Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,988 members, 7,835,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. (2733 Views)

what tribe has the highest percent of literate population? / PHOTO (WAEC): No Yoruba State Among The Top 10 Literate / The Star Of Africa: Racism In Schools In Finland - Mother Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Johndot: 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2020
Literacy can be said to be the center piece of a nation’s progress, it’s social development and economic growth. The ability to read and write provides more educational and employment opportunities to the population, allowing people to increase their household incomes and bring their family out of poor conditions. Below are listed the top literate countries in Africa.

1. Seychelles: is the first country in Africa with a high level of literacy based on both sexes. It follows strictly the guidelines of the UNESCO. Some of these guidelines includes; to establish free primary education, to improve the quality of childhood education, to improve adult literacy and to provide gender equality in all institutions of learning.

2. Equatorial Guinea: research has shown that the literacy rate in Equatorial Guinea is about 95% for both males and females above 15 years of age. The country has made a significant progress toward the education goals, thereby achieving a preschool enrollment of over 70% in 2015. This continued commitment to improved education is expected to be reflected in future literacy rates.

3. South Africa: the country has recorded over 95% literacy rate mostly in the adults as the younger persons have somehow experienced a decline in education.

4. Libya: the country has recorded 91% literacy rate. The country works to eliminate illiteracy through several prevention methods, like making school mandatory for youth, and several reactive methods, like opening adult literacy centers in each of the districts enhance learning and improve the literacy rate of the adults.

5. Namibia: the government of Namibia has increased its educational expenditures and as of 2013, allocates 29% of the federal budget to boast public education. The country generally has about 91% literacy rate.

6. Mauritius: it has also experienced an improvement in its literacy rates, which currently is at 91%.

7. Cape Verde: Currently, with an 88% literacy rate, it also ranks too among the most literate countries in Africa. This increase in literacy is due to the educational system that was put into place after this country gained its independence in 1975.

8. Botswana: it also ranks top among the most literate countries in Africa with an 88% of the population over 15 years of age who are able to read and write. This reflects the commitment to education made by the government of Botswana and the success of its National Literacy Programme. This program was established in 1977 and has made significant progress in reaching the adult illiterate population.

9. Swaziland: it has an increased literacy rate of 87% of it’s population who are able to read and write. This has been one of the major achievements of the education system of the country since it’s Independence.

10. Zimbabwe: it also ranks among the top literate African countries with a 87% literacy rate.
In conclusion Education in Africa is known to have always been on the verge of decline as most African countries boast of a very low literacy rate among adults.

It is then of little wonder why education is not a topmost criterion when choosing a national leader in the African continent. In countries where there are educated presidents in juxtaposition to their performances is an irony, which then makes the educational credentials of African presidents in comparison to good leadership, not a criterion.

Although, Africa has the most educated leaders in the world, and the continent continues to experience plodding progress. Many critics have also attributed this to the high level of corruption evident within African governments.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by NettyNelly(m): 4:39pm On Jul 14, 2020
Here in Nigeria our education system is belittling.
My signature is saying something

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Vyzz: 4:44pm On Jul 14, 2020
Wait

SA is there and I can't find My country....

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by popsy2(m): 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2020
Ok
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by missawele(f): 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2020
Nigeria isn't even on the list.

A big shame.

What was I even expecting?

A country whose educational system is in shambles.

Yamayama country with yamayama leaders

Anyway, I am a digital marketing strategist and business coach. I help small business owners find clarity in their business & make sales online. If you are trying to start a business and don't know how to go about it, stuck in your business, want to make sales or just generally finding things difficult in your business, reach out to me. I can help,
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by chatinent: 4:54pm On Jul 14, 2020
I'm not amazed at seeing Seychelles, it's a toddler to the Commonwealth Secretariat.
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by ukukaegbu(m): 4:56pm On Jul 14, 2020
No Nigeria on the list??
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Ugaboy: 4:57pm On Jul 14, 2020
That list is fake if nijeria is no there...o.p make a new list, stop giving us bad feelings
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by darfay: 5:12pm On Jul 14, 2020
missawele:
Nigeria isn't even on the list.

A big shame.

What was I even expecting?

A country whose educational system is in shambles.

Yamayama country with yamayama leaders

Anyway, I am a digital marketing strategist and business coach. I help small business owners find clarity in their business & make sales online. If you are trying to start a business and don't know how to go about it, stuck in your business, want to make sales or just generally finding things difficult in your business, reach out to me. I can help,

You expected Nigeria on the list with the illiterate North?
With 10million out of school children and almajiri better look for Nigeria on the most illiterate country

7 Likes

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by LordIsaac(m): 6:08pm On Jul 14, 2020
Nigeria is a country where youths consider someone like Tacha and her likes celebrities. Therefore, we are not qualified to be on that list. Simple. undecided

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by dinoplus: 8:11pm On Jul 14, 2020
Has Nigeria finally been sold? Where is my country? shocked

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by sacajawea: 8:11pm On Jul 14, 2020
Nigeria no for dey dia now. Abi you thought naija go dey there?
Nigeria is a very illiterate country actually, way too many Illiterates!
People fo not read at all! Basic education is Just for going sake
University is for money and prestige
Very Useless Country!
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 14, 2020
darfay:

You expected Nigeria on the list with the illiterate North?
With 10million out of school children and almajiri better look for Nigeria on the most illiterate country

I swear if they should remove north out of Nigeria, Nigeria will improve in many statistics, education, low poverty rate, civilization, etc. But with them, Nigeria stands no chance

6 Likes

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by merieam16(f): 9:08pm On Jul 14, 2020
Lolz. my beloved country no dey der.
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by mytime24(f): 9:41pm On Jul 14, 2020
I yhink say naija no dey carry last angry
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Bimpe29: 9:54pm On Jul 14, 2020
So, the giant of Africa is not in the top 10
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by HunterArt: 10:28pm On Jul 14, 2020
mytime24:
I yhink say naija no dey carry last angry

For the list... naija no even dey tenth list. Na abas and magu we get here.
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by abumeinben(m): 11:02pm On Jul 14, 2020
Vyzz:
Wait

Sorry, your country went out to "price" corruption, as seen in AGF son wedding of splashing dollars that can fix literacy issues.
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by omunabo(m): 12:24am On Jul 15, 2020
You mean there is no Nigeria in the list

Something is wrong

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by shesawesome(f): 1:05am On Jul 15, 2020
Nigeria is not on the list . That's a bummer
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by shesawesome(f): 1:05am On Jul 15, 2020
Nigeria is not on the list . That's a bummer
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Graysons: 1:17am On Jul 15, 2020
shesawesome:
Nigeria is not on the list .
That's a bummer
Ghana is not there as well undecided
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Nova1988(m): 1:30am On Jul 15, 2020
donproject:

I swear if they should remove north out of Nigeria, Nigeria will improve in many statistics, education, low poverty rate, civilization, etc. But with them, Nigeria stands no chance

What did we fucking do to you Igbo people undecided
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Adventurer000: 1:32am On Jul 15, 2020
I'm not surprised seeing sychelles
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Ezmans: 5:43am On Jul 15, 2020
Vyzz:
Wait

please am looking for there giant of Africa country
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by selemempe: 5:46am On Jul 15, 2020
Nova1988:

Igbo people don't want to be in the same country with you
He'll millions of them have died just so they can be In a separate country from you
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by selemempe: 5:49am On Jul 15, 2020
Nova1988:

90% of our problem in Nigeria is caused by the north. I'm sure even you know this.
The type of things southerners do like yahoo, prostitution and drug trafficking are also done by developed countries like u.s, south Africa, Brazil
But check the countries that do what north does. Terrorism. Countries like Afghanistan, Somalia, Iraq

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by phemmyfour: 6:25am On Jul 15, 2020
How can Nig be on the list when BH is against formal education
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Askme2020(m): 12:21pm On Jul 15, 2020
donproject:

correct point
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by german01(m): 12:44pm On Jul 15, 2020
Source ?
Re: 10 Most Literate Countries Of Africa. by Denique(f): 12:49pm On Jul 15, 2020
dinoplus:
Has Nigeria finally been sold? Where is my country? shocked

Second list;
“10 Most Illiterate Counties of Africa”

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sad: Here Are The 4 Reasons Why The VC Of UNILAG Was Removed Today / Obi Cubana Sprays Money On Naked Girls In Pool. They Were Also Sweeping Cash / ‘we Target 800,000 Students Entering Universities By 2016’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.