Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,046 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? (28552 Views)

Why Do People Frown At Using Left Hand / Facebook User Lashes Out At People Who Condemn Rites Done By Ooni's Queen / What Is Wrong With Using Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by cornel00(m): 6:59pm On Jul 14, 2020
I have always wanted to ask this question for sometime now cos i don't really understand the mystery behind it.

I went to a shop to buy some provision, i tried to pay the seller with my left hand because my right hand was occupied with my tool box, she insisted i must give her the money with my right hand which i have no problem with, but i really want to know the reason so i thought bringing it up here will go a long way hearing different people's opinions.

People see it as a bad manner, but to me, it means nothing. I believe one cannot wash right hand effectively without the left hand. So why the condemnation? Is there any religious reference to back it up with?

Thank you!!!!

110 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by herkeem: 11:39am On Jul 15, 2020
I think this is as a result of the name given to left hand by our people. Especially the Yoruba, they regard the left hand as 'Owo osi' and Osi is a bad thing as far as the Yoruba are concerned. Thus using left hand to give or receive something is regarded as bad habit. Also, Islamic religion also frowns at using left hand because it is regarded as a satanic habit.

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by EyezofGod120: 11:39am On Jul 15, 2020
grin na African mentality,,, if I use left hand give u money and regect,,I go use d left hand put am back for my pocket

137 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by OYENIYIJK: 11:39am On Jul 15, 2020
It means something especially in Yoruba land. I don't see any reason behind it but just kinda a lack of moral.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by SmartPolician: 11:39am On Jul 15, 2020
Intimidating and discriminating against the lefties

66 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Jetland(m): 11:39am On Jul 15, 2020
Ask the elders grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Hezzyluv: 11:39am On Jul 15, 2020
Na African mentality. God that created both hands, does it mean he made a mistake? make we stop dey use cutleries eat na.

116 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Fragility6: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
I no know o
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Rikze: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
I. In this part of the world it is considered:

(1) Disrespectful

(2) Because of (Our backwardness) superstitious belief it is considered a bad luck to receive or give with the left hand especially for traders.

(3) The right hand sometimes symbolizes strength, authority and acceptance. Eg. My right hand man!!

For me, however, all hand na hand. Inasmuch I cannot create a left hand of own, why do I reject it? I take from both hands and give with both especially if I'm dealing with people who are not stuck in the past.

Peace!!!

139 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by poiunt: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
Dont know. i wonder how left handed people cope in our society

Funny enough, left and right hand are hands, both used in doing things

i still dont understand the logic

maybe we should just cut the left hand off since it is useless according to Nigerian culture

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by integrity16(m): 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
K
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by flowjoe: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
It’s old, ancient & archaic. It should be scrapped off angry

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Openbusiness3: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
grin if I tell u the real reason, uno go believe grin

7 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Edopesin: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
Well that's just one of the numerous beliefs stemmed from the overwhelmingly illiterate society we grew up in, I personally believe these ignorant beliefs have their roots from local traditions and or religions of pre colonial Nigeria but we still haven't dropped them

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by janedonez(m): 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
Why do you call it 'right' hand and the other left?

7 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Ray360: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
Lol. They believe the left hand is what you use to wash your bum bum. And that it would bring badluck.

26 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by pastie(m): 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
People dey mental,

Finally because there is nothing right on the left and nothing left on the right hand.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by okezuoemmanue(m): 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
Qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbn

5 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Lovexme(m): 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
Only a backward society would continue with such.

Why is the right hand somewhat superior to the left?

What makes it a taboo to give/receive with the left hand?

10 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2020
Obviously a symptom of low IQ. Why limit yourself to one hand when you have two.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by blackseed(m): 11:41am On Jul 15, 2020
Nothing bad , it just old mentality of our forefathers

6 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Orelafintun: 11:41am On Jul 15, 2020
Because you do good things with right hand and bad with left

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Joshmanuel10(m): 11:41am On Jul 15, 2020
Don't known I always think about it
But respect is shown in character not in d left hand

10 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by ednut1(m): 11:41am On Jul 15, 2020
It is a backward and silly society

11 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by meum: 11:41am On Jul 15, 2020
Lol.
I don't pay attention to such.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by oluwaseyi0: 11:41am On Jul 15, 2020
Archaic but prevalent practice

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) / The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.