Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,822 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense (852 Views)

My Uncles Fixed My Late Father's Burial Without Informing Me, His First Son / 32-year-old Ghanaian Virgin Seeks Divorce Over Husband’s Huge Manhood / What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by ahiboilandgas: 9:20am On Jul 22, 2020
I having been wondering my friend from edo is about to bury his mum the money raised is now 3.9m for for the ceremony....but his sisters are saying its not enough we as his friends contributed around 500k ....i really cant understand why make your kids financially handicap in the name of culture or religion.....pls someone should explain to me
Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by BrutalLafamilia: 9:53am On Jul 22, 2020
It is to show that you are well to do, my family member even graded the village road when he lost his father, an important person is accorded a big burial where you celebrate his life.
Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 22, 2020
Of course, we are in a primitive society.
Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Musty112: 10:13am On Jul 22, 2020
Muslims ehn. Die today, get buried today. Latest the next day if the time of death is late. Because of the grief of the bereaved, it is advised that sympathisers bring food along for the bereaved. Even marriage, the best of them is that one with the least expense incurred..not to talk of burial. Give yourself peace of mind, the dead is dead and whatever you do behind him has no bearing on his hereafter.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by pocohantas(f): 11:06am On Jul 22, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
I having been wondering my friend from edo is about to bury his mum the money raised is now 3.9m for for the ceremony....but his sisters are saying its not enough we as his friends contributed around 500k ....

Many of us are also looking for explanations.

How much did his sisters contribute?

If you want an extravagant ceremony, be ready to sponsor it, that is my own. I am not joining to raise 500k for a burial (In addition to 3.4m), when there are many needy LIVING persons. It goes against the ethics of common sense and humanity.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 22, 2020
I've been asking this same question for a while now but the answers I keep getting makes absolutely no sense to me.

Africa and useless/archaic traditions, smh.

1 Like

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by ahiboilandgas: 11:52am On Jul 22, 2020
pocohantas:

If you want an extravagant ceremony, be able to sponsor it, that is my own. I am not joining to raise 500k for a burial, when there are many needy LIVING persons. It is against the ethics of common sense and humanity.
he alone gave them 2m naira we his friend contributed 500k ....

1 Like

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by GrammarNazi1(m): 11:53am On Jul 22, 2020
Elder0001:
I've been asking this same question for a while now but the answers I keep getting makes absolutely no sense to me.

Africa and useless/archaic traditions, smh.
...answers...make...

1 Like

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by jslimz(f): 11:55am On Jul 22, 2020
To me I feel it's just show off. I'll rather spend while such a person is alive than spend at his/her demise, because the amount spent adds no value whatsoever.

2 Likes

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 22, 2020
jslimz:
To me I feel it's just show off. I'll rather spend while such a person is alive than spend at his/her demise, because the amount spent adds no value whatsoever.

Exactly.
Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by bukatyne(f): 12:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
In theory, large 'befitting' burial ceremony shows mama or papa left children of timber and caliber behind. In practice, not so.

It is also an opportunity to celebrate the dead (who don't know a thing) and have family reunions.

2 Likes

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Hathor5(f): 1:08pm On Jul 22, 2020
pocohantas:

If you want an extravagant ceremony, be able to sponsor it, that is my own. I am not joining to raise 500k for a burial, when there are many needy LIVING persons. It is against the ethics of common sense and humanity.

One way of avoiding it is to discuss such issues within the family. Me and my siblings have agreed that we want the cheapest burial possible. Some older folks in the family don't like our progressive approach but it's ok. Change can start with us.

I have even started saving money for my own burial as not to burden the family in times of grief because they will miss me very very much. grin

1 Like

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Mirror97: 2:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
Burial ceremony is a total waste of resourses. I'll rather immortalise them after they are gone. I told my parents already. No burial party for you ooo

1 Like

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by pocohantas(f): 3:14pm On Jul 22, 2020
Hathor5:

One way of avoiding it is to discuss such issues within the family. Me and my siblings have agreed that we want the cheapest burial possible. Some older folks in the family don't like our progressive approach but it's ok. Change can start with us.

I have even started saving money for my own burial as not to burden the family in times of grief because they will miss me very very much. grin

My sister, no be every sibling get same mindset. Sometimes, one may need to take a stand and allow them sort themselves out. I am very averse to some kind spending, make person no try make me party to such.

Lmao! That is a very nice to thing to do. A lot of Nigerians do not prepare for their death. They just keep binding and casting it.

3 Likes

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 22, 2020

4 Likes

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Glendoni: 4:03pm On Jul 22, 2020
pocohantas:

Truer words have never been said
Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Hathor5(f): 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2020
pocohantas:

My sister, no be every sibling get same mindset. Sometimes, one may need to take a stand and allow them sort themselves out. I am very averse to some kind spending, make person no try make me party to such.

Fortunately my siblings are very reasonable. This suggestion came from my junior brother and I was like YES! I don't need you to spend money on me after I have passed. Spend money on me while I am still breathing! grin

Lmao! That is a very nice to thing to do. A lot of Nigerians do not prepare for their death. They just keep binding and casting it.

I must admit that I copied it from oyinbo. They even have saving funds for this because even without a lavish party, a burial can be quite costly.

1 Like

Re: What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 22, 2020
Can be very senseless to say the least?? Money you did not spend on the person when alive, how then will it be felt when such person dies?? I see such as waste. The dead is dead.
That is why the Muslims really gats my heart on this.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Come See Bags: Laptop Bag, Travelling Bags, Shopping Bags, Make Up Bags, Undies / 5 Best Mattresses in Nigeria to Help You Sleep Better this Year / Married Men Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.