Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick (35140 Views)

FG Okays “Safe Reopening” Of Schools / Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools By Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba / No Reopening Of Schools For Now – Presidential Taskforce On COVID-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by NaijaRoyalty(m): 6:38am On Jul 01, 2020
• We can’t resume, we don’t want to die, teachers tell FG

The Nigerian Medical Association and the Nigeria Union of Teachers, on Tuesday, took a swipe at the Federal Government over its “safe reopening of schools”.

The apex organisations of medical doctors and teachers in the country told The PUNCH that the directive that graduating classes should resume was not only badly thought-out, but also could expose both teachers and pupils to the deadly coronavirus.

The NMA President, Prof Innocent Ujah, who spoke to one of our correspondents in Jos, said that given the current low level of compliance by Nigerians with COVID-19 safety protocols, it was risky to ask pupils to resume.

The NUT General Secretary, Mike Ene, said government was playing politics with the directive. He wondered how teachers, who had not been paid salaries in some states, would get money to buy personal protective equipment.

Ujah and Ene spoke just as the Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, on Tuesday became the latest prominent Nigerian to test positive for the virus.

Following the governor’s disclosure of his COVID-19 status, the state government ordered commissioners and other aides of Akeredolu to compulsorily go for the coronavirus test.

But as concerns mounted over the spread of COVID-19, the NMA faulted Monday’s pronouncement by the Federal Government on the reopening of schools.

The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, at its briefing in Abuja, said the government in what it called “safe reopening of schools,” had approved resumption of pupils in graduating classes including primary six, the Junior Secondary School 3 and the Senior Secondary School 3.

In approving the resumption of graduating classes, it said water must be provided in schools for hand-washing and both pupils and teachers must wear face masks while observing social distancing.

Many schools don’t have water – NMA

Faulting the FG, the NMA president asked, “What is the compliance of the citizens in terms of regular hand-washing and other safety protocols? At the moment, many of the schools don’t even have water. Obviously, it becomes very difficult to say that schools should reopen because you have to wash your hands regularly.

“Again, I don’t know how the teachers would be teaching with face masks and all the pupils will wear face masks. If you are not used to face masks, you may not breath well, particularly if the one you have is not standard.”

He also said it would be difficult to observe social distancing in crowded classrooms. Ujah stated, “I believe the government should think about it. If they can stay a little, people have to be alive to go to school and the way things are happening, the compliance level is still very low. I don’t think it is appropriate to open the schools now.”

We can’t resume, we don’t want to die, teachers tell FG

Also, the NUT general secretary said government was not serious with his directive. He said teachers could not resume because nobody wanted to die.

He stated, “I don’t know who is going to use his own child as a guinea pig. It is only those who are alive that can speak of keeping hope alive. How can we resume? Does anybody want to die?”

Ene said if government wanted teachers to resume, they should be provided with necessary materials and incentives.

Teachers are being taken for granted, govt yet to provide PPE, says NUT

The NUT general secretary stated, “The NUT is saying that the government has not assured us properly to go back to school. Has the NCDC (Nigeria Centre for Disease Control) moved around to make sure that the isolation centres are provided in schools? What measures have they told us have been provided for teachers to come back?

“We are being taken for granted. Teachers are parents and human beings too and their children don’t want to lose them out of carelessness. We are ready. We are not afraid to teach. But government has not shown commitment for us to go back to school. All what the government is doing is mere politics.

“When you talk of guidelines, we have passed the stage of talking without actions. I just read a text from a certain school asking my daughter who is going to take final exams to come back. They are demanding sanitisers, face marks and other consumables, thereby throwing back the burden to parents who have already been overstretched with feeding their children since they have been at home.

“But government has reneged on what it should do. In a class of 60, 40 or 70 pupils, you’re talking of physical and social distancing. Can a teacher take a class from 8am to 2pm, 2pm to 5pm and 5pm to 10pm? What is the PPE that government has given to teachers?

“If a teacher is going to face many pupils in a class, and has no PPE, how will the teacher function or they expect him to use his meagre salary? I don’t know if government is aware that as of today so many states and local governments are owing teachers.”

https://punchng.com/nma-nut-knock-fg-over-order-to-reopen-schools/

16 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by realstars: 6:42am On Jul 01, 2020
Federal Govenment To Teachers;
We Can't Pay You Salary For Now Becaused You Never Work For It.

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by OmoOduduwa01: 6:43am On Jul 01, 2020
Uhn
Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by NaijaRoyalty(m): 6:43am On Jul 01, 2020
The time is just not right to send children to school.

School can wait, But Life no get duplicate .

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by 2special(m): 6:44am On Jul 01, 2020
Public school teacher's are not ready to resume but the private teacher's are ready to resume.

163 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by SmartProf(m): 6:46am On Jul 01, 2020
What an irony. Since there is job security in government jobs, these teachers can say this, and their unions can back them up to even strike, and they will still be paid. Those in private schools can't even muster same statements for obvious reasons. Even if ASUU were not on strike, public University lecturers would not have been considering resuming, as many senior lecturers and Profs are in the vulnerable age group. The FG should reinvent our strategies for learning by incorporating e-learning facilities as an optional platform for times like this

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Jaspaman: 6:47am On Jul 01, 2020
So what's the way forward is this country...

This is so mess up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 01, 2020
Haha
And you want to get paid?
Dey no wan die but they wan go heaven

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Nobody: 6:49am On Jul 01, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:

I thought you all said its audio, malaria bla bla bla
Now resume , oh no we can't
Mtchew confused lots

37 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Nobody: 6:49am On Jul 01, 2020
Abouwaza:
Haha
And you want to get paid?
Dey no wan die but they wan go heaven
Not exactly so. Part of their grievance is that they've not been paid, how then can they afford the required PPE

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by NaijaRoyalty(m): 6:52am On Jul 01, 2020
Abouwaza:

I thought you all said its audio, malaria bla bla bla
Now resume , oh no we can't
Mtchew confused lots
Corona virus is real in Nigeria but not as much as your useless APC government ha announced so far .

The real carriers of this deadly virus aren't up to 1000k in Nigeria .

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ThatFairGuy1: 6:53am On Jul 01, 2020
LIFE comes first before ANYTHING. We reason with you. School Should be closed for now. It's ONLY a living being that goes to school

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 01, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:

Corona virus is real in Nigeria but not as much as your useless APC government ha announced so far .

First of all APC is so useless that's correct
But bro we have over 100,000 casese already its just that the thing reacts differently here
You have to comprehend that a lot of people have tested positive even without knowing and they are back on track

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ThatFairGuy1: 6:54am On Jul 01, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:

Shut that crap please

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Braw(m): 6:55am On Jul 01, 2020
When we had less than 1000 cases of CV, we closed schools. Now that we av almost 30,000 cofirmed cases we have to open school.

In nigeria, those who ought to be tails are leading

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by zakim(m): 6:56am On Jul 01, 2020
Fear

2 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by NaijaRoyalty(m): 6:57am On Jul 01, 2020
Abouwaza:

First of all APC is so useless that's correct
But bro we have over 100,000 casese already its just that the thing reacts differently here
You have to comprehend that a lot of people have tested positive even without knowing and they are back on track

100,000 malaria and typhoid cases you meant .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Rilwayne001: 7:06am On Jul 01, 2020
If to say hunger don rewire their brain like their counterparts in the private sector, they won't have the course to say this. Yeye people.

13 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by FlordFlorez(m): 7:10am On Jul 01, 2020
They've valid points. How can u expect them to expose their selves without any known measures like a chicken being led to the slaughter house. Provide PPE & other measures for them abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Richardjcooper(m): 7:16am On Jul 01, 2020
Serious concerns raised here. Government should do more than talking. Most parents will not gamble with the lives of their children.

We all know the government will do nothing. Naso dem be.

2 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ArticleBeast: 7:20am On Jul 01, 2020
Govt should tell them, they can't pay na. Abi are they offering any service
Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ArticleBeast: 7:20am On Jul 01, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:

Wait for how long?

2 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ArticleBeast: 7:23am On Jul 01, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:
LIFE comes first before ANYTHING. We reason with you.
School Should be closed for now. It's ONLY a living being that goes to school
Closed for how long? But they want market and religious centre to open. Na who dey alive they go market and church

17 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ArticleBeast: 7:24am On Jul 01, 2020
Braw:
When we had less than 1000 cases of CV, we closed schools. Now that we av almost 30,000 cofirmed cases we have to open school.

In nigeria, those who ought to be tails are leading
Because there is nothing that can be done. We just have to live with it for as long as it last.
Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Braw(m): 7:29am On Jul 01, 2020
ArticleBeast:

Because there is nothing that can be done. We just have to live with it for as long as it last.
Everything has solution
Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ModestGal(f): 7:29am On Jul 01, 2020
Well, this is what happens to an ineffective country.
Most people working under the government are old people. Most public school teachers are old people, they refused to employ young and vibrant people in government parrastatals many lecturers are above 50years of age and old.

Public primary and secondary schools are the worst, most of them are not TECH educated, how can they start online smart classes? Most of the schools don't even have enough teachers, in my state for instance, many of the schools are with teachers that are not enough. And these teachers are not even the TECH smart people, they have destroyed the life of these teachers, they are usually somehow local with funny mentalities.
They don't get any encouragement from the government, no assurance and reassurance, no training, no councillor. All they do to inspect them is go and bring your primary 6 certificate, they will all start running helter skelter, when they want to inspect schools, they will be asking of lesson notes, even the inspectors are not smart people, they are people with funny mindsets.

Just like I said, stress work is not hardwork, the only thing they are doing for the teachers is to instill unnecessary fear in them, I have family members that are old teachers and many people living in my community are old teachers incase you are wondering where I for my information.
These generation still believe leadership is to instill fear in their followers

If they want to do training for them, na so so fear and useless talks they would be instilling in them. Very funny government

15 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ArticleBeast: 7:33am On Jul 01, 2020
Braw:

Everything has solution
Have we gotten hiv cure? We just have to build our lives around it. Govt also needs to step up and create sanitizing pods in schools

2 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ThatFairGuy1: 7:44am On Jul 01, 2020
ArticleBeast:

Closed for how long? But they want market and religious centre to open. Na who dey alive they go market and church
If market is not open, will you be eating your faeces? That's ESSENTIAL.
Worship places are still closed, some are just opened PARTIALLY. Besides, if you see school as essential now, no one is stopping you. Just leave those that value their life out of it.

4 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Minjim: 7:48am On Jul 01, 2020
Abeg open schools joor
Your kids are going to the markets and playing on the streets.
Everyday I see kids playing football on the field at ijegun near the Oba's Palace and you said they shouldn't open schools.
Even when you locked schools and churches did you think you stopped the kids from mingling with each others?

30 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ArticleBeast: 7:49am On Jul 01, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:

Worship places are still closed, some are just opened PARTIALLY. Besides, if you see school as essential now, no one is stopping you. Just leave those that value their life out of it.
But why are you guys now sounding like the kids going to school will kill them. Do you know that majority of private schools were holding lesson and all? The parents that go out to market and other places with no nose mask who do they return to. Only govt school teacher can say this crap. They are lucky I am not Buhari. I will just give their roles to these new Npower workers.

12 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by Minjim: 7:52am On Jul 01, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:

The danger in the school is the same danger on the streets and markets.

When I go to markets I see kids hawking , buying and selling without any supervision.
The field around my area kids play football there everyday. The thing is, people don't care about Corona virus again because they've seen that the fear of having nothing to eat is more deadly than it.
For your info, some private schools are already secretly having lessons in their schools and patents permits their kids to come.
Govt will survive, but how will private schools survive ?

16 Likes

Re: Reopening Of Schools: NUT, NMA Kick by ThatFairGuy1: 7:53am On Jul 01, 2020
ArticleBeast:

But why are you guys now sounding like the kids going to school will kill them. Do you know that majority of private schools were holding lesson and all? The parents that go out to market and other places with no nose mask who do they return to. Only govt school teacher can say this crap. They are lucky I am not Buhari. I will just give their roles to these new Npower workers.

Thank God you're not him, your authoritarianism would have been beyond control. You wouldn't have reason deeply to preview CONSEQUENCES in this context (covid-19)

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Final Year EBSU Student Dies In Her Sleep (Photos) / Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike / School Punishment (share Your Experience) Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.