Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn (12786 Views)

Some Nigerian Drivers Can Be Dirty!! (pictures) / 15 Annoying Things Our Neighbours Do With Their Cars / Annoying Things Lagos Drivers Do On The Road By AutoReportNG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by AutoJoshNIG: 6:45am On Feb 07, 2018
The essence of a car horn is to warn others your vehicle is approaching and to call people's attention to potential hazards. But it seems some drivers don't understand this as they tend to use the horn of their cars for practically any and everything. You "pah-pah" your horn to greet your neighbours when going out...  You "pah-pah-pah" when you want to buy Gala on the road... and the cycle goes on and on.

Statistically, honking is an aggressive act and should be avoided except absolutely necessary.

So if you've been using the horn of your car to do the following, now is the time to stop:

To greet
The horn is a warning and not a greeting device but some of us use it to greet all our neighbours when leaving for work and when heading back home. Imaging greeting and warning people at the same time. It's time to stop all the confusion. You remember that friend that came to visit you over the weekend, you waved them goodbye and they honked back at you instead of waving back.. lol

To vent their anger
This is the number 1 reason people use their horn in Nigeria. Everyone is vexing. Vexing because of traffic, vexing at the government, vexing at their last mess up. So they vent that anger on everyone on the road with that deafening horn. Just try to slow down for pedestrians at a zebra crossing and some drivers will attack you with the wrath of their horn from behind. Patience usually solves the problems better than the horn.

Just to play
Some drivers just honk along with the music from the radio. Some just keep tapping the horn continuously all the way to their destination especially the bike (Okada) riders. Before we know it now, government will just pass a law to be arresting drivers for honking their horn.

To call people especially the security guard when going out
There is a way some drivers have mastered the horn of their car, they even know how to use it to pronounce different names especially the names of their domestic staff. They can even form sentences like "Akpos, hurry up". In some countries, it is illegal to honk the horn of a stationary vehicle.

Honking at pedestrians or bikers
It is unfair when you intimidate pedestrians, bicycle riders and bike riders with the horn of your car. This is illegal in several countries that have laws protecting its citizens. Some drivers will blow their horn at pedestrians from behind for them to walk fast because they want to park their car on the shoulder of the road. Out of reflex, the pedestrian can even jump into the gutter or the biker can fall off the bike.

Let's learn to share the road with others.

Don't forget to like, rate, share and tell us the most absurd thing you've seen someone do with the horn of their car. 

https://autojosh.com/5-annoying-things-nigerian-drivers-do-with-their-car-horn/

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by eleojo24: 7:16am On Feb 07, 2018
The thing that annoys me is those okada men who fix trailer horn on their bikes.

If they press the horn, you will nearly jump off the road only to turn and see one two-wheeler pass by sad

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by fulaniHERDSman(m): 7:16am On Feb 07, 2018
i c
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by olaxx: 7:16am On Feb 07, 2018
That moment you are at the forefront and the traffic light suddenly changes from red to green.
The next thing u notice is horn blaring from all angle asking you to either move or get off the road.
Nigeria motorists can be so impatient.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by iornenge81(m): 7:17am On Feb 07, 2018
cool
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 07, 2018
Nigerians and horn eeh. grin

I can't remember the last I used a car horn, even when in Nigeria, I find it hard to use it.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by koolgee(m): 7:20am On Feb 07, 2018
Very true.
Nigerians like using their horn for almost everything.

But, just imagine moving on the Nigeria road without hearing the blare of a horn, its gonna be boring mehn...
We are already used to the noise grin grin

23 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Bifrost: 7:22am On Feb 07, 2018
AutoJoshNIG:

To call people especially the security guard when going out
There is a way some drivers have mastered the horn of their car, they even know how to use it to pronounce different names especially the names of their domestic staff. They can even form sentences like "Akpos, hurry up". In some countries, it is illegal to honk the horn of a stationary vehicle.

https://autojosh.com/5-annoying-things-nigerian-drivers-do-with-their-car-horn/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

This one is funny. grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by papi22(m): 7:22am On Feb 07, 2018
commercial bus use it to call passenger

5 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Balkan(m): 7:23am On Feb 07, 2018
Honking on traffic light.

Nigerian Drivers will start honking onece the traffic light is on yellow not even on green.
This one is so annoying. They will not give you one second to move your car.
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Princeoflimpopo(m): 7:23am On Feb 07, 2018
abegi nothing can stop us from pressing pi pi

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by BedLam: 7:24am On Feb 07, 2018
Nigerian drivers are too lame for my liking. Nigerias don't even know there's a rule that applies when driving a roundabout.

You know someone is reversing on a major road while you are at the person's back...but then you are still honking like you are not aware the person is reversing ? If this is not madness, I don't know what it is.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Nobody: 7:25am On Feb 07, 2018
Every morning my neighbor always wake me with horn

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by EagleScribes: 7:25am On Feb 07, 2018
To show amazement or attract babe when driving past.

O boy see sonting! cheesy

15 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by maxiuc(m): 7:25am On Feb 07, 2018
cheesy

Have you forgotten this is Africa Nigeria precisely

Hmmmmm

Pom pom pom pom pooooooooooomm

Op clear road
To avoid stories that touch I use my Horn constantly
If you don't want scratch on your car better be skillful with your Horn

I blow horn when the coast is not clear to avoid oga abeg

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by obembet(f): 7:26am On Feb 07, 2018
You are right...
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by BedLam: 7:26am On Feb 07, 2018
olaxx:
That moment you are at the forefront and the traffic light suddenly changes from red to green.
The next thing u notice is horn blaring from all angle asking you to get off the road.

It's so appalling. Even the 7th person who knows a lot of vehicles would have to move before he moves starts blaring horn.

7 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by methodman(m): 7:34am On Feb 07, 2018
The OP is actually right but at the same same do you think most people just derive pleasure in doing that?

I do that especially when I see how funny and irritating some other road users can be. Especially the Napep riders. They can stop anytime, anywhere without even using the indicator light.

Also when you want to get into a street, have u noticed how this same keke riders drop off passengers at the main entrance to a close instead of them parking or doing the needful.

The 3rd one is also for this same funny keke riders. When they are at the junction trying to pick up passengers, have you noticed they sometimes almost even pick then up on the road and even sometimes try to move or enter the road back without even using their side mirrors? I so much dislike those people.

I won't lie to you....I use my horn just to make some nuisance know what they are doing is wrong and to get them off the main road without causing unnecessary traffic. angry angry angry

13 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Oyerinde16(m): 7:35am On Feb 07, 2018
fLD
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Connoisseur(m): 7:40am On Feb 07, 2018
BedLam:
Nigerian drivers are too lame for my liking. Nigerias don't even know there's a rule that applies when driving a roundabout.

You know someone is reversing on a major road
while you are at the person's back...but then you are still honking like you are not aware the person is reversing ? If this is not madness, I don't know what it is.

Please tell me why someone should be reversing on a major road

9 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Emmy3(m): 7:41am On Feb 07, 2018
6. To draw the attention of people that they have a new car....

Nairalanders, please help a brother in need.
View the topic below for more info.
https://www.nairaland.com/4331505/urgent-need-personal-business-loan

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Angelawhite(m): 7:44am On Feb 07, 2018
First, honking horn is not for warning, it's for calling to attention
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Ghnaija(m): 7:51am On Feb 07, 2018
I really like your write up but the problem is the road.lot of pot hole left and right, children crossing on main roads and also no zebra crossing, sellers put there goods on pedestrian to sell cos there is no money to rent expensive shops were is even the light to power traffic signals, hold up all the time because of tiny roads. God help us all shalom undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by tk4rd: 7:52am On Feb 07, 2018
Horning Your Horn Nonstop When The Horn Of Other Horners Are Horning Nonstop Too.

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by 2RUTHHURTS(m): 8:01am On Feb 07, 2018
Op, u try o, infact u deserve a statue in Imo state, no. 5 though

5 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Sirdiq21: 8:03am On Feb 07, 2018
kai In Zee North Ko we use horn to show zee type of cars we drive God Punish Hausa walahi
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by femi4: 8:08am On Feb 07, 2018
6. To check if the battery is still in good condition

1 Like

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Sirmuel1(m): 8:12am On Feb 07, 2018
eleojo24:
The thing that annoys me is those okada men who fix trailer horn on their bikes.

If they press the horn, you will nearly jump off the road only to turn and see one two-wheeler pass by sad

Most times they fix horns meant for a train grin
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by kammali: 8:14am On Feb 07, 2018
Please les stop honk the horn from now,before apc government officials they wll come out to areas u and u pay fore the offense u comit...
Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerian Drivers Do With Their Car Horn by Nobody: 8:14am On Feb 07, 2018
You must honk here in Lagos, love it or hate it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"For Sale" Sign On Moving Vehicles Illegal - FCT VIO / See How To Debadge A Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Or Any Car Brand / Useful Car Information at Mr. Transmission/Milex, Carquest BLOG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.