Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal (3891 Views)

Claiming Damages For Manhandled Vehicles At SALLAUM LINES / VP Osinbajo Drives Kona, Nigerian-Made Electric Car At #MadeInNigeria Exhibition / Sbarro 4×4+2: The Ugliest Car At The 2018 Geneva Motor Show (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by abdulizom(m): 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2020
I have 3 cars I bought from US shipped to Nigeria through Sallaum Line, all the 3 were vandalize in there terminal.

When I raised an objection the first 2 car {2013 Toyota Venza and 2010 Toyota Camry}, the Agent said nothing can be claimed since the cars had left their terminal.

I then asked that the third be left there until we are certain that there is no any form damage.
Lo and behold, the rear lights disappeared and from the report I gathered key sensor gone too just like the case of the 2010 Camry which I slept 61k to fixed {40k=Sensor,10k=Workmanship and 1k=battery hire} the key sensor.

The car is in there terminal, I need advise on how to go about reclaiming my items from them and payment for damages. If possible litigation if there is resistance.

Below are the pictures from the first car to the one left in their yard.
Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by abdulizom(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2020
Car in US

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by abdulizom(m): 3:14pm On Jul 16, 2020
Car in Naija with roof chromes gone, rubber at front wippers attached to windscreen gone and doors pads

Video not uploading, but I've it
Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by abdulizom(m): 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
Car in US with sensor attached to the steering neck, but missing in Naija

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by abdulizom(m): 3:25pm On Jul 16, 2020
Car in US with rear lights

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by abdulizom(m): 3:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Car now in Sallaum terminal without rear lights

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by abdulizom(m): 3:30pm On Jul 16, 2020
I had spent 61k to fix the Camry key sensor and exactly 100k to buy the accessories stolen from the first Venza, what nonsense inside Sallaum yard for God sake.

Now, second Venza right inside their with rear lights gone and possibly key sensor.

Please, I need help and ready from litigation if that's the last option.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by aieromon(m): 6:43pm On Jul 16, 2020
abdulizom:
I had spent 61k to fix the Camry key sensor and exactly 100k to buy the accessories stolen from the first Venza, what nonsense inside Sallaum yard for God sake.

Now, second Venza right inside their with rear lights gone and possibly key sensor.

Sorry about the bad experience.

https://www.nairaland.com/5318649/lagos-port-messed-cars

https://www.nairaland.com/894718/car-ever-been-vandalised-port

https://www.nairaland.com/1807688/car-vandalisim-nigerian-ports-real

Cc calculusx
Cc DelTel
Cc Readonee35L
Cc chukel
Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by calculusx(m): 7:43pm On Jul 16, 2020
abdulizom:
Car now in Sallaum terminal without rear lights

• Have you asked why this particular part was stolen and not the one attached to the quarter panel? You'll be lucky if you get it at Ladipo. I had to order for this particular part from US.
Back to your complain, you won't be able to get any claim if the Car has left their Terminal. It takes forever to get claim for the Cars they admitted parts were stolen let alone the one that has left their terminal.
Here is what to do next time you ship through Sallaum. Your Agent should settle the Port rats so they won't steal anything from your Car. Have you seen some Cars with Yellow, White or Blue Celotape on their windshield like the one attached below? Such cars were secured by the thieves themselves and they send me pictures before getting paid, so parts won't get missing. In this business you'll be forced to done with the devil. Imagine me buying these parts if stolen. As small as they are, they are scarce and expensive to replace. Just count your loss and move on. You wouldn't want to give yourself headache trying to get a claim from Sallaum

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by DelTel(m): 8:56pm On Jul 16, 2020
Calculus x has told you the situation at Sallaum already, I don't think you will get anything from them (as I haven't gotten anything)
https://www.nairaland.com/5391599/2012-lexus-rx350-vin-070468

Sallaum is the worst (Grimaldi do treat stolen key matter), they are terrible but not their fault but the incompetent hands we have in authority (I petitioned the FCCPC since last year and no response since).

If you have the time for court case, perhaps that could help.

They have even graduated to stealing all sort of keys, remote or not.

Leaving the vehicle there means you will be paying demurrage whenever you pick it up.

Situation like this shows Naija is a lawless jungle.

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by Readonee35L(m): 8:05am On Jul 17, 2020
abdulizom:

If your vehicle was shipped as run and drive. Kindly file a claim for the key,
As for physical body damage, that's unavoidable in naija naija port for now

1 Like

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by aspiring44: 8:19am On Jul 17, 2020
abdulizom:

Sorry for the loss. Its really disheartening . An importer brought in car and two of the catalyst were stolen , battery gone . Though most of the time cars at the ship side suffers this rate .

In future, your agent should be on ground and ensure he liase with the security to help you secure the car before arrival to avoid vandalization and theft..
Secondly,. You can follow up your claim to the letter and you will be compensated . Escalate it to sallaum office in Lagos and their office overseas.
Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by eherbal(m): 5:13pm On Jul 17, 2020
I think it's safer bringing in the cars in skeletal form. you can do this by asking whosoever is shipping the car to you to remove all vital parts,send them to you before car reaches port . on receipt of car at the port,fix the parts then drive home.my thoughts tho

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by thebigkendo(m): 8:40pm On Jul 17, 2020
eherbal:
I think it's safer bringing in the cars in skeletal form. you can do this by asking whosoever is shipping the car to you to remove all vital parts,send them to you before car reaches port . on receipt of car at the port,fix the parts then drive home.my thoughts tho
grin

1 Like

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by buygala(m): 9:09pm On Jul 17, 2020
eherbal:

And how much do you think will be the cost of shipping and refixing 'vital parts' such as headlights, rear lights, door trims and window switches, car entertainment system, side mirrors, fender and bumper sensors, catalyst, and brainbox? ...since all these items are quite delicate, shipping all these stuff down to Naija will cost a small fortune...then Customs may waylay you at point of receiving the items and slam a hefty duty on them...

Even reprogramming some of the sensors and brain boxes here in Nigeria will cost a fortune...

The best advice has already been given by someone here....Pay the thieves to watch over the yam for you and go to sleep grin
...They will ensure that even fly doesn't touch your vehicle...

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by DelTel(m): 9:14pm On Jul 17, 2020
eherbal:

Nice thought, but very difficult/impossible in reality.

Which particular part(s) is vital: for instance, all Lexus from 2006 use keyless remote control. If the key is removed, the vehicle automatically becomes a forklift unit (which is additional $500 fee) and also prone to more damage.

The items to be removed might also be damaged in the process. Sending the items to Nigeria will also incur some costs too.

In all, that process is cumbersome and could be counter-productive. We haven't even factored in the new directive that forklift vehicles are not to be accepted henceforth.

Best Solution is for the relevant authorities to do their job. The silence of Port authority, FCCPC -Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, ANCLA is not golden!

Sallaum and Grimaldi are just taking advantage of the lackadaisical and incompetent regulators in Nigeria. They see Nigeria as a country of anything goes! Attached is the only correspondence I got from FCCPC since November 2019 over the vandalism of my 2012 rx350.

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by foolbuster: 1:29am On Jul 18, 2020
calculusx:

• Have you asked why this particular part was stolen and not the one attached to the quarter panel? You'll be lucky if you get it at Ladipo. I had to order for this particular part from US.
Back to your complain, you won't be able to get any claim if the Car has left their Terminal. It takes forever to get claim for the Cars they admitted parts were stolen let alone the one that has left their terminal.
Here is what to do next time you ship through Sallaum. Your Agent should settle the Port rats so they won't steal anything from your Car. Have you seen some Cars with Yellow, White or Blue Celotape on their windshield like the one attached below? Such cars were secured by the thieves themselves and they send me pictures before getting paid, so parts won't get missing. In this business you'll be forced to done with the devil. Imagine me buying these parts if stolen. As small as they are, they are scarce and expensive to replace. Just count your loss and move on. You wouldn't want to give yourself headache trying to get a claim from Sallaum

Tuehh !!!!
Are we really in a country or a war torn zone for chrisakes. It has now gotten to the level of paying ransome to the thieves. Ok na aaa.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by Readonee35L(m): 1:32am On Jul 18, 2020
Smh.
Sallaum lines has showed me pepper.
I bought an es350 on iaa and shipped via sallaum lines , the vehicle was rammed at the front and the whole front end was damaged (bumper and charger headlamps) + stolen key fob and engine cover .

I have a 2019 Accord shipped via sallaum.
Vehicle arrived on 20dg01 lo and behold the key Fob is stolen .

Truth is when shipping with Sallaum lines , Avoid clearing through offdock terminals (claron and classic), duty might be favorable but vehicle will get physical damages during transfer %100.

If your vehicle is also a non starter be rest assured the vehicle will be damaged on all angles, this is guaranteed cheesy

In cases of stolen keys, if the vehicle is a Runner you can file a claim , but if its a non starter or forklift , kindly forget about it.

My advice if you have a forklift vehicle, kindly hide the keys inside the vehicle , if the vehicle is a non starter or Run and drive , you should be able to get a claim for the key smiley

1 Like

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by foolbuster: 1:32am On Jul 18, 2020
DelTel:

Best Solution is for the relevant authorities to do their job. The silence of Port authority, FCCPC -Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, ANCLA is not golden!

Sallaum and Grimaldi are just taking advantage of the lackadaisical and incompetent regulators in Nigeria. They see Nigeria as a country of anything goes! Attached is the only correspondence I got from FCCPC since November 2019 over the vandalism of my 2012 rx350.

God bless you sir. The rot in the country have not yet affected your common sense like it has rotted the brains of some people. Not that i blame people that are paying the thieves but why encourage it for crying out loud.
Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by calculusx(m): 7:17am On Jul 18, 2020
foolbuster:

God bless you sir. The rot in the country have not yet affected your common sense like it has rotted the brains of some people. Not that i blame people that are paying the thieves but why encourage it for crying out loud.

Nobody is encouraging them. It's called check and balance. Filing for claim with Sallaum is an effort in futility. Grimaldi do pay for claim but not Sallaum.
Look at the 2 Rav-4 attached below, the one with yellow tape was secured, no part was stolen but the one without yellow tape wasn't secured, extra tyre n tyre cover were stolen. Replacing the both of them will cost me 70k. You see why one have to dine with the devil. Sallaum will not pay for those.
Do you know how long it takes to remove Catalyst from a Car? They now do this in Port especially when your Car is parked at Ship side. It took me time before I could believe Catalyst could be stolen from a Car inside the Port.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by DelTel(m): 9:32am On Jul 18, 2020
Readonee35L:
Smh.
Sallaum lines has showed me pepper.

I have a 2019 Accord shipped via sallaum.
Vehicle arrived on 20dg01 lo and behold the key Fob is stolen .

My advice if you have a forklift vehicle, kindly hide the keys inside the vehicle , if the vehicle is a non starter or Run and drive , you should be able to get a claim for the key smiley

It is impossible with Sallaum (at least for now); only Grimaldi.

Even ordinary key is stolen at Sallaum (I mean Hyundai Elantra key without remote o).

Catalyst is craziest, they use grinding machine right inside the terminal, sea side and vicinity of the Port.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by DelTel(m): 9:39am On Jul 18, 2020
calculusx:

Nobody is encouraging them. It's called check and balance. Filing for claim with Sallaum is an effort in futility. Grimaldi do pay for claim but not Sallaum.
Look at the 2 Rav-4 attached below, the one with yellow tape was secured, no part was stolen but the one without yellow tape wasn't secured, extra tyre n tyre cover were stolen. Replacing the both of them will cost me 70k. You see why one have to dine with the devil. Sallaum will not pay for those.
Do you know how long it takes to remove Catalyst from a Car? They now do this in Port especially when your Car is parked at Ship side. It took me time before I could believe Catalyst could be stolen from a Car inside the Port.

The point is that arrangement will fail some day. I actually paid for my Lexus RX 350 but it was still vandalized up to N1m - key fob, power control, woofer, side mirror, catalyst, engine cover, back light name it!

Except the agent didn't pay and only took my money undecided.

The agent claimed it was vandalized before the vessel was discharged, he was saying in Cotonou or so, that even 3vehicles went missing in the vessel (I didn't believe him thou).

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by heykims(m): 10:02am On Jul 18, 2020
My side mirror was also also stolen at the Sallaum terminal about 2 weeks ago.
What I found most amusing was how they got access into the car as the lock handles were also unscrewed and stolen.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by foolbuster: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2020
calculusx:

I understand where you are coming from. Its just so annoying that things have detoriated to this point.
Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by aspiring44: 1:22pm On Jul 18, 2020
heykims:
My side mirror was also also stolen at the Sallaum terminal about 2 weeks ago.
What I found most amusing was how they got access into the car as the lock handles were also unscrewed and stolen.

Always give bill lading on time to your agent so that a security guard will keep watch .

As the vessel is discharging the vehicle is taking to a secured place.

2500 - 3000 will do a lot to avoid theft and vandalization.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by aspiring44: 1:28pm On Jul 18, 2020
DelTel:

The point is that arrangement will fail some day. I actually paid for my Lexus RX 350 but it was still vandalized up to N1m - key fob, Power control, woofer, side mirror, catalyst, engine cover, back light name it!

Except the agent didn't pay and only took my money undecided.

The agent claimed it was vandalized before the vessel was discharged, he was saying in Cotonou or so, that even 3vehicles went missing in the vessel (I didn't believe him thou).

One cannot just decipher where theft or vandalization do occur. But , most especially is always at cotonou because they prey randomly on vehicles before the vessel reaches here.

And they still bring the stolen keys to ladipo for sale
Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by legionISproteus: 7:31am On Jul 19, 2020
The so-called port rats are the staff working at SALLAUM TERMINAL. No regular thief would stroll into a yard to take away parts from parked cars. They are getting bolder by the day! Imagine marking cars that have "settled" with yellow tape. Very soon they would issue receipts and even have their own port rat head office angry

9 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by DelTel(m): 10:51am On Jul 19, 2020
legionISproteus:
The so-called [b]port rats are the staff working at SALLAUM TERMINAL. [/b]No regular thief would stroll into a yard to take away parts from parked cars. They are getting bolder by the day! Imagine marking cars that have "settled" with yellow tape. Very soon they would issue receipts and even have their own port rat head office angry

� 100%.

I went to Sallaum with some policemen and the expat terminal manager instructed his guys to show us footage. They just kept coming up with different excuse stories and didn't show us anytime! From log-on password incorrect to the IT guy no come that day, at a point the computer went off o! Nothing achieved and the policemen concluded the Sallaum staffers are not only involved but main perpetrators.

8 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:24pm On Jul 19, 2020
DelTel:

� 100%.

I went to Sallaum with Zone 2 policemen and the expat terminal manager instructed his guys to show us footage. They just kept coming up with different excuse stories and didn't show us anytime! From log-on password incorrect to the IT guy no come that day, at a point the computer went off o! Nothing achieved and the policemen concluded the Sallaum staffers are not only involved but main perpetrators.

This country no fit better again. Be like say na containerized sure pass now.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by calculusx(m): 2:20pm On Jul 19, 2020
DelTel:

� 100%.

I went to Sallaum with Zone 2 policemen and the expat terminal manager instructed his guys to show us footage. They just kept coming up with different excuse stories and didn't show us anytime! From log-on password incorrect to the IT guy no come that day, at a point the computer went off o! Nothing achieved and the policemen concluded the Sallaum staffers are not only involved but main perpetrators.

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by legionISproteus: 2:51am On Jul 20, 2020
DelTel:

� 100%.

This rogues should be detained until the CCTV footage is released. That is robbery and is what we need SARS for but they go on the streets checking people's mobile banking app.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Claim Damage On My Car At Sallaum Terminal by promotervickky(m): 12:20pm On Jul 20, 2020
DelTel:

� 100%.

Okay, it's getting heated up, we need to do something ASAP. This non-sense at the port needs to stop.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help, My Honda Civic Refusing To Accelerate / Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? / World’s Most Expensive Car Mercedes Benz Sl600 Covered With 300,000 Diamonds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.