Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 (60190 Views)

Fire Outbreak At Imo Airport: DJ Barbie, Others Survive ( Video) / Pictures From The Construction Of Lagos-Ibadan Rail Project / How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ugo4u: 5:51pm On Jul 05, 2020
A document that contains a comprehensive list of major donors for the construction of Sam Mbakwe airport in present day Imo state, as posted by Sam Hart, this is the only airport in Nigeria and the west African region to be built by the people. It is worthy of note that this was done barely 13years after the fraticidal Civil war that almost wiped out the economic power of the then eastern region. Honestly, the resilience, never die spirit and industry of the Igbo man ought to be studied and replicated across Nigeria. I buy into the school of thought that the Igbos have the key to unlock the economic potential of Nigeria.

This is a great piece of history. May our names be in the good books just like Mordecai when history is revisited.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hartng/status/1279719874282037251

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ugo4u: 5:52pm On Jul 05, 2020
To think that these people rose from the very ashes especially from the demonic policy of £20, to embark on such gargantuan project only concretise the myth behind the Igbo man.

427 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by SmartProf(m): 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2020
Wow...no act of charity or kindness no matter how small is ever wasted. Weldone to the donors. I just hope the person who wrote the donations up there with plenty cancellations, remitted the whole money

94 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by GboyegaD(m): 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2020
Community project. If a few people perhaps with some support of the government could build airports back then, why do modern day government borrow outrageous amounts to renovate existing airports?

215 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Simplyleo: 5:55pm On Jul 05, 2020
But in 2020, na Buhari all of them dey shout upandan. undecided

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ugo4u: 5:58pm On Jul 05, 2020
Simplyleo:
because he is mortgaging the future of generations unborn with reckless loans.

228 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Bekool(m): 5:59pm On Jul 05, 2020
ugo4u:

A document that contains a comprehensive list of major donors for the construction of Sam Mbakwe airport in present day Imo state, as posted by Sam Hart, this is the only airport in Nigeria and the west African region to be built by the people. It is worthy of note that this was done barely 13years after the fraticidal Civil war that almost wiped out the economic power of the then eastern region. Honestly, the resilience, never die spirit and industry of the Igbo man ought to be studied and replicated across Nigeria. I buy into the school of thought that the Igbos have the key to unlock the economic potential of Nigeria.
This is a great piece of history. May our names be in the good books just like Mordecai when history is revisited.

My late dad also donated #100 i can still remember.

130 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by yinkus6750(m): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2020
That was when real citizens were concerned about the well being of the people.
Not selfish purpose as it's obtainable now.
And now everyone waits for government for everything.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by phoenix911: 6:38pm On Jul 05, 2020
Simplyleo:

Your ignorance is showing if not, you would have known that the management of airports in Nigeria is in the exclusive list. Yes, Imolites built the airport but the state government cannot manage it, so Buhari is in charge of the exclusive list and that is why (na Buhari all of them dey shout upandan). whatever that means.

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by yanabasee1(m): 6:46pm On Jul 05, 2020
Simplyleo:

Because, as at 1983, Buhari was warming up to destroy the country's economy and pre-1983 the people had a better economy and a better welfare and less taxation...

Pre-1983, Nigeria was competing with US economy and had better currency exchange rate favourable to the black marketers across the country....

People could easily make donations without having to pay tax in the process...Unlike today's stamp duty charges and other transaction charges.......

91 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by AsabaPropertyAg(m): 6:52pm On Jul 05, 2020
I can see Arthur Eze's name on the list, this philanthropist has been doing good for over 3 decades.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by SpacehubTech: 6:53pm On Jul 05, 2020
Awesome

6 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by yanabasee1(m): 6:56pm On Jul 05, 2020
Simplyleo:
[s][/s] Yen yen yen yen yen.
Shut up there and get out. angry

This is bully....I am certainly reporting this post.....

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Born2Breed(f): 6:58pm On Jul 05, 2020
grin

Igbo's must be respected.

They are great people, just like the air they rose despite Nigerians trying to put them down.

The most annoying part are those leeches who have nothing but get everything.

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by MetaPhysical: 6:59pm On Jul 05, 2020
How are we sure these were donations to fund an airport? Where is the authenticity to prove this claim?
grin

3 Likes

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by joeyfire(m): 7:01pm On Jul 05, 2020
Igbo Amaka cool just few years after the civil war this feat was achieved

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by horsepower102: 7:03pm On Jul 05, 2020
I have been saying that if we igbos can come together and contribute money, we can build all the major infrastructures that Nigerian Government is denying us.

Op thanks for this thread.

90 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by jlinkd78(m): 7:08pm On Jul 05, 2020
Igbo di uto

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by ChiefS(m): 7:14pm On Jul 05, 2020
I was a kid then. The fundraising was held at the Aba sports stadium. The patriotic efforts of the donors are quite commendable. I hawked pancake outside the stadium on that fateful Saturday with little hope of boarding an airplane. The rest is history. To God be the glory.

159 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by kolaaderin: 7:24pm On Jul 05, 2020
ugo4u:

All fake documents, windows Microsoft word type setting in 1983. You can do us a favour and retype this in its accessible format as at 1983.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 05, 2020
Everything in Nigeria is scam

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by NaijadrivaCars: 7:26pm On Jul 05, 2020
Imagine! Just few years after the Civil War, Imolites donated such sums (in billions of Naira today) to build that Airport.

Dee Sam Mbakwe remains the best Governor of Imo State.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Donors For The Construction Of Imo Airport In 1983 by PureGoldh(m): 7:26pm On Jul 05, 2020
Nice one.....when Naira still get value

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year / Why Our Govt Banned Dependents Visa For Nigerian Students – British High Comm. / Okada Man Overtaking A Tanker Involved In Accident In Lagos,1 Killed (Graphic Pi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.