Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack (24274 Views)

Twitter Hack: Florida Teenager Arrested / US Investigates Nigerian Fraudster Ring For Fake Unemployment Claims / Zamfara Investigates Qur’an In Sewage, Promises N2m Reward For Information (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Issiijay(m): 12:34am On Jul 17, 2020
The FBI has launched an investigation after hackers hijacked Twitter accounts of a number of high-profile US figures in an apparent Bitcoin scam.

"The accounts appear to have been compromised in order to perpetuate cryptocurrency fraud," said the bureau, urging the public to be vigilant.

Elon Musk, Bill Gates and Joe Biden were among those hit in what Twitter said was a "co-ordinated" attack.

Their official accounts requested donations in the cryptocurrency.

"Everyone is asking me to give back," said a tweet from the account of Mr Gates, the Microsoft founder. "You send $1,000, I send you back $2,000."

The US Senate Commerce committee has demanded Twitter brief it about Wednesday's incident by 23 July.

Twitter said the hackers had targeted its employees "with access to internal systems and tools".

"We know they [the hackers] used this access to take control of many highly-visible (including verified) accounts and Tweet on their behalf," the company said in a series of tweets.

It added that "significant steps" had been taken to limit access to such internal systems and tools while the company's investigation continues.

The tech firm has also blocked users from being able to tweet Bitcoin wallet addresses for the time being.

The UK's National Cyber Security Centre said its officers had "reached out" to the tech firm. "We would urge people to treat requests for money or sensitive information on social media with extreme caution," it said in a statement.

US politicians also have questions. Republican Senator Josh Hawley has written to the company asking if President Trump's account had been vulnerable.

President Trump's account was not compromised, the White House said.

The chair of the Senate Commerce committee has also been in contact with Twitter.

"It cannot be overstated how troubling this incident is, both in its effects and in the apparent failure of Twitter's internal controls to prevent it," Senator Roger Wicker wrote to the firm.

One cyber-security expert said that the breach could have been a lot worse in other circumstances.

"If you were to have this kind of incident take place in the middle of a crisis, where Twitter was being used to either communicate de-escalatory language or critical information to the public, and suddenly it's putting out the wrong messages from several verified status accounts - that could be seriously destabilising," Dr Alexi Drew from King's College London told the BBC.

Emergency response
Twitter earlier had to take the extraordinary step of stopping many verified accounts marked with blue ticks from tweeting altogether.

Password reset requests were also being denied and some other "account functions" disabled.

By 20:30 EDT (00:30 GMT Thursday) users with verified account started to be able to send tweets again, but Twitter said it was still working on a fix.

Skip Twitter post by @jack
To[b]ugh day for us at Twitter. We all feel terrible this happened.

We’re diagnosing and will share everything we can when we have a more complete understanding of exactly what happened.

� to our teammates working hard to make this right.[/b]

— jack (@jack) July 16, 2020

Dmitri Alperovitch, who co-founded cyber-security company CrowdStrike, told Reuters news agency: "This appears to be the worst hack of a major social media platform yet."

On the official account of Mr Musk, the Tesla and SpaceX chief appeared to offer to double any Bitcoin payment sent to the address of his digital wallet "for the next 30 minutes".

"I'm feeling generous because of Covid-19," the tweet added, along with a Bitcoin link address.

The tweets were deleted just minutes after they were first posted.

But as the first such tweet from Mr Musk's account was removed, another one appeared, then a third.

Others targeted included:

reality TV star Kim Kardashian West
former US President Obama
media billionaire Mike Bloomberg
the ride-sharing app Uber
the iPhone-maker Apple
The campaign of Joe Biden, who is the current Democratic presidential candidate, said Twitter had "locked down the account within a few minutes of the breach and removed the related tweet".

Instagram message
The BBC can report from a security source that a web address - cryptoforhealth.com - to which some hacked tweets directed users was registered by a cyber-attacker using the email address mkeyworth5@gmail.com.

The name "Anthony Elias" was used to register the website, but may be a pseudonym - it appears to be a play on "an alias".

Cryptoforhealth is also a registered user name on Instagram, apparently set up contemporaneously to the hack.

The description of the profile read "It was us", alongside a slightly smiling face emoticon.

The Instagram profile also posted a message that said: "It was a charity attack. Your money will find its way to the right place."

In any case, the real identities of the perpetrators are as yet unknown.

Cameron Winklevoss, who was declared the world's first Bitcoin billionaire in 2017 along with his twin brother Tyler, tweeted a message on Wednesday warning people not to participate in the "scam".

Skip Twitter post by @winklevoss
This is a SCAM, DO NOT participate! This is the same attack/takeover that other major crypto twitter accounts are experiencing. Be vigilant! Situation is ongoing.https:///2k9U3PpnKm

— Cameron Winklevoss (@winklevoss) July 15, 2020
End of Twitter post by @winklevoss

In the short time it was online, the link displayed in the tweets of targeted accounts received hundreds of contributions totalling more than $100,000 (£80,000), according to publicly available blockchain records.

The Twitter accounts targeted have millions of followers.

Last year, Twitter chief executive Jack Dorsey's account was hacked, but the company said it had fixed the flaw that left his account vulnerable.

Dr Drew recently co-authored a paper warning about the potential of Twitter being used to sow disinformation.

She said the latest incident highlighted the need for all major social media platforms to check their security measures, particularly in the run up to the US presidential vote in November.

"Social media companies such as Twitter and, Facebook all have a duty to consider the damage and influence their platforms can have on the 2020 election, and I think some companies are taking that more seriously than others," she told the BBC.

"Twitter actually has a good history of being forward-thinking and proactive in this space. But whatever the source of this attack [it seems they have] still not done enough."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-53439585

1 Share

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by hafisuruh: 5:33am On Jul 17, 2020
I'm very sure dey'll get dem
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Davicl: 5:33am On Jul 17, 2020
I shall see....... For those that use Twitter tho, but how can one person be using Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, telegram, IMO, etc shocked shocked shocked

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by gambia(m): 5:33am On Jul 17, 2020
The Internet is no longer secure. Crime doesn't pay, they will surely be caught.

1 Like

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Humblega(m): 5:33am On Jul 17, 2020
If they eventually catch some1................................His/her jail term will b measure with tape measure.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by rawtouch: 5:33am On Jul 17, 2020
grin

has to be an insider job

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by holuwajobar(m): 5:33am On Jul 17, 2020
Nothing dey secure for this life ...

My prayer is that the hacker should not be a Nigerian coz if it turns out to be a Nigerian, even Somalia no go give us VISA agn

Ps--- My other concern is how those guys above first me to comment, una Dy use 5G ni

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by DuMebi1030: 5:34am On Jul 17, 2020
Lobatan cheesy
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Zionist26(m): 5:34am On Jul 17, 2020
Yd
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Psylas2: 5:34am On Jul 17, 2020
Cool

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Nobody: 5:34am On Jul 17, 2020
Just a glimpse of what life on this planet would look like in the near future and what the vulnerabilities are.
Our planet continues to evolve from different phases of digitization.

The next world giants are the tech guys, those would be the top guys eventually in the new digital world.
Centuries or even decades to come, humans existing then would be cyborgs (part human and part machines), microchips under the skin and 70% or more of life would be dependent on the use of computers and tech.

There would be more breakthrough in the aspect of incorporating tech into different aspects of life - biotech, digital currencies, DNA ID and password, e-presence etc.
Electromagnetic waves would control people's mind.

Even though it's not yet feasible if AI would ever be developed to the extent of being a match for natural intelligence, but one certain thing is, AI would get to a tangible extent all the same, with devices and inventions that could make decisions on their own and do tasks on their own without being manned by any human.

Wait for it.

38 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by abrahambest(m): 5:34am On Jul 17, 2020
Ok
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by jericco1(m): 5:35am On Jul 17, 2020
The biggest hack ever grin

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by xmanco42: 5:36am On Jul 17, 2020
July 2020, you still believe in money doubling then you deserve to be scam.

But Mehn those hackers can invite themselves for a job interview.

21 Likes

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by rowland545(m): 5:38am On Jul 17, 2020
This will be the most untraceable scam ever
....Bitcoin is so secure that u can't track the user bcus there is barely any info.

There best bet is to investigate there employee bcus its clear they gave the hackers access from the inside....I wonder y Nigerian politicians r not considering laundering money through Bitcoin.

Oooh I forgot they r old school thiefs

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by longetivity(m): 5:38am On Jul 17, 2020
Terrible
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Slawormir: 5:38am On Jul 17, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Those overrated fuckkking nation will point accusing fingers now o

They will blame russian hackers for this

Anyway sha most hacking is can't be possible except without he help of insider

Twitter employees should be investigated...na those people help the hackers

holuwajobar:

Ps--- My other concern is how those guys above first me to comment, una Dy use 5G ni
Ogbeni nor be 5G them use
Make you stop to dey use glo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Alexun(m): 5:39am On Jul 17, 2020
Phewww
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Kingluqman(m): 5:40am On Jul 17, 2020
Hushpuppy right now grin

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by QuietHammer(m): 5:41am On Jul 17, 2020
rowland545:
This will be the most untraceable scam ever
....Bitcoin is so secure that u can't track the user bcus there is barely any info.

There best bet is to investigate there employee bcus its clear they gave the hackers access from the inside....I wonder y Nigerian politicians r not considering laundering money through Bitcoin.

Oooh I forgot they r old school thiefs

They can't track the user you say?? grin

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by favour32(m): 5:42am On Jul 17, 2020
Onyinbo yahoo na die......dem nor dey make noise like all these yeye 9ja guys wey nor dey let us hear world as dem "pick".
Onyinbo quiet, weda dem hit millions, dem remain noiseless.

10 Likes

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by HundredWays(m): 5:44am On Jul 17, 2020
Dem go still blame Nigerians for this angry
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by IMASTEX: 5:44am On Jul 17, 2020
favour32:
Onyinbo yahoo na die......dem nor dey make noise like all these yeye 9ja guys wey nor dey let us hear world as dem "pick".
Onyinbo quiet, weda dem hit millions, dem remain noiseless.
It is the uncontrollable excitement of believing to have run off poverty, especially when they are in a society that have a system to deliberately make & keep the citizens poor.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by helinues: 5:44am On Jul 17, 2020
Someone probably have access to one of the Twitter admin...

Not outsider job
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by 12345baba(m): 5:48am On Jul 17, 2020
Naija boys on the beatz
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Deffjam: 5:49am On Jul 17, 2020
hafisuruh:
I'm very sure dey'll get dem
they might not, up untill now the never see the group called 'anonymous' catch.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Astrologyfact: 5:49am On Jul 17, 2020
grin All the Best for Them!

Mean While
Shootout to Slawormir...(God be with you.)

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Cocobongo(m): 5:50am On Jul 17, 2020
holuwajobar:
Nothing dey secure for this life ...

My prayer is that the hacker should not be a Nigerian coz if it turns out to be a Nigerian, even Somalia no go give us VISA agn

Bro you are the only reasonable person in this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by chukwuibuipob: 5:50am On Jul 17, 2020
sad
Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by rowland545(m): 6:01am On Jul 17, 2020
QuietHammer:

They can't track the user you say?? grin
through Bitcoin wallet....it's almost impossible

2 Likes

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by tillaman(m): 6:01am On Jul 17, 2020
Na greed dey kill most people why person go tell you to send them money so they can send you double that amount?? It’s just amazing how people fall for some scams
Send me $1k worth of btc so I can send you $3k worth of btc in return angry

6 Likes

Re: Twitter Hack: FBI Investigates Major Attack by Sambjnewspaper(m): 6:02am On Jul 17, 2020
Na wa ooo

Kindly WhatsApp me for your CAC

Ngos Publicaton ,CAC Consent , Name Change e.tc.

Check my signature

Thx.
Sam.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Have You Ever Been Scammed Before??? Share Your Experience. / Man & Son Shot Dead In Taraba, Wife Shot On The Thigh (Photos) / Hoodlums Attack Ologede Market In Oyo, Loot And Set Shops Ablaze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.