Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time (15478 Views)

Poll: Will Siasia Get Off To A Winning Start?

Yes, He Will: 89% (93 votes)
No, He'll lose: 4% (5 votes)
Match Will End In A Draw: 5% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Tunisia (4 - 2): Semi-Final U-17 AFCON On Wednesday 24 April 2013 / Mali Vs Ghana - AFCON 2013 3rd Place (3 - 1) On 9th February 2013 / Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 8:45pm On Feb 06, 2011
Match: Nigeria vs Sierra Leone

Venue: Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, Lagos

Date: Wednesday, February 9

Time of Match: 7pm Nigerian Time

PREVIEW:

Super Eagles of Nigeria

Leone Stars of Sierra Leone

Alright. . .once again, it's time to dorn our green-white-green jerseys to support Samson Siasia & our darling team - the Super Eagles grin as they file out against the Leone Stars of Sierra Leone in a friendly match on the lush green pitch of the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos on Wednesday, the 9th of February at 7pm. This match is in preparation for both team's next round of games in the 2012 African Cup of Nations qualifiers. The Super Eagles of Nigeria will play host to Ethiopia on March 26 while the Leone Stars of Sierra Leone play away to Niger in Niamey a day later.

This match is definitely going to happen as checks at the official website of the Sierra Leone FA (SLFA) confirms it and the Sierra Leone team is supposed to jet in today. Reports have it that our permanently cash-strapped NFF is paying 50,000 dollars as appearance fee to the Sierra Leone Football Association to make this match a reality shocked

Also, invited players of the Super Eagles have started trickling into town and as at the time of this post, unconfirmed reports have it that Osaze Odemwingie, Ahmed Musa & Peter Utaka are already in town. wink

This is Samson Siasia first match as Coach of the Super Eagles and this match marks the return of the Super Eagles to their traditional home - Lagos. Samson Siasia would want to get off to a winning start and he wouldn't want to disappoint the vociferous Lagos football fans, hence he's announced a crack squad to prosecute this match.

Five players are going to be making their debut on Wednesday if they do get to play. These are Micheal Odibe, Victor Moses, Obiora Nwankwo, Joel Obi and Emmanuel Emmenike.  Below is the full squad announced by Samson Siasia  to prosecute the match:

Goalkeepers: Dele Aiyenugba, Vincent Enyeama.
Defenders:  Joseph Yobo, Dele Adeleye, Olubayo Adefemi, Taye Taiwo, Chibuzor Okonkwo, Michael Odibe, Uwa Elderson Echiejile.
Midfielders: John Obi Mikel, Femi Ajilore, Victor Moses, Nwankwo Obiora, Ikechukwu Ibenegbu, Joel Obi.
Forwards:  Victor Obinna, Ahmed Musa, Peter Odemwingie, Victor Anichebe, Emmanuel Emenike, Peter Utaka

The Leone Stars of Sierra Leone and the Super Eagles have met many times in the past and this will be the first meeting between the two teams since they last met in late 2008 in the 2010 World Cup and African Cup of Nations Cup qualifiers.

Kick-off is set for 19:00 hours (7pm) Nigerian time and match will be on SuperSport 3 and hopefully some local stations too.

So, will Samson Siasia get off to a winning start or will the tale be different at the end of the 90 minutes on Wednesday? Drop your opinions, predictions etc and lets know what you think. . . .
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by niceone3(m): 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2011
Where is YAKUBU?
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 9:44pm On Feb 06, 2011
For the cynics and doubting thomases tongue. . . . .

Sierra Leone FA Confirms Friendly With Nigeria

SOURCE

The Public Relations Officer of the Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) Sorie Ibrahim Sesay has informed sierraleonefootball.com that Leone Stars will play a friendly match against Nigeria's Super Eagles in a friendly international match at the Surulere Stadium in Lagos next Wednesday February 9.
He said they received a letter from Nigeria Football Association on Tuesday requesting for the friendly international and the SLFA executive committee has met and has sanctioned it.

The match will serve as part of the two teams’ preparation plans for the next round of games in the 2012 African Cup of Nations qualifiers.

Leone Stars will play away to Niger in Niamey on March 27 whilst Super Eagles battle it out with Ethiopia at home a day earlier. Niger too are playing a build-up match against Morocco on February 9.

sierraleonefootball.com understands that newly appointed Leone Stars Coach for the Niger game the Swedish Lars Olof Mattson will not be in charge of the friendly encounter, instead local Coach Christian Cole has been assigned to be in control.

But Coach Cole told sierraleonefootball.com that he wouldn't make the trip because he’s preparing Ports Authority FC for the CAF Confederations Cup preliminary round second leg match against Toure Kunda Footpro de Mbour of Senegal in Freetown on February 12.

He said he has just invited 22-home players for training commencing on Thursday in Freetown and 17 foreign -based players have been contacted to make their way to Lagos for the friendly but his assistant Prince Toe and Technical Director Sam Obi Metzger will have to be in charge.

Sierra Leone most high profile striker Mohamed kallon who is currently in Freetown is among players invited and interestingly he's making a return to Leone Stars against the team he last played against in 2008. It'll also be Kallon's first match for Leone Stars since he relinquished his captaincy role.

Leone Stars and Super Eagles have met many times in the past and it will be the first meeting between the two teams since they last met in late 2008 in the 2010 World Cup and African Cup of Nations Cup qualifiers.

This friendly match has now cancelled a proposed build-up match between Leone Stars versus either Bolivia or Peru.
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 9:56pm On Feb 06, 2011
Here is the list of players invited by Sierra Leone for the Nigeria Friendly. . . . .

SOURCE

Goalkeepers: Christian Caulker (Sweden), Patrick Bantamoi (Finland)

Defenders: Ibrahim ‘Obreh’ Kargbo (Azerbaijan), Sheriff Suma (Sweden), Ibrahim ‘Marcel’ Koroma (Sweden), Umaru ‘Zingaly’ Bangura (Norway), Ahmed Deen (England)

Midfielders: Rodney Strasser (Italy), Mohamed ‘Medo’ Kamara (Serbia), Samuel Barlay (Azerbaijan), Gibrilla Woobay (Romania)

Forwards: Mohamed ‘Poborsky’ Bangura (Sweden), Ibrahim ‘Tetteh’ Bangura (Sweden), Alfred ‘Zagallo’  Sankoh (Norway), Sulaiman Fullah Sesay (Italy), Sam Obi Metzger Jr. (Finland), Mustapha ‘Hadji’ Bangura (Cyprus)

Shey dem nor go wire our Super Eagles with all the Mustapha Hadji, Poborsky, Zagallo, Medo etc wey dem get for their team? shocked grin grin

African footballers and their adoption of names of foreign footballers. . . .shioor! tongue
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 10:10pm On Feb 06, 2011
Victor Anichebe Replaces Shola Ameobi In Nigeria Squad For Sierra Leone Friendly
. . . . . .Players expected to arrive in Lagos from Sunday
By Lolade Adewuyi
6 Feb 2011 09:19:00

SOURCE

Everton’s Victor Anichebe has been called up by coach Samson Siasia to replace injured Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi for Nigeria’s game against Sierra Leone in an international friendly on February 9.

Ameobi, who was hoping to make his Nigeria debut, was injured in a Premier League game last week.

Peter Odemwingie is expected to lead fellow strikers Peter Utaka and Ahmed Musa into Nigeria’s commercial and economic capital Lagos on Sunday as the countdown begins for Wednesday’s game at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere.

Goalkeper Vincent Enyeama, who won two man-of-the-match awards at the 2010 Fifa World Cup finals in South Africa despite Nigeria’s failure to reach the knock-out stage, will arrive on Monday, as will captain Joseph Yobo and the other players who have been called up for the clash.

Forward Victor Obinna, who has scored five goals in his last two games for West Ham United, is invited alongside new boy Emmanuel Emenike.

Inter’s Joel Obi is another late call-up due to the forced absence of home boy Bartholomew Ibenegbu.

Enyeama will have long-time deputy Dele Aiyenugba understudying him, and defenders Ayodele Adeleye, Taye Taiwo, Michael Odibe, Olubayo Adefemi and Elderson Echiejile will also turn up at the Eko Hotel.

Squad
Goalkeepers: Dele Aiyenugba, Vincent Enyeama.
Defenders: Joseph Yobo, Dele Adeleye, Olubayo Adefemi, Taye Taiwo, Chibuzor Okonkwo, Michael Odibe, Uwa Elderson Echiejile.
Midfielders: John Obi Mikel, Femi Ajilore, Victor Moses, Nwankwo Obiora, Ikechukwu Ibenegbu, Joel Obi.
Forwards: Victor Obinna, Ahmed Musa, Peter Odemwingie, Victor Anichebe, Emmanuel Emenike, Peter Utaka
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 10:27pm On Feb 06, 2011
We suppose dey fast and pray so Mohammed Kallon nor go dey fit to play against us on Wednesday hehehehe grin grin

Kallon May Miss Nigeria Game On Wednesday
By Mohamed Fajah Barrie in Freetown

SOURCE

Sierra Leone star striker Mohamed Kallon may miss Leone Stars friendly International match against Nigeria’s Super Eagles next Wednesday due to fitness problems.

The match will serve as parts of the two teams’ preparation plans for their next round of matches in March in the 2012 African Cup of Nations qualifiers. Leone Stars travel to Niamey to face Niger and Super Eagles host Ethiopia.

Kallon was among 38 players including 17 foreign-based invited by the Leone Stars coach Christian Cole for the match scheduled for the Surulere Stadium in Lagos.

The 31 years old last played a competitive match almost three months ago when he featured in his former club Shaanxi Chanba’s last match in 2010 Chinese top division.

He has admitted to sierraleonefootball.com that he was facing match fitness problems and he was weighing his fitness level to know whether or not he would make the trip to Lagos.

“To play for Sierra Leone is a priority for me because I love my country but I want to make sure that I’m fully fit, so that I can give out my best for my beloved country,” said Kallon.

He added: “I’m weighing my fitness level and if I feel it’s alright for me to give my maximum best then I’ll make the trip but if I’m not happy with my fitness I’ll not make it.

“I always want to give out my best for my country and it can only happen if I’m fully fit. I love my country and my people and playing for Leone Stars always brings joy to me and makes me fulfilled.”

The former Leone Stars captain is yet to join the team’s training in Freetown but has confirmed to sierraleonefootball.com that he would start training on Saturday.

If Kallon makes the trip, it’ll mark his return to Leone Stars after two years and four months absent. He’s expected to sign for a new club in Asia soon.
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by medjai(m): 11:14pm On Feb 06, 2011
This is way better than playing Guatemala.
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 11:42pm On Feb 06, 2011

This is way better than playing Guatemala.

By far, by far. . . .being that Sierra Leone is ranked higher & also a stronger football Nation than Guatemala and also the fact that our next round of matches are going to be against African oppositions.

I even read in a Newspaper (The Guardian of Thursday 3rd February) that a friendly match with Mozambique had been sealed and was originally scheduled for this date with the Lagos State Government ready to pay the appearance fee of the Mozambique team, sponsor & also foot the bills for the match but the corrupt NFF opted to play Guatemala cos they wanted to travel abroad, earn estacodes and fill their pockets sad

This our NFF sha. . .na only God go help us undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 7:29am On Feb 07, 2011
By the way, Heartland's Batholomew Ikechukwu Ibenegbu has been dropped from the team cos he's injured

This was revealed by Samson Siasia via a tweet on twitter
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 8:23am On Feb 07, 2011
Supersport.com has it that the  match is to kick off at 7pm @ night instead of the usual 4pm we're used to.

I like the fact that it'll be played at night under floodlights. It'd be good for the teams as players wouldn't burn out & get tired easily and the quality of football will be better. The only downside is that few fans will be at the stadium and oh. . .NEPA fit seize light and throw the stadium into darkness grin

Meanwhile, publicity for the match is zero as I'm yet to hear or see a single advert on radio or tv. Surely the NFF, organisers & sponsors can do better undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 9:24am On Feb 07, 2011
66 views, only 2 replies and only 2 votes (with one of them being mine) in the polls?

C'mon guys, show the Super Eagles some love. . .at least for Samson Siasia's sake cheesy

Kai! I nor know se na so Nigerians tire for Super Eagles matter reach cry
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 10:23am On Feb 07, 2011
Mikel Out, Moses Doubtful For S/Leone

SOURCE

John Mikel Obi is not expected to play any part in Wednesday's friendly against Sierra Leone while the arrival of Wigan's Victor Moses is in doubt.

Officials told KickOffNigeria.com that Mikel and the Chelsea medical staff informed Samson Siasia that the midfielder would be unable to train or play on artificial turf as a result of his recent surgery.

Mikel suffered medial ligament damage when he was caught by Robin van Persie in a nasty late challenge during Chelsea's defeat to Arsenal in December.

The Nigerian has only just returned to first team football after undergoing surgery and spending over four weeks on the sidelines "They told the coach that if he plays on artificial turf now, it could cause a swelling in the knee where he had surgery," an official said. "But he is still expected to be in camp and meet up with the rest of the squad."

That however, is not the case with Wigan's Moses, who is said to be developing cold feet "His advisers called to say that maybe this is not the right time for him yet, as it would be better for him to focus on establishing himself at club level."

Officials remain hopeful that the youngster will join up with the rest of the team, although those expectations are derived more from optimism than certainty.
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 10:54am On Feb 07, 2011
Nigeria Face Leone Stars’ Test – Live on SuperSport
07 February 2011, 08:19

SOURCE

The World of Champions has secured the rights to broadcast the international friendly between the Nigerian men’s national team and their Sierra Leonean counterparts live on SuperSport 3 from 8pm (CAT) on Wednesday.

The game will be the first competitive test for head coach Samson Siasia since he took charge of the Nigerian team in December.

Siasia said he is looking forward to his first game and will serve as an opportunity to see his players firsthand.

“This will afford me and my backroom staff the chance to look at some of our new and young players. We will use the game as part of preparation for the Nations Cup qualifier against Ethiopia. Playing in Lagos will help us prepare since our Nations Cup qualifier will also hold there.”

Nigeria should have the likes of John Mikel Obi, Vincent Enyeama, Obinna Nsofor and Victor Anichebe for this game against Sierra Leone’s foreign stars that include Mohammed Kallon, John Trye, Sherif Suma, Ibrahim Koroma, Ibrahim Kargbo, Benjamin Sesay, Ibrahim Bangura, Mohammed Bangura and Sulaiman Fullah Sesay.

The international friendly is the first game that will take place in Lagos in more than a decade and SuperSport will bring all the stars, the stats and action live from the Teslim Balogun Stadium.

Broadcast details:
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
20:00 CAT (7pm Nigerian Time) - SS3N International friendly: Nigeria v Sierra Leone (live)
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by mukina2: 12:23pm On Feb 07, 2011
hahahahaha grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by dave2(m): 12:33pm On Feb 07, 2011
mukina2:

Why are u laughing now
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by ideylaff: 1:30pm On Feb 07, 2011
shocked shocked[b]Shooo, me I know Know say we still get Snr National Team oooo[/b] grin

Yakubu Aiyesuni still dey dia, 2?
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by denony(m): 1:33pm On Feb 07, 2011
Good to have my brother Ikechukwu Ibenegbu in that squad, he is talented
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by Emmysteve(m): 1:36pm On Feb 07, 2011
Who is this fool that voted siasia will lose. Enemy of progress
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by phraze(m): 1:42pm On Feb 07, 2011
we are at it again, gudluck green w green
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by Emmysteve(m): 1:47pm On Feb 07, 2011
I still cant spot yakubu here grin shocked
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by FBS: 1:58pm On Feb 07, 2011
I heard/read that 3 home based players made the squad including the hat-trick hero Ehiosun Ekigho from Warri Wolves.
Will he get to start?
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by honeric01(m): 2:05pm On Feb 07, 2011
Emmysteve:

Well the person's got his fundamental human right to vote for whoever and whatever result he/she wants.
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by ideylaff: 3:15pm On Feb 07, 2011

@ Emmysteve,  wetin concern you with anoda pesin vote,      you be FBI OR SSS grin

THE pesin don freely exercise hin right , do ya own now, abi dem born Somi with fish,

"she won bi Somi po mo eja ni" lol

listen 2 more Timaya, you go no say, make i do my own make u do ya own na so life be,

just pulling ur legs, grin grin smiley
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by otokx(m): 4:04pm On Feb 07, 2011
Where is Rabiu Ibrahim?
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by Meldrick(m): 4:50pm On Feb 07, 2011
Emmysteve:

Have you ever heard of the word Democracy? Do you understand what is meant by Fundamental Human Rights? You deserve 60 hot slaps oh your right cheek alone.
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 07, 2011
mukina2:

undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by mukina2: 5:23pm On Feb 07, 2011
^
you don reessh here? grin

good game watch us win cool grin that is if the mofos nor sell the game sha tongue
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by Emmysteve(m): 5:55pm On Feb 07, 2011
Guys abeg free me. I'm only exercising my freedom of speech.
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by dextype: 6:02pm On Feb 07, 2011
Good to see Moses and Joel in the squad but where is Uche Kalu?
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 07, 2011
mukina2:

^
you don reessh here? grin

good game watch us win cool grin that is if the mofos nor sell the game sha tongue

yes, i don reach here, battle line drawn Queen Muki cool
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by semid4lyfe(m): 6:12pm On Feb 07, 2011
Me, I nor think Super Eagles go fit win o undecided

Shey una nor see se Sierra Leone get Poborsky, Medo, Mustapha Hadji, Zagallo, Metzeger and Marcel for their team? grin grin

In fact, na fasting and prayers I dey now tongue
Re: Nigeria Vs Sierra Leone On Wednesday 9th February @ 7pm Nig Time by Emmysteve(m): 6:19pm On Feb 07, 2011
Meldrick:

Have you ever heard of the word Democracy? Do you understand what is meant by Fundamental Human Rights? You deserve 60 hot slaps oh your right cheek alone.
. Oya nah  tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Peng Shuai: Apprehension Grows Over Missing Chinese Tennis Star / Juan Mata Signs Fresh Manchester United Contract Extension / Keshi Calls Up 30 Players For The Summer Matches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.