Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,134 members, 7,845,767 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

16 Million Naira Nse Compensation: Getting Our Educational Priorities Right. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 16 Million Naira Nse Compensation: Getting Our Educational Priorities Right. (179 Views)

Don Davis' Parents Demand N100m Compensation From Deeper Life School, Uyo / NSE Rewards 2020 Best JAMB Engineering Candidates With N16m (Photos) / UNILAG, Why Is There A Long Delay In Getting Our Academic Transcript? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

16 Million Naira Nse Compensation: Getting Our Educational Priorities Right. by Hashimyussufamao(m): 9:45am On Jul 02, 2020
Yesterday, the internet went astir, when a laudable but rare news tossed the wave. It was the Nigerian Society of Engineers, under the able leadership of Engr Babagana Muhammad who had just compensate the 2020 UTME best candidate, Egoagwuagwu Agnes Maduafokwa, alongside 15 others with a whopping sum of 16 million Naira.

I reeled in disbelief when the news got to me. As I try to confirm if I was not dreaming. The fault is not mine, it has been a while a commendable act like that breaks the internet. Especially, in a country where millions of Naira is either awarded to dance competitions, rap battles or immoral TV shows. Perhaps, those who are setting mouthwatering records academically are only compensated with token.

Or shall we forget so soon, the 2017 best graduating student of UNICAL, Mr Agala Egbe, who despite topping his mates with an outstanding CGPA of 4.89 out of possible 5.00 and was only rewarded with a yucky prize of 10,000 Naira on their 30th convocation ceremony. Thanks to other bodies who later reached out to him, if not, that would have been the reward for the giant strides he took for years in the University.

A similar scenario was reported in 2018, when Ekiti State University rewarded her best graduating student from the Faculty Agricultural Science, Uwagwu Oluwadamilare Samuel with a sum of two Thousand Naira. While his fellow from Faculty of Arts, Fashina Aderonke Ashabi was rewarded with 250 Naira. How disgusting? So!

Gone are those days when academic excellence have values. Lately, if it is not about SUV motors to rap battles, it is about endorsement deals for dance competitions. The most distasteful of all is millions given to those who had sex on live TV. What a misplaced priority?

With the decreasing numbers of young minds willing to attend higher institutions, it is better to appreciate the ones doing well among them. Else, the slang ‘school na scam’ will be a forever song on their lips.

Born and bred in Ibadan, Hashim Yussuf Amao is a Graduate of University of Ilorin. He tweets via @LegalBard

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

(1) (Reply)

Online Tutorial For Secondary School Students / Can I Study Politics And International Relationship For Msc? / Free Online Courses And Where To Get Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.