.20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly.)While the soul comprising of the mind(intellect), emotions & will are the the means he interface with his body.The spirit is God- ward(Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward-Ecli.3:21)while the soul is earth-ward.
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ-1theso.5:23
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by titusmichael27(m): 5:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
LaEvilIMiss:

Bible is inconclusive with many parts missing or excluded
Well! the bible was written by inspired men but was translated by scholars. It suppose to have been translated by a man or men with influence of the Holy spirit. The seems mistake is from men not from the original writers or God. You can't use a circular knowledge or canal mind on things like bible. That's why you need to have the companionship of the Holy spirit before you can get the real (truth) message.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
backbone503:

Mama! I hope se I no de-rep you?

Nope. wink
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by DeOTR: 5:11pm On Jun 28, 2020
titusmichael27:
Job 27:3,4(NKJV) ...'As long as my breath is in me, And the breath of God in my nostrils, My lips will not speak wickedness, Nor my tongue utter deceit.

As we all know, it's the breath of life that was breathed into man's nostril that made him a living soul. Job is confirming it here. And as far as I know, the Ecclesiastes 27:3 is referring to the breath of God. That was the only thing on record that was given by God to man at creation.
The it's the same Hebrew word Ruach translated into English differently.
The breath of life and the spirit that leaves man and returns to God at death are the same.
The Bible is clear about this. It is the breath of God that serves as animator. Once you lose your breath, you're literally dead and the body will ultimately return to dust. This is the simple truth as echoed by the Bible.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by Royalsleek22: 5:16pm On Jun 28, 2020
Soul is what connects the spirit and the flesh
Re: What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? by titusmichael27(m): 5:20pm On Jun 28, 2020
DeOTR:
This is the answer: Genesis 2:7 - And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

The breath is the spirit, and that makes the object formed out of the dust a living soul.
Spirit simply means breath, while soul is a living being. As simple as that.
Isaiah 42:5 Thus said God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein: (close quote) this tells you that the breath is different from the spirit. May be you should consider calling God breath cos john said he's a spirit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

French Billionaire Pledges 100million Euros For Rebuild Notre Dame After Fire / She Came To Winepress 2022 With Crutches & Left Without Crutches - Pastor Bolaji / How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.