Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,976 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah (1681 Views)

How Many Souls Escaped The 'Hell' Fire Of Sodom And Gomorrah? / Charred Remains Of Sodom And Gomorrah Discovered (videos & Photos) / Except God Intervenes, Nigeria Not Better Than Sodom And Gomorrah - CAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah by Kei144(m): 7:19am On Jul 03, 2020

A pillar of salt near ancient Sodom and Gomorrah, said to be Lot's Wife.

Lk. 17:26-37 26 “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.
28 “It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building.
29 But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.
30 “It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed.
31 On that day no one who is on the housetop, with possessions inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything.
32 Remember Lot’s wife!
33 Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it.
34 I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left.
35 Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left.”
37 “Where, Lord?” they asked.
He replied, “Where there is a dead body, there the vultures will gather.”
Re: A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah by Kei144(m): 8:10am On Jul 03, 2020
A pillar of salt named "Lot's wife" is located near the Dead Sea at Mount Sodom in Israel. The Mishnah states that a blessing should be said at the place where the pillar of salt is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot%27s_wife#:~:text=A%20pillar%20of%20salt%20named,the%20pillar%20of%20salt%20is.

A salt formation known as "Lot's Wife as a Pillar of Salt", located near the Dead Sea, at Mount Sodom in Israel.

Is Lot’s wife still standing near the Dead Sea?

When the cities of Sdom and Amora were about to be destroyed, Lot and his family were commanded (Breisheet 19:17) “Escape for your life; Do not look behind you and do not stay on the plain, run for the mountains lest you be consumed.”

Rashbam brings three reasons for why they were told not to look backwards:
So that they would not have mercy on their daughters and sons in law who refused to leave with them, so that they would not be held up along the way and so that they would not see the angels destroying the city.

When God poured sulphur and fire on the cities, Lot’s wife did not follow the commandment not to look back as it says in Breisheet 19:26 “But his wife looked back from behind him and she became a pillar of salt.”

Why did she look back after already being warned not to?

According to Pirkei De Rebbi Eliezer, she had mercy on her two married daughters who lived in Sdom and she wanted to check to see if they were following the rest if the family out of the city.

Near the Dead Sea, a huge rock was found which is identified as Lot’s wife. In the Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chayim 218:8 the halacha was codified: When you see Lot’s wife one should recite the blessing: “Dayan HaEmet” (Bless God who is the true judge) and in memory of Lot one should recite “Zocher Tzadikim” (Remember the Righteous).

Yesterday, I was driving along the Dead Sea and saw a sign that said “Lot’s wife.” The sign points to a rock formation that looks like a woman. The chances that this rock is actually Lot’s wife are very slim considering that the rock is much bigger than an actual person. Also, over thousands of years the shape of the rock would have probably changed. However, we know that she was turned into a pillar of salt in that vicinity, we just don’t know exactly where. The sign reminds us that the story took place in that area and the Dead Sea was formed by the destruction of Sdom and Amora and that is why to this day nothing will grow there.

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/is-lots-wife-still-standing-near-the-dead-sea/
Re: A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah by TheSourcerer: 8:23am On Jul 03, 2020
I believe this is true, wind dosn't blow in that area , and heat wouldn't shed break and re-shapen the 'salt', isn't God Awesome ♥️

So I decided not to foolishly believe that rock there has liver kidney , stomach womb etc as the Bible claimed

1 Like

Re: A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 03, 2020
My elder was there some time in the spring of last year and from the pictures that he posted, there was no way that thing could have been a lapidified human.

Went online to do a little research and I found out that it was nothing but the remains of a collapsed salt cave- about the biggest salt cave in the world.

In other words, the whole story is nothing but folk legend but it somehow found its way into the bible.
Re: A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah by Kei144(m): 4:44pm On Jul 07, 2020
mansakhalifa:
My elder was there some time in the spring of last year and from the pictures that he posted, there was no way that thing could have been a lapidified human.

Went online to do a little research and I found out that it was nothing but the remains of a collapsed salt cave- about the biggest salt cave in the world.

In other words, the whole story is nothing but folk legend but it somehow found its way into the bible.

The story of Lot's exit from Sodom, including Lot's wife turning into a pillar of salt is true; Jesus referenced it. That the particular rock shown in the pictures in my earlier posts is Lot's wife may be folk legend, which came well after the event of Lot leaving Sodom. Even Lot and his two daughters may not have witnessed Lot's wife turn into salt, unless the wife was in front of them when it happened. Bible account, as well as archaeological discovery, show that Lot and his two surviving daughters did not interact with any human being before they died. Only the Holy Spirit knows how the story and the rest of the Torah (five books of Moses) came about. The Jews regard the Torah as being straight from God.
Re: A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah by kingxsamz(m): 5:25pm On Jul 07, 2020
Lol, none of that ever happened.
Re: A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah by Kobojunkie: 5:59pm On Jul 07, 2020
mansakhalifa:
How did you come about this? undecided
The story said Lot's wife turned to salt, not stone, and this more than 5000 years ago. undecided
Re: A Pillar Of Salt Near Ancient Sodom And Gomorrah by Image123(m): 10:21pm On Jul 07, 2020
kingxsamz:
Lol, none of that ever happened.

You really expect a pillar of salt to remain there to prove to you that the event occurred? No wonder.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Advertise On Cool Fm And Other Radio Stations / Giving Unto God / Was Jesus Ever A Teenager?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.