Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,943 members, 7,952,802 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:00 AM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (64929 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:58pm On Oct 30, 2011
chikeuz:

Stop this whole going-ons about tribal marks: they have never made nobody prettier and will never do. The thing makes people fugly-o joro njo

YOU ARE UGLY MAN YOURSELF. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

MY DAUGHTER AND MY WIFE, BOTH HAVE TRIBAL MARKS. YET THEY ARE BOTH, BY THE GODS, THE PRETTIEST WOMEN I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS.

before you insult someone, gol ook yourself in the mirror. angry
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by amor4ce(m): 12:00am On Nov 04, 2011
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by amor4ce(m): 12:01am On Nov 04, 2011
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 12:37am On Nov 04, 2011
it doesnt matter. It's what these people consider beautiful, it is a part of their culture. Not everyone will think everything is beautiful, but if it is your culture, you hold on to it and do not forsake it for someone elses. The first thing you lose are your traditions, the next thing you lose is your history, once you lose your history, you have to rely on a foreigner to tell you what happened.

They may not like you. Remember that.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by amor4ce(m): 3:35am On Nov 04, 2011
Are you sure they are not doctrines of men that were portrayed as sacred tradition? Can they point to their origins?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 5:37pm On Nov 04, 2011
Are you sure they are not doctrines of men that were portrayed as sacred tradition? Can they point to their origins?

Their ancestors did it and so they do too, that makes it sacred to them. Can you point to the origins of your christianity?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by amor4ce(m): 9:54pm On Nov 04, 2011
The origin can be traced to the promise given to Adam and Eve in Africa.
By the way, even Christians have been warned about those who teach as doctrines the tradition of men.

Why did their ancestors do it in the first place? Did the Creator of heaven and earth give the order, or did some men start it?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 10:02pm On Nov 04, 2011
Why did their ancestors do it in the first place? Did the Creator of heaven and earth give the order, or did some men start it?

U realize the jews recorded their traditions in the various books that make up the bible? The only difference is that they wrote theirs in a book.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by amor4ce(m): 10:30pm On Nov 04, 2011
Israel and not Jews recorded their history.
Are you willing to accept that many of the descendants of Abraham are in Africa today primarily because of idolatory, and that many were carried away as slaves to the Americas by the Amorites?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:05am On Nov 05, 2011
amor4ce:

The origin can be traced to the promise given to Adam and Eve in Africa.
By the way, even Christians have been warned about those who teach as doctrines the tradition of men.

adam and eve did not exist. we are descendants of the ape-men.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2011
adam and eve did not exist. we are descendants of the ape-men.

you believe that? Is that compatible with ur religion?

I dont know if i really believe that.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:15pm On Nov 05, 2011
yes ofcourse I beleive that. there is proof.

my Relgion is for it. we hold animals in high reverence and we have no shame in saying that all animals be it human or ape are equal. the animals came first, that is what the religion says. so be it.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by anonymous6(f): 12:11am On Nov 24, 2011
[b]"Nigeria

On the right is a photograph of a Yoruba woman. The patterns on her body are called kolo. Kolo designs consist of short, shallow, and closely spaced cuts into which a dark pigment such as lampblack or charcoal is inserted. Kolo cuts are made with a special Y-shaped blade, one of which can be seen in the ‘Body Arts’ display in the Museum.

Kolo beautify the body but are also considered a test of women’s bravery. By exhibiting her willingness to bear pain, a woman with kolo is asserting that she is strong enough to endure the pain of childbirth. People praise a woman covered with kolo by saying ‘she is very courageous’ and ridicule a woman without kolo by saying ‘she is a coward’.

This is an early twentieth-century pottery head with scarification marks from the Tiv people of Nigeria. Amongst the Tiv scarification is necessary for a person to be considered beautiful. Scarification styles change from generation to generation.

Nigeria mapScars on a woman’s stomach are also considered to be Intimate. Because the scars remain tender for a few years after they are made, they are considered erogenous. It is said that a woman who has them will demand more intimate attention and therefore be more likely to have children. "[/b]
http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/scarification.html

Yoruba woman with tribal & art marks on her body

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/bodyart/picture_21.html
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 12:26am On Nov 24, 2011
^^^^

Wow that is so pretty thanks for posting.

It's amazing how quickly Africans have abandoned their culture. Can anyone tell me why? Those marks are beautiful.

And whatever happened to the natural indigo cloth and handmade clothes? Do they still make it like that anymore? I see so many Africans with what appears to be made in China/India fabrics now.

The markings indian women put on themselves are considered beautiful and people can get them done in malls and amusement parks, why cant we have people imitating us anywhere? Why do our marks have to be ugly in our own eyes? Please tell me there is somewhere in Nigeria where Yoruba women hold on to these traditions.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by anonymous6(f): 1:05am On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

^^^^

Wow that is so pretty thanks for posting.

It's amazing how quickly Africans have abandoned their culture. Can anyone tell me why? Those marks are beautiful.

And whatever happened to the natural indigo cloth and handmade clothes? Do they still make it like that anymore? I see so many Africans with what appears to be made in China/India fabrics now.

The markings indian women put on themselves are considered beautiful and people can get them done in malls and amusement parks, why cant we have people imitating us anywhere? Why do our marks have to be ugly in our own eyes? Please tell me there is somewhere in Nigeria where Yoruba women hold on to these traditions.

It is still going on in the villages and non-cities of Nigeria. You will see it still going on with the fulani's, Yoruba's and etc. In Yorubaland it still exist in the villages of course(in small numbers), so don't worry. You will see signs of it on Yoruba movies. Do you watch Yoruba movies?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 1:17am On Nov 24, 2011
It is still going on in the villages and non-cities of Nigeria. You will see it still going on with the fulani's, Yoruba's and etc. In Yorubaland it still exist in the villages of course(in small numbers), so don't worry. You will see signs of it on Yoruba movies. Do you watch Yoruba movies?

No, I have seen some Ghanian movies. Mercy Johnson is my favorite, but I dont see anyone doing the kolo markings anymore, least i cant find it on the internet.

The thing is these things die out. There is immense discrimination against villagers in African societies. I dont see how these people can hold out.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by anonymous6(f): 1:37am On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

No, I have seen some Ghanian movies. Mercy Johnson is my favorite, but I dont see anyone doing the kolo markings anymore, least i cant find it on the internet.

The thing is these things die out. There is immense discrimination against villagers in African societies. I dont see how these people can hold out.

Mercy Johnson is Nigerian and from the bini tribe, also village life will always be part of most african countries, especially Nigeria. Not every where is turning to a city. You really need to go to Nigeria to different parts before making wild assumptions.

many Nigerians build houses outside the cities of Nigeria you know
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 1:46am On Nov 24, 2011
Mercy Johnson is Nigerian and from the bini tribe, also village life will always be part of most african countries, especially Nigeria. Not every where is turning to a city. You really need to go to Nigeria to different parts before making wild assumptions.

I dont make assumptions. I listen to people talk and pick up from them. Do you know I come from a marginalized people? I live in the effects of what marginalization can do. Everytime you turn on your tv and see lil wayne rapping about "money over everything" or nicki minaj telling you to bust her puss-y open in the islands of wakiki after you "give her all your money and all your residuals" you are seeing an example of marginalization. Sure to God our ancestors were not taken here with those morals and values.

BTW, mercy johnson I did not even know she had a big butt. My first movie I saw her in was the one where she is the police officer, I was so captivated by her. So she is from naija that's good to know.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by anonymous6(f): 1:53am On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

I dont make assumptions. I listen to people talk and pick up from them. Do you know I come from a marginalized people? I live in the effects of what marginalization can do. Everytime you turn on your tv and see lil wayne rapping about "money over everything" or nicki minaj telling you to bust her puss-y open in the islands of wakiki after you "give her all your money and all your residuals" you are seeing an example of marginalization. Sure to God our ancestors were not taken here with those morals and values.

I know I was born & raised in America so I get it

BlackLibya:

BTW, mercy johnson I did not even know she had a big butt. My first movie I saw her in was the one where she is the police officer, I was so captivated by her. So she is from naija that's good to know.

Yeah Mercy Johnson is Nigerian, and yes, lol she has a big behind
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 2:29am On Nov 24, 2011
I know I was born & raised in America so I get it

which part?

Yeah Mercy Johnson is Nigerian, and yes, lol she has a big behind

yes but in the movie when she is the police officer u cannot see it. Did u see that one? I thought she was skinny till i saw the movie about her and the white men. LMAOOO @ the song for that one. However, I thought the way her character dressed distracted me from the movie at times.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by anonymous6(f): 3:50pm On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

which part?

East coast, that is all I can tell you

BlackLibya:

yes but in the movie when she is the police officer u cannot see it. Did u see that one? I thought she was skinny till i saw the movie about her and the white men. LMAOOO @ the song for that one. However, I thought the way her character dressed distracted me from the movie at times.

I don't know all of Mercy Johnson's movies but the only movie I know she was in with a white man, which I didn't watch either was white hunters; any way I never knew she played a police officer.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 5:25pm On Nov 24, 2011
East coast, that is all I can tell you

There are 13 states in the Northeast alone and like 100 million people. Dont be afraids.

I don't know all of Mercy Johnson's movies but the only movie I know she was in with a white man, which I didn't watch either was white hunters; any way I never knew she played a police officer.

Yessssss, that was it. Why didnt u watch?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by anonymous6(f): 11:23pm On Nov 24, 2011
BlackLibya:

Yessssss, that was it. Why didnt u watch?

that movie just didn't interest me, it just seems tacky and weird to me
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by BlackLibya: 11:33pm On Nov 24, 2011
Lol, but the song is so true. There are so many African women like this. African Americans too!

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CayNgho2wFg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>[/flash]
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Ptolomeus(m): 7:21pm On Mar 12, 2012
anonymous6: [b]"Nigeria

On the right is a photograph of a Yoruba woman. The patterns on her body are called kolo. Kolo designs consist of short, shallow, and closely spaced cuts into which a dark pigment such as lampblack or charcoal is inserted. Kolo cuts are made with a special Y-shaped blade, one of which can be seen in the ‘Body Arts’ display in the Museum.

Kolo beautify the body but are also considered a test of women’s bravery. By exhibiting her willingness to bear pain, a woman with kolo is asserting that she is strong enough to endure the pain of childbirth. People praise a woman covered with kolo by saying ‘she is very courageous’ and ridicule a woman without kolo by saying ‘she is a coward’.

This is an early twentieth-century pottery head with scarification marks from the Tiv people of Nigeria. Amongst the Tiv scarification is necessary for a person to be considered beautiful. Scarification styles change from generation to generation.

Nigeria mapScars on a woman’s stomach are also considered to be Intimate. Because the scars remain tender for a few years after they are made, they are considered erogenous. It is said that a woman who has them will demand more intimate attention and therefore be more likely to have children. "[/b]
http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/scarification.html

Yoruba woman with tribal & art marks on her body

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/bodyart/picture_21.html

Excellent explanation dear friend anonymous6
Thank you very much for the wonderful contribution!

It is strange that some people who do not know the meaning of certain rituals and certain traditions advocate the right of wanting to "ban".
It is the occidental and christian mind .. They force others to buy their habits and beliefs, and trample the culture of others.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Ndipe(m): 8:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
https://medium.com/@Psalmadek/the-cultural-heritage-of-tribal-marks-9d51cad03b7a

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..' / Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.