Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,118 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem (45233 Views)

These Habits Will Kill Your Auto Transmission Fast Please Avoid Them. / Toyota Rav4 2001-2003 Ecm/ecu And Transmission Failure With Solutions / Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by earthrealm(m): 10:51am On Jun 25, 2013
ok, from ur acct, it appears the prob had already started b4, the pan incident..just that it was minor, so my advice still stands...PLS STOP DRIVING THE CAR...or u will wreck ur gearbox, and u will be changing both gearbox n ecm for the car to drive ok again

what ur mechanic is doing is resetting the ecm..by disconnecting the battery for some time...this resets the ecm..and the car will drive fine for some time..until the ecm memory is yet corrupted again by the bad shifting signals.....

changing the ecm will not solve ur problem...unless u switch to any of the ecms listed in the pdf i attached earlier on in the post..check the serial nos of ur ecm...then check from the chart and determine the correct ecm you shud buy........[size=18pt]I HAVE REATTACHED THE TSB FROM TOYOTA CORP USA[/size]

on the other hand...there is a procedure where the defective components [transistors, diodes] etc in ur old ecm is removed and new ones soldered back...this process is called refurbishing....so you could also buy a refurbished ecm from ebay usa and use it to replace the original ecm in ur car...that will work also.

another option is u contact oroz, he claims he can fix the ecm...so its upto u to work out the logistics involved.

the option ur mechanic is giving about swapping the engine n gearbox to that of another model..is a common advice/procedure here in nigeria too........i dont usually support such swap..cos the car will not function efficiently after such swap..it will never be 100% ok....many such swaps hv been done in nigeria...n the end result isnt always perfect.. unlss u r happy with 65% efficient car..then go ahead with the swap

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 11:05am On Jun 25, 2013
Still doing our wonderful work in the city of ph, and also going to places within the country just give us a call on 08034094226

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by mohamedbandali: 7:18pm On Jun 25, 2013
Dear Earthrealm,
Well,the rav4 problem solved after all.
It was ecm which was faulty, and its harness, the new ecm with new harness solved the problem, and the loss of power and gear change problem is a history now.
The car is running with more power nowwwww........lol.... grin grin grin.
Any way earthrealm, you have been of great help to me , keep it up, thanks very much. Mohamed

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by chiyex(m): 4:57pm On Jun 27, 2013
i have been able to buy the module here in the us. if you need one, you can text me. i am also on whatsapp. my number is 8327988032. my mom is in lagos and her 03 rav4 had the issue last friday. i will be shipping the module to her.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 4:18pm On Jul 15, 2013
The ecu is working perfectly
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 9:44am On Jul 25, 2013
i just got some new experience while fixing a client ecu in owerri, i will cheer it when im fully done with the solutions

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by Absimpson2005: 9:05am On Jul 27, 2013
Thanks to Engr. Bob, my Rav4 is moving and working perfectly after the ECU repair. I recommend Autowiz Nig ltd to all. U don't ve to sell that your Rav4 or allow ur mechanic to destroy it. A big thank you to Okey too from auto wiz who was able to make it to ASABA for the repair. AUTOWIZ NIG LTD IS REAL.

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by Absimpson2005: 8:04am On Jul 28, 2013
Absimpson2005: Thanks to Engr. Bob, my Rav4 is moving and working perfectly after the ECU repair. I recommend Autowiz Nig ltd to all. U don't ve to sell that your Rav4 or allow ur mechanic to destroy it. A big thank you to Okey too from auto wiz who was able to make it to ASABA for the repair. AUTOWIZ NIG LTD IS REAL.
Engr. Bob it will be good if u guys can ve ur workshop in Asaba.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by Absimpson2005: 8:06am On Jul 28, 2013
OROZ: i just got some new experience while fixing a client ecu in owerri, i will cheer it when im fully done with the solutions
We are waiting for u to share to d knowledge.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 11:31am On Jul 28, 2013
Absimpson2005: .
We are waiting for u to share to d knowledge.
we are still on it, i will definitely share it smiley
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 4:05pm On Aug 05, 2013
We suspect the locally installed security, if not installed properly it damages the power in the ecu making ur car not to have check light.then you just need to change the complete anex wiring system of the car and the fuse box coz to get the exact bad section is not so easy, but with patience and more time which not everybody would have, this only implies to those with the rav4 issue that goes off. Nevermind whatever the problem, it can always be soughted out in due time. But for your rav4 slaugish movement,bang noise in the transmission when moving, not running above 100km/h, does'nt change the complete gears, that has to do with the ecu, we are still doing the upgrades, the earlier u do urs the better for ur transmission, else u'll need to fix ur transmission and still upgrade ur ecu. I will be back with more info, give autowiz a trial, and u will be happy u did. Contact autowiz tru engr bob 08034094226 cheers cool
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by chiyex(m): 8:35pm On Aug 09, 2013
i just sent a ecm module from here in the US to my mom for her 2003 rav4. it was plug and play and the issue is resolved. she was so happy to be able to drive her vehicle again. if you need help, my email is chiyex@yahoo.com, my number is 8327988032. i am also on facebook. pls have your part number ready.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 8:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
Pls note, if ur rav4 does the engine off thing. That is a diffrent problem that attracts a diffrent charge entirely, my reason for comment is due to some couple off arguement with some costomers for not stating it b4 starting work, so please take note. We are still doing our upgrades, our price is now very fair, call now 08034094226 is the no. Engr Bob for AUTOWIZ NIG.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 9:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
we are still solving more rav4 ecu issues just keep the calls coming
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 8:04pm On Sep 10, 2013
autowiz still doing upgrade keep the calls coming 08034094226 Engr. Bob
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by DonId(m): 1:07am On Oct 02, 2013
I recently acquired a 2005 rav 4 in benin city that has gear shifting issues. The owner advised that I change the gearbox τ̅☺ resolve the issue. The mechanic on the other hand told me that the gear box was previously changed and the issue still persisted. My question is this; is it possible for this ecm issue to be present in a 2005 rav 4? How am I to know that if I buy a new gearbox, this issue will not just re-occur. You can contact me using my email idoksq@yahoo.com all help will be appreciated. Ʊ also stated that you have a place in benin, how can I reach you in Benin City
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by earthrealm(m): 8:03pm On Oct 02, 2013
how r u sure its a 2005 model? post the vin so we can confirm...the gearbox issue is only 01 to 03...check ur gearbox lfluid...maybe the previous owner put wrong fluid in there

Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by DonId(m): 11:08pm On Oct 08, 2013
Sorry I have not been around to provide the VIN for the 2005 Rav 4 I enquired about. The cars VIN is JTEGD20VX56002042. Also the car is a Rav 4S. I will like to find out if I will require a different kind of gearbox from the normal ones for the Rav 4L or Rav 4J. Expecting to hear from you soonest and thanks for your immense help so far.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 4:38pm On Oct 10, 2013
earthrealm: how r u sure its a 2005 model? post the vin so we can confirm...the gearbox issue is only 01 to 03...check ur gearbox lfluid...maybe the previous owner put wrong fluid in there
Experienced professional talk angry
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by OROZ(m): 7:16am On Oct 15, 2013
Autowiz will be in lagos today 15th to 19th of oct. all the lagos Rav4 2001-2003 ecu issues call let's sort it out
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by earthrealm(m): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
DonId: Sorry I have not been around to provide the VIN for the 2005 Rav 4 I enquired about. The cars VIN is JTEGD20VX56002042. Also the car is a Rav 4S. I will like to find out if I will require a different kind of gearbox from the normal ones for the Rav 4L or Rav 4J. Expecting to hear from you soonest and thanks for your immense help so far.

ok your car is truly a 2005 model...........
i feel that either
1. the wrong gearbox was put in
2. the wrong brainbox was put in
3. the wrong gearbox fluid was put in

from your account...the car appears to have been fingered a lot by clueless mechanics...so tracing and solving the problem wont be easy and would require lots ok knowledge and skill......
but one thing is sure...rav4 04/05 models dont hv the transmission problem of the 01 to 03 models
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by DonId(m): 1:31pm On Oct 19, 2013
Thanks for your post. I have changed the gear box for the car and now the car behaves exactly like the 2001-2003 ecm problem earlier discussed. It sort of ceases power between gears 2 and 3, then thereafter jumps into the 3rd gear. I went to the market in Benin and they did not have the ecm type I found in the car. The ecm I found in the car is 89661-42A91. So I am ordering the same number from Lagos and hoping it solves the problem once and for all. What I probably need from you now is for you to confirm if changing the same ecm type will solve the problem or if I need to get another type of ecm (if so I will appreciate the ecm number that will be compartible with mine above. Thanks for the great job you are doing on this forum.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by earthrealm(m): 9:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
ok..you didn't state the type of fluid you poured inside the car.......the ecm serial nos is a little odd 42A91, the 'A' is kinda strange...I wud advise you to look for a similar 05 rav4 and check the ecm nos...so u will be sure of the correct nos.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by DonId(m): 12:11pm On Nov 04, 2013
Thanks for your response. I have parked the car right now, pending when I can get the right ECM. After changing the gearbox, we put Oando transmission oil in it before we observed the jerking issue. using the cars vin, i was able to check on toyotapartzone and 2 other websites that the correct ECM for the car is either 89661-42B80 or 89661-42B01. using internet images and other internet sources to check, i was able to confirm that 42B80 should do the job. I am searching for the 42B80 right now but have not seen in Naija. I am hoping to have someone buy it from the US so that I can put it in the car and hope the ECM problem goes away forever. so is there need for me to change the transmission fluid from the Oando one that the car currently uses?

I hope people can learn from me, especially those of us that are buying cars that have gone thru the hands of naija mechanics that believe any part can work in a car so far as it matches.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by earthrealm(m): 6:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
ok good u hv been able to confirm that the 'mechanic' installed a wrong ecm in your car...that has been one of my suspicions right from the beginning............naija mechanics are terrible...ignorant and clueless.............I rarely let them touch my car without careful supervision...nd I try to do the basic maintenance like oil and gear box fluid change, spark plugs change etc myself...to avoid story grin.

I don't know the specs of the oando gearbox fluid...but I believe its wrong...the rav4 uses Toyota type T IV fluid, its sold about 7k naira..its in a metal tin like turkey groundnut oil of those days..........drain the oando and pour in the type t iv fluid...make sure you clean/wash the filter screen inside the gearbox fluid sump............drive the car for about 1 to 2wks 50 to 100 or more miles.....if you notice any improvement....then buy another type tiv fluid and drain again...you do this to ensure that you dilute the contents of the gearbox to a very low volume...the rav4 gear box contsind abt 6 to 7 liters of fluid...but only about 3 to 4 liters come out during a fluid change...so dilute the oando fluid you put there b4 to very low levels...u need to do the 2nd fluid change after a while....

I hope you understand what am saying?....also its best you do this after you hv changed the ecm to the right one...its good u hv decided to park the car s usuing it in this situation will further damage ur gearbox...cheers
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by DonId(m): 8:28pm On Nov 04, 2013
Thankx once again!

I do appreciate your help. Before I bought the Oando oil, I checked to know that toyota uses I-IV but could not find it around. It was because of that, that I decided to the Oando since it was the best around. The one I saw in the type of can u just described is the seahorse type of gear oil which still is not I-IV.

So I would appreciate if you can get me the exact market name for the toyota type since all my search is turning up dextrose type II and III mostly. I still await my ecm and will keep you posted once I get it.

I will seriously appreciate the market name for the toyota gear oil.
Re: Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem by earthrealm(m): 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2013
ITS MADE BY SNLOC a company in UAE, under license from Toyota corp japan.
I bought it in ikoku in ph, though I believe it will be available in big shops in onitcha or lagos...it comes in 1 liter n 4 liter metal cans.......attached is a pics of the product.
you can also buy any good type t iv fluid from usa...........original quality

Young Nigerian Man Recreates His Own "Mercedes G Wagon" (Pics/Video) / Locally Made Car Spotted In Amassoma, Bayelsa (Photo) / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65