Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,664 members, 7,851,262 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:03 PM

Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway (1438 Views)

Creative Ways That Car Owners Transformed Their Car Dents (pics) / Why Do People Cover Their Car's Plate Number When Posting Pictures?? / 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 10:57am On Jul 11, 2020
Hi there,
there is this strange feeling I get when my car stopped me halfway to my destination in the middle of traffic or nowhere, and I coud tell lot of you have been through the same lane of frustration & you wonder, what happens that within the chunk of population of cars and people passing, not one of them is a mechanic?

The answer is, there are mechanics among them, but it's only outskirts that you could get those but in abuja city, motorists are terrible, I have once upon a time to do some road rescue mobile mechanic, with most necessary tools and parts in my trunk, when I met people who are stranded, & each time i get close to ask, I get these, I have my mechanic, another is a suspicious look like fishing something different from my primary care & intent, most of them are mostly desperately looking for a towing van if their mechanic can't come around,

and the worst of all on my part is where I get to put the prospect emotional state at the forefront while my interest comes second, but i always get hit by these decisions becouse at last, the motorists who is attempting to get a towing van that will cost between 10k to 20k depending on the distance, gets his or her back to order by me, but now comes the terr
ible act which is how they left me feeling,

Which is, please manage this N500 or N1k i didn't budget for this, & this Knicks me out, cos he or she was desperately trying to get a towing van to tow it off to a safe location, at least 10k but after fixing the car, I get that piece of shit saying manage this N500 i don't have much here or i don't budget for this.

And I could relate this to be the reason why if a mechanic sees you and your car in bad shape in the middle of the road he will not even get closer.

To Nigerian mechanics who has faced this similar situation, I don't implore you to stop, but to continue with a change of your attitude, you don't let your good heart get ruined by another bad one, instead change your mindset,

Like take your time to put your job first in the road rescue situation, observe the problem, then give the motorist a cost, agree on a fixed amount before doing the job,

The one i did last night on 10th july 2020 was stucked in the middle of the road creating traffic situations, i got the car started up and she fold the two papers and tell me i don't have much on me lets share, i thought it's 2k but reaching home, hmmm bro it's N400

I know if her mechanic get to come out that odd hour, the cost will double the normal charge as for off garage it will be 3 times. But this is the last thank you note any good mechanics wanna try, there are chances of damaging your expensive scanner cos you want to get it fixed asap which will create a bypass of safety measures to catalyze the diagnosis & fixing speed.

I don't know about all you, but every good service have is not free, nothing is free as important as where you are going so his.

4 Likes

Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by eherbal(m): 11:27am On Jul 11, 2020
there's this mentality of entitlement with nigerians.they expect everyone to be their brothers keepers hence the situation you found yourself.im not a mechanic,but I have fair knowledge of how vehicle works. when I stop to offer assistance,it's for free.your thank you is a enough for me because we never negotiated anything in the first place.
I've had my car jump started with 1k before by a fellow driver.it was agreed upon before he jumpstarted the car.fair enough,but I won't because of that start charging everyone who needs my help for a jump-start. it's always been pro bono.
so next time sir,let the stranded driver know you're a mechanic (unless you're ashamed of your profession) and negotiate your price and terms before providing your services.

12 Likes

Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by Legendforte: 11:34am On Jul 11, 2020
Some men are deceitful, cunning and lack mind of appreciation. Nevertheless, I love helping people in my own capacity.
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by EngRichie: 6:57pm On Jul 11, 2020
Generally, Engineering is underpriced and underestimated in Nigeria.
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 11:25pm On Jul 11, 2020
Legendforte:
Some men are deceitful, cunning and lack mind of appreciation.
Nevertheless, I love helping people in my own capacity.

It's just men women are more
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 11:25pm On Jul 11, 2020
EngRichie:
Generally, Engineering is underpriced and underestimated in Nigeria.
Thats true

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 11:31pm On Jul 11, 2020
[quote .[/quote]

Well thank you is not enough, you might know a lot but of you have invested enough, you will expect a reasonable amount of money to risking your equipment trying to save someone for thank you sake, you might get rubbed trying to help,

Mostly in the night at odd hours. Bro it's not worth the high rist by putting your life in danger.

Not withstanding that most of them will take you for a job hunter or a quark tech.
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by portplus: 4:54pm On Jul 19, 2020
mrcoolautofix:
Hi there,
there is this strange feeling I get when my car stopped me halfway to my destination in the middle of traffic or nowhere, and I coud tell lot of you have been through the same lane of frustration & you wonder, what happens that within the chunk of population of cars and people passing, not one of them is a mechanic?

The answer is, there are mechanics among them, but it's only outskirts that you could get those but in abuja city, motorists are terrible, I have once upon a time to do some road rescue mobile mechanic, with most necessary tools and parts in my trunk, when I met people who are stranded, & each time i get close to ask, I get these, I have my mechanic, another is a suspicious look like fishing something different from my primary care & intent, most of them are mostly desperately looking for a towing van if their mechanic can't come around,

and the worst of all on my part is where I get to put the prospect emotional state at the forefront while my interest comes second, but i always get hit by these decisions becouse at last, the motorists who is attempting to get a towing van that will cost between 10k to 20k depending on the distance, gets his or her back to order by me, but now comes the terr
ible act which is how they left me feeling,

Which is, please manage this N500 or N1k i didn't budget for this, & this Knicks me out, cos he or she was desperately trying to get a towing van to tow it off to a safe location, at least 10k but after fixing the car, I get that piece of shit saying manage this N500 i don't have much here or i don't budget for this.

And I could relate this to be the reason why if a mechanic sees you and your car in bad shape in the middle of the road he will not even get closer.

To Nigerian mechanics who has faced this similar situation, I don't implore you to stop, but to continue with a change of your attitude, you don't let your good heart get ruined by another bad one, instead change your mindset,

Like take your time to put your job first in the road rescue situation, observe the problem, then give the motorist a cost, agree on a fixed amount before doing the job,

The one i did last night on 10th july 2020 was stucked in the middle of the road creating traffic situations, i got the car started up and she fold the two papers and tell me i don't have much on me lets share, i thought it's 2k but reaching home, hmmm bro it's N400

I know if her mechanic get to come out that odd hour, the cost will double the normal charge as for off garage it will be 3 times. But this is the last thank you note any good mechanics wanna try, there are chances of damaging your expensive scanner cos you want to get it fixed asap which will create a bypass of safety measures to catalyze the diagnosis & fixing speed.

I don't know about all you, but every good service have is not free, nothing is free as important as where you are going so his.

I have learnt a valuable lesson today!
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 8:50am On Jul 22, 2020
portplus:

I have learnt a valuable lesson today!

Look if you are stranded & a mechanic took his time to stop to rescue you out of your situation. I you failed to encourage him, by complementing his effort with financial thanks,

you are discouraging others to help you or anyone next time, I don't care what anyone thinks about this,
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2020
I couldn't understand a single thing.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 9:25pm On Jul 26, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Your parents truly wasted their money sending you to school, if they would have sent you to almajeri you would have be more profitable atleast you don't need english.
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:39pm On Jul 26, 2020
mrcoolautofix:

Your parents truly wasted their money sending you to school, if they would have sent you to almajeri you would have be more profitable atleast you don't need english.

Eh, I doubt that.
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 10:29pm On Jul 29, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Eh, I doubt that.
If a clown knows he is insane, he is not fit for a clown.
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:06pm On Jul 29, 2020
Ironic.
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 2:57pm On Jul 30, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Ironic.
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by legionISproteus: 7:39pm On Jul 31, 2020
Good will is not rewarding in Nigeria.

Have you ever helped a badly injured accident victim that died before you reached the hospital?

Let's not even go there

HeavenlyBang:
grin cut him some slack. Maybe English is not his first language

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by Wigetsolar: 10:43pm On Jul 31, 2020
Entitlement. Wetin
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by Darkseid(m): 10:54pm On Jul 31, 2020
One thing I've learnt while dealing with Nigerians is that unless you are planning to work for free, you have to make your price known before starting the work.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 8:42am On Aug 01, 2020
Darkseid:
One thing I've learnt while dealing with Nigerians is that unless you are planning to work for free, you have to make your price known before starting the work.
That's 100% truth but we have to change that parception
Re: Reason Why Mechanics Don't Assist Nigerian If Their Car Stopped Halfway by mrcoolautofix(m): 8:43am On Aug 01, 2020
legionISproteus:
Good will is not rewarding in Nigeria.

Have you ever helped a badly injured accident victim that died before you reached the hospital?

Let's not even go there

grin cut him some slack. Maybe English is not his first language

Chop off his brain someone have straw inside it

(1) (Reply)

Siberian Husky Puppies / Honda Element 2003 / Behold, Cars That Don’t Need Spare Tyres!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.