Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,687 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up (1482 Views)

BOOM � I Have Finally Increased My Phone's RAM From 3 To 6GB (screenshots) / How To Increase Your Android Phone Ram / Smart Phone: Ram Vs Processor.... Who's Boss??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by RubiesBanking: 7:41pm On Jul 10, 2020
I noticed this on most high end phones, even if the ram is about 6gb, 4gb is already being used when nothing is being done on background and same thing also occur for higher end devices.
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by atheistandproud(m): 8:42pm On Jul 10, 2020
Who told you nothing is being used in the background?

A lot of stuff are going on in the background that keeps your phone alive and running so long as it's on.

1. The no 1 killer of RAM space is the OS. The Operating system.

2. The UI that runs on the OS is also another RAM drinker. The UI is the part of the OS that you interact with on your screen.

3. System apps running in the background

4. Other 3rd party apps that are always awake in the background too

5. System processes keeping your radio alive so your phone consistently has network as well as other processes.

I'm sure my ogas will tell you more

18 Likes

Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by KrazyDave16(m): 9:24pm On Jul 10, 2020
Already simplified above me but there's more.

The reason most of your apps load quickly is because they're cached in memory. They also affect RAM but in a good way.

The apps aren't running, either in foreground or background but they're not completely closed, unless you load another app needs larger memory to run and the least used app is cleared from cache or in some cases, some apps will start up like you forced closed them.

It's the reason why Gmail doesn't waste time opening and the reason Facebook is always running and using certain apps or features like camera, play services, clipboard, fonts (yes, they do), etc adds more processes to RAM making it feel like the RAM isn't enough to run demanding apps. That could change with Android 11 though

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 11:44pm On Jul 10, 2020
The two guys above me already answered what i wanted to say
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by punisha: 12:37am On Jul 11, 2020
atheistandproud:

A lot of stuff are going on in the background that keeps your phone alive and running so long as it's on.

2. The UI that runs on the OS is also another RAM drinker. The UI is the part of the OS that you interact with on your screen.

5. System processes keeping your radio alive so your phone consistently has network as well as other processes.

Yes o...
U also left out the part where the ram is too stubborn. That's why they kill it on Ramadan

Everything about the ram is is always almost not usually very complicated.

Let me also wait for my oga's to contribute to the little I have said.

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by Youngpo413: 3:02am On Jul 11, 2020
You need an iphone!
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by ZesusHVWritter(m): 4:33am On Jul 11, 2020
Youngpo413:
You need an iphone!
Keep going I am watching you.
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by lanre316: 5:40am On Jul 11, 2020
punisha:

Yes o...
U also left out the part where the ram is too stubborn. That's why they kill it on Ramadan

LOL. Funny guy
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by Youngpo413: 6:48am On Jul 11, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:
Keep going I am watching you.
sorry Boss.
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by skywalker240(m): 8:06am On Jul 11, 2020
punisha:

Yes o...

grin grin grin grin

please i no wan laugh cry cry laugh.

abeg stop am

1 Like

Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by punisha: 8:23am On Jul 11, 2020
skywalker240:

grin grin grin grin

please i no wan laugh cry cry laugh.

abeg stop am

I have stopped am sir.
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by skywalker240(m): 8:29am On Jul 11, 2020
punisha:

I have stopped am sir.
sometimes when you log into nairaland in public places na so people go just dey think say you start craze new.

all of una for this forum na charecter grin
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by festwiz(m): 8:35am On Jul 11, 2020
Adding to what A&P already said, memory management on Android is different than PC. There's this saying that "free Ram is wasted RAM".

Most apps need to be cached in memory to allow faster load times, especially social media apps. The free memory youre seeing is for larger processes like games that may need to write more objects in memory while in use.

If you think your phone is lagging despite having free memory then your SoC is the culprit and not your RAM.

Atheistandproud has an article on that. Look it up.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by punisha: 8:43am On Jul 11, 2020
skywalker240:

sometimes when you log into nairaland in public places na so people go just dey think say you start craze new.

all of una for this forum na charecter grin

I remember my early days on NL.
I took life so serious.
Always on d offensive.
Moment I learnt that anyone can come and ask how to sleep without closing ur eyes here, I gave up.
Now, occasionally being an slowpoke here does it for me.
No cussing, no fighting, no bad vibes.
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by Freelancerx: 12:16am On Jul 12, 2020
atheistandproud:

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by rowland545(m): 4:19am On Jul 12, 2020
Lemme say something quickly about the ram that u don't know.

The ram is a very good integral part of life of the cell. It can also be used as a good source of meat for the cell...

Make una no vex abeg....I thought we were talking about the ram meat....I don't know its another ram.

I don't have anything meaningful to say angry
Re: Why Do Phone Ram Memory No Matter The Size Always Get About 60-80% Used Up by scarycuteface(m): 6:18pm On Jul 12, 2020
The OS alone takes big space and there's always one other system data too, it includes logs, other resources currently in use by the system.

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need Help You Unlock This Xiaomi Phone / TECNO Partners Easybuy To Offer Instalment Plan With Just 30% Initial Payment / What Do You Think About The 55000 Mh New Age Poweebank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.